Star Guardian 4
Chapter 22: Uv’ek System

Copyright© 2021 by Duncan7

“Ship, where is the Commodore?” I asked.

“She is in the lido, Captain,” replied Ship.

Why hadn’t they woken me up for the meeting? This was strange.

I left my cabin at a brisk pace and travelled the short distance to the lido. As I stepped through the double doors, the salty and slightly humid air was more a distraction than a welcomed change.

Jem lay relaxing in her hammock. I moved a chair and sat beside her.

“Good morning, Captain. Glad to see you’re up,” she said.

“Why didn’t you wake me for the meeting??” I tried hard to mask my emotions but failed.

“We tried. You were so tired from yesterday, you needed rest more than you needed a meeting.”

I looked at her, searching for a hidden meaning.

“The meeting wasn’t that important. Your repairs outside Ship were essential for our survival. Brian, you saved us.”

“But I thought the meeting was important...”

“It was. Saria is investigating weapons and tactics to use next time. Ship is going to make further repairs once we reach the Uv’ek system. Everything is under control,” she said.

Once again, I experienced things slipping from my hands. I felt I had to be there, but I wasn’t essential.

I sighed.

“So there’ll be a next time?” I asked.

“Of course. We can’t let them build more vessels. Soon they might travel to other systems to cause destruction.”

I nodded. This was speculation, but she’d already decided. That vessel was openly hostile to anything in the system.

I relaxed into my seat as best as possible and took several deep breaths.

“I’d rather not repair Ship in the middle of a battle again.”

“Agreed. You shouldn’t have to do that. Now we know what’s waiting there, we’ll be ready.”

“Yes, I walked into that system thinking it was empty. I’ll be more careful in the future.”

“I would have done the same thing. At least we survived and learned from the experience.”

I sat and breathed more deep breaths.

“Laine and Cathy are working on recipes in the main dining lounge. We could volunteer to taste test their work,” said Jem.

“I am rather hungry.”

Soon we left the lido together.


A few days later, the hyper-drive went offline and Ship decelerated to sub-light speed as we approached the Uv’ek system.

I sat in the main bridge with everyone, watching the tactical display.

“Attention, Uv’ek system control has contacted us. We’re cleared to approach Uv’ek three,” said Ship.

“Ship, please take us in,” I said.

On the tactical display, the dot representing Ship moved ahead. Various other blue dots showed where the system defences were. Previously, we set this system up with plenty of defences. I wanted our friends, Mina and Zune, protected.

About halfway to the planet, we received a hail.

“Welcome back to Uv’ek!” said an enthusiastic Mina.

On the tactical display, a window showed Mina and Zune standing facing us.

“We’ll be with you in a couple of hours. We have lots to share with you since our last visit,” said Jem.

“Looking forward to it, Commodore. See you soon,” said Mina.

Soon after, the call ended.

Saria was examining a console nearby.

“Lieutenant?” I asked.

“I was checking on their defences. They’ve had no visitors since we last left,” she replied.

“That’s good to know,” I said.

Yuhi blinked and sent a thought to me.

“This is Mina who created the garden?”

“Yes. She and her partner Zune re-colonized the planet. They grow crops there. Mina preferred it to policing the galaxy,” I sent back.

Yuhi blinked a few more times, but said nothing more.

As we approached orbit, Jem spoke to everyone present.

“Let’s all get changed into away team uniforms. We’ll be departing shortly,” she said.

“Commodore, I’d like to remain with Ship to oversee the repairs,” I said.

Jem glanced at me briefly, then she nodded.

Soon, they all left the main bridge.


In the shuttle, Jem turned to Cathy and gestured towards the pilot’s seat.

“You’re piloting us to the planet today. I’ll be monitoring you, ready to help if needed,” said Jem.

“Yes, Commodore,” said Cathy.

She took her seat. Jem sat in the co-pilot’s seat and watched as Cathy did her pre-flight checks.

Soon, the outer shuttle bay door opened, and the shuttle left for the surface. Most of the flight was on autopilot, but Cathy remained vigilant for any issues.

Yuhi, Laine, and Saria sat in the passenger seats. Much of the planet surface was green with vegetation.

Laine said, “I hope Brian is all right.”

Yuhi blinked and looked back over her shoulder, but she said nothing.

Saria fiddled with her laser carbine, checking the power cells. Even though it was a friendly planet, protected from outside attacks, it paid to be prepared.

The ground got closer every minute as they sped towards the landing area. For the final approach, Cathy switched from thrusters to anti-grav and performed a smooth landing.

Jem smiled, “excellent landing, Cathy!”

Outside, they saw Mina and Zune approach. Cathy shut down the shuttle engines while Saria opened the airlock.

They stepped outside and greeted Mina and Zune.

“Welcome back to Uv’ek three,” said Mina.


I waited as the shuttle descended. The entire crew except me were inside that shuttle, and I wanted to see them safely down before starting the repairs.

“Ship, what’s the repair schedule?” I asked.

On the tactical display, a list of components, schematics, and a timeline appeared. I didn’t pay it too much attention.

“We have a manufacturing facility in the asteroid belt. I’ve sent it instructions to build components, which will be ready when we arrive.”

“Good. Take us there once the shuttle lands.”

“Confirmed.”

“Captain, the others are thinking about you.” The message entered my head, obviously from Yuhi.

“Understood. I’m the captain, and I must oversee repairs,” I sent back.

There was nothing more. Soon after, the shuttle landed safely. Ship broke orbit, and we left for the manufacturing facility.

I realized I missed Cathy’s first shuttle flight. I guess Jem took care of that.

“Attention, estimated arrival at the manufacturing facility in forty-two minutes,” said Ship.

“Acknowledged. I’ll be in my cabin. Let me know if you need my help,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship. I didn’t expect to be needed. Ship had a manufacturing facility and maintenance bots to do the hard work.

With everything organized, I left the main bridge.


On the planet surface, Mina and Zune took their visitors around for a tour.

“You’ve made a lot of changes since our last visit,” said Jem.

“We’ve grown and divided the plants. Then we moved them outside into plantations,” said Zune.

“I see you’re growing coffee under the shade of those trees,” said Cathy.

“Yes, the information said they grow well under shade. Later we might try at a higher altitude. It’s a matter of finding the right variables,” replied Mina.

Next to Cathy, Yuhi was interested in the plants and the conversation with Mina.

Yuhi gently touched one of the coffee plants and examined its shape.

“Yuhi, I understand you’re from Gober,” said Mina.

She turned her large eyes towards Mina.

“Yes. Now I serve as crew,” replied Yuhi.

“That’s fantastic,” said Mina. “You have a diverse crew, Commodore.”

“It just happened that way,” said Jem with a smile.

“I don’t understand why Brian didn’t visit,” said Mina.

“He wanted to stay aboard to oversee the repairs,” said Jem.

“And upgrades,” said Saria.

“Upgrades?” asked Jem.

“For the return. Just a little something to improve our chances,” replied Saria.

Jem nodded.

“He takes his role as Captain seriously,” said Mina.

“I think our last battle upset him, and he needs time alone to process it,” added Jem.

“Perhaps we should go inside, and you can update us further,” said Mina.

“That’s a good idea,” replied Jem.


Mina and Zune led their visitors inside and into the lounge area. Once everyone took a seat, Jem began.

“Since our last visit, the Gobers sent several vessels after us, or rather after Brian. Yuhi was part of that effort. She is psychic, and she tracked us using her psychic talents.

Mina looked speculatively at Yuhi, who returned her look and blinked.

“We defeated the Gobers, and they gave Yuhi to us in exchange for their freedom. They can’t ever return home, because their government would kill them. And without Yuhi, the Gobers can’t track us,” said Jem.

“Since then, Yuhi has joined our crew. She has helped us on multiple occasions,” said Cathy.

Mina looked at Cathy and tilted her head slightly to one side. Cathy just smiled.

“After that, we visited the Norco system, where we battled the Varech and won. Then we liberated the Oysian system from Tikaani occupation. Since then, we formed a new alliance,” said Jem.

“You formed an alliance with the Oysians?”

“The Oysians, Dentra, and Quard. We call it the Baglogi Alliance. We hope to add other friendly systems, eventually.”

“That sounds like the Ori Confederation,” said Mina. Mina was an Ori.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close