Star Guardian 4 - Cover

Star Guardian 4

Copyright© 2021 by Duncan7

Chapter 23: EAM system

Several days later, the hyper-drive went offline and Ship decelerated to sub-light speed as we arrived in the system we now referred to as the EAM system.

“Ship, engage cloak, deploy cloaked probes,” said Saria.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

She stood in front of the tactical display as I sat beside Jem, watching.

The blue dots representing the probes spread out from Ship and moved into the system.

“How do we find the vessel?” asked Cathy.

“We don’t. It will find us, or rather our dreadnought probe,” replied Saria.

Ship followed the probes into the system. I felt useless sitting there watching while Saria directed things. It used to be me in charge. I thought about what might happen next, and what our counter-moves could be.

A few minutes later, Saria gave her order. “Ship, activate dreadnought probe one.”

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

A probe uncloaked and projected the image of a dreadnought vessel. It continued, and we followed close behind.

We waited for the enemy vessel to appear.

“Any sign?” asked Saria.

“Negative, Lieutenant,” replied Ship.

“Order the probe to turn ten degrees to starboard and send out a hail to all vessels. Continue to follow in its wake,” said Saria.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

A few minutes later, the enemy vessel appeared, and accelerated towards the probe.

“Ship, change course to intercept the enemy vessel. Fire rail guns when ready,” said Saria.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

Seconds later, the enemy vessel fired on the probe. The shot passed through the illusion of the dreadnought. Just after that, we experienced a vibration throughout our Ship as the rail guns fired.

“Direct hit,” said Ship.

The enemy vessel exploded into fragments.

“Good job, Lieutenant,” said Jem.

“Wait!” I said.

On the tactical display, another red dot appeared, and fired on the probe, scoring a hit. The probe and the illusion of a dreadnought winked out of existence.

“There’s another vessel??” asked Cathy.

“Crap!” said Jem.

“Ship, activate dreadnought probe two. Move us closer to it,” said Saria.

So far, the enemy vessel hadn’t detected us. We closed in on the second dreadnought probe.

The enemy vessel transported to a position ahead of the dreadnought probe.

“Order the probe to take evasive action,” said Saria.

“We can’t sneak up on the enemy vessel like that,” I said.

Saria thought for a moment.

“Ship, direct the probe to travel toward us.”

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

On the display, the dreadnought probe turned in our direction. I had a sense of dread in my soul.


“Lieutenant, what’s your reason for directing the probe back toward us?” asked Jem.

“We need to get close enough with our rail gun to reduce their reaction time,” replied Saria.

“It also puts us at greater risk,” said Jem.

“If I may suggest, direct the probe not at us, but to one side. If the enemy vessel fires from behind the probe, it could hit us,” I said.

“Agreed,” said Jem. “Ship, adjust the probe’s course.”

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

On the tactical display, the red dot blinked out and reappeared close to the dreadnought probe.

“Ship, adjust our heading and fire when ready,” said Saria.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

We adjusted our course to line up with the enemy vessel. A moment later, the rail gun fired.

“Missed,” said Ship.

The red dot was gone from the tactical display.

“Is it learning from us??” asked Laine.

“Yes,” replied Saria. “Ship, change course. Cloak the dreadnought probe.”

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

A few moments later, the enemy vessel fired at our previous position. Fortunately, we were no longer there, so they fired into space.

“Crap! That was close,” said Jem.

“We’ve worn out that trick,” said Saria.

“I’ll say! What now?” asked Jem.

“We try a new trick,” said Saria. “Ship, order probes three and four to meet up with us. Move us toward them.”

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

It impressed me she hadn’t run out of tricks. I also started thinking of what I could do when she did.

A few minutes later, we met up with the two probes.

“Do we have a location for the enemy vessel?” asked Saria.

“Negative, Lieutenant,” replied Ship.

“Move probes three and four into formation Saria-one with us, then advance towards the third planet,” said Saria.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

The tactical display showed the two probes and Ship were in a triangular arrangement. We moved further into the system.

“Ship, activate dreadnought probe three,” said Saria.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

The image of a dreadnought became visible ahead and to our right.

A few minutes later, the enemy vessel appeared.

“Ship, cloak probe three, activate probe four,” said Saria.

Before the enemy vessel could fire, the dreadnought on our right disappeared. A dreadnought probe appeared a distance ahead on our left.

“That’ll confuse it,” said Laine.

“Perhaps. I only need to distract it,” said Saria.

The enemy vessel turned to face its new target.

“Ship, accelerate in formation with probe four. If the enemy vessel takes the bait, adjust our course to get behind it,” said Saria.

The enemy vessel gave chase.

“It’s working,” said Cathy.

“We’re not close enough yet. Ship, cloak probe four, activate probe three,” said Saria.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

The enemy vessel turned to pursue the new target. As it did so, it got in between us and the probes.

“Ship, continue in formation and turn ten degrees left,” said Saria.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

We were leading the enemy vessel behind our probes and ahead of us. This was getting close enough to fire.

“Ship, once we get to optimal distance, fire!”

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Are we getting too close?” I asked.

“We can’t afford the risk that they’ll blink out again,” replied Saria.

The enemy vessel was much closer now than when we destroyed the first one. Soon, we felt a vibration throughout our Ship as the rail guns fired.

“Direct hit,” said Ship.

The enemy vessel exploded.

“Shields up, bank hard to starboard,” said Saria.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

We barely missed running into the doomed vessel. Several chunks hit our shields, and they winked out.

“Our port shields are down. The probable cause is EAM,” said Ship.

“Crap! I hoped that’s the last one,” said Jem.


“Great job, Lieutenant!” I said.

“Thank you, Sir!”

“Search the system. We must find all remaining androids,” I said.

“Yes, Sir. Ship, deploy probes to scan the system. Take us to the third planet,” said Saria.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Let’s hope there was only two vessels,” said Cathy.

We all looked at her.

“Ship, activate dreadnought probe one. Send out a hail and cloak after a few minutes. Report any response,” said Saria.

She turned to Jem. “You discovered the orbital station on the third planet. I suspect they’re nearby.”

“Agreed,” replied Jem.

The tactical display showed information on the surrounding area, while Cathy fetched a tray of coffees from the food dispenser.

I took a cup from her. “Thank you,” I said in my limited English.

“You’re welcome,” she replied, in English. Then she continued handing out drinks.

A few minutes later, Ship announced we had arrived at the third planet.

“Ship, show us a tactical view of the planet surface and all adjacent moons,” said Saria.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

We saw a view of the third planet on the tactical display, together with various data.

“What are we looking for?” asked Cathy.

“When we find it, you’ll know,” I replied.

It didn’t take us long. The tactical display highlighted a small moon in a close orbit. Parts of it showed up in red.

“We’ve found them!” said Saria.

“Ship, magnify that image,” I said.

The image zoomed in to show a large vessel shaped object.

“It looks like vessel number three,” said Jem.

“Ship, bring us close to that moon. Target the vessel with the rail guns. Fire when in range,” said Saria.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

I noticed something. “That vessel is getting ready to lift off from the lunar surface!”

“We’ve arrived just in time. I hope they haven’t completed the teleport yet,” said Jem.

Soon, we felt a familiar vibration as the rail guns fired.

“Direct hit,” said Ship.

The vessel exploded on the surface, spewing debris in all directions.

“That probably took out their manufacturing facility too,” said Saria.

“Amazing!” said Laine.

“Lieutenant, make sure no androids survive, or they’ll build more,” said Jem.

“Ship, deploy a probe equipped with the special nano-bots. Make it spray the area on the moon,” said Saria.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

I looked to Jem, “special nano-bots?”

“We designed those for the androids. After the orbital station exploded, we needed them,” replied Jem.

I nodded. Then I had a scary thought.

“Ship, check all internal sensors for intruders or abnormalities,” I said.

“Confirmed. None detected,” replied Ship.

Saria looked at me, her face showing frustration. I shrugged.

“Excuse me, Lieutenant. Please continue,” I said.

I went to the food dispenser and got myself a fresh coffee. The hardest part was over. As Captain, I didn’t want to leave my post until they declared the system clear of threats.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close