Star Guardian 4 - Cover

Star Guardian 4

Copyright© 2021 by Duncan7

Chapter 27: Rescue

Back in their holding cell, Jem turned to Laine.

“Laine, it’s Brian. He’s alive! They’re coming for us!” said Jem.

Laine looked at Jem with a smile.

“I expected as much. He rescued me twice before,” said Laine.

“Yes! He said Yuhi is tracking us through me. We need to keep together. Don’t let them separate us if you can.”

Laine nodded.

“Who’s behind all this?” asked Laine.

“I don’t know. I don’t recognize their species. They might work for others, though.”

“Perhaps the Lagaid again?”

“I don’t know, Laine. We need to hold on until Brian and the others catch up with us.”

The tray sat on the floor. She wondered how long she could survive without food or drink.

“Laine, if you have to, eat the food or drink the water. I have to remain conscious for them to track us. The worst is that the drugs will make you unconscious,” said Jem.

“Understood, Commodore. If it’s all the same, I’ll hold off on eating. Once we’re back aboard Ship, we can eat and drink all we want,” replied Laine.

Jem grinned.

“Coffee is first on my list.”


I met with Yuhi in the lido. This was Jem’s favourite location between missions. Yuhi and I sat in chairs beside her empty hammock. I thought the familiar would somehow help me connect with her.

Yuhi closed her eyes. I did the same and reached out to Jem with my mind. Soon, I sensed her presence. I also sensed Yuhi on the call, so to speak.

“Brian, is that you?”

“Yes. We’re tracking you. I wanted to learn any intel you might have,” I replied psychically.

“They’re keeping us in a cell aboard a vessel. I don’t recognize the species of our captors. I’ve seen nothing outside this cell.”

“Understood. Is Laine doing well?”

“As well as expected. We can’t last long without water, and they drugged the water.”

“If you must, drink a small amount of the water. We have a bearing and have an idea where you’re headed. Were about two days behind you,” I said.

“If you know where we’re headed, do you know who’s behind it?” she asked.

“No. Our last records show that system was uninhabited.”

”[Sigh] Understood. I’ll let you know when we arrive in the system,” she said.

“Yuhi, can you confirm they’re on the same heading?” I asked.

“Yes, Captain. They should arrive in less than a day,” replied Yuhi. Her mind-speak was strong, and seemed more confident, and more authentic than her regular voice.

“Commodore, you have less than a day until you arrive, and we’ll arrive two days later. Hold on until then,” I said.

“Will do. Our captors won’t know what happened [grin],” she said.

I relaxed and opened my eyes. The equivalent of ending the call. Yuhi opened her eyes, only to blink at me.

“Yuhi, I wish the others could communicate with their minds,” I said.

“It’s a rare talent, even among Gobers. It surprised me to find two of you with it aboard this vessel.”

“Is it possible for Saria or Laine, or Cathy to develop such a talent?”

“Unknown, Commodore. I could practice with them, and perhaps they might develop.”

“Talk to Saria first. She’ll understand the tactical advantage.”

“Yes, Captain.”

Yuhi hopped off her chair and left the lido.


Several hours later, Jem noticed the background hum stopped.

“Laine, did you hear that?” she asked.

“Huh? Sorry Commodore, I’m rather groggy after drinking some of the water,” replied Laine.

“Of course, don’t worry. I think we just arrived at our destination.”

“Ahh,” mumbled Laine.

“They still have to orbit a planet or rendezvous with another vessel. Lie down and rest.”

Jem closed her eyes and thought of Brian. Soon, she could sense his presence.

“Brian, we’ve arrived!”

“Good, we’ll arrive in under two days. Try not to provoke your captors until then. If they transport you via shuttle, gather what intel you can.”

“Will do. See you in two days.”

His presence was gone. Jem turned to Laine, but she was already asleep. Jem lay down on the floor and rested. Although she was both hungry and thirsty, she was determined to keep her wits, to watch and report back to Brian.


I’d gathered the crew in the main bridge.

“I want to update you on the status. The Commodore reports they dropped out of hyperspace in the Doevinski system. We’re less than two days from arrival there,” I said.

“What about Laine?” asked Cathy.

“She is alive and well. They’re both sharing a cell aboard the vessel in transit. Their captors gave them drugged food and water. I advised them to consume small amounts of the water,” I replied.

“Their captors don’t know we’re in communication and that we’re in pursuit?” asked Saria.

“Correct, Commander. We’ve got the element of surprise. Also, since their captors aren’t Uslu Braen, they’ve not met us before,” I said.

Saria smiled at me. I was sure she’d come up with a sneaky plan to take full use of our advantage.

“But we still have two days to reach them. Anything could happen!” said Cathy.

“We nearly crashed into a star, but we didn’t. I don’t worry about what might happen or what nearly happened. We know they’re alive and well. We know their location, and we’ll arrive there soon.”

She looked at me.

“This has happened before, and we’ve always succeeded,” I said. I briefly remembered the loss of Koluna, but I kept it to myself. Apart from her, we always succeeded.

She didn’t smile, but she nodded. I hoped she hadn’t picked up on my pause. I didn’t need doubt sabotaging us now.

Soon, Cathy left.

Saria looked at me.

“Something on your mind, Commander?”

“Yes, Captain. Thank you for putting me on the stealth communication program.”

I thought for a moment. “Do you mean working with Yuhi?”

“Yes, Sir! It might not work, but perhaps with her help, I hope to succeed.”

“Excellent! Keep up that attitude and you’ll get there in the end. I believe we all have a latent potential. If anyone can help you realize that potential, it’s Yuhi,” I said. I looked toward Yuhi, who blinked at me. Even if it didn’t work, the impact on her morale was worth it.

I left the main bridge, headed for my cabin.


Some time later, the door of their holding cell opened. Two guards stood at the doorway.

“Laine, wake up!” said Jem.

Laine stirred and looked up groggily at Jem.

“Time to go,” said Jem. She helped her crewmate stand, and they faced the guards, who gestured they should exit.

Jem and Laine followed the guards’ directions, taking them to the airlock and into a shuttle. Soon they sat in passenger seats, under the watchful eyes of their captors.

Jem said nothing, not wanting to antagonize the guards. They must survive until Brian arrives.

The shuttle detached from the vessel and descended into the atmosphere. Jem studied her environment for any visible clues, while her guards were confused. They expected the prisoners to be defeated, resigned to their fate.

Had the guards been smarter, they might have reported the incident. Fortunately, guarding two female prisoners was a menial task, and the guards weren’t that sharp. As long as their prisoners arrived intact, that was all that mattered.

Once the shuttle landed, the guards ushered them out and into a ground vehicle without windows.

Jem and Laine followed directions without complaints, and they travelled to their destination without issue.

The destination was a compound, where the guards herded them into a building. Soon, they were in another cell and the guards slammed the door behind them.

“Ooh, it has a window!” said Laine.

They both looked out the window. It had bars on, and they saw various buildings inside the compound, with beings moving about.

“I don’t recognize them. They’re similar to the guards, though,” said Jem.

“There are females and children, too. This place looks primitive, but they’re space-faring. I don’t understand it,” said Laine.

“We’ve just over a day before Brian arrives. Play it low key until they arrive. I don’t want to provoke the guards to harm us,” said Jem.

“Understood. Do you think they’ll drug our food?”

“I don’t know. You’ll have to try it and find out.”


The hyper-drive went offline and Ship decelerated to sub-light speed as we entered the Doevinski system.

We all watched our arrival on the tactical display. Saria cloaked the vessel and sent out various cloaked probes.

Our records listed this system as uninhabited, but that was long ago.

“They’re on the third planet, Captain,” said Yuhi in my head.

“Thank you,” I sent back to her.

“Commander, our missing crew are on the third planet. Let’s go fetch them,” I said.

“Yes, Sir!” she replied. A moment later, our vessel adjusted course and picked up speed.

“Ship, once we’re within range, please ping the Commodore and Laine,” said Saria.

I smiled.

“Commander, what’s your plan?” I asked.

“I’m still waiting for complete intel, Captain, but I’m leaning towards a stealth extraction.”

“Agreed. If we show our hand, they might take it out on their hostages.”

She nodded.

Information appeared on the tactical display, showing that Several vessels orbited the third planet.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close