Gabatrix: the Warrior of Silence
Chapter 7: Scouring the Back Alleys Part 2

Copyright© 2021 by CMed TheUniverseofCMed

Ioren sat in the passenger seat as she was loading up her magazines. The familiar clicking of bullets going into place was the only refuge of noise that filled the car. The rain was drizzling outside but not in a deluge either. Even the rain droplets failed to produce much noise.

Stone stayed quiet. The sour look seemed to remain like it was chiseled into his face. He kept his eyes on the road, being primarily patient. The vehicle was getting closer to its destination. The ghetto neighborhood was quite apparent as they reached the onset of L’Kibera.

“Surprised you didn’t load up before getting in the car this morning,” Stone told her, trying to make at least some small talk. Instead, he momentarily looked at her.

Ioren didn’t have her tilon out, but she used her free hand to raise her pinky finger up to her chest. She then made a flat palm before pressing it to the side of her face. The USL meaning for “I know” is correctly understood by Stone. She placed the last bullet into her magazine before stowing it to her belt.

“Your sign language is at a good start,” the marine commented. “You would have impressed my sister greatly on that alone.”

Ioren took her hand to her chin before lowering it down as if she was about to receive something, the word for “thanks.”

“If you wish to thank me, get yourself a place to stay,” Stone said.

The Itrean woman pulled out her tilon. She activated it and began typing to help translate for her.

“That wasn’t what I meant, what you did earlier. I thank you.”

“Hmph ... bitch deserved it.”

Ioren was going to type something else as she thought about it more and more. The event at the hospital was something that she considered more and more. Even after he attempted to help teach the basics of sign language to her, most of the learning was her researching it rather than anything else. Stone had his way of being outright dismissive to her. Perhaps there was another reason for checking up with the doctor and standing up for her. Regardless, the event did tell her that there was something about her partner that she hadn’t considered.

Everything that had happened so far, including yesterday, was still taking its toll on her. The remainder of hatred and prejudice were degrading. It didn’t break her spirit, but it was like an old scab that wouldn’t heal. To see Stone confronting the doctor brought a sense of happiness, though. She wanted to capitalize on it as she typed.

“I wish you punched her,” Ioren typed.

“I can say the same for you. The Itreans really hate themselves to like the humans so much.”

“Where are we going?”

“Gang hideout. Make sure that your pistol is fully loaded before we go in.”

“Just us?”

“Yes. Be ready for anything.”

“Why not call backup?”

“As much as I want to, it is best to come in small. The police force is only so large enough as it is to go into a full-scale assault onto this group. We need more information on this syndicate that is developing, and any large numbers will only provoke them.”

Ioren could see the building that was not far from Nell’s Repair Shop. She quickly unholstered her pistol and checked to make sure that a round was loaded. She holstered it and patted the bulletproof vest that she wore. Even Stone wasn’t foolish to forget his vest. She remained relatively calm while Stone was like a statue.

There were no cars in sight, with only the occasional pedestrian walking around. Finally, the abandoned apartment came into view. It was a two-story rundown complex. The brown paint was flaking off, and the lawn was in complete disarray. It must have existed for eighty years and had no given care to it. A number of windows were barred entirely closed, and the front sliding door was utterly broken down and removed. The entrance was instead replaced with a yellow plastic tarp that hung from the top edges. There was a single individual that stood at the door, and he was clearly armed. Despite this, if it weren’t for Jahmar’s guidance, it could have been very well possible that Stone would have missed the place. Other buildings had similar appearances as well.

While Ioren’s attention was diverted to the front entrance, Stone reached for something in the glove compartment. He pulled out a small device and clutched it into his hand. He pulled the car over and began to power it down.

“Whatever you see, let me handle this,” Stone told her. “Can’t have you fucking this up.”

Ioren looked at Stone as the doors opened up. The arrival of the police vehicle coming to a stop near some gang hideout was not a reassuring sign for the guard. Stone was the first to exit his car while he looked upon the man. This guard was a fat but muscle-bound guy armed with a pistol and some augmented mechanical arm. His short ruffled afro hair tended to dance around as he turned his head.

“Hey!” the man called out to the two. “What are the police doing here? What’s your business?”

Stone seemed to be measuring the area and making his decisions quickly. The guard even saw Ioren but gave little reaction. He did seem confused, though. The police typically didn’t wear the style of clothing that Stone had on, and the arrival of an Itrean further added to the mystery. Regardless, it was best for Stone to act cool for now. He was threatening to stir a hornet’s nest, and he had to make sure that his moves were made correctly.

“I don’t directly work for the police,” Stone answered. “I’m here to ask questions for one of your own. Johnny. I came to speak with Johnny or one of your representatives.”

As Stone and Ioren were approaching the front steps, the guard held his hand up to ask them to come to a halt. He didn’t raise his pistol at them, or at least from what they saw. He was partially tense, but the request only seemed to discourage the fat man. The guard scratched his trim beard as if he was thinking. Ioren was careful, making sure not to provoke the guard. This was all on Stone to make this scenario work. By now, he could hear a form of Oshunian rap-rock that was being played. It was coming from inside the building.

“Ehmm,” the guard explained. “You seem to be mistaken. Johnny? What the hell are you talking about?”

Stone already knew the man was trying to mislead him. No person would remain at the front door to guard some building in this particular fashion, let alone a seemingly abandoned place. Upon looking at the pistol closer, Stone immediately recognized the gun. It was an M81 UHN pistol. He was definitely at the right spot. This alone almost set him off, and the guard was getting more anxious.

“I want to talk to one of your representatives,” Stone’s voice got severe. “I won’t repeat myself again.”

“Get out of here, old man,” the guard told him. “You won’t find what you are looking for here.”

The tarp began to lift as another person decided to come to the entrance to investigate the disturbance at the front door. The plastic material bumped the guard’s face, and Stone seized the moment.

“Don’t fucking move!” Stone yelled as he lifted the device in his hand. He got close to the guard.

“Ah, shit! It’s the cops,” a male voice came from the tarp. It fell back down as the person shuffled to get back inside, leaving the guard to fend for himself. Ioren could see that the guard was lifting his pistol. She responded in kind as she raised her pistol to aim at the man. She was pretty quick, and the guard finally could see the small gun aimed at his torso.

“I said don’t fucking move!” Stone exclaimed. “Are you fucking deaf?!”

That was enough for the guard to almost dropping his gun upon seeing the device in Stone’s hand. Even Ioren turned her reptilian eyes to see what he was holding. Her jaw was agape as she realized that Stone had a disk grenade in his possession. The beeping sound could be heard as the marine tapped his finger on one of the buttons. It was the arming sequence. He was close enough to guard but maintained a correct distance at the same time.

“I want to talk to a representative, NOW! If you don’t, all I have to do is let this grenade hit the ground, and we all go with it!”

“Holy shit!” the guard replied. Even Ioren’s eyes were wide seeing the event. She could see the guard lower his gun and give a calming notion to him. Even the Itrean lowered her weapon, but she didn’t holster it yet. She felt that Stone might have gone crazy. Her heart was pounding, but she had to trust where this was going.

Stone began to move forward as he stepped towards the tarp entrance. The guard stepped aside as Ioren carefully stepped around him and followed close behind Stone. She had to protect him, but she knew that it was an almost impossible task to complete.

Upon the lifting of the tarp, Stone and Ioren stepped into a large open room. The former glory days of the complex were long gone. Most of the interior had former rooms that had completely cut down walls to help make the entrance into a much larger space. Essentially, the place had been converted to a bar or saloon, depending on how one would look at it. There were numerous chairs and tables packed throughout. A bar table was located right next to the staircase that led up to the rooms upstairs. The walls were battered with signs of neglect.

“What the fuck is going on?” another man called out in the interior. The place was filled with gangsters. People of different shapes, sizes, and genders comprised the area. Ioren must have counted at least thirty individuals alone. Everyone that was busy talking to one another stopped to look at the two arrivals. Most were pulling out different varieties of firearms, and all pointed at Stone and Ioren. Ioren herself knew that this could end in a shooting match then and there. She remained at the ready but didn’t aim her pistol at any of the individuals.

“You see this!?” Stone yelled at everyone. “My name is Master Sergeant Stone! In my hand is an MC-20 grenade, a high explosive round. If you shoot me now, this will fall to the ground and detonate! My hand is on the trigger. All I have to do is press it, and I will send shrapnel all up in your ass!”

“What is the meaning of all this?” a female gangster called out. She shifted a mechanically augmented leg that held onto a small pistol. “You realize you aren’t walking out alive for all this shit?”

“Aphadian, judging from his voice,” another man commented. He held onto a sub-machine gun and was checking to make sure that the safety was off.

“I want to talk to Johnny!” Stone yelled. “Is that clear?”

The tension in the room was immense. Ioren knew that there were too many people to fight if they opened fire. All it took was one individual to pull the trigger by accident. Lights were being given off from the disk grenade. Stone even put his hand to his desert falcon. He banked everything on this possibly suicidal move.

“All of you lower your guns...” a light male voice came out from the top of the stairs. “Master Sergeant Stone, is it? That includes you and that ... Itrean?”

Stone’s eyes went towards the top of the stairs where the voice originated. Most of the people inside the building began to lower their guns with the exception of two of them. Instead, Stone lifted his free hand away from his pistol and pushed Ioren’s arm down. The gesture snapped her out of it, causing her to holster her pistol. The two gangsters replied in earnest by putting their weapons away.

Two individuals walked down the stairs. One was another big man that had a lot of weight and muscle to him. Ioren swore that this guy looked very much like the guard that was upfront. The only difference was that his augmented mechanical arm was on the other side. The man seemed to be escorted by or was escorting another. This other person was a boy or a young teenager. He had the typical dark complexion but had a large lit burning cigar that hung from his mouth. He had an oversized yellow t-shirt with the letter “J” written on it that hung neatly over his blue jeans.

“You came looking for Johnny? You found Johnny,” the boy said, walking down the stairs and gesturing to himself.

Ioren was somewhat confused as to what she had seen and heard. Even Stone gave a slightly surprised look upon seeing the child. His grip on his grenade lessened as he could see that the tension in the room was starting to go down. A boy that had to be at least ten to twelve years old seemed to have full control over every person in the location.

“Not possible...” Stone remarked with much skepticism.

“You obviously came here for a reason, marine, or you would have used that bomb on us by now,” Johnny said. “You’re not part of the Forsaken Panthers, although you still might be a part of Black Star.”

Everyone but a few began to resume talking to one another like nothing happened. The guard at the front came in and looked at Stone and then Johnny.

“Sorry, boss,” the guard said. “I couldn’t stop them. They wanted to see you.”

Johnny reached the bottom of the stairs. He took his cigar out of his mouth and waved at the man.

“What is your Itrean friend’s name here?” the boy asked.

“Ioren,” Stone answered.

“I will answer your questions, Stone, but you have to do something for me as well ... or at least two things for me. One, go and slap my guard Tim for me, will ya? Doesn’t have to be hard.”

The other man looked at Johnny briefly and gave the nod to Stone as a go-ahead. The marine lowered his grenade before turning around to face the guard. The fat man seemed to give a discouraged look before Stone used the palm of his hand to provide a slightly painful hard slap to the cheek. It echoed in the room for a brief moment as the marine gave no discourse of regret in his actions. Ioren could see the guard recoil a little bit before he was giving apologies to Johnny.

“Good,” Johnny said. “Now ... if you wish for me to help you out, then you need to turn in your tablets and ... I think the Itreans call them tilons? Give it to Tim.”

Ioren gave a look of horror upon hearing that. Her feathers rose as Stone seemed to think about it as well. There was little room to negotiate on this. They were in their territory, and the Boer Numbers Gang seemed quite intimidating as they were. The marine could see all sorts of tattoos embroidered on the skin of the people with hate speech, racist iconography, and the familiar logo of the gang. Everyone had a number on them as if it was some sort of ranking system. He could even see the number 2 that was on Johnny’s wrist, his status as second in command.

“I’ll do it, but we’re not handing our guns over,” Stone told him.

“Never asked for them. See my friends here?” he waved his hands outward. “They have them, and so can you.”

This was enough to convince the marine to hand over his tablet to the guard. He looked at Ioren that pulled out her tilons. She didn’t want to give them away.

“Ioren, doesn’t wish to hand over her device,” Stone said for her. “She uses it to communicate. She can’t talk.”

Johnny was unphased. “Don’t worry. You will get them both back once you leave. I don’t trust you not to use them to record anything that would be used against us.”

“Do it, Ioren,” Stone told her. She had no choice but to hand the tilons over to the guard. A part of her knew that she only had her little knowledge of sign language to help her communicate now.

“Good,” Johnny said as he waved them both to the bar. “Come and have a seat beside me. Now we will talk.”

Stone kept the grenade firmly in his hand but had it perfectly enveloped so that the others couldn’t see him threatening them. He still didn’t have a good enough trust in every single person, and he still didn’t know if Johnny was completely trustworthy in that manner. The tall bar stools were nicely arranged, but no bartender was currently present. Johnny was happily enjoying his cigar as he blew large amounts of smoke into the air. His escort picked him up before depositing him on the barstool to sit on, even making sure that his shirt wasn’t ruffled in the process.

The marine was the first to sit to the right of Johnny. Ioren thought about it and went to sit on the boy’s left side. This would allow the perfect opportunity to convey any sign language to Stone to help translate for her. Not far from the boy, the fat guard protecting Johnny hovered over like a protective but silent mother, seemingly ignoring any type of comment. The smell of the burning cigar was beginning to pick up.

“Talk...” Johnny said as he smoked his cigar facing the bar. The boy snapped his fingers where a person raised the Oshunian music in volume to help drown out any potential listeners to their conversation.

“I came here to acquire information,” Stone explained. He went and put his hand into his pocket as the guard watched him closely for any sudden movements. He pulled out the cards and slapped them on the bar table with a light thunk.

The boy had yet looked at the cards. “How did you know about my hideout?”

“I had a little help from one of your own. He told me plenty before he skipped out of town ... assuming he has made enough progress on that.”

“Jahmar ... fucking weasel,” the boy commented with some mild anger. “You do know how to be blunt and straightforward, though. I do like that. That’s why you two will be allowed to walk out of here alive after our nice conversation.” He began to start looking at the cards as the ashes of his cigar fell onto the table.

“Do you happen to know about this group? The people that made this card?”

The boy didn’t hesitate. “You don’t know what any of this means?”

“None, including Ioren.”

Johnny nodded. “Take a look at the blue symbol of the Oshunian flag in here. What do you see?”

Stone and Ioren turned to look at the black flag proudly hanging not that far from the staircase. It consisted of the nation of former Africa before the flood. It consisted of the many stars of every nation that worked together as a unified continent. Two large disk-shaped objects went up and down, colored in red and green. There was also one smaller one beside the two larger ones. This small-looking shape looked familiar to what was on the card. Ioren was the first to use her clawed finger to point to the flag and then the card.

“Yes, silent lizard,” Johnny told them. “All three represent the different continents on this side of the planet. One here, one Girinhi Kinshasha, and the other...”

“Dragon’s Eye,” Stone answered, interrupting him.

“Yep,” the boy made a quick pause as he took a brief drag from his cigar. “They simply call themselves the Syndicate. We have a bunch of those cards already.”

“What are they?”

“Arms dealers straight from the penal colony itself.”

“How the fuck is that possible?” Stone shook his head upon hearing it.

“They just do,” the boy said with almost a smile.

“You are carrying illegal firearms in your possession, then.”

“What of it?”

“It is illegal to have them.”

“Oh?” the boy seemed unphased. “Tell me, Aphadian man ... is it illegal to carry UHN copies in your everyday household?”

“I believe in the right to bear arms, including the best you can have.”

“So do I.” the boy snapped his fingers as the guard moved the ashtray straight to him. Johnny began to tap his cigar ashes into the tray.

“On this planet, it is illegal, though. Even if I personally disagree with the concept.”

Johnny nodded as he tapped the card. “I see ... Both the Forsaken Panthers and the Black Star have also received contact with this group.”

“Do you know anything of this group that is operating in Dragon’s Eye? How do they get the goods here? When did you first hear from them?”

“Roughly a month ago was when they contacted us. They didn’t bother to send a direct communication. I spoke to one of the messengers, and they received some supposed hazy image and audio message that they would be paid handsomely to deliver the cards and contact information to every group that operates here in L’Kibera. They have a lot of resources. I didn’t believe them, but I put a small order after making contact with the same hazy image of the person. The voice was purposely distorted to disguise itself. I admit...” Johnny looked a little way to his left. “I was quite surprised that this syndicate actually delivered. They said the time and place, and boom ... the shit came to my men. Made me wish that I put a larger order ... now the prices have doubled.”

“Doubled?”

“Yep ... Forsaken Panthers bought a shit ton of equipment and don’t even get me started on the Black Star. UHN firearms...” he looked at Ioren. “I even heard some of it is Itrean goods too...”

Stone’s eyes widened upon hearing it. Ioren gave a somewhat similar reaction. She got interested as she lifted up both her hands. However, she didn’t clench her fingers into a fist and instead pressed the top upper tips of her fingers together. This was the word for “How?” Johnny briefly looked in her direction but didn’t understand.

“She is asking ‘how is that possible?’” Stone filled in for her.

“I don’t know. All I know is that this group has their own resources at their disposal and working themselves to every group out there. I have no choice but to get some of these cool guns.”

“Why?” Ioren asked in sign language. Stone translated it for the boy.

“Let me help you out. What do I have to do at this establishment? I help command everyone that is here. The assholes that compete against our territories here constantly make moves that become a greater and greater threat against my gang. I have no choice but to buy from this syndicate if I’m going to be able to fight back. Look at us, silent lizard. Really look at us. Oshun doesn’t give a fuck about me or my people or L’Kibera.”

“They only care about their tourist industry...” Stone said as he briefly added, turning his head away.

“Yeah.” Johnny paused as he took another drag from his cigar. “My only regret is that I only have two rifles and few pistols when compared to whatever the Forsaken Panthers have. Black Star is even willing to offer some of their people, and I have no choice but to hire them in turn.”

“They are thugs and mercenaries...” Stone explained. “They won’t hesitate to kill anyone or their own group if they were paid enough to do it.”

“Which is why I want them. Black Star is good at their profession. Quick clean killers. With UHN gear ... they would be a force to be reckoned with. Not even the police force could have any hope in stopping them.”

“Is there any way that I can contact the syndicate? Any way that I can meet them in person?”

“You have their card. I don’t have much that I can help you with on that part. I can tell you this ... maybe the best course of action is to wait till tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow? Why?”

“Rumor has it that the Forsaken Panthers are going to launch an all-out attack on my territory tomorrow morning. They are using the opportunity to use their new hardware to wipe us out for good. They might have Black Star helping their numbers as well.”

“There hasn’t been a gang war turf since a couple of years ago. It is probably a false rumor.”

Johnny shook his head. “Nope. They got the better gear, numbers, and resources. They see the opportunity, probably knowing that I’m at a disadvantage. They will attack. I only have terrain advantage to save us from getting wiped out.”

There was a look of disgust on Stone’s face. This was a grave problem that had him looking at Ioren. Ioren, on the other hand, could see the fact that Stone was in the slightest bout of being rattled.

“Tomorrow ... are you absolutely sure of this?” Stone confirmed.

The boy gave a sigh and a nod.

“You want to stop this syndicate, then, by all means, Stone ... Ioren ... maybe you will get lucky. I have nothing else to comment on that. I will not answer any more of your questions.”

Stone turned his head to see the boy’s escort give the nod to him. Ioren understood the gesture as well as she hopped off the seat. The marine decided to get out of his chair. He had enough information even if he was still reaching a dead end on his quest.

“Thank you, by the way,” Johnny added, seeing the two leave.

“For what?” Stone asked.

“Letting me keep my newly acquired merchandise. For a moment, I thought you were going to be stupid enough for me to hand them over to you.”

“I want to confiscate the guns, but it’s going to prove fruitless,” Stone said. “I’m completely outmatched, and the fact that this gang is going to need it for tomorrow’s battle is pointless in me asking.”

“Good, then I will add some free advice on my part for the gesture,” Johnny replied as he flicked the burned-out cigar into the ashtray. He turned to look at the two as they were about to head out. “Rumor has it that the Rimbastar criminals had a Black Star to help them out in the robbery. I’m sure the police already encountered it, correct?”

Stone froze the moment he heard that. He had a mean look to his face and stood like a statue as if he perfectly knew what he meant. Ioren could see the more and more Black Star was mentioned, the more it put the marine in a state of unease.

“Yes, they did,” Stone answered.

“Expect to see more of them tomorrow, including that sniper I so wished was working for me. I know the cops are coming once the turf war starts. I know that you work with them too. Understand that I will fight the Panthers and Black Star to the end. I won’t hesitate to gun down any police, you, or your lizard friend of yours that get in my way. Is that clear?”

“Yes ... I do,” Stone said as he scowled. His eyes narrowed the moment he turned to look at the boy.

“Have fun out there,” Johnny said with a wave and slight grin. With that, the boy turned his attention away from them.

“Come on, let’s go,” the marine quietly told Ioren.

It didn’t take long for the two to exit the hideout. The smell of fresh air was fulfilling instead of the smell of cigars and smoke. The guard handed the tablet and tilon back to Stone and Ioren and proceeded back to the car. The moment that Ioren got her tilon back, she opened it up and began to type.

“Where are we heading to next?”

“Back to the precinct,” Stone said. “The sooner, the better.”


The police chief sat in his chair as he was talking to Delu. He gave a couple of nods to her before the door slid open. Stone barged in with an Ioren following slowly behind him. The chief gave a deep sigh like he was expecting the worst from the man.

“Ahh ... there he is,” the chief replied with a smile. “Not even a knock this time. Delu, what am I going to do with this man?”

“Stone, are you coming to the memorial service tomorrow for...” Delu tried to ask, but it was quickly cut off.

“Not now,” the marine simply answered coldly. “I need to talk to the chief ... just us three,” gesturing to Ioren behind her.

Delu gave a dejected look, almost as if she was utterly disappointed in the marine. Ioren noted it while the chief gave a solemn nod for the female officer to leave the room. Stone waited for a very brief moment as Delu left the room and the door slid closed behind her. Ioren didn’t hesitate to go and have a seat with her tilon at the ready. Stone tried to say something first, but the chief beat him to it.

“Stone ... why?” the chief gave a look of disappointment while slightly waving his hands to him. “Why ... do I expect the worst to come out of you right now? What is it now that has you destroying the nice vibes of my office?”

“You want to know why!?” Stone replied as he gave a stern look at him. Then, he went and grabbed the chief’s picture and flipped it around so that he could look at it. “I need this!” he exclaimed.

Stone was pointing at the image of the younger chief holding his shotgun in the ghetto area of what is L’Kibera. The marine kept a staunch stance and meaningful look that caused the chief to sigh. He went and sat down on his chair as he gave a brief composed but agitated smile to Stone. Ioren could see that Stone was not interested in sitting down as the chief went and got himself comfortable on his chair.

“What is it that you need to tell me, Stone?” the chief asked.

“A turf war is going to break out tomorrow at L’Kibera,” Stone was blunt.

“L’Kibera? You make it sound like you just heard of this. L’Kibera always has turf skirmishes. The Boer Numbers Gang and Forsaken Panthers struggle for dominance every single day.”

“No. There will be a full-scale battle tomorrow morning,” Stone remarked as he pulled out the card and slapped it on the table. “I spoke to the second in command of the Boer Numbers, and they confirmed what I was researching. Them, the Forsaken Panthers, and Black Star are making purchases from a growing syndicate organization on Dragon’s Eye. This syndicate has full access to UHN military weapons and selling them en masse.”

“What?” the chief replied with some skepticism.

“It is true,” Ioren typed. “They also might have Itrean weapons too.”

“Heh...” the chief looked down and away. “Why would there be a full battle tomorrow?”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close