Gabatrix: the Warrior of Silence - Cover

Gabatrix: the Warrior of Silence

Copyright© 2021 by CMed TheUniverseofCMed

Chapter 15: About-Face

The interior hallway that led to the Admiral’s room was quiet. Oshun’s UHN headquarters was vacant where Stone and Ioren were heading to. The central room connected to a variety of hallways as other staff members avoided the menacing arrival of the towering figure of the marine.

Stone was walking towards the open door dressed in the Master Sergeant’s formal uniform attire. The blue and red collared top blouse was decorated with gold buttons in the front. His pants were red of the Martian colors. He wore a finely tuned blue garrison cover with the gold rank emblem on the left side. On him were the numerous medals appropriately placed over his left breast, but the brace on his arm covered some of it. A tunicate was set correctly to help the grave injuries on his shoulder and arm.

Ioren, on the other hand, had a fine green dress that flowed from her shoulders down to her lower knees. The silken colors appropriately allowed her to display her tail. She had a black cast that was placed through the area where it had been broken in the fight. She also had a hard cast that was placed near her chest. The injuries from the fight a day ago had taken some of their toll on the two. Nothing seemed to halt the marine’s advances as they headed towards the Admiral’s room. Ioren, however, did her best not to move or shift her tail too much.

“You can still leave if you wish,” Stone sternly told Ioren without even looking at her. The Itrean seemed unconvinced as she pressed forward. Her talon feet pressed against the soft cushioned red carpet of the floor. She could notice the apparent luxury that the higher-ranking officials had in the UHN. It would get better and better in how it visually appeared as they neared the room. There was no trepidation in their faces, although Ioren did wonder about the fate that was presided over her partner. Her tilon was already out as she was trying to type and walk at the same time.

“We face this together,” her tilon stated her words.

“This concerns me more than it does you. However, ... I do respect your decision to face the...” he grumbled a little bit as if he was biting his tongue. She knew he was going to bring an insult to the high-ranking officials that were already in the open room ahead.

“I care, Stone,” she typed. “For my partner.”

“Then expect the classic shitstorm.” It was his only words as they neared the door. Stone was ready to face the hearing that was going to take place. He wasn’t truly expecting this. The last time this had happened to him not long ago, it was handled with a captain and judge advocate general. Regardless, he knew that the last couple of days had set off alarms. For some, he knew that the idea of standing in front of the high chain of Oshun’s military command would rattle some, but for the marine, he was more than ready to bring his information to them. Forget the injuries. He was determined to shove the information down their throats. There was more that he wanted to tell Ioren, but it was too late as he stepped up to the door. He halted as he kept a proper military composure.

His eyes could see what it looked like in the chamber. There was a large wooden desk in the center of the room. The carpeted emblem displayed the UHN seal on the floor. There were numerous digital displays in the room that had been shut off. There was also an ancient crafted spear that was supposedly made in Africa of former Earth long ago, hanging on the wall. Sitting at his comfortable chair by the central desk was the fleet admiral with two additional admirals on each side. The room was not designed to have other high-ranking personnel in it. Instead, the rolled-out chairs were like thrones for the admirals that sat beside the top CO of Oshun’s fleet command.

Stone used his uninjured arm to render a prideful salute as he gave a stalwart look in the interior. His demeanor was more than apparent as he made sure to let the chain of command know that he was ready to face this.

“Master Sergeant Stone, reporting as ordered!” Stone yelled. His voice carried into the room.

The fleet admiral stood up and saluted the master sergeant. He didn’t have an appeased look on his face. “Enter, Master Sergeant. The seats also recognize Lesser Centurion Ioren that will be with us in this hearing. Be aware that we will not allow tilons to be used during this hearing.”

Ioren went and clenched her four digits finger hand into a fist and pressed it to her heart as a symbol of respect to the three in the room, but she already had a stage of protest with the comment. The Itrean had a chance to evaluate the three high-ranking officials as she saw Stone drop his salute and enter. Each high-ranking official was distinct. The one that sat in the left chair of her was an admiral with a somewhat pale complexion. He was middle-aged and could be described as either Polynesian or Micronesian of former Earth. His black hair was cut short, and he had a series of black tattoos decorated on the right side of his face. He gave a meaningful look at first, but only for the shortest of instances. On the other side of the fleet admiral was a female admiral with the darkest of complexions. It was almost as if she had come from Nigeria or Cameroon. Her hair was almost non-existent, and she was skinny but middle-aged like the other three.

The fleet admiral himself could be described as having a dark complexion possibly descended from Zimbabwe or Botswana from Earth. He had a short, almost gray beard below his face. His hair was appropriately short as per military regulations. His voice was described as coarse and somewhat aggressive in tone. As with all the officials, they were dressed in their red and blue formal dress uniforms. This included even a red cloak that hung from their backs and flowed down their extravagant rolled-out chairs.

“All that is present,” Stone addressed the three. “Lesser Centurion Ioren needs her tilon to communicate. She lacks vocal cords.”

There was almost a word of protest from the fleet admiral. He could see that the other admirals were giving a nod of approval sympathizing with the Itrean.

“Very well ... you may enter and stand beside Stone,” the fleet admiral stated. With that, Ioren walked in and proudly stood beside the towering marine. “Now...” he tapped a button on his desk as the door slid closed behind them. “We are having this hearing for two primary reasons in regard to the recent events that have transpired as of yesterday. The other reason is to further discuss if we are to have you reinstated into the military services due to events that occurred over two weeks ago. The first topic involves a group of prisoners that managed to use a transport vessel to escape the penal colony along with supposedly over ten crates of military weapons in stowage. We are all here because what is said here will be brought forth to the public afterward.”

“Hmph...” Stone huffed as he kept his eyes forward. It caused the fleet admiral’s eyes to narrow at the marine momentarily before he continued.

“Master Sergeant Stone,” the tattoed admiral inquired. “We are well aware that the recent set of events called you at the earliest of convenience. This now also applies to Lesser Centurion Ioren. Are you both well enough to convey in this hearing? If not, we can postpone for...”

“I need no further postponements, admiral,” Stone cut him off.

“I’m well enough to stand and speak for an hour,” Ioren’s tilon translated her words. She was fast in how she typed.

“Very well...” The fleet admiral explained as he pointed to himself. “Then we need to introduce everyone that is here in this room. I’m Fleet Admiral Arno.” He gestured to the other admiral with tattoos. “This is Admiral Inoke.” He gestured to the female admiral. “And this is Admiral Ramla. Now...” he rested his hands on the desk and tapped a couple of buttons on a panel device. A series of data popped up that was projected from his desk for everyone to see. “It has been brought to our attention of the recent events that transpired as of yesterday. Our goal is to evaluate your case that was involved in the last several weeks. We have had a chance to read up on the reports that occurred that stated that a supposed group of prisoners had indeed escaped with UHN weapons. Do you still concur that what you saw were UHN weapons in the hands of the prisoners?”

“You tell me,” Stone sternly told him. “I already submitted the report and have been filing it over and over again.”

“That wasn’t an answer,” the fleet admiral stated.

“Stone,” Ramla addressed him. She had a faint but delicate Oshunian accent. “We understand the recent events and had a chance to read up on some of your reports. We ask that you cooperate in this.”

“I already know where this is going,” Stone replied.

Inoke shook his head as he spoke up. “Don’t think we are here to antagonize you. I know of your service record. You have served as the head drill instructor of the UHN marine corp with distinction and valor.”

“We’ll see...” the marine relented a little bit. “Fine. My partner and I have clearly seen and engaged numerous exiles on Dragon’s Eye. Most of them already had UHN military-grade weapons. These were being shipped to the mainland.”

“I disagree with that assessment,” Arno explained. “Have you been aware that the reports indicate that the guns were nothing but forgeries?”

“Forgeries ... I fucking knew it.” Stone shook his head. “You’re still going to try to conclude that these guns were nothing but fakes!?”

“Watch your language, Stone, and answer the question,” Ramla told him.

“Er...” He grumbled. “They were not fakes, sir. I personally scanned the serial numbers and matched them to the registry. They were stolen or removed from armories and eventually worked their way into their hands.”

“Your reports...” Arno pressed forward.

“May I speak?” Ioren jumped in. She was busy typing on her tilon as fast as she could.

“Of course,” Inoke replied. Everyone waited for her while she typed.

“I can account for several instances where the prisoners and mercenaries were using Itrean constructed weaponry. These are much harder to forge than UHN weapons.”

“Itrean weapons...” Arno seemed to pause a little bit upon hearing it.

“I have taken several pictures and videos that can confirm this.”

“We have already reviewed it ... it is quite unsettling,” Inoke commented.

“This can only mean that there are Itrean agents that are supplying the prisoners with military-grade equipment,” Arno said as he waved his hand. “Even this deceased leader could have played a role in creating those weapons.”

“It is true that the Shal’rein and Aksren clans still hold the UWA as an enemy since we have allied with the T’rintar clan,” Ramla added. “Even the reports showed that a former Shal’rein clan survivor of the Battle almost a year ago was leading this criminal organization on Dragon’s Eye. However, Ioren, since you are here, we have been inquiring to T’rintar clan intelligence. Would you happen to know if the enemy clans may have somehow broken the command codes to the defense network of Oshun?”

“I don’t know, Admiral,” she typed in response.

“I don’t believe that would be the case,” Inoke answered for the Itrean. “If it were, then the Shal’rein clan would have launched another assault by now and not use it for this particular recent fashion.”

“I doubt that she would know anyway,” Arno said as he leaned forward a little bit on his desk. “I already know a little bit about her, and it draws credibility on her reports as well.”

Stone was giving a mean look at the fleet admiral. His tone was even more aggressive as it picked up. Ioren’s feathers rose up as the other two admirals looked upon him. There was a smile on Arno’s face.

“According to the T’rintar clan, Ioren is an outcast,” Arno explained. “I was wondering if you were truly going to be here or not, and now that you are, we can start to hammer this down. Her service record doesn’t contain many high remarks, and they kicked her out of the submarine corp unit here on Oshun to serve alongside the Master Sergeant. She simply joined up with Stone on this meaningless crusade because she is desperate for glory.”

“Fleet Admiral?” Inoke questioned him as he looked at him. Even Ramla gave a somewhat questionable look when she looked upon him.

Ioren’s feathers were raised in outright aggression. She gritted her small serrated teeth at him. Suddenly, she knew that this man wasn’t exactly a good character to her. Even Stone was biting his tongue as he was clenching his open fist. Ioren typed on her tilon as she tried to keep her emotions intact.

“I’m a Golarren,” Ioren’s tilon translated. “There is no proper translation from this tilon. It is used as a word of insult. You seem to know me, but you didn’t even know that I needed a tilon to speak?”

“A word of insult,” Arno continued brushing aside the question. “This further adds to my claim. We have already had these videos and pictures being analyzed. Nothing is missing in our armories. The criminals were using forgeries.”

“That hasn’t been verified,” Inoke rebuked. It caused Ramla to look at him with some question. The fleet admiral shook his head as he looked at the data.

“You’re telling me that every gun that has been picked up from that prison was not UHN equipment at all?” Stone asked. “You’re telling me that every bullet sent to there didn’t come from us?”

“According to the reports, yes,” Arno happily answered.

Stone looked at Ioren and pointed at her. “She had an AM round go through her! Not some fake shit! That was goddamn real!”

“Stone,” Ramla jumped in. “Need we remind you where you are at.”

“As for these ... Itrean weapons...” Arno continued. “Most likely, we have Itrean saboteurs that are trying to undermine Oshun from within. Shal’rein agents that are working amongst the T’rintar clan. They managed to set up a trade network with Dragon’s Eye. Stone and Ioren had managed to shut it down ... miraculously.” There was skepticism in how he said the last word.

“Both of you should be commended for your work,” Inoke said as he looked at the two. Ramla almost gave a nod in agreement, but the fleet admiral shook his head.

“Unfortunately, that doesn’t answer what had happened with how the transport that had our command codes,” Ramla interjected. “Stone, Ioren, did this Shaka’ra or anybody else say anything in how they had the access codes to the gate array and satellite defense network? Anything that you two might remember that you didn’t have in your reports?”

“The only thing that I remember hearing from Shaka’ra before she died was that she already won,” Stone answered. “I believe that the codes were given to them by somebody from the highest form of chain of command.” His eyes looked at Arno closely as the fleet admiral gave a skeptical look at him in return. “That was how they...”

“We didn’t ask you here for your opinions, Stone,” Arno told him, cutting him off. “Both of you are here for us to ask you questions ... and to figure out your fate in the military service line.”

Ioren could see that Stone’s face was grimacing at times as she briefly scanned him. She could feel that there was much bottled-up hostility in the room but primarily focused on two people. A part of her could even feel that there was some sense of genuine malice, where it was centered at the focal point. This location was the fleet admiral. She could tell that there were hidden priorities in that voice. The more and more she considered it, the more she hated the individual with an unbridled passion.

“Keep in mind, Stone,” Ramla told him. “Your objections are clearly noted, and we do have the reports from the both of you of what you have stated. Until then, we have to consider this with due diligence. More research is needed before we can validate the Fleet Admiral’s or your claims on what it was that you saw.”

“Hmph...” Stone huffed. The marine could see the faint and repressed smile develop on the fleet admiral’s face.

“Then that brings us to the most important discussion and why you are here,” Arno explained, changing the topics. “Should we or should we not proceed with a court-martial.”

“Court-martial ... errr...” Stone said under his breath. Only Ioren could hear it. The other admirals were watching his emotional tone quite carefully.

“The fact that this is brought forth is what I have been reviewing the entire record about you,” Arno continued. “Going into a prison that you had no right to be in ... going into an island that is off-limits to the UHN and military personnel ... and above all else ... holding a T’rintar clan citizen at gunpoint.”

“I was resolving the problems that the UHN were not going to resolve at all,” the marine said as his teeth were clenched. “I already went through this before.”

“Yes,” Ramla added. “You went through a military trial, in which you claimed guilty for your actions. The Captain and Judge Advocate both agreed to send you to Dragon’s Eye because they ... believed you?”

“That was the idea,” Stone answered. “I ... we, had to stop the Dragon’s Eye Syndicate and save the reputation in which I have bled my entirety into. The UHN Marine Corp ... redder than blood ... blood for life...”

“The marine creed will not save you, Master Sergeant,” Arno said. “Whether the rest of my command staff may agree with me, you have engaged in vicious and malicious acts that were uncalled for as UHN serviceman. You might have been acting in good faith, but the result was you putting the lives of others on the line. The doctor in which you held at gunpoint would hardly agree with your action.”

“Excuse me,” Ioren typed on her tilon. “I strongly disagree with your statement, sir.”

“Your actions should also be protested as well!” Arno got vocal at her cutting her off. He pointed at the Itrean. “You had no right to be on that island! That is UWA controlled territory that clearly forbids you upon entry. I should file a grievance to the T’rintar clan because of what you did.”

“You have no right to question my partner like this!” Stone snapped at him.

“Everyone!” Ramla called out to the Fleet Admiral and Stone. The emotions got tense as Ioren was gritting her teeth at Arno. “This is unbecoming of the Oshunian COC.”

“I agree,” Inoke added. “Fleet Admiral, you cut off Lesser Centurion Ioren. Let her continue.”

Ioren nodded as she hit the repeat button on her tilon. “I strongly disagree with your statement, sir. The actions made by Stone were to save my life. The doctor of my clan refused to treat me.”

“Is this true?” Inoke questioned.

“Yes,” Ioren typed as Stone remained firm. “I’m a Golarren. My people hate me. They refuse to treat my voice, forcing me to use this. The doctor refused to save me when I was shot. If it weren’t for Stone, I would be dead by now.”

“That isn’t the point of this discussion,” Ramla stated. “While we can sympathize with your plight, these are laws established by the peace treaty with the UWA/T’rintar alliance. Stone had committed a crime by threatening the doctor’s life.”

“Yes,” Arno continued. “According to the reports, Stone had gone out of his way to that hospital to bring you there when he could have brought you to a UWA hospital to be treated where you wouldn’t have faced such opposition.”

“The human doctors would have had less skill to treat her,” Stone countered. “It was why I did it.”

“No ... according to the doctor’s report, you went to her before. You deliberately sought her out. You threatened to put a bullet into her if she didn’t care for Ioren.”

“I would be dead right now...” Ioren typed again. “My partner saved my life because a man with a military firearm had hurt me.”

“Precisely,” Stone added.

Inoke looked at the other admirals. The tattoed admiral nodded his head, understanding the situation. “I concur that our sympathies fall upon you, Ioren. I truly hope that you will receive further treatment in your case. I also wanted to let you know that I read in the report about the children of Dragon’s Eye. I have contacted and made arrangements with Oshun and New Olympia. New Olympia has been granted permission and promises to send a shuttle to Dragon’s Eye to pick up any children or offspring of the prisoners that wish to be adopted by New Olympian families.”

Ramla gave a nod of approval towards Ioren. Even the Itrean acknowledged the kind words. However, the fleet admiral seemingly didn’t care as he berated Stone and continued with the main topic.

“Unfortunately,” Arno explained. “That isn’t good enough for Stone. I have had a chance to review your past records. The police chief you operated with filed no complaints, but there have been complaints in your service record at the UHN Marine Academy on Mars. Complaints that showed you to be ruthless and barbaric towards others. Complaints that showed that you were hostile towards other staff members and to your own recruits.”

“A necessity and expected,” Stone added. “It’s called boot camp, Fleet Admiral. My responsibilities shaped the men and women that will defend us all.”

Despite the bitterness that flowed in his voice, Ioren could hear a genuine sense of pride in how he stated it just now. It reflected well that made Inoke nod in appreciation. Even Ramla gave a hint of notice upon it as well.

“Regardless,” Arno explained. “You might have done heroic actions in the past, but that doesn’t account for what happened these last two weeks. You went into an area that you shouldn’t have. You convinced a ship captain to give you power armor to wage war with exiled prisoners. As the CO of Oshunian military command, I find your actions on Dragon’s Eye and hostility towards the doctor appalling. You might have had a mission on that island, but ... I will have you court-martialed because of this.”

“I did everything I could...” Stone’s said as his voice clenched. The muscles and veins on his arms were throbbing from the anger that he was repressing. “I wouldn’t have expected less from this ... charade...”

“Master Sergeant,” Ramla called out to him.

“Fleet Admiral Arno,” the marine told him as his fury unfurled. “My partner and I did more for Oshun in these last two weeks than you ever did in six months. You try to shame my name! If these were the ancient days, then I would have challenged you to a duel to the death. I ... would enjoy it.”

“Stone!” Ramla yelled at him. Inoke gave a look of shock towards the scene that was transpiring.

“Don’t bother, Admiral Ramla,” Arno held up his hand in her direction. “Making threats to the CO of the Oshunian military command ... quite unbecoming. Perhaps you hold a good record, and maybe ... you have grown senile in these recent years. Perhaps losing a family member might have been harder for you than you think. One way or another, you will have your court-martial. There...”

He was cut off as Stone showed his teeth at him. The words of accusation about his family caused him to step forward. His uninjured hand was clenched into a fist as he was getting ready to engage in physical combat. It caused the Fleet Admiral to recoil back on his chair a little bit.

A sudden small hand pressed against Stone’s stomach. Ioren had jumped between them as the Itrean was looking up at the marine. Even if Stone was a rolling boulder of a person, he halted as he felt the tiny hand push upon him. It was just enough to pull the marine out of his bloodlust to bash the CO into the wall. The other admirals could see that the marine had momentarily settled.

“Fine...” Stone stated. “I see that it is the goal of the wicked to hold onto his throne at all cost. You won’t get your court-martial, Arno ... I resign.”

“Resign?” Arno questioned. “You don’t have the right to resign if you are being issued a summon for a court-martial.”

“Yes, I can. An officer of high rank can allow a serviceman to resign, and it doesn’t have to be you.”

He looked at Ramla and Inoke as Ioren could see what was happening. Stone was acting out of emotion, but not much could be done as she backed away a little bit. The anger and fury had defused enough that the COC was looking upon themselves.

“Are you sure of this?” Ramla asked Stone.

“Master Sergeant,” Inoke asked him. “Understand that we are not in full agreement with ourselves and still need to debate this further. Your service record is filled with commendations. You can still fight this. A court-martial can still find you not guilty and have you pardoned. You might be reinstated into service until you decide otherwise.”

“Why bother?” Stone answered. “I already fought against the leader of an organization a day ago. You can see the results...”

Ioren could see that Admiral Inoke was the most sympathetic of the situation. Ramla was the first to finally gave a nod of approval.

“Very well...” Inoke said with some regret. “Under this hearing, I, Admiral Inoke, endorse your resignation. You won’t have to face court-martial. Instead, you will receive an honorable discharge for your services in stopping the criminal syndicate on Dragon’s Eye.”

“Be lucky that you even have that,” Arno added as he gave a brief scornful look at Inoke. He waved his hand to the two. “Get out of my sight ... both of you.”

“Fine ... but,” Stone said as he looked at Ioren. “We have one last message for you, Fleet Admiral, both of us.”

“Get ... out!”

“Partner, at the count of three, you will use what I taught you with sign language ... just like that Itrean at the police precinct awhile back.”

Ioren gave an affirmative nod to him. She knew what he meant as she felt a surge of contentment.

“One, two, three...” Stone and Ioren both gave the middle finger to the CO. The man smirked in response as if he didn’t know what it meant. He at least knew enough that it might have been an insult. The door opened while the marine proceeded to step out, but Ioren gave an affirmative nod towards Admiral Inoke. She left the room, closed her tilon, and dared never to look back.


It had been a few hours. Both Ioren and Stone walked into the apartment. When the doors closed, Stone almost walked to the kitchen as if he wanted to head to the refrigerator. However, he stopped before he went and had a seat on the couch. Even though Ioren was still in her green dress, Stone was now in his regular shirt and jeans as before. The uniform, neatly folded, was practically tossed to the carpet as if he didn’t want anything to do with it anymore.

“Fuck them ... fuck everything,” Stone said as he planted his butt to the seat. He started to undo his boots. He simply shook his head in utter disbelief.

Ioren felt partially distraught towards everything that had happened. From seeing Stone being put through this to having to go through so much fighting. She had to ask herself if the battles at Dragon’s Eye were all worth it. At the same time, she had to put it aside. She could momentarily breathe a sigh of relief upon entering the apartment. She knew that she had to look out for Stone. She felt inclined to disagree with his statement as she typed.

“I don’t see it that way, Stone,” Ioren’s tilon stated.

“Your opinions don’t outweigh the choices that have been made,” he said with aggravation as he tossed the boot aside. “I can smell the snake that Arno is. I wasn’t sure at first, but now ... I would have had my hands around his throat, and I would have squeezed the life from it. Fucking traitor gave the command codes to Shaka’ra. He was the one that was giving the weapons to those prisoners.”

“But why would he do that?” Ioren typed. She went and had a seat next to him.

“I don’t fucking know. I don’t fucking know!” he reiterated and yelled. He slammed his fist to the armrest. “Disgraceful, son of a bitch ... but what does it matter.”

“You made the correct choice. You will finally rest.”

He made a deep sigh as he tossed the last boot off. For once, Ioren could genuinely see Stone relax. Regardless of everything, he seemed to agree with her.

“Hmph ... well ... at least you will have this apartment to yourself,” he told her.

“What do you mean?” she typed.

He grunted as he rested his back on the couch. “I have my retirement planned out. I’ve done my service. Regardless of the fuckers that try to sabotage it. I’ll be returning to Aphadus. I will have a gun collection bigger than any person on that planet, and I will shoot any Aksren or Shal’rein or any fucking intruder that comes to my property. Next time there is an invasion on that planet, I’ll be on their assault carrier killing every soldier that dares step on the ground.”

Despite the rather explanatory response, Ioren was not fully convinced as she typed. “You didn’t retire till now. You enjoyed serving the UHN.”

“Well, that’s over.” He started to undo the brace that was on his shoulder.

“I...” she paused her tilon as he could see that she was flustered. She gripped her arm hard as she rubbed it. She then resumed. “I think you are a hero, even if not everyone agrees.”

“You were the one that put a grenade tip into Shaka’ra’s back. You did more than you think.”

“I’m not talking about Dragon’s Eye,” Ioren typed. “You have done so much for others in your own way. You care for people even if you don’t believe it. You are...” she paused again.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close