A True History - Book Four - Cover

A True History - Book Four

Copyright© 2021 by StarFleet Carl

Chapter 2

I thought it was both amusing and fitting that we were meeting at the Palace of Nations.

The original complex had been completed in 1938 to serve as the headquarters of the League of Nations. Since that organization hadn’t fared very well, in 1946 there was an agreement signed between the United Nations and the Swiss government that this would be one of their headquarters locations. Courtesy of someone throwing the main UN headquarters building into the Atlantic Ocean, plus the seizure of nearly all UN monetary assets around the world, Switzerland decided that since they weren’t even actually a member nation of the UN, screw it, and repossessed the entire complex.

The minor detail that they also took over the headquarters buildings of the World Health Organization, the World Intellectual Property Organization, the World Meteorological Organization, and the World Trade Organization, were merely extra bonuses for them. The Austrian government had done the same thing with the UN offices in Vienna, but no one really knew what was happening in Nairobi. Things in Africa were getting weird. No one was really fighting across borders, for once, but there seemed to be a serious movement to unify parts of the Continent.

The girls had dressed me in a conservative, dark gray suit that I didn’t know I owned. Apparently, the tailor that had made my outfit for the Academy Awards had been busy, making several other pieces of clothing for me.

Chuck and Dave led our procession into the building. They, along with every member of our security team were wearing their dress uniforms and were under arms as well. I was behind and between them, with Diana on my left and Helen on my right. Everyone else came behind them in not quite as neat of order, but with two little children in strollers it couldn’t be helped.

Two of the functionaries directed us where to go once we were inside. Diana, Helen, and I went into a conference room where quite a lot of other people were either sitting or standing and talking to one another. Someone that I hadn’t met as Cal, but knew, saw us walk in. His face broke into a smile as he walked over to us, the Mace slung over his left shoulder. He put his hand out.

“Hello! I’ve seen your picture, of course, and I’m glad to finally meet you in person. I’m Walter Mondale.”

I took his hand. “It’s my pleasure to meet you in person, Governor. Or is it Mister President?”

He grinned. “To you, it’s Walter. Right now it’s Governor, acting on the authority of the Messenger from Above. The President thing is why we’re here today and why you’re here, too.”

I sighed. “So I gathered. Well, based upon absolutely zero laws other than the ones I’m dealing with as King of the First Peoples, these are two of my wives, Helen Awarai Lewis, and Diana Spencer Lewis. Technically, we’re two weeks early on the second, because her decree absolute won’t be official until the 26th, but...” I chuckled a little. “I don’t think there’re going to be any issue with it from Buckingham Palace.”

“Princess Helen, Princess Diana, it is my pleasure to meet both of you. And no, not according to what Maggie Thatcher said.” He shook both of their hands. “Well, we knew we’d be waiting for you, so now that you are here, we can get this little shindig started.” He stepped back and raised his voice a little.

“If everyone would please take your seats, we’re ready to begin!” He walked to the front of the room. One of the functionaries directed us where to sit. I wasn’t sure if it was good or not that we were in the front row, facing Walter, who was now standing at a podium. He stood there for a minute while the last couple of people took seats, then brought the Mace down from his shoulder. He shifted his grip on it, holding it by the haft like a pole, with the head down, then slammed it three times onto the floor. There was a large piece of granite that had been placed there, the purpose of which became apparent from the three loud bangs, much louder than a gavel, that resonated through the chamber.

He carefully leaned the Mace against the side of the lectern, then took hold of the top of the stand with both hands. Before he could say anything, there was the sound of

light applause coming from the far side of the room, which was quickly followed by everyone joining in. It went on for almost thirty seconds, then died away. Mondale stood still the entire time, the only sign that he was affected by it, a twitch that became a slight smile a couple of times, then went away.

When it was quiet again, he began speaking.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you all for attending today. These proceedings are being telecast live around the world. My name is Walter Mondale, and based upon the authority given to me by the Messenger from Above, in the name of the Galactic Council, I am the Governor of the planet Earth.” Now he did grin. “Or, to use the Latin term, which we shall use from now on, the planet Terra. We are here today to formalize something that is needed for us to become an effective member of the Galactic Council at some point in the future, and quite frankly, to insure the survival of humanity on this planet as well.

“This building we are in was constructed between 1929 and 1936 for the League of Nations. The League of Nations was founded after World War One in order to foster cooperation between the governments of the nations on this planet. The purpose of the League was to prevent war through collective security and disarmament, to combat human and drug trafficking, to help protect minorities, and other ideals. In order to accomplish those ideals, the League relied upon the voluntary cooperation of nations that joined. It failed miserably, as we saw shortly after this building was completed.

“This building was then taken over by the United Nations after World War Two, with the aim of preventing future wars by the cooperation of the governments of the nations on this planet. The United Nations was supposed to do many other things. Help with food and agriculture, civil aviation, labor, monetary funds for developing nations, tourism around the world, and helping with world health, among other aims. As we knew before the Messenger from Above visited, it was failing miserably at those jobs. He merely called it out as a failed organization, rife with thieves, bribery, and corruption. Just under two months ago, on February 16th, the United Nations was ended, by unanimous consent of the permanent members of the United Nations Security Council, following the complete destruction of the UN Headquarters Building in New York, the death of the UN Secretary-General at the hands of the Messenger from Above, and the release of documents that have so far led to the arrests of more than seven thousand diplomats and employees of the former United Nations. They face charges in the countries where they are being held ranging from money laundering, drug trafficking, human trafficking, theft, all the way up to murder and genocide.

“Both the League of Nations and the United Nations failed in their promises for one simple reason. They were considered international organizations but not an actual world government. One entity, answerable to the citizens of the planet. One entity with the authority and the strength to determine policy for everyone on the planet. One entity to actually govern the planet, allowing nations to care for their own citizens while knowing that their sovereignty is secure. We were told to ‘End the Fighting,’ ‘Destroy the bad Drugs,’ and to ‘Live in Peace’ by the Messenger from Above, the Ambassador Plenipotentiary to Terra from the Galactic Council. He so much as told us that the only way to do so was to form an actual planetary government. That is why we are assembled here today.”

From my left, I heard President Reagan. “Governor Mondale!”

“The chair recognizes Ronald Reagan, President of the United States of America.”

“Thank you, Governor. Two weeks ago, in coordination with the other permanent members of the UN Security Council, the United States formally dissolved that organization. The five of us agreed at that time that you were the Governor of Terra, and would be the acting President of a world government, pending the formation by a majority representation of the citizens of this planet of the formation of a formal, true, government for the entire planet. That is our purpose here today. Based upon that being our purpose, I hereby propose that we formally do so. I hereby move that the Federation of Terran Nations be considered the government of the planet Earth, with you as it’s first President, with authority and power over the actions of our own, individual nations in our interactions with other nations, while retaining our own sovereignty for actions within our own borders that do not violate any mandates from the planetary government or the Galactic Council, following the mandates of Caelistis, the Messenger from Above!”

Before Mondale could speak, at least half a dozen voices shouted out, “Second!”

“Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a motion before myself as Governor, to form the Federation of Terran Nations as the government of, and for, the planet Earth, its nations, and its citizens. All in favor, signify by saying Aye!”

“AYE!” resounded through the chamber.

“Opposed, say no!”

Half a dozen voices from the back of the room shouted, “No!”

Mondale thumped the Mace on the floor. “By voice vote, the motion carries. While we do not have someone present today from every single nation on Terra, we have enough. China, you represent twenty-two percent of the population of the world. What is your vote?”

“I am Xi Ku Peng, Chairman of the People’s Republic of China. We vote yes!”

Without Mondale saying anything, Indira Gandhi stood and said, “I am Indira Gandhi, Prime Minister of India. I represent sixteen point four percent of the population of the world. We vote yes!”

“Ronald Reagan, President of the United States. Our five percent votes yes!”

“I am Umar Wirahadikusumah, new President of Indonesia following the recent arrest of former President Suharto on corruption charges. The three point four percent of the people of Earth that I represent vote yes.”

Gorbachev was next, followed by José Sarney of Brazil, Prime Minister Nakasone of Japan, Benazir Bhutto of Pakistan, and Hussain Ershad of Bangladesh, all voting yes.

A black man in the back of the room stood up. “On behalf of the Supreme Military Council of Nigeria, we vote NO to this sham, and on behalf of the members of the United Nations, we hereby ORDER you to vacate these premises!”

There were shouts of outrage at this audacity. Mondale held up his hand, and when that didn’t work, pounded the Mace down again, which did.

“Let it be noted that the representatives from Nigeria object to these proceedings. With the ‘yes’ votes of other representatives so far, approval has reached fifty-eight point four percent of the population of this planet. That is more than a simple majority.”

“That is only nine nations! There are many, many more nations than that!” the Nigerian yelled.

Mondale remained quite calm. “Correct. But...” He held up a finger. “Bear with me for just a few more minutes and perhaps you’ll see what I mean. As Nigeria is the tenth most populated nation on the planet, we have been going in descending order. Allow me to continue through six more nations, and I’ll explain further. Germany?”

“Helmut Kohl of Germany, we vote yes!”

“Pedro Francisco de Mexico, we vote sí!”

“On behalf of the General Secretary of the Communist Party of Vietnam, I, Trường Chinh, vote yes.”

“I, Alessandro Pertini, President of Italy, vote yes!”

“Margaret Thatcher, United Kingdom. Yes.”

“As President of France, I, François Mitterrand, agree!”

“Thank you. Right now, I am the Governor of this Planet, acting in the place of the Planetary Plenipotentiary, Caelistis, the Messenger from Above ... the Galactic Council ... and I have both his power and his authority, including that of life and death, over everyone on this planet. However, there was a reason I asked those six nations as well. That is now sixteen of the seventeen most populous nations on this planet that agreed, for sixty-six point three percent of the people that live on this planet. Those sixteen nations represent, all by themselves, seventy-two point three percent of the wealth generated by this planet. This is why the League of Nations failed. This is why the United Nations failed. The Federation of Terran Nations is not a wealth redistribution scheme, to take from the wealthiest nations and give it to the poorest. This is an actual world government, in case you haven’t figured it out.

“Two-thirds of Terra’s population is more than enough to meet the minimum standards set by the Galactic Council for the formation of the Federation of Terran Nations. The vote passes. By your vote, I hereby step down as Governor and hereby accept the position as actual President of the Federation of Terran Nations.”

The standing ovation that followed his announcement went on for almost two minutes.

When it was done, the Nigerians stood back up. “What does that mean?”

“That means that, under the rules as given to us by the Galactic Council, this planet is now governed by the Federation of Terran Nations. The sixteen nations that voted for me to take this office are now members. I will select qualified people from all nations that wish to join the Federation to help govern this planet. After all, you can’t have an actual world government without people to run things, can you? Even more so when some of the choices are going to seem, politely, controversial. At the same time ... if necessary, I won’t hesitate to fire someone or use this if need be.” He thumped the Mace on the floor again, as a reminder that the weapon had been used to kill people not that long ago.

“There are currently two hundred and one nations on this Earth. Of the remaining one hundred eighty-five, one hundred eighty-four are eligible at this time to join the Federation of Terran Nations. If they wish to do so, that’s fine. If they don’t wish to do so, that’s also fine. There will be a tax upon each nation that joins to support and pay for the operations of the Federation. It will not be onerous. There will be no charity from the Federation. Other than military activity, it does not exist to regulate what or how each country treats every other nation on this planet or to ensure that each nation treats their citizens fairly. What you do within your own borders is up to you. Who you choose to trade with is up to you. You will End the Fighting, you will destroy the bad drugs, and you will Live in Peace. That is the purpose of the Federation. It took an alien from another world to point out how childish we have been acting. As he stated to all of us many times, it’s time to grow up.”

“But ... what about the UN Food Programs, that help feed the people of our nation, of many parts of Africa?”

“That’s up to you. Those no longer exist. All stockpiles of UN food around the world have been commandeered by nations that are now members of the Federation. All monies formerly belonging to the UN have been commandeered by nations that are now members of the Federation. If the United States or China wishes to send you food, that’s on them to do so. No longer will any nation be coerced into helping another. As for you personally, by your actions today, Nigeria will not be allowed to join the Federation of Terran Nations for a minimum of five years. I suggest you figure out how to feed your own people, that’s not our problem.”

Walter picked up the Mace and slammed it onto the floor.

“The Federation of Terran Nations will guarantee the freedom and sovereignty of each nation on this planet. That is its mission. That is its only mission. Your nation has military coups every couple of years, that’s on you. We don’t care. I’m going to seem heartless and cruel by saying that. I don’t care. You want to go act like a tin-horn dictator in your own nation? Go right ahead. We won’t stop you, but we won’t help you, either. Ending the fighting means making sure you’re not attacking your neighbors, and your neighbors aren’t attacking you. That’s what we’ll do. If you have bad drugs in your country, we’ll come in, destroy them, and then leave. Do you know why we are here to govern the planet, and not to coddle you like a spoiled child?

“Caelistis, the Messenger from Above, warned us of a danger coming next year. He never said he would defend us from it. Before he left, he said that there was a being watching our planet to prevent us from fighting wars. He never said that being would defend us from it. We’ve all seen his power. Imagine a being with those powers without his self restraint. Keep in mind that even restrained, more than ten million people died by his actions. Unrestrained? That’s what we face next year. That’s our mission. Defend the Earth, and once that’s done, make it so we can meet the Galactic Council on our terms, not theirs.

“So, no. I don’t really care one damned little bit about whether or not your feelings are hurt. I don’t really care whether or not you have another military coup in six months, and then use that as an excuse to try to get something for nothing from everyone else. My job is to govern this entire planet. I notice that you are here as a representative for Nigeria, but you are not Mohammadu Bahari, the actual military dictator of Nigeria. Mister Chinh is here today because the General Secretary of his nation is on his deathbed, and Mister Chinh will shortly assume power there. The only reason I can think of that General Bahari would not attend today is because he is afraid.”

“General Bahari is not afraid!”

“As long as he stays in his own country, he can tell all the lies he wants. There was more than enough evidence in the safe of Pérez de Cuéllar to indict Bahari and at least two-thirds of the leaders of almost every nation in Africa for theft, bribery, extortion, murder, rape, and general crimes against humanity itself. I have to say almost, because Egypt, Madagascar, and Mauritius are considered part of Africa. Three out of fifty-three isn’t bad, I guess. Of course you want to keep the United Nations going! It’s your own little crime syndicate. More than a hundred nations around the globe, stealing from the rest. No more! Grow the hell up!”

The delegations from Nigeria and Ethiopia stormed out, while everyone else stood for another round of applause.

Once things had settled again, Mondale looked around. “I’m not addressing those of you here now, I’m talking to the people around the world. We can no longer afford to coddle people. Speaking very bluntly is something I learned from Caelistis. It sucks. People are going to die because of what’s happened here today. It’s not that I don’t care, because I do. UN Peacekeepers ... that’s a joke. They’d go in, rape the women, give food to whoever they wanted to, and then leave. Then the warlords would come in and take whatever was left. Nigeria is now under its fourth different military dictatorship in the last nineteen years. Ethiopia was an empire until eleven years ago. They’re on their fourth military dictator. For every one hundred dollars of aid that one of the countries still in this room would give to a nation in Africa, less than ten cents would actually make it to actually helping the people. The rest would stick to fingers in the UN, or to whichever dictator happened to be in charge, or was simply ‘lost in transit.’

“If you gave them ten thousand dollars, ten dollars was all that was helping. No more. That is why the United Nations no longer exists. That is why the Federation of Terran Nations is not a ‘charity’ or anything else. This is a huge and grand building we’re in. That’s why it’s fitting we have this ceremony here today. When we’re done, I’m turning every bit of this over to Switzerland. We don’t need the delusions of grandeur that buildings and edifices like this give to people. We need a simple office building. We don’t need places for two or three hundred people to meet and discuss things. These huge, ornate monuments to the egos of the people involved, complete with thousands of underlings to micro-manage decisions and steal what they can, serve no function.”

He shook his head. “I need an office, and a couple of secretaries. I’ll need a vice-president, and he or she will need a couple of secretaries. Six people that are regional assistants. Two for Europe, Asia and Australia, two for Africa, two for the Americas, Greenland, Iceland, and Antarctica. They’ll each need a couple of secretaries. Notice I’m talking about simple office assistants, not anyone with any powers. A treasurer to help pay for everything. One military advisor, and yes, we will have an actual standing military. Their job is simple. To enforce the three mandates. They won’t be ‘Peacekeepers,’ with stupid rules of engagement. They will be equipped to do exactly what the forces of the United States, the Soviet Union, China, and all the allies are doing in Central and South America. Go in, kill the drug manufacturers and dealers, and then leave. It’s not up to them to be polite about it, either. Someone goes to war against their neighbor, they’ll go in and put an end to it. Even if that means putting an end to whoever started the war and everyone in that nation. Like I said, it’s time we grow up. We’ll have a planetary defense advisor, and everyone here knows who he is. And that’s it. No agriculture groups, no human rights abuse groups, no general assembly, security council, economic or social councils, no court of justice...” He snorted when he said that.

“Sorry, that was another joke organization, courtesy of the UN. They only had power if both nations said they did. We’ll have one person, trained on international law, that can handle any disputes that come up. As we were told, you want to trade with someone, trade with them. You don’t want to trade with them, don’t. It’s not up to anyone else to tell a sovereign nation what to do. It’s not up to anyone else to help them out if they get into trouble, either. Otherwise, you should be able to figure things out, and to work things out, like adults. Like responsible citizens of this planet.”

He paused, then continued in a softer voice. “I said something earlier, about the threat we face. Don’t panic, don’t go running around yelling the sky is falling. If for no other reason than we have absolutely no idea what’s going to happen. In a recent meeting to discuss things, one of the members of the Shiva study group said that, ideally, we’ll not be in any danger here. At the same time, if it was necessary to literally sacrifice the entire state of California to insure Shiva was destroyed, then we’d do that. Don’t know means just that ... we – don’t – know. I don’t want anyone on any news broadcast to twist my words. I’m not saying don’t be concerned. I am telling you to not panic, because there’s no need for that.”

He laughed. “One of President Reagan’s famous sayings to strike fear into the hearts of every person that hears it is, ‘I’m from the government, and I’m here to help.’ Well, I am the government, for the whole world. I’m not here to help, I’m here to make sure that you, the citizens of Terra, have a long, and prosperous, future ahead of you. One of peace. One of hope. One of adventure. And one that lasts a long, long time. Thank you all, and good evening.”

The leaders in the room again stood and applauded him. There was a slight nod, and all the lights on the cameras that had been broadcasting went out. That was Walter’s signal to pick the Mace back up and walk down, to start shaking everyone’s hand and saying a few words to everyone.

Diana leaned over to me. “Did you really give him all that power?” she whispered.

“Not me. Some other guy.” I turned my head, then gave her a little kiss on the cheek. In the interests of fairness, I did the same for Helen. Then we stood up, to greet the first person walking up to us.

“Good evening, Mister President. Sorry about the phone call the other day.”

He laughed. “No, you’re not. You’re just using the ‘peace dividend’ that we’re getting from cutting our defense budget in half.”

“Of course. Ten billion is a hundred twenty-five percent of what their budget was, while still leaving you another hundred ninety billion to help pay off the national debt.”

“Is that what you think we should do with the money?” Reagan asked.

“Well, I’m not the Doctor of Business Administration, that’s Margie. I’m the PhD in Political Science and Economics. Which would make the United States stronger? Being a debtor nation, while still having the largest gross domestic product on the planet, or being a lender nation, in the same position?”

“There’d be complaints that it’s not fair.”

“From who? China? Japan? The Soviet Union? They’re not your worry. The people that live within the fifty United States are your concern. As far as trade deals go, the best deals around are where both parties feel like they got screwed, not just one side.”

“I agree with Mister ... pardon me, Doctor Lewis,” said a deeply accented voice. “I have not met this young man yet who is so greatly affecting my nation with all of his inventions, and this was the perfect opportunity.” He held out his hand.

“Mister Gorbachev, it’s my pleasure. I’m not involved so much in the day-to-day operations of what all my companies are doing. I presume you’re talking about Ice-X.”

“That, and your wind turbines. We hope to be able to reduce our dependence upon coal, and perhaps even nuclear reactors, with them. Of course, having excess money in our budget is always a good thing. We are ... beating our swords into plowshares.”

I nodded. “That’s a good thing.” I translated what he’d said for Reagan. We didn’t get to talk further because Walter had returned to the podium and banged the Mace again.

“Thank you all for coming this evening. I realize that we have audience members watching from both the back of this room as well as the gallery above. The leaders of the twenty-five most populated nations on Earth were invited here today. If those leaders only, as well as those people that have had roles designated with the new government could please come with me, we need to have a small meeting next door, thank you.”

I didn’t think anything of it when following Walter that Diana and Helen came with me. I thought it was because of my job.

There were several tables in a U shape, with another table across the top of the U. Walter went to the middle of that one. “You all know each other, if you’d please take a seat, I want to introduce you to everyone I’ve chosen so far for the government.”

There were name tags set up by country for them, with two empty spots where Nigeria and Ethiopia would have been.

“Thank you. Cal, are we alone?”

I scanned the leaders. Using my power, I pulled out two hidden microphones, and took one shoe off. I crushed them in the middle of the U. “Now we are, Mister President. From the way these were placed, I don’t think the leaders knew about them.”

“In case anyone was wondering why I chose a sixteen-year-old to be in charge of the defense of the planet Earth ... excuse me, Terra ... as Spatial Defense Minister, that’s why. I’d like to give you all a nice, long briefing about things. We don’t really have the time tonight. Missus Gandhi knows the full story, so does President Reagan. As I stated, I need a few people to help run things around the world. People I trust. People that will do the best for the world, regardless of their national beliefs. Some of these people you know, some of them you don’t.

“First is my Vice-President. My action in choosing this man as Vice-President will affect the future of a nation, but I believe he will be better for all of us. I choose the Foreign Minister of Israel, Yitzhak Shamir.”

There were shocked looks from several of the world leaders, while others smiled at the choice. Shamir had joined us in the room and walked up to Walter.

“I don’t have a big oath or anything like that. Will you accept the job?”

“Of course, Mister President.”

“Thank you. Okay, two regional assistants for Europe, Asia, and Australia. That’s easy. Princess Diana Spencer Lewis, Princess Helen Awarai Lewis.”

The ladies left my side, while my jaw nearly hit the floor.

“Ladies, will you accept these positions with our new world government?”

They both nodded, saying, “Yes, Mister President,” one after the other.

“Two for the Americas, Iceland, Greenland, and Antarctica. The former Governor of the State of Indiana, Doctor Otis Bowen, and someone who a lot of you are going to think I’ve lost my mind in choosing him, Cristian Bauman.”

While several of the world leaders looked confused, I started laughing. When Cris walked up from where he’d been hiding, I chuckled. “No good deed goes unpunished.”

“Apparently so. Would you believe that Shimon Peres gave me a good recommendation for this position?”

Mondale said, “Gentlemen, will you accept these positions with our new world government?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close