Gaia - Cover

Gaia

Copyright© 2022 by A Carpenters Son

Epilogue

During June 2019, the 1000 seat Performing Arts Center served as the assembly hall for the US House of Representatives. An educated man from Mexico, named Thiago brought his family to Omak. He had been the paymaster for the third division. Now he was the elected Representative for his County.

Willy now entertained Thiago and Skut. The three boys were all over Omak. They were seen in Sou’s Family Restaurant having lunch, sitting at the President’s Table. Willy ordered ice cream cones for the three. Jenny had gotten word of her son missing, then another call of him being at Sou’s Family Restaurant. Jenny got the family together, all but John. They marched into Sou’s, “What do you have to say for yourself young man?”

“Ice Cream?” Willy said.

“Do you have anything to pay for it with you?” Jenny asked.

“Daddy!” Willy shared.

“The First Lady, the President thought this might happen. He asked for us to run a tab,” One of Sou’s daughters suggested.

“I have a better idea.” Jenny reached into her pocket and pulled out a one-ounce silver coin. She gave it to Willy, “You pay for it and put the change into your pocket for next time.” “ “Okay, Mama,” Willy said.

“Do you have enough money to buy us a cone too?” Jenny asked.

Willy made the shrug of the shoulders and had a question on his face for his answer.

“Well ask her?” Jenny was laughing.

Willy held up the silver coin, “Enough?” he asked Sou’s daughter.

“Yes Willy, you have more than enough.” The daughter said.

“Okay! Tomorrow too?” Willy set the coin down and attacked his rocky rainbow delight. There were four kinds of ice cream on this cone. A strawberry with real chunks of strawberries. Vanilla with chunks of cookies. Chocolate with chunks of chocolate and a bit of orange sherbet.

“Yes, tomorrow and many days too.” She spoke.

“Willy, where are you going after this?” Jenny asked.

“Baby Chickens.” Willy shared.

“Then where?” Jenny asked. He was going to the high school’s barn.

“Baby fish,” Willy answered.

“Then where?” Jenny and the kids had their cones. The next stop was the fish hatchery.

“Home,” Willy said between bites.

“Willy, can your brothers and sisters go with you?” Jenny needed to get back to Robert & Gaia for their feeding. She had left them next door with the General’s wife Beth.

Willy turned to Skut and Thiago and asked them. They didn’t care. They were having a good time following Willy around like big boys of the world. Sam and John had given up on trying to protect them. Willy could more likely protect any bodyguard that was assigned to him. All the kids had an ID tag attached to their lanyards showing where they were. The kids have all been taught to push the button if they are afraid of someone or if they see someone hurt.

A large computer screen was being monitored by the Minutemen showing where all the tags were. By holding the mouse pointer over any one of the tags, the name would come up. If a button were pushed an alarm would sound with name and location on the screen.

Jenny asked the boys to wait. Willy was displeased but agreed he needed the change for tomorrow.

Ben suggested everyone that who still had cones take napkins. Willy got his change and Jenny helped him put it deep in his pocket, so he would still have it for tomorrow and the next day.

“Ready, GO!” Willy announced, and Jenny was left by herself.

“Mrs. First Lady, can I get you anything?” Sou’s Daughter was laughing.

“Yes, please get me a napkin.” Jenny was also laughing, “What did they have for lunch?”

“They started with a cup each of the smoked salmon chowder and a seafood variety plate. I brought each of the boys their own plates and sauces for dipping then divided the seafood up among the three. I took the opportunity to add carrot sticks and celery sticks to their plate. The boys loved to dip the veggies into the sauces and all three ate all of them. Then the cones for dessert. And they all had a small orange juice with their meal.”

“Well, they’re eating okay. He didn’t leave you any tip.” Jenny shared.

Mrs. First Lady, your son and his friends have made my day.” The daughter laughed, “I want one just like Willy.” The two laughed for a minute.

“Why are you calling me First Lady?” Jenny asked in a quiet voice.

“Daddy says while the world is here we need to show everyone our love and respect for you and Mr. President.”

“Okay, but when they go home, we go back to Jenny and John!” Jenny said.

“Yes, Mam.” The two laughed again.

Jenny reached into her pocket and found a 90% silver quarter (Worth $4 about 1/5 of a day’s pay). She handed it to Sou’s Daughter, “That one’s silver. It may be the only tip you get waiting on a four-year-old and his posse.”

“Thank you very much, now I have two of these.” The two laughed some more.

On day four of congress being in session Willy and a dozen little boys marched into the Taylor bank. Lucy had attracted a half-dozen little girls and they were with Willy and his posse. Lucy and Willy sat in the chairs in front of John’s desk. Barket and Mesha were sitting on the floor between them. The others all either sat or stood around John’s worktable.

Barbara had enough 8 oz. bottles of cold water to give each of the kids a cold one. She had invited some friends and they had been working nights and weekends making hundreds of little leather pouches that would fasten on the kid’s belts. Anyone coming into the Bank during the time Congress was in session would be given a pouch and a bottle of water to go into it like a cheap version of a canteen.

Barbara with Sam and Mary were helping the kids fasten a leather holder onto their belts. She would twist the cap so the kids could open their bottles later. After tightening again, she placed the bottle in the leather holder. The child would give Barbara and her helpers a hug and a Thank You!

“Daddy, can I get some of my ... savings?” Willy asked, “Buy lunch for friends.”

John’s head popped up. Barbara’s too. Willy now at four had said more than his usual three to four words, “Are you having fun?” John smiled.

Lucy, Willy, and Barket all agreed they were having fun. Mesha being a lady also agreed with a tail wag.

“What if I buy you guys’ lunch today?” John asked. “You are entertaining a very important group. You Know?” John gave Willy two one-ounce silver coins and handed Lucy two also.

Five-year-old Lucy handed them to Willy, “He is my protector and hero.” Lucy smiled. Ever since Willy took out two of the 12’ giants, his sister worshiped him as a hero.

Willy very carefully pushed the four silver coins into his pocket. He made sure they were in as deep as they could go. He then doubled checked them. Lucy was fastening the leash onto Barket while Mesha sat and waited her turn. Once attached, Barket the German Shorthair did a 360 and a bark of excitement.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close