Sabotage in Space - Cover

Sabotage in Space

Copyright© 2022 by Carey Rockwell

Chapter 15

“Scott!”

“Here!” bellowed a grizzled spaceman in reply to Major Connel’s call.

“Augutino!”

“Here!”

“Jones!

“Present!”

“Smith!”

“Here!”

“Albert!”

“Here!”

Connel checked the last name on the clipboard and turned to Professor Hemmingwell standing beside him at the base of the ship. “All present and ready, sir.”

“Fine!” said the professor. He turned and looked around. “Where is Dave?”

“Here he comes now,” said Connel.

They both watched Barret stride toward them, his arms loaded with gear.

“This is the stuff I told you about, Professor,” he said as Hemmingwell looked at it curiously.

“What stuff?” asked Connel.

“Portable heaters for the crew’s space suits, just in case--” Barret paused meaningfully.

“In case of what?” growled Connel.

“Why, ask them!” replied Barret, gesturing toward the group of civilian crewmen who had been selected for the test flight of the spaceship.

Connel turned to look at them, then back at Barret. “Ask them what?” he barked.

“How they feel about making this flight,” said Barret.

Connel scowled and turned to the men. “Is there anything to what he says?” he demanded.

The men shuffled their feet nervously but did not reply.

“Well?” exploded Connel.

“See, they’re afraid of you, Connel,” said Barret, deliberately omitting the courtesy of using the major’s title.

Ignoring Barret’s thrust, Connel continued to face the men. “Is that right, men?” he shouted. “Are you afraid of me?”

There was a mumble from the group and then the man named Scott, a thick-set individual with black flashing eyes, stepped forward.

“Speaking for myself,” he said, looking straight at the major, “I’m not afraid of anything that walks. And that includes you, Major Connel. No offense meant, it’s just a statement of fact.” He paused and drew a deep breath. Then he added, “But I am afraid of this ship.”

“Why?” demanded Connel, who could not help admiring the man for his straightforward approach.

“She’s junk-jinxed,” said the man, using the expression of spacemen who believed a ship with a suspicious accident record should be junked because it was jinxed.

“Junk-jinxed!” cried Connel, amazed.

“Preposterous,” snorted Professor Hemmingwell. “Why, you helped build this ship, Scotty! Do you doubt the work you’ve put into her? Or the work of your friends?”

“That has nothing to do with it,” replied Scott stubbornly. “The others feel the same way I do.”

Barret stepped forward. Arrogantly and before Connel could stop him, he began addressing the men. “Listen, you men!” he shouted. “You’re being childish! Why, you built this ship! How can you possibly allow yourselves to be so stupid as to believe in an idiotic thing like a jinx. Now, why don’t you just get aboard and stop being so ridiculously superstitious!”

Connel could have reached out with one of his big hands and squeezed Barret’s neck to shut him up. Instead of allaying their fears, which even he would admit were real enough, the man was creating further resentment with his attack on their pride as thinking, reasoning men.

“All right, all right!” he bellowed. “That’s enough for now, Mister Barret!” He turned to the men and he could tell by the expressions on their faces that he had lost them. They would not take the ship aloft. But he had to try.

“Now listen,” he growled. “This is a very important project and someone has been trying to get us to wash out the whole idea. If you don’t come through, he’ll succeed. You are the best men in your fields, and if each of you attend to your particular job, then the ship will blast off and be a success! Now, how about it?”

He was met with the stony faces of men who were afraid. Nothing he could say or offer them would get them to take the ship off the ground. He tried a new tack. “I’m offering you double wages!” he roared.

The men were silent.

“Double wages and a bonus!”

Silence.

“All right! Beat it!” he growled. “Don’t ever show your faces around here again!”

Connel turned to Professor Hemmingwell. “I’ll see if I can’t muster a crew from the ranks of the Solar Guard,” he said.

“Major,” said the professor, his face worn and haggard from the long ordeal of completing the project, “I wouldn’t want men ordered to man this vessel.”

“They’re in the Solar Guard and they take orders,” said Connel.

“No,” persisted Hemmingwell. “I will not let a man on that ship that does not want to go. Remember, Major, it is still my personal property.”

“All right,” said Connel grimly. “I’ll see if I can recruit a crew from the civilian workers around the Academy.”

But Major Connel encountered the same superstitious dread everywhere. The word had spread that the projectile ship was jinxed. Old tales of other ships that had gone out into space, never to be heard of again, were recalled, and the men found instances of similar prelaunching happenings on the projectile ship. Very little of it was true, of course. The stories were half-truths and legends that had been handed down through generations of spacemen, but they seemed to have special significance now.

Connel fumed and ranted, threatened and cajoled, begged and pleaded, but it was no use. There was not a man in the Academy who would set foot inside the “jinxed” ship. Finally, in a last desperate attempt, he ignored Hemmingwell’s order and appealed to Commander Walters.

“No, Lou. I cannot order men to take that ship up,” Commander Walters replied, “and you know it!”

“Why not?” argued Connel. “You’re the commander, aren’t you?”

“I most certainly am,” asserted Walters, “and if I want to get other things done in the Solar Guard, I can’t order men to take a jinxed ship off the ground.” He looked at Connel narrowly. “Do you remember the old freighter, the Spaceglow?” he asked.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close