Sabotage in Space - Cover

Sabotage in Space

Copyright© 2022 by Carey Rockwell

Chapter 20

“Turn on the lights! Cut in the emergency batteries!”

Connel’s bull-throated roar carried through the ship as he stood on the power deck with Astro and shouted to Tom on the control deck. The space torpedo had destroyed the stern of the vessel, and if it hadn’t been for Astro’s quick action in sealing off the aftersection of the ship, all the air might have been lost and the crew dead of suffocation.

A moment later the emergency lights glowed weakly and Connel and the big Venusian cadet began a quick inspection of the ship. The power deck was a total loss. The ship would never get under way again.

Up on the radar bridge, Roger was about to turn on the radar scanner when Tom appeared and stopped him.

“Wait a while, Roger,” he said. “We may need the power for something else.”

“What, for instance?” snorted Roger.

“That ship is still out there, probably closing in for the kill.”

“A blasted lot we can do about it,” Roger growled.

“I’ve got a plan that might work,” said Tom half-heartedly. “It’s about the only thing I can think of, unless Connel and Astro have a better idea.”

“What is it? Whatever it is, it’s better than sitting here like a dead duck, waiting for that rat to come in and finish us off!” said Roger. “Look, I’ve just got to see what he’s doing out there.” He flipped on the scanner switch and while he waited for the set to warm up he turned back to Tom. “What’s your idea?”

“Well,” began Tom, “the only thing we’ve got on board that we can use to fight back with are those projectiles.”

“How can we fight with projectiles?” demanded Roger. “They don’t carry warheads!”

“No,” agreed Tom. “But they’re big and heavy. They pack a wallop if they hit anything.”

Roger’s eyes brightened suddenly. “Say, I think--”

The scanner began to beep and Roger turned his attention to the screen. Tom leaned over his shoulder and watched eagerly. They both saw Devers’ ship flying in a slow circle around them.

“Probably looking to see which would be the best way to let us have it!” snarled Roger.

At that moment Major Connel climbed into the radar bridge, followed by Astro.

“Time to go,” announced the officer.

“Go where?” demanded Roger.

“We have to abandon ship,” declared Connel. “The power deck is shot. We’ll never get under way, and we’re just sitting ducks if we stay aboard.”

“What’s to prevent Devers from picking us off while we’re outside?” asked Roger.

“Nothing,” said Connel. “But he’ll have a harder job and maybe he won’t get all of us.”

“Then, sir,” said Tom with a glance at Roger, “I have an idea.”

“Let’s have it,” said Connel.

“The projectiles, sir,” replied Tom.

“What about them?”

“We can still fire them off the emergency batteries, sir.”

“Will you get to the point, Corbett?” growled Connel. “Devers is liable to send another torpedo our way any second and--” Connel suddenly stopped and his eyes widened. “A torpedo!” he gasped.

“Exactly, sir!” exclaimed Tom. “We have five projectiles! We can use them as torpedoes!”

“Jumping Jupiter!” exclaimed Astro. “What a terrific idea!”

“What a terrific pipe dream!” snapped Connel. “Those projectiles don’t have any warheads!”

“They could still do a lot of damage if they hit that ship,” asserted Tom.

“And how do you expect to aim them?” demanded Connel. “There’s not enough juice in the batteries to steer them!”

“We’ll just fire them straight ahead, sir,” broke in Roger. “Look!” he continued, pointing to the scanner screen. “Devers’ ship is just circling us now. And he’s on the same plane of the ecliptic. If he holds that course--”

“He’ll cross our bow!” exclaimed Astro excitedly. “A perfect shot!”

“Ridiculous!” shouted Connel. “Preposterous! It’ll never work in a million light years! He’ll fire another torpedo and we’ll be blasted into space dust!”

“But we can try it, can’t we, sir?” asked Tom, grinning.

“Of course we can!” roared Connel. “I’ve never given up a battle yet and, by the stars, I’m not going to now!”

Forgetting rank and protocol, the three cadets danced around the major, slapping him on the back and howling their enthusiasm. Connel could not restrain a momentary grin and then his features assumed his usual bulldog look.

“Knock it off!” he shouted. “We’ve got work to do. Manning!”

“Yes, sir?”

“Keep your eyes nailed to that scanner!” Connel bellowed. “Sing out if Devers changes course by so much as a hair!”

“Aye, aye, sir!”

“Astro!”

“Sir?”

“Put space suits on Professor Hemmingwell and Barret and stand by with them on the control deck.”

“Aye, aye, sir!”

“Corbett, you and I will check the projectiles. Make sure they’re in firing order!”

Spinning on his heel, Connel left the radar bridge. Alone for just an instant, the three cadets of the Polaris unit clasped hands in silent determination and then plunged into their various assignments.

Five minutes later, Connel and Tom returned to the control deck to find Astro waiting for them. Professor Hemmingwell and Barret, both in space suits, were seated on acceleration couches. As Connel walked up to him, Hemmingwell raised his head slowly, still under the effects of the sedative.

“What’s--what’s happening, Major?” he asked haltingly.

“Professor,” said Connel, “one of two things is going to happen. Either your ship will be blown to space dust or Carter Devers will be finished and we’ll bring your ship back to Earth!”

“Good, good,” murmured Hemmingwell.

“And as for you, Barret”--Connel turned toward the man angrily--”now you can see what kind of thanks you get for your dirty work! Your boss is just as willing to get rid of you as he is to destroy this project!”

Barret flushed under Connel’s glare and turned away.

At the control panel, Tom opened the circuits to the five loaded firing chambers and then turned to Connel. “All set to fire, sir!” he called.

“Any word from Manning?” asked Connel.

“Not while I’ve been here,” replied Astro.

Connel picked up the intercom microphone. “Hello, Manning!” he shouted. “What’s the story?”

“Coming up to the last chapter,” replied Roger over the intercom. “Devers is holding course. Should cross our bow in two minutes!”

“Good,” replied Connel. “Keep us posted!”

Replacing the microphone, he turned to Tom. “Stupid fool!” he snorted. “He should’ve fired another torpedo and wiped us out. What’s the matter with him?” Connel abhorred stupidity, even in an adversary.

“Maybe he thinks we’ve already had it,” suggested Astro. “With our stern blasted away, he might figure all the air’s gone out of the ship.”

“Let’s hope he keeps on figuring that way,” said Connel. “Everything ready to fire, Corbett?”

“All set, sir,” the young cadet replied. “I’ve hooked up all circuits to this button.” He pointed to a button on the control panel. “We’ll blast in salvo.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close