Cookie Magic - Cover

Cookie Magic

Copyright© 2022 by Lazlo Zalezac

Chapter 2

Posted: September 10, 2009 - 11:52:25 pm

Victoria grabbed Molly’s arm before the young woman had a chance to step outside of the building. Surprised at being kept back from where the other students were gathered, Molly asked, “What?”

“Go change your dress,” Victoria said furtively.

“Why?” Molly asked.

Victoria glanced around to make sure that she wouldn’t be overheard before she answered, “Mark O’Toole will see that dress and believe that you wore it just for him. You need to get in the ugliest outfit in your closet. I suggest some grungy old gym clothes.”

“Don’t be silly. We’re going to a five star restaurant,” Molly said.

“O’Tooles think the world revolves around them and their family. You need to get away before it is too late,” Victoria said. She looked around nervously.

“It can’t be that bad,” Molly said.

“It is. Once one of them decides that he or she is going to marry someone, they are impossible to get rid of,” Victoria said.

Molly rolled her eyes and said, “That isn’t even grammatically correct. One of them decides doesn’t agree with they are. It should be he or she is impossible to get rid of.”

“No. I meant what I said. One of them decides to marry you and the whole family works to make it happen,” Victoria said.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about,” Molly said.

Victoria jumped a foot in the air when Mark said, “Hello, Victoria. Cousin Chuck sends his regards.”

“Oh no!”

“He says that he’ll be here for your graduation and hopes that you’ll enjoy a little time in the kitchen with him,” Mark said with a smile.

“I’ll never go in a kitchen with him again.”

“He mentioned something about a graduation present that involves sharing his leg of lamb recipe with you,” Mark said.

“He didn’t?” Victoria said licking her lips.

“Yes. That’s one of his favorite dishes,” Mark said.

“The leg of lamb, huh?” Victoria said biting her lower lip.

“That’s right,” Mark said.

“The one that tastes like a slice of heaven?” Victoria asked feeling tempted by the offer.

“That’s the one,” Mark said.

“He can write it down on a card and mail it to me,” Victoria said with a hint of desperation in her voice.

Mark shook his head and said, “You know better than that.”

“I love that lamb,” Victoria said with a whimper.

“It is good,” Mark said with a grin.

“He’ll want me in the kitchen with him,” Victoria said. Working in the kitchen with Chuck would involve food, wine, and conversation. It was a triple threat and she knew it.

“That’s right,” Mark said.

Knowing that she would hate herself, Victoria said, “Okay, but I’m not going to make any crepes with him.”

“I heard about the little episode with the crepes,” Mark said.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Victoria said. Her face had turned bright red.

“Don’t feel embarrassed. You aren’t the first person to get discovered naked in a kitchen,” Mark said patting her on the back. “It happens all of the time in my family.”

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Victoria said through clenched teeth.

Mark turned to Molly and said, “I love that outfit. It really highlights your trim figure and impressive chest. I’m sure you were thinking of me when you put it on.”

Molly turned to stare at Victoria. She was beginning to understand why the woman had acted in the manner she had. She said, “I would have worn gym clothes if I had been thinking of you.”

“That’s funny,” Mark said with a chuckle. “I see our limousines have arrived to take us on our date. Let’s go.”

“Date?” Molly asked picking up the key word in his statement.

“This is our first date,” Mark said.

Victoria saw the look of desperation on Molly’s face and said, “You’re dealing with an O’Toole.”

“This is a class trip,” Molly said.

“I arranged to have a few chaperones. I didn’t want you to feel too pressured,” Mark said. He took the two women by the elbows and directed them towards one of the limousines.

“You arranged this?” Molly asked too stunned to wonder why she was allowing herself to be lead by Mark.

Victoria said, “I tried to warn you.”

“Hey, there’s Cousin Tony. We’ll ride with him,” Mark said while steering them to a stretch limousine that was at the end of a procession of limousines.

“Cousin Mark!”

“Cousin Tony!”

“How’s the school going?” Tony asked.

“They are teaching us how to burn food,” Mark answered with a grin.

“That’s good.”

“How are things in the Senate?” Mark asked.

“Same old politics. We generate so much hot air that you’d think we were responsible for global warming,” Tony answered. He looked over the two women with Mark appreciatively and asked, “Who are the young women with you?”

“This is Molly Andrews. She’s going to be my wife,” Mark answered.

“No I’m not,” Molly said crossing her arms.

“Perky,” Tony said appreciatively. “When she crosses her arms like that I can see why you like her.”

“Argh!”

“Stunning, if you ask me,” Mark said. He gestured to Victoria and said, “This is Victoria. Cousin Chuck is going to marry her.”

“Ah, she must be the one involved in the crepe incident,” Tony said.

“That’s right,” Mark said.

Exasperated, Victoria asked, “Does everyone know about that?”

“Yes. Of course, but we haven’t heard all of the details,” Mark answered.

“You never will!”

“Let’s get in the car and head to the restaurant,” Tony said while gesturing to the open door of the limousine.

“Good idea. Let’s get this date on the road,” Mark said.

“This isn’t a date,” Molly said feeling like no one was listening to her.

After everyone had settled into the car, Tony asked, “Did you hear that Cousin Suzy is getting married?”

“No. I heard that her love interest was putting up quite a fight. How did she get him?” Mark asked sitting up straighter.

“Cousin Lily served her up to her boyfriend,” Tony answered with a grin.

“What?” Molly asked confused by the exchange.

“Main course or dessert?” Mark asked.

“Dessert,” Tony answered.

“I’m sure that he appreciated that,” Mark said.

Molly asked, “What are you talking about?”

Realizing that the exchange had been a little cryptic, Tony explained, “It is a standard tactic O’Toole women use to get their man. Cousin Suzy’s boyfriend was invited to the private room of a restaurant for dinner. After a full meal, Suzy’s mother wheeled her out, announced that dessert was served, and then left the room. The dessert was strategically placed on Suzy’s naked body. The guy didn’t stand a chance.”

“I imagine,” Victoria said.

“Her mother did that?” Molly asked. She couldn’t imagine a mother doing something like that.

Victoria leaned over to Molly and said, “O’Tooles don’t fight fair.”

“All’s fair in love and war,” Mark said.

“Amen to that,” Tony said with a grin. “It is a Donaldson family trait. You should have seen me going after my wife.”

Mark said, “If I recall correctly, your thirtieth anniversary is coming up.”

“That’s right,” Tony answered. “Linda has rented a dungeon up at the Hamptons for the week. We’re recreating our honeymoon. I’m looking forward to it.”

“Dungeon?” Molly asked thinking that she had misunderstood something.

“It is a strange family,” Victoria said.

“She spent a thousand dollars on a new leather outfit. I can’t wait to see her in it,” Tony said.

“She is an impressive woman in leather,” Mark said.

Tony looked puzzled for a second and then remembered where Mark has seen his wife in leather. He said, “I forgot that you catered the Leather and Lace party she held two years ago.”

“Half of the Anders family was there. Who else would cater it except for O’Tooles?” Mark said. He shook his head thinking back to that party. He commented, “It still amazes me how the Republican members of the family go for leather and the Democrat members of the family go for lace.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close