Legacy of a Legend - Cover

Legacy of a Legend

Copyright© 2022 by StarFleet Carl

Chapter 28

We left our horses outside the entry to the canyon leading to the fort. The weather was slightly bad, with a light snow falling. Annekke looked around in awe as we walked through the canyon, then at the lake and what lay beyond.

“I was a ranger, but we were never this close to Morrowind. This area is a fortress, you could defend it from attack with only a few troops.”

“Unfortunately, that’s all there are right now. I’ve talked to ... someone ... and I’m sure the vampire attacks are only going to increase, now that the dragon menace is over. And I think the civil war is going to be back on before long, too. Damn stubborn men.”

“I know about that, I was married to one for a long time.”

“Was? Not am?”

“Life in Skyrim is harsh and tough. So are the people. Verner can kiss my ass if he thinks I’ll ever share his bed again.”

“I’d rather do that, if you don’t mind.”

Annekke laughed, a pure, happy sound. “Let’s see about getting my daughter trained and we’ll see if you can do both.”

“Hold on. Ready weapons. It looks like the fort is under attack!”

There were a group of Dawnguard engaged in battle with vampires. They were holding their own, but barely. Having the three of us hit the vampires in the rear took them by surprise, and the vampires quickly died. Isran nodded his thanks, and caught his breath.

“Look at this. I should have known it was only a matter of time before they found us. It’s the price we pay for openly recruiting. We’ll have to step up our defenses. I don’t suppose you have some good news for me.”

“I have news, but I wouldn’t call it good.”

“Of course. Why would I suppose differently? Fine, tell me what you know.”

“First, unfortunately your friends from the Vigilants are all dead, including Tolan and Adalvald. I am sorry about that, I think we could have used their help. Anyway, the vampires were looking for a woman that was trapped in Dimhollow.”

“A woman? Trapped in there? That doesn’t make any sense. Who is she? More importantly, where is she?”

“She wanted to go home, so I took her to her castle.”

“I’m waiting to hear what any of this means.”

“It means they also have an Elder Scroll.”

“They what? And you didn’t stop them, didn’t secure the scroll?

“I’m just lucky I made it out of there alive.”

“So they have everything they wanted, and we’re left with nothing. By the Divines, this couldn’t get much worse. This is more than you and I can handle.”

“They have what they were seeking, but it’s not all they need, I know that. We have to do something.”

“Well, of course we do. I’m old, not stupid. We’re just going to need some help. If they’re bold enough to attack us here, then this must be bigger than I thought. I have good men here, but ... There are people I’ve met and worked with over the years. We need their skills, their talents, if we’re going to survive this. If you can find them, we might have a chance.”

“It would definitely be easier if Ulfric and Tullius were still cooperating. I doubt that I can convince them to a second truce. Very well, where can I find the people we need?”

“Right to the point, aren’t you? I like that. Not like those fools in the order. We should keep it small. Too many people, and we’ll draw unwanted attention to ourselves. I think we’ll want Sorine Jurard. Breton girl, whip smart and good with tinkering. Fascination with the Dwemer, weapons in particular. Last I knew she was out in the Reach, convinced she was about to find the biggest dwarven ruins yet.”

“You’ll also want to find Gunmar. Big brute of a Nord, hates vampires almost as much as I do. Got it into his head years back that his experience with animals would help. Trolls in particular, from what I hear. Last I knew he was out scouting Skyrim for more beasts to tame. Bring the two of them back here and we can get started with coming up with a plan.”

“All right. We’re going to grab some food and rest, then head out in the morning.”

The three of us went inside, leaving the Dawnguard watching the entrance. “My thane, how can only two people help Isran, if the three of us aren’t enough?”

“Weapons specialists. You didn’t get to see inside the vampire castle, and I’m grateful for that. I don’t think Serana could have kept them from killing the two of us, if we’d both been in there. As it was – we’ve fought a dragon together. Now imagine fighting ten of them, all at once.”

“Oh ... damn.”

“Exactly. The three of us ... we’re special. We’re trained, we’ve the experience, and we’ve the weapons and armor. Seriously, what would happen to a company of Imperial soldiers if they ran into three or four master vampires? Remember Rorikstead, how quickly they killed all of the town guards?”

“Hey, ladies, I wasn’t there for those things, but obviously you survived.”

“I know you weren’t, Annekke. But we almost didn’t, and there were only three master vampires in that combat. Inside Castle Volkihar, there was something much, much worse. I was making a point for you that this is, or has the potential to be, something we may not all survive. And there’s ... other issues as well.”

“Such as...?”

“We’ll get into those later. To quote Serana, it’s complicated. I won’t keep secrets from you, it’s just that ... here, with these people, this isn’t the place. For now, let’s get some food and rest.” I could tell that answer didn’t sit well with her, but she accepted it.

It was still dark the next morning when we left, fed and rested. We’d barely left the canyon when a figure in black, an Argonian, leaped out of the bushes ahead of me. I shouted at him, “FUS RO DAH!” and sent him flying backwards into some rocks. I heard a crack as his spine broke, and I gave him a mercy slash across his throat.

“What was that about?” Annekke asked.

“Someone doesn’t like you, Martina.” Lydia had searched the body. “Here.” She handed me a note.

I read aloud, “As instructed, you are to eliminate Martina Grizé by any means necessary. The Black Sacrament has been performed – somebody wants this poor fool dead. We’ve already received payment for the contract. Failure is not an option. It’s signed, Astrid.”

“Oh, good. Three guesses which Thalmor bitch did that?”

“You sure it wouldn’t be a Thane of Windhelm?”

“No. Those assholes are too proud to stoop this low. They’d come after me themselves. This reeks of Elenwen.”

“You have, perhaps, irritated a few people, Martina?” Annekke asked.

“Oh, definitely. And there could be other suspects, I suppose. Ulfberth, or Proventius come to mind, although that would require them to have more balls than I think they have. Maybe a deposed Jarl or two. If this is the best the Dark Brotherhood has to throw at me, they’re not a threat.”

“I ... don’t think I’ve heard someone speak with such disdain of the Dark Brotherhood before. They do have a reputation of being ruthless assassins.” Annekke was puzzled.

“Yeah. And at one point it was well deserved. Maybe at some point again, we’ll see. But for now, Annekke, as you heard we have to go to the Reach to find this Sorine Jurard. So that will definitely put us in Markarth fairly soon. We’ll have time to talk on the road. In the meantime, if I’m not mistaken, that’s Gunmar up there.”

“Really? How did we find him so easily?”

“Actually, I asked Durak the orc, back at the fort. He told me that Gunmar was last seen near Riften.” We rode up closer. “Ho, Gunmar!”

“Hold fast, strangers! I’ve tracked this damned bear for two weeks, I’ll not let it have any more victims.”

I asked, “Then why don’t we help you kill it, and when you’re done, we can talk about how you can help Isran?”

“Isran? Needing someone’s help? Never thought I’d hear that. I’m afraid he’s a few years too late. I’ve moved on. I have more important business to attend to. Besides, he can handle anything alone! He assured me so himself. What could he possibly need my help with?”

“Vampires. With an Elder Scroll.”

“Oh. That does change things, doesn’t it? But I can’t just leave this bear to prey on more innocent people. Once it’s dealt with, then perhaps I’ll see what Isran expects of me.”

“Sounds reasonable. It’s in that cave there, then?”

“Aye, that’s where it’s holed up.”

“Okay. One dead bear coming up, just give me a minute.”

I jumped from the horse, pulled my bow, and darted into the cave. I heard Annekke ask Lydia, “Does she do this often? And should we go help her?”

Lydia was cursing under her breath as she dismounted to run after me. I was already in the cave and saw the bear on the far side of the underground cavern. Gunmar, Lydia, and Annekke all came to a stop as they watched me casually draw an arrow and send it through the eye socket of the bear.

Gunmar looked at me in shock. “That ... that bear killed at least half a dozen people. And you charged in here without us. I don’t know if that makes you brave or foolish. But you’ve helped me, so I suppose the least I can do is find out what Isran wants. He’s still at that fort near Stendarr’s Beacon, I assume?”

“Yes, he said to meet him at Fort Dawnguard.”

“Of course he did. He’s been working on that place for years now. Never lets anyone in. His own little fortress. Well, I guess I’ll get to see what he’s been up to all this time. I’ll meet you there.” He turned and left the cave.

Annekke was still standing there, looking between me and the bear. Lydia just clasped her on the back. “That’s our Martina. Come on, let’s go get the claws and skin.”

I looked around the cave while they were busy, gathering some of the different fungi that were growing in here. A small shrine to Kynareth was on one wall, and I thanked the Goddess for the ease of the hunt, and for the gifts her creation provided us. I heard Lydia explaining to Annekke the ‘Our Martina’ comment and what it meant for her and for her daughter.

“Come along, ladies. We need to head for Markarth. We’ll stop in Whiterun. Between here and there, I’d be grateful if you’d fill Annekke in on everything. My history, what we’re doing, what our plans are.”

During our ride to Whiterun, we ran into a few wolves, which gave me more hides. I had stayed in front and handled everything we encountered, so Lydia could talk to Annekke. It was getting dark when we arrived home. Annekke was excited and wanted to meet everyone in the home, as well as bathe in the heated pool.

I let her enjoy herself and meet everyone while I got things ready to head out the next morning. Elise met with me at the counter. “How are things progressing?”

“To be honest, at first I had my doubts about Ysolda. I’m happy to say that her performance has proven me wrong. You should have a well stocked alchemy larder, and somehow or other, she’s managed to procure an assortment of soul gems for your enchanting needs. We’ve also had two more members of our old unit join us, fully. They’ll support you in whatever you need.”

“Really? That’s not a coincidence or anything?”

“Not hardly. They’re both Dunmer, and are related to Irileth and I. They’ll also take some of the stress off of Farquar. The toys that Adrianne has made are wonderful, but there’s nothing like the feel of warm flesh inside you when you want it.”

“That’s true. I think because of my upbringing, I ... just don’t need it nearly as much, not with nearly everyone around Mother being female. Which is also one reason I’m very attracted to, well, all of you.”

“I understand. And if you’d like, I could join you this evening.”

“Yes. I need to get Annekke out to Markarth and back to her daughter before she’ll be a full part of our family, and quite frankly I need to feel some flesh against mine.”

I could see the passion rising in her eyes. “Oh, yes, my liege.”

I led her upstairs, acknowledging the greetings of the rest of the family as I passed by them. Wyla came along, carrying a large container of water for bathing. Elise sat at the table by my bed while I took my armor off. I simply stood there as Wyla got a cloth out and washed the dirt from me.

I could see Elise looking at me with hunger in her eyes as Wyla gently lifted my breasts and washed underneath them. Elise moaned when Wyla leaned forward and started licking on my nipples. Her hand went to her center when Wyla brought the cloth down and started washing my legs and thighs while bestowing gentle kisses on my skin.

“By the Nine, Wyla, you know I like to watch,” Elise growled.

“That’s why I’m doing this to our liege, Elise. And I also know you like to touch as well. My lady, your skin is cleansed from the road, and two of your subjects are in need of your attention. Will you do us the honor?”

I could smell the arousal coming from Wyla as well. “Ladies, let’s get some rest ... after we’ve pleasured each other tonight.” The hall was filled with many moans and screams of delight that evening.

While breaking our fast the next morning, Annekke looked at me oddly. “Martina, have you studied the arts of Dibella? The reason I ask is simple – I don’t think the priestesses in Markarth know as much as you. Not after what I heard and then witnessed last eve.”

“Just put it down to lots of experience, both in watching and first hand. My Mother’s troops, the Aureals and Mazken, were mostly female. Since Mother commanded them to both protect me and to follow my orders, they didn’t treat me with the disdain they treated the normal mortal residents. And when you consider where we’re talking about, well, let’s just say that ... um ... there are even some things I won’t do.”

“Oh. I don’t think I want to know. Or maybe I do, I don’t know. Changing what we’re talking about, this is a lovely home here.”

“Glad you like it. Once we’re done, I’d like you to live here, with me, with us.”

“Compared to our hovel in Darkwater Crossing, this is a palace!”

“That’ll come later, of course. Lydia did tell you everything, right?”

“Yes, Martina. And ... when we’re done, I would be honored to live here with you, and acknowledge you as well.”

“Good.” I smiled warmly. “As you said, life in Skyrim can be harsh. There’s no shame in finding love.”

“Is that what this is? I’ve ... I don’t think I’ve ever truly felt it before now.”

Lydia interjected. “Don’t worry, Annekke. It is. As we’ve said, welcome to the family.”

“Exactly. And on that, let us get going. There are still several places we need to go even with our eventual destination being Markarth. Let us be off.”

We’d replenished our food supplies as well, so there were no concerns as the three of us mounted up and headed out. We stayed with the roads, but at the first split headed north, so we could go west along the edge of the mountains and visit Sorine before going on to Markarth. At the end of the road, we found a small barrow and a cemetery. Some skeletons started towards us, apparently guardians, but were quickly dispatched by arrows from horseback.

We started heading west, along the base of the mountains. There was a house ahead, and since this was an isolated home, I thought it deserved investigation. I opened the door, which was unlocked, and said, “Hello, may we trouble you for some water?”

Apparently the owner was involved in something he didn’t want to talk about, as he immediately cast a lightning bolt at me. I didn’t appreciate that in the least, so even though we were indoors, I used Unrelenting Force on him. That flung him into the wall beside an arcane enchanter. Lydia charged him with her sword while Annekke shot him with arrows.

“Well, that was rude of him.” I cast a quick healing upon myself, just to deal with the shock issue. “Look around, see if you can find any reason he acted that way.” We didn’t find anything, other than he was a Dunmer mage, who are known to be eccentric. There was a commotion outside and we rushed out, ready for battle.

It was a good thing we were ready, a green dragon was attacking our horses. Unfortunately, rather successfully. Two of them were already dead. The dragon was concentrating on the third, which was a fatal mistake for him. Three experts with bows, each of us with enchanted jewelry that enhanced our skills, started firing as rapidly as possible. The dragon started to lift off, to escape us, and I used Dragonrend to ground him. I could hear him scream when he realized that his easy meal of horse and people was going to be a fatal mistake for him.

His body fell to the ground, lifeless, and I absorbed his soul as normal. Annekke watched as I did that, she’d never seen it before. “Oh, my. That’s why you’re called the Dragonborn, isn’t it? I mean, I’ve heard the legends and everything, but still...”

“Yes, it is. Recover our arrows, gather up his bone and scale. Instead of riding, we now have a pack horse, and a long way to go on foot.”

“You can ride, Martina. We’ll walk it.”

“Not hardly. We were getting soft from all the carriage rides and horseback, anyway.” I could tell Lydia wanted to argue with me, but also realized that it would be futile. They simply lined up behind me as I started walking, with the horse following Lydia. We reached the nearby stream and started following it. A couple of mud crabs took umbrage to our passing. They died quickly. We passed a giant camp, and things started going downhill from there.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close