Stellar Drift - Cover

Stellar Drift

Copyright© 2022 by Rogue_Aquarian

Chapter 9

Jack stepped into the ready room and noted Proculus and Lucinia were already present. Proculus was seated at the front of the room in the middle row. Lucinia was at her desk in the far front corner, facing the room. Zakia and Delilah were bringing up a large cylinder of coffee and snacks. Kazlaena however, was nowhere to be seen.

“Your little protégé is not with you?” Proculus raised a brow.

“No, thought she’d be here already.” Jack replied.

“You’re supposed to be looking after her, getting her squared away and motivating her when she loses sight of herself.”

“Understood.” Jack held in an outburst and calmly spoke over his radio “Kazlaena, where are you? Over.”

“Use her proper designation.” Proculus lowered his brow and Jack felt his own eyebrow twitch in irritation.

“Cadet Starseeker, you are needed in the ready room, how copy? Over.”

“Sa ... sorry Jack, I spilled on my sirt, be right sere, um, over.” Came the reply.

“Shirt happens.” Jack said to himself and took a seat in the second row, furthest from the door.

“Cadet Starseeker, you are required to use proper designation when active on comms, understood, over?” Proculus barked into the radio.

“Sorry, First officer, I understand, over.”

Jack felt the glaring watch of Proculus but kept his eyes on what he was doing as he pulled out a small data device from a case and set it on the desk in front of him. Lucinia glanced at them both with narrowed eyes. Kejeh’s arrival seemed to break the tension in the room as Kejeh took a seat beside Proculus.

“Good morning, Officer Kindbright.” Proculus said to Kejeh.

“Good morning to you too, First Officer. “ Kejeh replied.

They gave each other a nod and Kejeh said good morning to the Captain, before giving Jack a nod.

Zakia and Delilah stepped in with the coffee and a platter of sugary pastries, setting them down on the center desk of the room and took their seats in the third row, behind Jack.

Hurry Kaz! Jack thought as everyone made their way to the snack table. She arrived just as everyone was taking their seats and hurried over to the desk beside Jack.

“Sa close one.” She gave him a grin and he smiled.

“Too close. Did you dribble on your shirt or something?” He joked.

“Erm, no.” She exposed her teeth a little and pulled her lower lip in before looking at him googly eyed. “I spilled sa juice is all.” Then she looked at Proculus carefully before whispering to Jack, “Did not want to get in sa trouble.”

“Yeah, good call.” He leaned back in his chair and yawned.

Kazlaena looked back over to Proculus and let out a sigh of relief as she saw him looking blankly to Lucinia at the front of the room.

Not paying attention to me, good. She looked back to Jack and whispered, “Your sirt, ‘ow did you get a clean one?” She had one of her hair bead strands in her hand, rolling it between her fingers.

“Pri.” Jack whispered back.

“Sat’s good. Sankfully ‘ers fit.” Kazlaena let out a relieved breath.

“Got lucky there, I did.” Jack smiled, tapping at her shoulder.

She poked back at his waist, and he grasped one of her ears, folding it out on itself and leaving her looking up at him with a jaw open in shock.

“Your ear looks kinda like a butt hole.” He spoke.

She stood up swiftly and poked his ear with the end of her moist nose, giving a snort as he wrapped an arm around her and tickled at her sides.

“Ah, stop sat.” She laughed and drew the attention of the room.

“You two know this is an officers meeting, right?” Lucinia spoke politely.

“Just straightening out a delinquent, Captain.” Jack replied, seeing Proculus giving them both an icy stare.

“Not on our time,” Proculus remarked. “You want to play jungle gym, you do it on your down time.”

“Intense,” Jack remarked. “I didn’t even know we had a jungle gym.”

“We do not...” Proculus seemed about to continue but Lucinia stopped him.

“Alright, Officers...” Lucinia stood at the front of the room, facing them. “ ... we have several points on the bulletin today. We will start with Officer Kindbright and safety.” She motioned to Kejeh who stood up and took her place at the front.

“Safety on this vessel is never to be taken lightly.” Kejeh stated firmly. “We all know that, but I need to point out our recent fire foamer incident. No other crew members tried to stop it or even report it to the officers. Those fire foamers are there to stop fire from spreading. They are there to save the ship, not for entertainment. The offenders were given cleaning duty for fourteen days. This behavior will not be tolerated.” They gave Jack a momentary look and he stopped mid chew on his pastry. “Moving on to the lifeboats. The weekly service inspection has been completed and all vessels are in the clear. E deck aft boat will need a more extensive service within the next thirty days, however.” Kejeh said to Lucinia, who nodded her understanding.

“We will be scheduling a port of call after our contract is fulfilled.” Lucinia said to the room in general, then told Kejeh. “I’ll make sure the boat is properly serviced at port.”

“With that I will wrap up the safety brief by reminding everyone to check personal equipment in their rooms. Make sure temporary void suits are not punctured, portable O2 masks are functioning and are not leaking. Also check manual door cranks are functioning, should we ever lose vessel wide power. Safety is all our responsibility, if you see something unsafe, speak up. Make it safe. Always the five points of safety...” Kejeh looked at Jack “ ... what is the first point, Officer Coralane?”

“Awareness of your surroundings.” Jack replied quickly, relieved he could remember.

“Good, second point, Chief Mzuzi?”

Zakia swallowed the coffee in her mouth and replied. “Calculation of risk.”

“Third one, Cadet Starseeker?”

“Umm...” Kazlaena thought for a moment. Oh no, I can’t remember ... oh wait “ ... work on, er, sa risks?”

“Yes.” Kejeh nodded. “Remember, you can find the five points on the bulletin boards at the entrance to each stairwell and on C deck by the common room.” They saw Kazlaena nod attentively and turned to Delilah. “Fourth point, Chief Steward?”

“Check your PPE.” Delilah answered.

“Good. Make sure anything you use to protect yourself will do the job. Lastly, know your escape route should everything else fail. Take safety seriously. If you get hurt out here in the void, you could expire before we can make port. That is all I have for safety. Are there any questions?”

“Has there been any changes to firefighting or decompression procedures since I was last on board?” Jack asked.

“No policy changes have been carried out.” Kejeh replied and Jack nodded in understanding.

“Alright, First Officer, you have the floor.” Lucinia said as Kejeh returned to their seat, taking a long drink from the water tank on their back.

Proculus stood up and took Kejeh’s place at the front of the room.

“Alright, deck watches will return to normal timetable today. D-17 and Captain Scaro have been filling in the second officer watch posts. The posts have been somewhat mixed up, but that will be rectified today. Navigational watches are as follows. 00:00 to 04:00 will be Officer Coralane. 04:00 to 08:00 will be myself, 08:00 to 12:00 will be Officer Kindbright. 12:00 to 16:00 Officer Coralane, 16:00 to 20:00 myself, 20:00 to 00:00 Officer Kindbright. Watch in port is as follows. 00:00 to 08:00 will be Officer Coralane, 08:00 to 17:00 will be myself and 17:00 to 00:00 will be Officer Kindbright. That will give you time to carry out your daily safety inspections, Officer Kindbright.” Proculus said to Kejeh, and they nodded in agreement. “D-17 will cover watch for everyone’s days off or as a replacement if needed. All of you with me so far?” Everyone nodded.

Proculus looked at Kazlaena, causing an instant increase in her anxiety.

“Cadet Starseeker, you will be stepping in to learn from Officer Coralane for the next sixty days in nav training and the duties of a second officer. You will report to Officer Coralane during his watch timings, understood?” She nodded. “You can make that work, correct?” He asked Jack.

“I can.” Jack confirmed and noticed Kazlaena giving him a cheerful look and gave her a wink in return.

“The bridge is not a jungle gym, or a place to get into antics. You two have a rep for getting into all kinds of trouble. I know you will not stop, but disciplinary action will be taken accordingly, understood?”

Jack nodded, valiantly trying to keep a straight face and Kazlaena meekly replied. “Understood First Officer.”

“As Officer Kindbright has already stressed, safety and following proper procedures while on the ship are absolute and there is zero tolerance for failure to carry out a task in the most secure manner possible. Department heads, you will be expected to continue to carry out meetings with your crew every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I expect to see post meeting debriefs in my inbox by end of day on all days a meeting is carried out. That covers current operational changes. Are there any questions?” No-one spoke up and Proculus returned to his seat beside Kejeh.

“Chief Engineer,” Lucinia looked at Zakia, “You have the floor.”

Zakia nodded and moved to the front of the room.

“Ok, nothing extensive to discuss this meeting.” Zakia said as she stood at the front of the room and faced the crew. “Aft cargo hold troubleshooting is still ongoing, doors are still opening unexpectedly, lights flicker and fail, the usual bizarre happenstance that makes the aft hold mysterious and uncomfortable.”

“Absolutely no idea what could be causing the issues?” Proculus inquired sharply. “Even after all this time?”

“I’ve had the entire engineering team go over the hold, First Officer.” Zakia replied, a bit sharply. “We’ve been unable to find anything faulty that would cause these issues.”

“It’s a sing.” Kazlaena said suddenly, sinking in her chair as she felt the attention of the entire room on her. “It’s somesing strange.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close