Stellar Drift
Chapter 12

Copyright© 2022 by Rogue_Aquarian

Pri Zoak

Timestamp: 5 / 5 / 2293
South Estiv, Capital city of Sinaraq Three
Tourist district
[Three years ago]

Pri read the address in the message on her commpad again and raised a thick, fuzzy brow.

“Employment meeting at pub?” She frowned. “Odd choice for interview location...” She set her commpad down on the desk of her hotel room and went to get ready.

She brushed the feathers that crowned her head and off her elbows, then secured her long tail in a loop, brushing clean the feathers at the end. Next, she dressed in a light brown, buttoned bush shirt and rolled up the sleeves. She pulled on black pants and secured a brown belt in the loops, going over the bridge of her tail to hold up the pants tight to the bottom of the tail. She pulled on dark grey socks that had no front toe coverage as her clawed toe ends would ruin the socks as she walked about. She set a couple of mints in her long mouth and rolled them around a few times. She then went to the entrance to don her large, composite toed, black, hiking style boots, tucked her commpad away in a pocket and held her datapad under one arm. She exited the hotel and headed down the street, towards the pub in question. As she passed other races, she noticed their glances and a variety of looks. Looks that most reptilian races were subjected to, some concerned, others distrustful or even contemptuous. Some races were appealing over a wide spectrum, be it looks, voice, or mannerisms. Praeminians, though often taken advantage of due to their passive and submissive behavior, were an example of a race in higher regard. Most avian races were also viewed in a higher regard. They had the looks and the voices to put them towards the top of the desired list from a social standpoint, even if some of them had rotten cores. Reptilians, on the other hand, were seen as cold, calculating, often unsociable, hard to read or determine, alien among aliens. As a result, they rested near the bottom of the social ladder. Being dismissed from certain jobs or overlooked for other professions was not uncommon. There were many days Pri regretted her departure from Sikarran space to join this wider body, this League and all it’s supposed wisdom and co-operation. So far it had been quite disappointing to her as she looked upon it and payed attention to how things really were.

“A Sezar mommy. Look, a Sezar...” A Kakrin child pointed at Pri.

“Yes child, a Sezar. Don’t provoke it, come now...” Pri watched the mother hurry off with her child, catching the last bit of convo before they rounded a corner. “Is that the one that will eat me if I don’t eat all my dinner?”

“No ... maybe...” The mother replied.

Is there some joke I do not understand? Why would I eat a Kakrin? Is this always how Sezars are seen? Monsters that will harm people? They don’t even know me and yet they cast judgement. Don’t know who I am or what I’ve done ... ah! Pri let out a huff that came out as a bit of a snort. I don’t need to justify myself to them...

Her thoughts were interrupted when she caught sight of a Terran looking at her, after hearing her snort. He gave her a wider berth and kept his eyes on her, almost with a tenseness that spoke of preparation for an aggressive action.

Was it a mistake to leave home? Leave Sikarra? She saw a female Lakkasian approaching, identifiable by the jagged row of fins cresting her head. Lakkasians were reptilian, shorter than her, with soft scaly skin and a finned tail that stopped just above the ground. Males had a beard fin, head crest and large horns. Females had a jagged row of fins off their heads and down their backs, with small horns and both genders had finned ears. As the Lakkasian approached, she gave Pri a courteous physical greeting, nodding her head several times.

“Warm den, Sikarran.” The Lakkasian said as they passed.

“Honored intentions to you, Lakkasian.” Pri held her hands together in front of her chest momentarily.

At least other reptilian races don’t fear or look upon me with mixed intent. Pri lowered her head for a moment as she walked, realizing her true desires and intentions in life may be far harder to obtain than expected. She was looking for employment with a commercial ship for now, but her real desires were far more artistic. Something she feared would not be taken seriously because of the attributes of her physiology. Something she would have to fight even more to be accepted for, just because she was a reptilian race.

She saw the entrance to the pub and noticed it was frequented heavily by herbivorous races. There was a line outside already, for guests waiting to enter, comprised mostly of Praeminians, Setsolei, Vissaren and several other races. Pri joined the line, holding her datapad under her left arm, standing behind a Setsolei couple. Setsolei were ungulates, somewhat like Praeminians. The couple in front of Pri, male and female, had fur, striped on the male, dotted on the female. The coloration varied with the male, a mix of black and cream, while the female was light brown with white dots. They both had short manes that vanished down their backs, behind clothing. The male had small branching antlers while the female had even smaller tines, both located between the manes and large ears. They had feline-like tails that ended in a tuft and they walked on cloven hooves. Pri saw them look over their shoulders at her for a moment, then the male gave her a bit of a nod, then they both returned to their conversation. A Vissaran joined the line behind her, giving her a bit of a blank stare before focusing on his commpad. They were a fur covered race, possessing some distinct physical traits. They had a long snout, with a pair of fin like frills on their heads and large canid ears. Vissaren were taller than her by about a head height, with finned tails similar in length to hers. This Vissaren had light brown and cream-colored fur where it was exposed, covered largely by his digiweave grey shirt and pants.

Why did they choose the busiest time of day at such a busy place for an interview? Pri looked around uncomfortably. Warning bells were already going off, but she tried to keep them in check. Perhaps this is how they felt best, meeting with a Sezar? We don’t harm our allies. I just want a peaceful life. I’m through with war and aggression. Why must I wear this assumption that I’m dangerous or unpredictable? Is this the true outcome of Sezar training that teaches us to be stern and emotionless when dealing with outsiders?

As she waited and slowly moved up the line, she could feel uncomfortable glances on her. Quick looks that led to quick whispers and brief nods or other gestures. She could faintly hear some of the whispers, some were louder than they thought, or close enough for her exceptional hearing. Whispers that questioned why she was there, at a primarily herbivorous pub. Remarks about how she might eat them, so watch out!

Pri kept a straight face all the way to the usher’s desk, where she was directed to a table at the far end of the pub. Walking past the glances and gawks of many patrons made her discomfort grow even more. She saw that she was the only reptilian inside. On top of that, only the Terran and Cordivain she was meant to meet were not purely herbivorous guests. Even the staff were made up of herbivorous races, primarily Praeminians.

“Sezar.” The Terran said without standing, lowering his shades for a moment to reveal impartial brown eyes.

He was stocky, wearing a cap and had a light jacket on, immediately displeasing Pri. Sezars had a culture built on respectful conduct, proper dress and deportment. Wearing shades indoors with a sloppy hat and an open wind coat showed little in dress expectation.

“Yes, Yes, greetings.” The Cordivain, a female of a rodent like race, said as she pulled dataspecs off her eyes and looked Pri over. “You must be Pri yes? Pri Zoak?”

“Correct,” Pri nodded. “May I take seat?”

“No,” the Terran shook his head, making Pri lower a brow.

“For what intent must I stand?”

“This is just an interview. These seats are saved for my crew who are on the way. Would be rude to make them wait, you know. They’ll be here any minute now.” The Terran grinned.

“Understood.” Pri held back any remarks. This is inappropriate and unprofessional on many levels. I should walk away from this... “Here is required information. Understanding was your request for medical trained personnel?”

“Yep,” The Terran nodded as he looked over her datapad. “You don’t eat the dead, do you?” He then grinned.

“Comment is ill received.” Pri glared at him. “By what manner do you insult me so?”

“A bad joke.” The Terran looked at the Cordivain and Pri caught an odd expression exchange between them.

Are they doing this deliberately? Does he really care to see my credentials? Should I have gone to Kordessa Station instead?

“Well, you have a high level of training in the field. Does that translate well to shipboard practice?”

Pri pointed to her datapad. “Third level certification. Qualification is not comparable to doctorate, but beyond requirements of commercial vessel.”

“Ok.” The Terran bit his lip and stared blankly for a few moments at her datapad, giving her the impression that he was making her stand in silence on purpose.

He’s trying to show authority over me. Doing it in this room of gentle spoken races to flex his ego. Pri resisted every urge to walk out but the need to be employed kept her in place as she considered how few lucs she had left in her account.

“Alright.” The Terran handed her datapad back. “If I hire you, will there be issues with any races on board?”

“No.”

“I’ve heard Sezar females can become aggressive to other females if they desire someone. Is that true?”

“That is poorly spoken.” Pri held the datapad across her chest with both arms. Careful, do not show emotion. He will seize upon it. She tucked the datapad under one arm. “By what presumption does one assume Sezars are interested in anotherr race? Only another Sezar could bear acceptable match in conduct and action.”

“Oh!” The Terran leaned back, laughing awkwardly, as if it was forced.

“Feisty one, yeah?” The Cordivain looked at him.

“Well, if you work for me, you’ll do well to keep a level head, right?”

“Terms to be discussed.” Pri regarded him sternly. “What is monthly pay?”

“We can disc-”

“Negative,” Pri cut him off, knowing by now, this was not a job opportunity she wished to pursue. “Reveal rate or no further exchange of word is needed.”

“Then we are done.” The Terran remarked as two other members of his crew took the empty seats and looked up at Pri.

“Are you the waitress?” One asked.

“A round of your best ale, would ya.” The other didn’t wait for a response.

Pri caught sight of the smirk on the Terran captain’s face and felt a sharp jolt of anger at the situation. Bury this! Do not overreact. Walk away ... She went up to the counter and hailed the bartender. A moment later she approached the table with four shots. The Terran and his crew eyed them expectantly, if a little surprised.

“Asked for ale though.”

“No matter. I purchased libations, choice was mine.” Pri replied.

“Ok...”

“Now...” Pri took the first shot and swatted away the Terran’s hand when he tried to get one. “To all your poor health,” She downed the first one. “May your families know dishonor for your conduct today,” She downed the second one. “May you find misfortune in your future,” She downed the third one. “May you...” She eyed the last glass. “ ... understand and feel the poor spirit you have chosen to cast upon another this day as it is visited upon you in equal manner.” She downed the last glass and turned to leave.

“Yo, you left your glasses.” The Terran remarked with a sour frown.

“Correct,” Pri replied as she headed for the door. “If you have stones enough to alter situation, see it made so.”

“The fuck?” One of the other crew remarked.

“Ah, whatever, fuckin reptile fuck.” She heard behind her but kept a straight face until she left the pub.

Outwardly, she projected a calm demeanor, but inwardly she felt the remarks cut her on a deeper level.

Pri set her datapad down on the nightstand and lay on the bed, looking up at the ceiling. Alone, she allowed her emotions to surface, grabbing hold of a pillow to clench to her chest. Those assholes did all of that on purpose. They had no plan to hire me. They were just looking for a ‘story’ they could pass around later about the uncomfortable Sezar. The useless reptile that thought she had a chance at a job. Did I make a mistake? Am I really a fool? Is father right?

Her commpad chimed and she looked at the screen, seeing a message from her sister, Teek Zoak.

‘We need to speak’

‘Sister, about what?’ Pri sent back.

A couple of minutes later a message came back. ‘You waste time and life with foolish pursuit. Sikarra is ever in danger, and you play in colored pen and slime’

‘I draw and paint, sister. It stands as outlet for emotion, feeling, expression. Must you choose always not to understand?’

Again, a couple of minutes passed, owing to the messages need to bounce through several superluminal comm satellites over many, many light years between recipients.

‘I cannot understand choice. I prefer not to. You bring mark of ineptitude to Zoak clan, despite bearing such prestigious title as ‘Spear of Aliquar’. I only wish you to abandon foolishness for a return to honor. The Zoak clan does not stand quietly in the presence of others, friend or foe. Our deeds are the envy of all allies, the herald of pain and suffering for our enemies. You have a duty to-’ Pri closed the message, not choosing to read further.

She set the commpad down and took a hold of the pillow again, rolling onto her stomach with the pillow under her chest, clenching it tightly. Muted rays of sunlight cast by the setting sun, shone through the window as she looked at the floor. Her mind fell on the events of the day in intricate detail, thinking of each interaction she had. She closed her eyes and blinked away an unending trickle of tears.

The following morning, Pri headed out to a park just before the second sunrise of Sinaraq Three. As a binary star system, the orange primary star arose on daybreak. The blue-purple hued second star arose as a smaller point of light about two hours later. This second sunrise was varied, as it depended on the smaller stars orbit in relation to its parent. In the height of summer on this world however, it arose and cast dark blue rays in the atmosphere for about an hour before the brightness of the day overtook the spectacle. A few others were up, heading to see the sight, or carrying out their daily business. Pri had much the same interactions with them as she had endured the day before. She passed a pair of Lakkasians with cordial interaction, others however, always kept a careful eye or distance. She even caught sight of a pair of Praeminians as they saw her, then crossed the street to avoid passing her directly. Despite having endured months of this as she tried to settle into a new life in the wider League, those little cuts always left their mark.

Pri found a small park, overlooking a shallow bay on the coast. She saw a Terran male seated on a bench and slowed her pace, not sure if she wanted to be here. He was the only other one around for a bit of a distance, but to try to avoid him completely would mean getting close to others seated or standing nearby. As she took a seat on the next bench, she saw he was asleep, looking like he had a wild or rough night. Did he come for this? Is he going to miss the sunrise? Should I awaken him? She became worried he might get startled if a Sezar touched him but thought better of it.

“Hey,” She called over to him, without response.

She stood up and walked over to him, gently bumping his shoulder. “Qersa, was intent to catch spectacle of sunrise?” She saw him stir.

“Uh, ah, huh?” He sat up, rubbing his eyes and blinking away a heavy feeling in his eyelids. “Oh, hey Sezar.” He looked at her for a moment. “I fell asleep, didn’t I?”

“Correct.” Pri nodded.

“Ah, well, thanks for waking me up.” He sat himself up and reached for a pack of cigarettes. “Do you mind if I smoke?”

“Habit is foul but do as you must.”

“Thanks.” He grinned. “Foul habit offers momentary respite. Nothing like a wild night to unmotivate the morning. Thought I’d catch the second rise. You too I imagine?”

“Intent was the same.” Pri nodded.

“Well, it’s started. You want to sit down?” He shuffled over so she had ample room.

“You, accept my company?”

“Why wouldn’t I?”

“I am...” She trailed off. Does he want me to say it out loud? Is this another cruel Terran game?

“I do acccept, yeah.” He said aster seeing her pause and hesitation. “I’m Jack. My current uh, state is not one I make a habit of.” He rubbed his temples for a moment to chase away the dull headache. “I don’t even like alcohol, but, you know, sometimes...” He slid back in a relaxed position and closed his eyes for a moment.

“My name is Pri.” She said as she sat down. “You feel no discomfort at my presence?”

“Why would I? Because you’re reptilian?” He looked at her. “Has it been hard here?” She nodded. “People avoiding you because you’re reptilian? Sezar for that matter?” She nodded again. “There are some, well, many that have instincts in their biology that make them concerned around predator species. Don’t take the actions of prey species too hard. Other predator species, well, we seem to fuck around with each other as much as anyone. Don’t take this as any ill intent, but some of the actions of reptilians are just, hard for some to understand.”

“I do not intend harm,” Pri said. Yet I’m always seen as though I might bring harm.

“I get that.” Jack nodded. “It’s going to take time for some races, even though they know better.”

“I had a job interview yesterday.” Pri started, not knowing why. “They asked me to come to pub filled with herbivores. The looks cast upon me, the feeling I endured. It was all in jest, a cruel mockery of my physical form.” Why am I saying this? Why am I telling him this embarrassing situation, this humiliation I went through? He may seize upon it and...

“Yeah? Sorry you had to go through that. I can’t imagine what it must be like. I see the derogatory actions some take towards reptilians. I see the unintentional actions many prey species take that can’t be well received by reptilians either. Sometimes people don’t realize they cause offense, sometimes they revel in it.”

“Who would seek joy in such actions?” Pri asked, a bit disgusted at the thought.

“Some get taught it and carry it on. They can choose to be better, but that’s on them. Some get a perverse joy out of it for whatever a fuck reason. I hope their own personal hell is filled with the torment they like to see on others, visited back on them. Maybe it’s a cry for attention, but that’s not the way to do it. Some are just weak inside, too cowardly to stand tall so they enjoy seeing others experience pain and suffering. I think they feel better when they see someone else hurt. Those people, be it any race they come from, concern me.” Jack looked up at the blue rays in the sky.

“Is there fault in desire to be seen as person?” Pri looked at him so intently that it caught him a little off guard. Oh! Am I scaring him? Did that come off wrong? Keep these emotions under control! That is the Sezar way, not this, not these tears...

“Not at all,” Jack replied. “You uh, ok?”

What? What do I say? Or do? Pri did her best to push her feelings down but it began to rock her core and she found herself welling in the eyes. She wanted to get up and walk away from this. Walk away or you’ll just embarrass yourself further...

“Hey. I can see something’s heavy on your mind. I see the pain in your face and the way you clench your teeth and hands.” Jack said. “I’ve known a few Sikarrans. Hell, I bled in the field of battle with an Antar. I know you’re taught to keep those emotions buried, flawed as I feel that notion is. However, to see you in this state, I feel it’s gotta be pretty significant to bring you to this.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close