Stellar Drift - Cover

Stellar Drift

Copyright© 2022 by Rogue_Aquarian

Chapter 13

Interstellar space, Fleet networked with The Rockpig, En route to the Payum system

Timestamp: 7 / 5 / 2296

13:30 Sol standard time [Present day]

Jack passed through the door to D deck and headed for his room when he caught sight of Pri exiting her quarters down the hall. She was in black sportswear with a towel over her shoulder and a water canteen in her hand. She heard Jack moving down the hall and waved, heading towards him as he returned the gesture.

“You look a lot better.” Jack said when they reached each other, noting that she looked her usual well-trimmed and focused self.

“Apologies for last appearance, Jack. Alcohol had ruthless grasp on senses and appearance.”

“Recovered then, huh?”

“Stand ready for duty.” Pri gave a nod. “Had desired better state of deportment upon your return. Again, Apologies.”

“Hey,” Jack gave her a bit of a serious look. “I was led to believe it was a bit of a drinking game with you and Saito. Is that all there was?”

She looked at him hesitantly, before shaking her head.

“Another dream?” He asked.

“Night before,” Pri replied. “Memories of tragic dream clung with sharpened claws to mind. Fell to bottle far harder than intended. Actions were, are, regrettable. I bear concern I may condemn myself...” She trailed off when he held up both hands.

“We’ll work on it together, Pri.” Jack was caught off guard when she suddenly slipped in and embraced him.

He felt her tightened grip and had a sense she was releasing built up emotions, using his contact as a form of catharsis. He held on to her as tight as he felt was needed, to make sure she got the message he was here. After a moment, he played with the feathers at the back of her head, something she always found comical, but welcome.

“The Coralane remembers to tease and jest with valued feathers?”

“Always will, Doodle. Come to me before the bottle, yeah?”

“I will.” Pri let out a chirpy noise that Jack knew was an expression of affirmation.

“Thanks for looking after little sprocket while I was away.” Jack said softly.

“Would you expect any less?” Pri patted his back. “To see her flourish is something I share in desire. I have borne unwelcome experience when those around me cast doubt and cry foul of my decisions. I do not wish that upon her, even if primary source of dissatisfaction is just one First Officer. One foul insight from singular individual can cause much malaise if no support is to be found.”

“I’m here now,” Jack replied. “I usually draw his ire. With that, he should ease up on the little one.”

“You help her, you help me, you offer aid and insight to others...” Pri hesitated for a moment. “Who stands to help you?”

“Seeing all of you doing well is plenty good enough,” Jack patted her back and they separated. “I’ve been lucky enough to find some good friends to help me if or when needed.” He bumped her chest a couple of times with his fist.

She looked at him with a warm expression and ran her hand over the feathers on her head a few times.

Jack looked over her towel and water bottle. “Heading up for a workout?”

“Affirmative.” Pri took the towel off her shoulder, rolled it and tucked it under her arm. “Would like to see you acquire same intent.”

“Eh,” Jack was a little reluctant, leaning towards a lazy desire but he yielded as he saw Pri staring hopefully.

“Body in motion yields favorable fitness.” She remarked.

“Yeah, yeah. I was just trying to be lazy.”

“Opportunity to further pursue reunion has presented itself.” Pri said as they both stepped up to Jack’s quarters. “Given such little time to unite due to varied shifts.”

“Ok, I understand,” Jack nodded and entered his quarters. “You convinced me. I’ll be right out. On second thought, come here a sec.”

Pri stepped into his quarters a bit reluctantly, looking over the walls first with concern, then surprise. “You really cleared all?” She asked. “Action was carried out with unexpected swiftness.”

“Just the ones without headlines. There’s a fat stack of papers here.” He opened the drawer to his desk, and she saw all the printed pictures of him and his concert mishap.

Jack pointed over the door, and she saw all the ones with headlines, causing her to burst out laughing.

“So, I got a few things for a few people. You are one of those people.” Jack reached into his locker and pulled a box off the top shelf. “I know some of these are hard to find, so, here...” He handed her the box and she took it, if a bit hesitantly.

“Jack...” She whispered. “Gifts are not required.”

“No, but I got you one all the same.”

She took the lid off the box and looked over the contents, casting him a heartwarming grin a moment later. Pri sat on his bed, pulling out a pack of high-grade drawing pencils. Underneath that was a pack of colored pencils, about fifteen bottles of her most used paints and some drawing tools. She stood up and embraced him for the second time in near as many minutes.

“Hey, go drop that off, eh?” Jack gave her a wink. “Let me get changed so we can go up level and get sweaty.”

She grinned and walked away with some enthusiasm.

Jack exited his room a couple minutes later in suitable workout attire. He wore a t-shirt and a pair of grey shorts that showed off his untanned, hairy legs, which bore several marks and scars from combat wounds. Pri was leaning against the wall across from his door, waiting patiently.

“Legs leave something to be desired.” She commented. “Color does not match arms.”

“Easy for you to say with a uniform light fuzz over most of your body,” Jack ran the back of his hand over her forearm, catching her grin.

“‘Light fuzz’ does require care and attention. Perhaps an afternoon tan would rectify corrupted leg coloring?”

Before she could react, he tapped her exposed stomach with his own towel, making her lean in reflexively enough to get her in a headlock.

“You’re not as fast as I remember,” Jack humored.

“Is that so?” Pri grinned and freed her hands of her workout gear, then used one arm to hold his waist while the other sought to throw one of his legs off balance.

Jack pressed against the wall to try to keep himself from slipping over, knowing she could arrest his fall if he did. He would be at her mercy then, giving up what he hoped was the upper hand. As they started laughing amidst their wrestling, they heard someone heading down the stairwell.

“Oh shit, danger close, danger close.” Jack said in a forced hush as he released her, and she steadied him.

She swiftly picked up her towel and water bottle just as the door opened and Proculus entered.

“I always do enjoy a good workout,” Jack replied casually.

“Agreed,” Pri nodded as Proculus eyed them suspiciously, then headed down the hall without a word.

“Fucken,” Jack gave her a concerned look as she fought back laughter, bearing a suppressed grin. “C’mon, we better get the fuck outta here before he goes detective, wondering why we’re outta breath ‘before’ our workout.”

“Idea may be above IQ of some.” Pri remarked and Jack covered her mouth.

“Shh, the walls have ears too.”

“Eardors?” Pri said, muffled.

“Yeah, Andor ears.”

“Definitely above that IQ.” Pri replied.

“Watch out or he’ll rattletale on ya.”

“That one seeks to drive nose beyond event horizon of First Officers rear.” Pri remarked, causing Jack to lean forward with laughter.

Jack opened the door to the stairwell and allowed Pri to pass through first, following her up level to C deck and the fitness room. Inside, along the right wall, were a variety of fitness machines. The left wall had hooks and a couple of benches near the front of the room. There was an open area for aerobic or calisthenic activities in the center. In the back was a change room with a small lavatory and shower, as well as a storage room full of equipment.

“Efficient way to counter negative effects of timber sucking habit.” Pri gave him a bit of a grin as she set her gear down and began stretching out.

“Suppose so,” Jack failed to hide his lack of enthusiasm for the current activity.

“Growing disinterested in maintaining physical condition?” Pri paused in her stretching for a moment.

“Eh, I kinda like to exercise only when I have to.”

“Present moment held in contempt?” Her large eyes rested on him with a bit of concern.

“No, it’s good.” Jack started stretching out his limbs. “Probably a good thing you got me to join you. I should be doing better, doing more to keep in shape.”

“No offense intended,” Pri said as she stepped up onto the treadmill. “Just desire longevity and health in treasured friends. In most treasured friend.” She closed her eyes a little as she grinned.

“I get where you’re going, Pri,” Jack replied kindly. “I may have little enthusiasm for the activity, but your intentions are appreciated.”

Jack took the treadmill beside her and began at a slow walk, building to a light jog after ten minutes. By then Pri was in a sprint that she maintained well after he tapped out and sat down to catch his breath. As he recovered, she slowly wound down to a fast walk before stepping off to recover herself.

“Good burn.” He remarked.

“Much so.” Pri sat down beside him with her tail resting over the bench on the opposite side.

They sat there in silence for a few moments before Jack noted a bit of a peculiar shift in her posture. She leaned forward and rested her head in her hands, elbows resting on her knees. She was heavy in thought, as if her mind was at a boiling point of memories and states.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close