Stellar Drift - Cover

Stellar Drift

Copyright© 2022 by Rogue_Aquarian

Chapter 15

Valeria’s quarters aboard the Rockpig were bigger than Lucinia’s, but not by a large margin. By the door there was a coat rack and a place to store footwear. To the left the quarters opened into a large common area with a massive vidscreen, a pair of couches and a recliner that all sat semi-circular to the vidscreen. Valeria had a plexiglass shelving unit along the outer wall of the common area, full of ornaments, rock geodes, digital photos and trinkets. Along the right wall there was a galley kitchen, cupboards, a pantry and a breakfast table with a couple of chairs. One of the chairs was full of paperwork and half slid under the table. Beyond the kitchen/common area was a door that led into Valeria’s sleeping quarters with its own attached restroom and walk-in closet.

“Are you ‘appy you came over?” Kazlaena asked Pri and saw her nod.

“Gratitude for invitation.” Pri smiled.

“Um, I always ‘esitated wis you cause I wasn’t sure you’d always want to do sis stuff. I know you like your alone time. I just don’t like to sink you enjoy being alone. I, sorry if sat’s um...”

“No need for concerned thought.” Pri began to remove her boots while Kazlaena slipped out of her shoes and hung her coat up.

She took Pri’s coat and set it on the coat rack, then took her backpack and brought it into the common area. Pri watched as Kazlaena seemed to know her way around the galley kitchen, finding a couple of plastic bowls and a couple of platters for all the snacks. Valeria’s stash was on the counter and Kazlaena brought that over too, looking over the sheer number of junk food items they had at their disposal.

“Um, does Pri eat sa junk food?” Kazlaena asked as she opened a bag of chips.

“Current offering is not preferred indulgence.” Pri said as she looked over a box of cookies.

“Um, ‘ave you ‘ad many of sese sings?”

“No.” Pri shook her head and handed the box over to Kazlaena.

“Um, well, try sis.” She offered a chocolate cookie and Pri took it, looking it over for a moment.

She set the cookie in her mouth and bit down cautiously, almost expecting something to happen. Kazlaena gave her a bit of a grin as she nodded, finding the cookie agreeable.

“‘ow ‘ave you never ‘ad any junk foods?” Kazlaena patted at her stomach a couple of times, causing Pri to tense up with a bit of a laugh.

“Cultural teaching frowns on food that is consumed without purpose.” Pri took a large chip next. “Culture may have missed out gravely.” She set the chip in her mouth and crunched down, nodding with approval.

“Sose are Haswik flavor, made wis tubers,” She tried one herself. “Sa Terrans call sem potato sips.”

“Haswik herb has surprising taste upon baked tuber slice!” Pri remarked.

“Yes,” Kazlaena nodded. “Sise one is sa barbacue, old Terran flavor.”

Pri took the chip and tried it, eyes widening when the taste hit her tongue. “Very agreeable.” She nodded.

“Sese are popping candies,” Kazlaena gave Pri a couple of candies and she set them in her mouth, feeling them pop on her tongue.

“Ah, ach, pop, what? Pop What is this? pop.” Pri looked at Kazleana with concern but saw the Vandean giggling.

“Sey just fun candies, see?” Kazlaena dumped several in her mouth and felt them start popping. “Eh, pop mleh pop, ah, oops, pop sat was too many, pop, pop, pop.” She gritted her teeth as the candies popped off relentlessly.

Pri felt the popping in her own mouth stop but watched Kazlaena with some concern as the Vandean looked up at her wide eyed while the candies continued to pop off.

“Ow,” Kazlaena felt a large pop against one tooth. “Um, want some more?”

Pri shook her head and held her hands up. “Certainly not!”

“Um, ok, sere are some oser sings ‘ere.” Kazlaena held out a bowl with some gummies, which Pro found troublesome as they sank on her sharp teeth and got stuck.

“Forgive Deportment.” Pri said as she turned away and picked at a couple she couldn’t force loose with her tongue.

“Um, maybe sey not so good.” Kazlaena scratched her chin. “Oh! I know!” She took out a small rectangle packet and pulled plastic wrap off.

Pri watched as she went over to a microwave and popped the packet in, then turned the appliance on. A few moments later it began popping and Pri knew what she was making.

“Terran popped corn?” Pri said as she walked up beside Kazlaena.

“Yes, um, you ‘ave ‘ad?”

“No,” Pri shook her head. “But have seen crew make it.”

“Well, sis can be for you, if you want. Try it out at least. Sere are oser sip flavors too.”

“Is intent to eat junk food to sickness?” Pri humored as Kazlaena gave her a wide grin.

“Um, maybe...”

“I must take caution,” Pri replied. “I am expected at meeting tonight upon return. Possibility of security team need is likely.”

“Aww ... Sat takes sa point away.” Kazlaena said as she opened the microwave.

She retrieved the steaming bag of popcorn and did her best to pour it into a bowl without burning herself from the heat.

“Sere, try some of sat.” She held the bowl out for Pri, who took a popped kernel.

“Hmm,” Pri nodded after she set the kernel in her mouth and chewed down. “Agreeable.”

“‘ere, ‘ave sis,” Kazlaena gave her the bowl and Pri took it gratefully. “Ok, Vallie sould be ‘ere soon, we can talk until see arrives. Let’s go sit.”

Pri followed Kazlaena back to one of the couches and sat down as the Vandean went after the box of popping candies. She sat down beside Pri, nestling up against the Sezars side before dumping several of the candies in her mouth and letting them pop. A particularly loud pop made her look up at Pri with a surprised grin, causing Pri to fall into laughter.

“Little one sure likes explosive candy.” Pri wrapped an arm around her.

“Sey pop are so pop fun,” Kazlaena giggled, then offered the candies to Pri jokingly, receiving a shake of the head in response.

She leaned forward once the popping had stopped and took a chocolate cookie.

“Sose are kind of big claws on sa feet, Pri.” Kazlaena said as she looked over Pri’s three toed feet. “Are sey uncomfortable?”

“Can be pain if sleeping under blanket,” Pri replied. “Turning or rolling can yield new holes in fabric.”

“Ah no,” Kazlaena looked at her with a bit of pity. “I always file sa claws down. File and file ... file, file, file, so mus filing, mainly on sa feet. On sa fingers, sa claws get worn down enouse wis sa daily work.”

“You prefer to wear sockings?” Pri asked, noting Kazlaena’s socks

“Um, yes. Wis sa filed down claws sa sockings last. I see you ‘ave taken sa ends off your sockings?”

“Correct,” Pri nodded. “Whether by hand or claw, end of socking will find itself torn to large opening.”

“Are sey uncomfortable?” Kazlaena tilted her head to one side.

“Less so than several holes,” Pri replied. “Thought failed to bring sandals.”

“Sat would ‘ave been good,” Kazlaena nodded. “I sould ‘ave too.”

Just as Kazleana dropped more popping candy in her mouth, the door opened and Valeria stepped in, brandishing a plastic dart gun that was levelled at them.

“Right then lasses, this is a stickup, ye best get to steppin over yonder to them there dart guns and eyewear in the corner there before I fill yas full of soft plastic.” She gave them a squinted stare.

“EEEEkkkk!!!” Kazlaena hopped up and threw on a pair of goggles, making her look ridiculous.

Pri was slow to rise, not sure what was going on and looking confused as Kazlaena jammed a set of goggles and a plastic dart gun in her hands, before taking aim with her own.

“Um, sese ‘ere parts aint used to, um, sa likes of you, outlaw Rocky Stoneater,” Kazlaena looked up at Pri, who was still yet to put her eyewear on. “Sa, back me up ‘ere, please.”

Pri was unsure of what she was doing, but went with it anyway, putting on the eyewear that made her look even more silly than Kazlaena.

“Sherrif Starseeker, ah see there you wrestled up yerself a deputy. Maybe this time ya got what ya need to take me down.”

“Sat’s right, outlaw, I ‘ave ‘ere, um...” She looked up at Pri for a second. “Sis is deputy Kind’eart. See may be yer only um, sance to surrender safely, so give up.”

“Never,” Valeria cocked the lever on her toy gun. “Best we get to dancin’ with our irons ‘ere.” Valeria fired off a shot between them, before cycling another round.

“Yeek!” Kazlaena jumped back, then fired off a shot from her gun, missing Valeria wildly.

Pri looked over the gun for a second, then shouldered it and aimed at Valeria. With a bit of a sharp breath in, she spoke, trying to mix their accents with her own.

“Poor intent ... that there was, firin between boss ... and myself. Duty predicts this ‘ere meetin be endin ... bad, for outlaw of the rocks...” She grinned momentarily before firing at Valeria, making her duck behind a couch.

“Ya got good aim there kid,” Valeria said, “lets see how ya handle a six shooter.” She came over the couch and fired off several darts one handed from a revolver.

For a frantic couple of minutes, they fired darts back and forth, picking up ammo off the floor to keep themselves in the game. Pri and Kazlaena finally managed to get Valeria pinned and Pri whispered quickly in Kazlaena’s ear, making her giggle almost uncontrollably.

“I reckon we call it a draw?” Valeria offered a parley.

A couple of seconds later, she saw Kazlaena over the edge of the couch, looking down at her with a dart gun at the ready.

“‘Allo,” Kazlaena said, giggling as she squirmed in Pri’s hands.

“Ach, ya got me,” Valeria dropped her dart guns and stood up, seeing Pri holding the Vandean up and over most of the couch, causing all three to laugh pretty good.

“Let us see ‘ow long it takes you to escape sis time, outlaw.” Kazlaena grinned and Pri set her down.

“Ah reckon not long,” Valeria winked and Kazlaena rushed up to her, giving her a big hug. “Ah missed ya, little Sherrif.”

“I, um, aah missed ya, outlaw,” Kazlaena let out a happy squeak as Valeria picked her up and shook her a moment.

She set Kazlaena down and looked at Pri, “Yer turn, lass.”

Pri grinned before hopping over the far couch, eyeing Valeria cautiously.

“Let’s get ‘er.” Kazlaena said as she went one way and Valeria went the other.

“Sina saqua pervun for Ahhhh,” Pri let out a laugh despite her best efforts to stifle it when Kazlaena latched on, giving Valeria time to round the other side and get her in a hug.

“We got ya,” Valeria winked.

Pri eyed her for a moment, then picked Kazlaena up in one arm and almost succeeded in picking up Valeria in the other.

“Stars you are a strong one,” Valeria laughed as Pri let them go. “Alright, shall we dive into that there vid?”

“Um, yes,” Kazlaena nodded.

“Right then, seat up ladies, I’ll be out in a couple minutes. Either of you eager for a pillow?”

“Yussss,” Kazlaena nodded.

“You takin the recliner Kazzie?”

“Um, yeee.” Kazlaena spoke, ending in a bit of a shriek.

“Heh, ok, Pri, you want a pillow? Ya got a whole couch to yerself, might as well get super comfy.”

“Gratitude.” Pri nodded her head and Valeria went into her sleeping area, emerging a moment later with a couple of pillows.

She handed one to Pri, who took it and set it beside her as Kazlaena rushed up and took the other one. As Valeria changed out of her work uniform, Kazlaena started up the vidscreen and popped the datachip from her case into a small media player. Though streaming services and rental applications were available on the various local Sys-nets, those that travelled the void, or worked far from entertainment relay hubs, still needed a means to access media. Small datachips with one or more programs helped fill that lack of access.

As Valeria stepped back out, she headed over to the fridge and grabbed a wine cooler for herself, then looked over her shoulder.

“What libation be yer particular poisons, ladies?”

“What?” Kazlaena sat up and looked over. “Drink poison?”

“Haha no, lil lady, what would you like to drink? I have Lemon lime wine coolers, Citrona, Creamo Gleamos, uhh, water if you’d rather?”

“Gleamo, Gleamo,” Kazlaena said excitedly, “Pweeassse,” She gave Valeria a dopey expression.

“Aight, one Gleamo for the Vando, how about the Pri?”

“Citrona, if I may.” Pri said and Valeria brought their drinks over.

“No Cooler?” Valeria raised a brow as she handed Pri a can of the carbonated citrus beverage.

“Gratitude, but duty may call this eve. Must maintain readiness not dulled by spirits.”

“Fair enough,” Valeria smiled at her, then passed over the can of Gleamo to Kaz, who popped the top and was met by a blast of fizzy carbonation.

“EEEEKKK!!!” Kazlaena started sucking at the frothing can, trying to contain the contents.

“Ah! Sandy!” Valeria half scowled, half grinned as she rushed to get a towelette from the kitchen for Kazlaena.

“Sat was crazy...” Kazlaena paused for a moment, then let out a carbonated belch. “Um, sorry, sorry for sat and sa bad manners and um...” She covered her mouth, eyes wide with concern.

“Wasn’t you lass,” Valeria wiped the Vandean’s face. “Me n’ Sandy were watchin’ vids night before last. We play these jokes on each other all the time. You were a ... casualty in that, ah suppose.”

“Um...” Kazlaena felt the unpleasant sticky feeling of the beverage in her facial fuzz and frowned.

“Go wash up,” Valeria sent her on her way to the restroom. “I’ll clean this up and check the other cans to find one that’s ok.”

Kazlaena sped off while Pri sat, looking at her can suspiciously. Valeria caught her concerned look after a moment and grinned.

“Here lass, lemme have it,” She took the can over to the sink and popped the top, hearing a quick fizz, then nothing. “All good in the hood.”

Kazlaena had her chair fully reclined and was surrounded by several containers of snacks. Valeria was laying across the length of the left couch, occasionally taking a drink from her cooler or eating a barbecue chip. Pri was still seated, pillow propped up beside her with her citrona can in hand and popcorn bowl beside her, still half uneaten. Her eyes fell over Kazlaena and Valeria for brief moments from time to time, seeing how much fun they were having with the movie. She could not understand why, though she found parts quite funny, she couldn’t quite unwind. She kept a guard up that she hated but just couldn’t let go.

“Alright lasses,” Valeria paused the vid halfway through. “Lobby break, and a surprise snack.”

“Anoser snak?” Kazlaena raised her brows. “I’m gonna be so sick after sis.”

Valeria gave her a wink as she went to the fridge and Kazlaena rushed off to the restroom.

“Ya enjoying the vid, Pri?” Valeria asked from the kitchen.

“Vid bears agreeable comedy.” Pri nodded.

“Ya look so intense, is all. Wasn’t shure if romcoms were yer chosen vid style.”

“Have watched little vids at breadth,” Pri replied. “No singular genre holds preference. These, rom-coms however, may find unexpected audience with this sezar.”

“You hardly watch vids?” Valeria asked curiously.

“Not a chosen pastime.” Pri replied.

“Oh? Ah know ya got talent for drawin’ and paintin’. What else tickles yer fancy?”

Pri was silent for a moment, then replied. “Some literature comes to mind. Documentary vids. A vidgame or two.”

“Ah, the vidgames. Some of em sure are addictin’,” Valeria said as Kazlaena came rushing back in, ducking around her hips to get a good look at the new snack.

“Socklet Cake? Yeeeekkk!!!”

“Yeah hun, I knew how much ya liked this. Got the good milk too. That non-dairy Cekouya stuff. Crew goes crazy for it. We have mountains in the cooler so drink up.”

“Sat’s awesome,” Kazlaena clapped her hands and took out three tumblers for the milk. “Pri wants sa milk too, yes?”

“With pleasure.” Pri nodded and Kazlaena filled all three tumblers.

She held one with both hands, moving as fast as she could without spilling as she rushed over to Pri.

“Sere you go,” Kazlaena handed her the glass, then rushed over to get her plate of cake, running back a second later to pass that off to Pri as well.

“Gratitude, piece is quite generous,” Pri looked over the slice of cake, bigger than a typical pizza slice.

“If yer gonna indulge,” Valeria looked over to her with a smile. “It’s all in.”

Pri took the fork sticking out of the cake and scooped a small piece off, looking at the texture of the food curiously.

“Never indulged in cake.” She said quietly, then set the fork in her mouth, half expecting something to happen.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close