Stellar Drift - Cover

Stellar Drift

Copyright© 2022 by Rogue_Aquarian

Chapter 21

The Astral Feather had entered the Kratta system and approached the fourth planet. Kratta had a dozen mining posts scattered throughout the system. Some were planet side operations that ferried ores off planet up to star ports above. Others were on moons, asteroids, or large star ports, using industrial ships to mine and transport minerals to be processed, then gathered at the primary starport over Kratta Four for loading onto freighters that would take the minerals out system. The broken moons were visible on the dark side of Kratta Four, looking like shattered eggs enveloped in a dust cloud. Whatever geological event had caused such destruction, had also given the planet a ruined, volcanic makeover. Around the planet’s equator, a giant, brown ring circled the planet as the dust from the moons fell into a steadily failing orbit. The Astral Feather halted about two hundred thousand kilometers above the north pole of Kratta Four. A brief exchange of information occurred with Kratta Station before the ship was on a new course to begin patrolling for the intended target.

Jack took a sip of coffee and stepped into the telecomms room. No-one else was there so he took the third booth, the one with the best audio. He tapped in the system area code, then the planet code, then entered the individual’s specific residence number. The name Ben Wallace came up on the screen with an animation signaling a connection attempt.

“Hey fucknuts,” came from the console as Jack saw the blurry image of one of his friends come into focus on the comms screen. He was well tanned save for some burn marks on his face, with dark hair, a sharp nose and soft brown eyes that focused on Jack.

“You being a piece of shit lately?” Jack asked.

“Eh, fuckin at it with the neighbor, you know the one,” Ben remarked.

“What? He tell you to mow that fucking jungle you got in your front yard?”

“Haha, not yet. The Dyson’s boy went on safari and got lost in there, we’re still trying to find him,” Ben grinned and Jack had to spit out his coffee as he laughed.

“Well, you haven’t been vote kicked off the block so I guess things are going good.”

“Eh, sorta.”

“What’s the beef with your neighbor now?”

“Parking their vehicles all over the street.”

“Nobody shares parking spots?” Jack asked.

“No, listen, All ... Over ... The ... Street...” Ben emphasized each word.

“Ok? What the fuck?”

“We got blocked in the other day by Screw Brains McGee and his fuckin supertanker of a boat trailer. After we came to an agreement about parking courtesy via some verbal reinforcement, his offspring, Dip and Shit got hammered and ran their vehicles into each other in the middle of the street. Like father, like fuck heads, I guess. Left one vehicle in the street, the other took out the seventy-year-old vicoro tree up by the intersection.”

“Fuckin clowns ... can’t believe they still live at home.” Jack shook his head.

“Probably never leave Jack. Mom and pop ain’t like those fuckin birds that nest high on those cliffs and fuckin boot their young out, then watch the little fucks tumble down a couple hundred feet so they can ‘be free’, find their own way.” Ben shook his head.

“Hard to believe they’re in their forties.”

“Yeah, no shit.” Ben shook his head.

“Did you ever have any fallout after we ruined their block party?” Jack asked.

“Nah, not a clue on account of all them being full screwed idiots. Using those smoke canisters was a good call.”

“Yeah, well your nefarious deployment of those CS-9 cans was what really made it though. That stuff fucking reeks, and their faces...” Jack laughed. “ ... all those shit-faced clowns started puking as they tried to run, oh man.”

“Learn to respect your fucking block mates,” Ben said.

“No kidding,” Jack took a sip of coffee. “How are the kids?”

“Youngest is shittin in his diapers and playing with it like its play-doh,” Ben shrugged. “You know, standard stuff.”

“Good stuff to look forward to,” Jack frowned momentarily.

“Eh, why? You having a kid?”

“Maybe someday.”

“You still breaking down that captain of yours? Convincin’ her you’re hot sauce n’ all that’?” Ben grinned.

“Trying,” Jack leaned back. “She means a lot to me and I’m pretty sure the feeling is mutual.”

“Crew still in the fuckin dark about it?”

“Yeah, no reveals yet.” Jack replied.

“Blast her in the face with the big question yet?”

“No,” Jack shook his head. “We need to have some stability for that to work.”

“Yep. Gotta stop fucking about amongst the stars there. Get your feet back on the ground so you can sink some roots.”

“Not sure if Artema is where we’d sink roots though.” Jack turned a little serious. “Too many fucked up memories for me.”

“Look brother,” Ben also became serious. “That was a while ago. All that fucking jaundiced government full screw bullshit is over. We beat those shit-head adjacent, fuck knucklers and now the planet is at peace. Other races can live here without that fucking persecution bullshit and we had a part to play in that. Keep your chin up, eh,” Ben spoke sternly.

“I try to,” Jack said. “Some nights, though.”

“Just gotta call me, man.” Ben told him. “Just make a call. In fact, here’s a number you can call for better help than even my fantastic self can offer.”

Jack caught the little card that printed from the console and pocketed it.

“Try them, don’t suffer in silence. It helped me, as much as I could be helped. Don’t be a limp wiener and give them a chance.”

“Ok, ok,” Jack said. “I’ll think about it.”

“Good, then, well...” Ben had to push the family Trexocat out of the picture as it sniffed at the screen. “Voxo, you big goof mewzer, get outta here.” He said playfully.

Trexocats were large, docile felines that Artemans often kept as house pets. Alert and friendly and far more patient than house felines of Terra.

“Your reunion with your crew went all goodie good?” Ben asked.

“Pretty good here,” Jack nodded.

“Your little sidekick still kickin ass?”

“Oh yeah.” Jack said a bit enthusiastically.

“What’s her name again? Kaz?”

“Yeah, it’s Kaz,” Jack took a sip of coffee.

“Vandean right?”

“Yeah.”

“She makin out ok in the wide world of electronics?”

“Very aptly,” Jack chuckled. “She got game.”

“You back into routine?”

“Yeah, pretty much,” Jack nodded. “Eight months off didn’t make me a flump. Thanks again, by the way, for letting me crash at your place while I was there.”

“Anytime fuckstick.” Ben smiled. “Hope it wasn’t too chaotic.”

“It was fine,” Jack assured him.

“Wouldn’t be fine now,” Ben said. “Thing one and thing two are on the ‘my toy’ warpath. Got all up in each other’s grill yesterday over the blinky clackers. Ever see an eighteen-month-old pull off an elbow slam?”

“What the fuck?” Jack tried to hold back laughter.

“Yeah, fuck, right?” Ben chuckled. “Stumbling all over the place yet managed that with flawless execution.”

“Follows in his old man’s footsteps then, huh?” Jack remarked.

“Yeah, yeah, I sure can stumble, but I can keep my fackin dignity,” Ben said. “You on the other hand ... remember the fountain at Rickson’s Square? All them late night students witnessing your generous donation to the fountain water with all them lil duckies?”

“Facka you,” Jack remarked, “I was just trying to help the poor lil fuckers out by feeding ‘em.”

“Not quite spoon feeding, but that’s how it starts. That changes fucking fast though, like mine for instance. One minute his hands are sifting through the rug, chewing on Voxo’s hairballs, next minute, he’s trying out for the League wrestling circuit.”

“You encourage the both of them,” Jack heard another voice in the background and saw Ben’s wife, Melanie, appear in frame. She pushed her long black hair behind her shoulders, blue eyes looking at Jack warmly. She had unblemished brown skin with a beauty mark on her left cheek.

“Melanie! How are ya?” Jack asked.

“Keeping things under control, with three kids and all.” Melanie replied as she gestured at Ben.

“Goo goo, me want sandvich.” Ben said in a childish manner.

“Now, now, bennie, you’re on a timeout. Boys who misbehave only get carrot pablum.” Melanie put him in a headlock.

“Me fucked now,” Ben tried to break free but he couldn’t get leverage.

“Ah, that’s where the kids get their wrestling inspiration from.” Jack laughed.

Ben and Melanie looked up at him together and smiled.

“You might want to watch the night-time wrestling though, you two are louder than you think,” Jack saw them both display shocked expressions.

“You uh, heard some of that?” Ben questioned.

“I couldn’t tell if you two were, you know...” Jack clasped his hands together. “ ... or if you were really wrestling. The countdowns are what confuses me...”

“Alright, I’m out,” Melanie left the frame. “Not sure how embarrassed I should be at the moment.”

Jack looked at Ben, who, after a pause, gave him a wink.

“Yeah...” Jack laughed. “What the fuck though...”

“New adventures Jack, you aught to try it with your C.O. there.”

“Maybe,” Jack concurred. “So what’s with the countdown?”

“Well...” Ben smiled. “ ... let me explain it.”

Jack leaned in and listened curiously...

Jack walked into the rec room and noted all the ‘usual suspects’ were there. Sita and Cardox were in their usual chairs. Nyka was at a table by the books, going over something on her datapad. Kazlaena and Rusu were at it on the VR system, playing a scary game which made Jack grin a little. Both were none too eager to play scary games, but there was word circulating that they were dared to do it. The game required ‘monster hunters’ to go in and identify what creature they were dealing with, then hunt it down and contain it or eliminate it. Charm watched from the large couch with gritted teeth, tensing up as Kazlaena and Rusu went through an abandoned building, looking for clues. What made him surprised, and glad to see, was that Pri was present and watching the game with interest from where she sat on the smaller loveseat. Pri did come to the rec room but it was pretty rare before he left, making her a very hard target for pranks. This was the first time he saw her here since he had come back. Jack intended to creep up behind her and give her a bit of a start but she scented him out pretty quickly and turned around, eyeing him with suspicion.

“What foul intention is planned now?” She asked curiously.

“Nothin...” Jack replied meekly.

Pri gave him a grin like ‘caught you’ and he walked over, joining her on the loveseat.

“Game is rather intense, no reservations for jump scares.” Pri said curiously.

“Not your thing?” Jack asked.

“Have yet to try.”

“You’re gonna give it a go?” He was a bit surprised.

“Soon. Next round after Sita and Rusu,” Pri said, almost embarrassed.

Jack could see her fidgeting a little and knew it was one of her telltale signs of discomfort. He reached over and bumped her leg.

“Eh, you’ll have fun.”

“You never play vidgames?” Pri asked. “No interest?”

“Never tried much past my youth,” Jack replied. “Had that old ... hell was it called? It was a box you could load vidgames into and take them to friends’ houses.”

“The digivid,” Charm said, a bit excited.

“Yeah, that’s it,” Jack pointed at her and grinned. “You had one too?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close