Gabatrix: Legacy - Cover

Gabatrix: Legacy

Copyright© 2022 by CMed TheUniverseofCMed

Chapter 11: Blood For Life

The four recruits stood back at the starting point. Each one looked at one another. The disk magazines on their backs had been replaced, and a quick check showed that everything was in good operation for their armored suits. Enlai had psyched himself out. Gavrill would close his eyes as if he was saying a silent prayer to himself. Dariea had also closed her eyes before she looked at Enlai as a source of strength. Isandro had a smile on his face as he looked upon Gavrill.

“First time seeing you like this, Gavrill,” Isandro remarked.

“Huh?” the towering recruit replied as he opened his eyes. “Erm ... just something that I used to do back on Mars ... before Gavrill knew that it was time to stop being what ‘he’ was. Makes me feel better.”

Isandro held his hand up like a fist in Gavrill’s direction. Within a second, Gavrill took his fist, and they did a polite fist bump to one another.

“Yeah,” Gavrill said, nodding his head with absolute pride. “Gavrill can do this. We can do this! Yeah! YEAH!” He triumphantly screamed. He pumped up his emotions.

“Let’s do this!” Enlai reacted appropriately. He held his hand towards the three waiting for them to respond appropriately. “Lifen Recruit Division! Redder than blood!”

“Blood for life!” the others said. Even Dariea briefly smiled as well.

Each of the trainees took their gloved hands and slapped them together in one big circle before pulling back. In less than a few seconds, the time would end, and the final round of the simulation would begin. There would be no more chances, but Enlai felt that this would be the last try regardless. Nerves were high, but not any more than the previous few hours had brought forth. If anything, the surge in confidence was welcoming.

“Attention, all hands,” the male officer’s voice came through the intercom. “Training time out has ended. Recommence with Phase 1 operations.”

There was a pause. At least ten seconds had gone by. The passageways were empty as usual. A part of Enlai still wondered what level 4 was supposed to be, though. What did the CO mean by her demand? As usual, the last hour had been silent. The master sergeant hadn’t said a thing or announced a single word. The recruits would be on their own.

Suddenly, the entire passageway had gone dark, but briefly. It was the first time that they had ever experienced this. A set of red lights turned on the side bulkheads. The internal visors quickly compensated for the low lighting, illuminating everything for the recruits to see perfectly. The interior lighting was dim, but not enough to prevent normal individuals from seeing correctly.

A bang erupted on the left of the starting point. This was followed by that of escaping harmless gasses. It was disturbing as the vapor could be seen venting into the passageway.

“Hull breach!” the male officer’s voice erupted on the comms. “Section 1-3-60 and 2-1-50. One casualty reported. Marine and medical teams respond immediately!”

This was all new. Enlai wouldn’t hesitate as he briefly looked at the four. “You’ve heard him!” he yelled out to his team. “Let’s head there now!”

“Shit,” Dariea commented as they began to walk and move forward. “This ... aren’t we supposed to be repelling an Itrean boarding team.”

“I know ... it’s different. Keep providing cover. The area isn’t secured.”

“I’m not picking anything hostile on my sensors,” Isandro said. “The screen is picking up what looked like a railgun strike that hit the outside of the ship and penetrated the hull. That’s what they were reporting.”

“I’m picking it up too,” Enlai noted. “Makes sense ... this would be a simulation and a battle. If this were real, the Itreans would try to disable...”

“Got something,” Dariea commented. “Forward passageway ... past the crossway ... first door on the left. Two heat signatures. Can’t tell anything else.”

Another eruption of venting gasses narrowly struck Enlai and Gavrill as they went past the first crossway. Flashing lights reminiscent of power surges could be seen on the left. Enlai’s eyes could mark the two as they neared the door. It appeared to be one man pinned to the wall. Another is attending him.

“Maintain coverage!” Enlai ordered. He turned his attention to the door. “Hey! We’re here to render assistance!”

“Ahhh!” A screaming voice yelled out. It was undecipherable beyond the closed door of the room. However, Enlai could see that the man appeared to be twitching and struggling. Another person, a male, approached the door and opened it.

Enlai was greeted by Chief Caeytano. The medical officer was dressed in a Meclevar vest. He was attending to that of a man that was similarly dressed. This was the individual that was screaming. Enlai saw the nametag and rank of Petty Officer Ramirez. The room appeared to be a large storage closet of some sort with various gear that had been stowed. It was an ideal location for a group of individuals to hide.

“My arm!” Ramirez screamed. “They took my arm ... ARGH!”

Enlai looked at Ramirez. He had a missing left arm. Fake blood was dribbling through the socket of where his augmented arm should be. Some sort of training device was in its place. It was shaped like that of severed arteries and veins. It looked very life-like similar to a real human arm.

“We need help right now!” Caeytano said. “Anybody in your team that is capable of being a medic!? You! You can help us!”

Enlai caught on immediately to what was happening. He turned his head to Isandro, and a dumbfounded look appeared on his face.

“Isandro, go help him!” Enlai ordered.

“Of course!” Isandro replied. Enlai quickly stepped out of the way and gave the short recruit a chance to slip past him. The sling arm of his gun allowed him to stow it away to his right and rear side, giving him both hands.

“Private Isandro, is it?” Caeytano directed. “You’re about to save this man’s life. Apply pressure to the top area of the left arm right there!” The ship’s chief medical officer was adamant and compassionate but firm in his words as he directed Isandro on what to do.

Isandro took his gloved hands and began to squeeze the arm. The power armor’s settings provided a powerful grip. More blood started to trickle through and float in the zero gravity. For Enlai, it appeared pretty grizzly, as if the person had his arm hacked off. If this were real, it could have been easily attributed to the sheer power of the railgun round that hit the ship. It served as a helpful reminder of the simulation they were in and what things would actually be like in the future.

“Shit...,” Dariea commented.

“Oww ... Oww ... not so tight,” Ramirez winced in pain. It caused Isandro to lighten his grip.

“No!” Caeytano replied. “Don’t lessen your hold. Hold onto it tight to slow down the flow of blood. Here!” He reached into his pocket and held it next to Isandro. “Use this. With your right hand, but keep your left hand braced so he doesn’t lose any more blood. Apply it to his neck and press the applicator switch.”

Isandro saw the small hypo syringe placed next to his visor. It floated gently in the zero gravity. It appeared to be a form of jet injection needle. It contained a clear white liquid on it. With his right hand, he plucked it from the air and reached forward to Ramirez’s neck. The device was easy to use. It consisted of a simple switch that Isandro’s finger was able to tap. In less than a second, the liquid was injected into Ramirez’s neck.

“Ugh!” Ramirez replied. For a split second, Enlai wondered what was in the spray. Perhaps it was just water? Whatever it was, Isandro was adeptly curious as to everything. For a second, he appeared to be in his element. He was utterly calm but seemed to be enjoying the moment.

“That was Losprin,” Caeytano said. “That will help with the pain and help deal with the loss of blood. That’s one of the common first aid injections that you will be equipped with on the field. Use this on his wound!” The chief then pulled out another injector-like device, but it was bigger and had a larger vial system on it. The nozzle also appeared to be thicker. “Apply this to the wound. It uses the same trigger.”

Isandro did as he was told. He took the nozzle, placed it near the bleeding, and pressed the small trigger. A transparent green gel came out and began to cover the severed veins and arteries. The bleeding had started to hit the gel, and it would cause the gel mixture to harden immediately. Within several seconds, Isandro had finished. There was a nice layer that was caked over the wound.

“That’s Medical Gel,” Caeytano informed him. “It’s used to help stop major limb separations, lacerations, or deep cuts. Right now, you got him stabilized. However, there is a possibility that the medical gel might not apply appropriately, or you might not have it at all. What do you do, private? How do you stop the bleeding and save Ramirez’s life?”

“Umm ... uh...,” Isandro seemed to pause. The chief pulled out a belt. It was black and thick. He then handed it to him.

“This is a tourniquet belt. It’s also available for us. Depending on the environment and situation, this may be the difference between saving a life or watching the person that you care about die in front of you. Take your hand and wrap it around near the severed arm for Ramirez. We want to ensure that the gel and this will prevent any bleeding. You got that, Private?”

“Aye, Chief,” Isandro said as he began to wrap the strap around Ramirez’s arm. There was a metal device that was connected to it.

“Once it’s on, you can hit that red button that’s on the device. It will activate and give a nice hard tug. Power that baby on.”

“Oh ... this is going to,” Ramirez remarked. “I don’t know if I wanted to sign up for this...”

Isandro activated the device as it squeezed tight. It was hard as Ramirez winced a little bit. He could feel the blood circulation near his elbow be cut off.

“Good,” the chief slapped his hand to the recruit’s armored shoulder. “Well done, private. You might have saved this man’s life. After Stone stops beating the shit out of you four, I’m going to train you in how to be a class 2 medic. Maybe more if you’re up to it. Doctor Folar’sha and I are well trained in the medical field. You got two of the best people right here on this ship. How does that sound, Private? Sound good?”

“Sounds great, Chief!” Isandro said with a smile.

“Excellent. I’ll put in the paperwork, and we’ll make you an HMLCpl. You’re excused, private. You have a mission to complete.”

“Understood, Chief ... thank you.”

Enlai watched as Isandro left the room and rejoined the three. Just like that, Enlai understood that he would be made an E-3 and a medic. It was a remarkable turnaround. However, those thoughts would be put on hold. The door closed, and the four were left to look at each other.

“Lucky son of a bitch,” Dariea said.

“Alright, we need to get our heads together,” Enlai said. “Everything is so ... different.”

“Maybe.”

“We should go ahead and try to head to the console right now. We can get a head start before they call in the boarding action.”

“No...,” Enlai remarked. “We probably have a few seconds before they will start the whole sequence with the boarding action phase. If the Itreans start pouring through, we will be in their direct firing line. We won’t last long.”

“What are we going to do?” Dariea asked. “We’ve done this so many times now, but any path we take isn’t going to work.”

Isandro put his hand to his sentry turret drone. His fingers fidgeted while he began to really think of an idea. Enlai seemed defeated. Perhaps they were wasting time. Dariea might have been right. However, they had to stay behind to protect Isandro. How do they get past this scenario? Each second that was going by may be their last. It would only be a matter of time before it started. Think...

“Think ... think...,” Isandro said out loud. “Think ... outside the box.”

“What?” Enlai asked.

“We should...” Isandro’s words were interrupted.

“Attention, all hands!” the same male officer’s voice called out on the intercom. “We have been boarded! Itrean soldiers detected on hatchway 2-B!”

“Damn!” Enlai remarked.

“I got an idea!” Isandro said. “Follow me!”

Isandro began to move quickly as he doubled back to the starting point. Enlai and the other two were curious as to what was going on. The sensors on Enlai’s HUD could pick up the new signatures that were beginning to move.

“Follow him!” Enlai said. “Let’s move, move, move! Isandro, what’s the plan?”

He reached the crossway. “We haven’t done one thing yet! Hatchway 4-D. Itreans are pouring through the breach they made. They’ll be crawling through this whole deck. Let’s reduce that, shall we?”

“Wait...,” Dariea said with realization. “Are you thinking what I think that you’re thinking?”

“Gavrill confused,” the towering recruit said.

“Hatchway 4-D takes up to the far starboard aft of the ship,” Enlai commented. “It only leads us to the corner of the ship, the opposite side of our destination.”

“We don’t have much time!” Isandro said. He took a step back. Then, he made a quick leap. The others responded in kind. The blow-through would utilize zero gravity to the fullest. It allowed the trainees to make a clean jump as fast as they could move without having to walk.

“We use the hatchway ... go outside!” Isandro explained. “It’s the only way.”

Space ... it hit Enlai like a ton of bricks as they were nearing the main door. A sudden realization of fear had struck him. The only way to avoid the Itreans was to do a spacewalk.

“Holy fuck!” Dariea realized it.

“Gavrill, be ready behind us as Isandro activates the door controls,” Enlai ordered.

Within seconds, the four reached the great hatch. It was like a giant gray mouth ready to devour them. Past this door would be a central chamber to ensure that there wasn’t an atmospheric venting into space. Isandro was quick with his wrist computer. He began to key in several commands.

“How are we going to do this?” Dariea asked with dread.

“Our suits can handle being out in space, Dariea,” Enlai replied.

“We should be fine,” Isandro said. “This is part of the test ... it’s always been a part of the test! We just never did it because we thought it was madness.”

Enlai thought about it as the hatch slid open. A green light was given inside the chamber. The heat signatures were closing in as the Itreans were venting through all directions. Another twenty seconds, and they would be in a firefight.

“Head in. Head in!” Enlai ordered. Each of the recruits stepped into the pressure chamber. Gavrill’s face was that of outright fear and apprehension.

“Oh ... oh ... not good,” Gavrill said as he kept his grenade launcher tuned to the opposite corner of the ship. Within seconds, the hatch closed, sealing them in the chamber.

“We’ll be fine!” Isandro commented. “We’ve been in an enclosed atmosphere with our suits. Marine power armor ... right?”

Isandro had his fingers ready to press on his wrist computer. He seemed to be looking at everyone else as if he needed to be clear on what was going to happen. The door beyond would be open to space.

“Heat signatures closing in!” Dariea said. “I don’t know if they know we are here, but I wouldn’t test it.”

It was the only way. Space would have to work. Enlai knew the other hatchways in the 2nd deck of the ship.

“Oh ... Gavrill hate space,” the towering recruit continued to say. His heart rate was pounding. They had been in the internal vacuum of the ship. It felt safe, but outside would be dangerous. The environment would make short work of any human being that had no form of suit to protect them.

Enlai closed his eyes ... this was it. They could quit and call it a day or go ahead and do it.

“What is there to lose?” Enlai said. “Isandro, do it!”

Isandro pressed the button, and the air inside the chamber began to be extracted as fast as possible. Flashing strobe lights emitted from the sides, indicating that the atmosphere was being emptied. In less than five seconds, the outside hatch slid open.

It was an intimidating sight to behold. The blackness of space was exposed for the four to witness. The stars only served as a marker that some activity was going on in the void of nothingness. Even if inside of their power armor, it was like being dunked into a pool of water. A wake of agoraphobia could be easily felt by the four.

“Let’s go! Let’s go!” Enlai ordered. “Head out! Grab the ledge and use your boots to grapple to the side of the ship. Whatever you have to do.”

“Shit!” Dariea said as she grabbed the edge handle. She debated on how she was going to do it, but she went ahead and did it. She reached over to the side and exited to the outside. She lifted up her gun and used one hand to touch the side hull of the Lifen. Her hand magnetized to help anchor her. Isandro did the same thing. Enlai looked over to Gavrill.

“Go, man,” Enlai ordered.

“Gavrill, scared!” Gavrill replied. “Handle everything but...”

“Have it your way.” As Gavrill turned to face the outside, Enlai took his boot and smacked it on the towering recruit’s rear end. Gavrill’s boots disengaged as he was sent hurling into the void.

“Oh ... AHHH!” Gavrill screamed as he was free floating. The momentum of the kick had sent him some distance.

“Shit ... what have I done?” Enlai asked himself. He watched as their team member was wailing his hands around. He seemed like he had no control. Momentum would take him to the void further and further from the ship.

“Gavrill!” Isandro yelled. “Use your control thrusters! Left control wrist panel! Do it!”

“Wah!” Gavrill replied. It was like falling into an endless abyss. The suit’s environmental controls registered that they were in a vacuum, but everything showed normal operational conditions. However, it was the sheer fact of trying to overcome the mental anguish of being outside of space.

The big recruit was breathing hard as he reached with his hand and touched his wrist computer. The sensors knew immediately what was happening and offered an immediate solution. A confirm command was needed, and he haphazardly brushed the button.

Within seconds, a series of tiny thrusters activated. Small jets of air pushed to quickly turn Gavrill towards the Lifen. For a little while, he could see that he had gained some distance from the Lifen but only by twenty meters. He could briefly see the Avastier that was docked on the other side of the military transport. The Itrean vessel was much bigger than the Lifen was. However, he would be able to see so much of it for so long. The rear thruster of his suit activated. It gently sent him on a collision course with the Lifen’s hull.

“Whoa!” Gavrill.

“You’re doing it,” Isandro happily said. “Hold your feet down so that your boots will catch the hull.”

“Oh ... ok...”

Within a few seconds, Gavrill held his feet and legs outward. He unlocked his knees before his boots connected with the hull. With only the comms channel of the helmets to provide auditory noise, a light thump could be heard from the hull from the magnetized boots and hands. However, with the lack of air pressure and the vacuum of space, the sound couldn’t really travel.

“Whoa ... Gavrill is alive,” he said to the four.

“Of course, you’re alive,” Dariea replied. She took her boot and pressed her body up. “We’re all talking to each other now, aren’t we?”

“That wasn’t what I heard you say a minute ago,” Enlai commented.

“Shut up ... I was just ... nervous, that’s all.”

The four had all been standing, but it was at a particularly odd angle. The hatchway door had been sealed closed. As a result, they were on the starboard side of the Lifen lander. The docked Avastier was essentially below them on the other side.

“It’s like walking on the wall outside of your house,” Enlai said.

“We should move to Hatchway 5-E,” Isandro said. “It will take us directly to the passageway to the console.”

“Agreed. Let’s go.”

They began to walk forward. The muffled thumping footsteps of the four were almost done in unison. Enlai had to keep his focus ahead. Looking to his sides was like overlooking a cliff, and looking straight up was like staring at an abyss of black. In some ways, it was pretty, but at the same time, it would quickly put a person at unease. Between Enlai’s face and past his enclosed visor was death. Sheer cold, lack of air, and repressure would quickly terminate a person’s life. Yet, there was a certain grace to the event.

“Never imagined being out in space,” Enlai said.

“Oh ... no thanks to you,” Gavrill commented.

“How else were you going to get out of there? Besides, the Itreans might have gunned us down if we remained any longer. Hey ... Isandro. Did you lock those hatches?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close