Gabatrix: Legacy - Cover

Gabatrix: Legacy

Copyright© 2022 by CMed TheUniverseofCMed

Chapter 12: The Engagement At Hesa

“There are two primary methods in which an attack will occur. One is by plan of action, often using former planned strategies, maneuvers, and ruses to overtake your opponent. Two Shal’rein will face each other, duel to the death, their firearms primed, itching to draw their guns and shoot down the other, like a human standoff in a Wild West novel. To most Shal’rein, it is an honorable approach to combat. The other method is by ambush, surprising one’s opponent and overtaking the other. However, unlike those novels and the myth of the Shal’rein, the second option is usually deployed and can warrant good results ... but there is a flaw in that logic. The best option is to use both methods together. Often, the second method is overplayed to the point that the ambusher grows overconfident, their enemies expecting the oncoming attack, negating the very concept of an ambush. It is up to the leader to utilize this third option, find the rare opportunity of when to deploy it and initiate it.” Shira, 2349 AD

“Captain, Lesser Adjunct Veleshar reports that all of her soldiers are onboard the Avastier,” Seaman Koda reported. The former Native American had a firm hand in the navigation controls. A part of his hand was tensing up in anticipation of the upcoming scenario.

“Very well,” Shira replied.

The bridge of the Lifen had been sealed off. Javier was standing by Shira’s side, where she had been sitting patiently at the CO’s console. While she remained at absolute ease, the XO could see that many of the new crew members were also nervous or tense. Unlike the past event where Marselle or Petty Officer Ramirez operated the Jian Seng, this time, it was different. The faces almost seemed unfamiliar even though he had worked with many of them since the latter construction days of the transport. The engineer behind the console was Petty Officer Samira. She had the most experience of the rookie enlisted, but even she had remained reticent, overlooking her console, while keeping herself awake as possible. Another seaman of mixed complexion by the name of Orlando was operating the weapons console. Finally, to Javier’s right was an albino woman by the title and rank of Seaman Apprentice Melody. She was the most unique looking due to her utmost pale complexion and the fact that she had short-cut light blue and pink hair. She was operating the sensor and communication console.

Javier watched the main view screen as the Avastier was spooling up its front vectoring thrusters. Finally, it began to break away from the Lifen slowly. It was heading toward the port bow of the transport.

There was something that Javier wanted to question Shira as he could look at each of the crew members. However, he wanted to be as professional as possible without insulting the rookie team assembled.

“With our new crew in place,” he said. “Are they ready to handle this?”

Shira seemed to understand what he was getting at by the tone of his voice. “Yes,” she replied. “It’s important that they experience what a battle may become. Ready or not, this will be proper training for everyone that is on this bridge.”

“I just wish I had more rest, Ma’am,” Samira commented.

“I can do this,” Koda said, nodding his head. He had an augmented hand operating on the main panel.

“Ma’am,” Melody said in her wispy voice. “I just received a call from the Avastier. Lesser Adjunct Veleshar wishes to talk to you.”

“Open the channel on the main bridge screen,” Shira ordered.

“Aye, Ma’am.”

This somewhat surprised Javier. He was expecting Shira to speak to her mother from her console only. It was typically tradition for the COs of UHN vessels to do so. However, this time was different. Shira seemed to be wanting her mother to see the bridge of her ship. Veleshar would see everyone that was present. Javier quickly dropped the issue as this might have been a tradition for Itrean adjuncts to do.

The background of space instantly disappeared and was replaced with the projected image of Veleshar. Shira’s mother was sitting on a chair on the main bridge of the Avastier. Javier felt a wave of nostalgia and vivid memories of being on the Garja’s bridge. Very few changes were made to the interior bridge. The camera was angled to focus directly on Veleshar’s torso and face. It wasn’t easy to see beyond her chair. The hint of a mother’s smile could be seen on the Shal’rein’s face, but it quickly faded away. Her eyes briefly scanned the bridge crew. Only Melody looked up from her console to see Veleshar’s face.

“Captain Shira,” Veleshar asked. “What is the status of the Lifen?”

“It stands ready for the next phase,” Shira replied.

“As is the Avastier and the Cetra. My soldiers wanted to commend the bravery of your new soldiers. It seems they were impressed by their ability to alter their tactics ... not an easy one, especially when fighting against such numbers.”

“Then it appears that more have learned a lesson in human ingenuity than expected.” Shira relaxed her back to the chair and rested her hands together.

Veleshar smiled briefly again. “You always do that ... turning an entire event into some grandiose experience.”

“It is not my goal to turn something into a theatric event, Lesser Adjunct.”

“Yet, you always do. Perhaps a lesson in defeat will help in humbling you and your crew.”

The animosity could be heard in Veleshar’s voice. It wasn’t wholly malign but more as a way to provoke some sort of response from Shira. Javier already knew enough of the competing personalities. Shira gave a mild hint of a smile, but it was extremely brief, even less than what her mother had. She didn’t cave into her antics. However, it was enough to garner a response from Samira, that frowned. Koda gave a look of surprise and annoyance. Javier wasn’t buying it. He gave a smirk to Veleshar and folded his arms as a symbol of pride.

“When do you wish to proceed?” Shira asked her.

“The Cetra is ready to commence,” Veleshar replied. “The Avastier will be in position to commence Phase 2 in four minutes.”

“Very well,” Shira tapped a few buttons on her console. “We will commence at 1346.”

“Best of luck to you, daughter.”

“Same to you.”

“Hmm ... I wonder who Gular’shel would cheer on in this battle.”

“Father never cheered and never played favorites.”

“How wrong you are ... Veleshar, out.”

The channel closed. The main view screen of the bridge was replaced with a more distant image of the Avastier as it was getting further and further away from the Lifen. The Cetra was a tiny spec on display. An overview of the entire layout was provided in the corner of the screen. This showed where Hesa was on a 2D view, including the Lifen, Avastier, and Cetra.

Javier reached over to Shira’s console and tapped two buttons. The entire ship’s comms opened up. He could be heard throughout the whole interior for the crew to listen to.

“This is your XO speaking,” Javier announced. “In three minutes, we will be operating in a training team environment. We will be engaging in rapid maneuvers and possible high-g turns. Everyone is ordered to have themselves strapped in. We will be engaging in a possible rapid detachment of the engine/habitat module section. By the CO’s orders, nobody is to be in those departments. That’ll be all.”

He ended the communication line and gave a short sigh of relief. Shira turned her head and looked up at him.

“Are you ready to take command?” she asked him.

“What?” he asked.

Her hand gestured to the console. “You are the 2nd in command of this ship. Are you prepared to engage in this scenario?”

“Of course ... we’ve had plenty of time to review...”

“Then you will have command. I will move, and you will take my seat.”

Javier wasn’t exactly pleased with the idea. “Umm ... you have me going against your mother? Isn’t there some issue to this?”

“Quite the contrary,” Shira said as she unbuckled her fasteners. She got out of her chair. “Do you know the stories created by a philosopher named Han Fei?”

He seemed to pause as he thought of it. But thankfully, his knowledge of history helped pay off. “Yes, he was an ancient Chinese writer. He wrote the book known as the Han Feizi.”

“Explain it to me as you come and strap yourself in.”

He wasn’t liking where this was going. “The stories that he wrote include the spear and shield paradox.” He went and sat down on the chair and began to strap himself in. He grabbed a mini headset and slapped it to his ear. Shira tapped a button on her headset so they would be able to talk to one another more privately. She found an adjacent seat and began to strap herself in.

“Continue...”

“The most popular story in it was about a merchant who claimed to have a spear that could penetrate any armor or defense possible. He later claimed that he had a shield that could deflect any weapon brought against it. Then the question is asked, ‘what would happen if the two items met against each other?’ In different iterations, both objects were used by opposing armies. The result was a paradox.”

“And what does this relate to the events that are about to transpire?”

She had the answer as always, and it was up to Javier to answer it. “You were originally going to command the ship during this. Veleshar is in command of her ship and will lead her fleet. I guess this is the moment that you compare both you and her as a spear and shield meeting together.”

“Precisely.” Her nostrils on her rounded snout perked up for a moment as she adjusted her tail to her seat. “Both of us are more than adequate in combat. Veleshar is versed in various strategies, planning every method in how to defeat us. I make every maneuver possible to counter the possible methods that she would create and so forth. In the end, we systematically cancel each other out. When such an action occurs, another option has to be considered. An outside source is needed. You would be more than adequate in performing this task.”

“I ... don’t mean to be pessimistic, but I’m fighting your mother. She’s one of the best that the Shal’rein clan had to offer, along with you to add to it. Commanding a ship in mundane tasks is one thing, but this ... the odds would be stacked against me.”

“It takes wisdom to acknowledge what you said, but much like those marine recruits, you must learn to adapt against great adversity.”

“Yeah, but unlike them, I only have one chance,” he remarked.

“The same argument can be used with the Jian Seng. We only had one opportunity to achieve victory. This is no different. Besides, you have less experience in commanding a ship in battle than I do. You must also learn how to adjust to new events as they are brought forth as this training exercise’s goals are meant to accomplish.”

“Ugh ... I hate it when you’re right.” He cringed. Why did he know that Shira planned to do this in the beginning? He was hoping to be witnessing all of this rather than being thrown directly into a combat scenario. The very thought of having to deal with Shira’s mother in battle...

“Do not ... fret too much,” she interrupted his thinking. “I will be here to help provide some guidance to your actions. However, you must make the decisions that will lead us to victory.”

“Very well,” he took a deep breath. A few of the enlisted were looking at him as a source of strength. He knew he had to perform his role as a leader. This was a captain’s decision, and that was an order he wasn’t allowed to complain about. A mild feeling of tension filled his senses as he began to type in on his console.

Unlike the heyday of the Jian Seng, Javier was now in much more control of the situation. For one, this was a controlled fight. He had a computer screen in front of him with status displays that showed the entire layout of the Lifen. In reality, he could have piloted the ship by himself if he wanted. The extra jobs by the other crew were only to offer alleviation for him. The rookie crew still had some light experience under their belts and weren’t completely clueless about their actions. He couldn’t argue that it was for the best to have those with less experience doing this run. Win or lose. They would gain some valuable insight into the basics of ship combat. All of it was important.

“Melody,” Javier addressed her. “Call out that the Lifen is entering a training team environment.”

“Aye, sir,” she replied. She immediately began to cue in on the intercom to the whole ship.

“Sir, the Avastier has sent their final beacon to us,” Koda said. “Thirty seconds before it hits 1345.”

“Alright...,” Javier remarked as he briefly looked at Shira. “Let’s do this...”

Each second went by, like a minute was taking place. At the same time, Javier was rehearsing what the fight would be like, every action that was going to be needed. He knew that this wasn’t going to be a perfect battle. The Avastier was parked far from the Cetra. The camera had zoomed in on the large assault carrier. Its greenish appearance didn’t hide the fact that this was the same vessel that ravaged the military base back on Aphadus. If anything, changing the name was pointless. It was the Garja and always would be.

“1345,” Koda called out. His voice tensed up. Time was up, and the scenario would finally begin.

“Sir, we have two Itrean vessels ahead of us,” Melody explained. “One is a N’jip light assault carrier identified as the ‘Cetra.’ The larger vessel is a Hiko class Heavy Assault Carrier identified as the ‘Avastier.’ Their weapons are powering up.”

“Issue a General Quarters!” Javier replied. “Koda, set course for Hesa! Take us at maximum safe cruising acceleration.”

“Aye, sir!” Koda replied. The man’s hand lit the console. A red light erupted in the interior of the Lifen.

“Orlando, power up...”

Javier’s voice was interrupted as he felt a hard jolt to his left side and neck. The Lifen’s vectoring thrusters were making the front of the ship turn in place. It was the same for the rest of the crew. It took less than twenty seconds to complete the 180-degree turn. The main display screen showed the Hesa Moon ahead of them.

“Hang on!” Koda yelled out.

It was an understatement. The straps had to work extra hard to keep the crew in place. Javier knew that Koda didn’t have the finesse that Marselle had in making turns. It was clunky but adequate. The sizeable rear thruster of the Lifen’s connected module activated. It glowed bright blue as the entire vessel began to accelerate forward. Everyone was pinned to their seats. The G-forces were intense, approaching 2 to 3gs. Koda had to adjust the ship’s heading as the vessel continued to accelerate.

“Orlando, power up our weapons,” Javier ordered. “Have ... the computer auto target any warheads that come heading our way.”

“Aye!” Orlando replied in a hoarse voice.

“Sir, I’m picking up a power surge from the Avastier,” Melody commented. “It looks like it’s disconnecting from its power and engine module.”

“Understood, any sign of movement from the Cetra?” the XO asked.

“Negative so far.”

The pressure was intense but not horrific. The human body would be at risk of passing out at 4gs. Javier had a nice rear view shot from his console. He could see that the Avastier lander had disconnected from the other leaving behind its centripetal ring and power module. The lander’s engines powered up. The outspread wings showed it doing a slight tilt as it turned towards the Lifen. Its nose was pointed directly at the UHN transport.

“Hmm...,” Shira commented. She said nothing else. Javier briefly turned so his eye could see Shira. She seemed absolutely composed. Her purple hair and tail were pushed back some, but she remained unphased. It was more than apparent that her body could withstand the g-forces significantly better than a human. It was a bad sign. This minor ability simply meant that the Itrean warships were capable of incredible acceleration. Hence they were faster than their human counterparts.

“It didn’t take long...,” Javier commented under his breath.

“Were you expecting anything different with this engagement than the prior battle with the Shal’rein scout ship?” Shira asked him.

“No, just hoping. Koda, maintain course to the left side of the moon. I’m sending you a set of coordinates. We’re going to slingshot around Hesa.”

“Aye, Sir,” Koda replied.

“Sir, the Avastier’s engines are powering up,” Melody said.

Javier could see the engines of Veleshar’s vessel glow bright blue. A range counter was on a small section of the XO’s console. Even if they had a good distance from the Lifen, the Itrean ship was gaining speed.

“How much further till we reach Hesa’s orbit?” Javier asked.

“Three minutes!” Koda said.

“Sir,” Melody explained. “The Avastier is accelerating 25% faster than the Lifen. We have about five minutes before they reach within weapon’s range.”

“We can’t push things any faster,” Javier remarked. “Maintain present course.”

The moon seemed so small on the screen, but in reality, its size was growing larger and larger. Everything was going to have to depend on the pilots to do their jobs. Otherwise, it would be a difficult battle. Javier knew that Veleshar was smart in her choice to modify the Garja into a more capable combat vessel. Its large twin torpedo launcher turret looked menacing. Its ability to target enemy ships from long range gave it a significant edge in combat.

Javier’s mind was ablaze with all the thoughts on the situation. A part of him felt overconfident in some way. The Avastier was the only ship that was pursuing them. The Cetra and the Avastier’s rear engine module had remained in place. It had become a tiny pair of green-lit specs on the display screen.

“Two minutes before we reach Hesa’s orbit,” Koda said.

A part of Javier wanted the G-forces to stop. He had to clench his ass to keep himself conscious. His augmented lungs, however, were helping him. It was the one thing that he had more control over due to the constant acceleration being pressed onto his body.

Javier turned his head at Shira. “She knows what we’re doing, doesn’t she?”

“She is expecting an ambush,” Shira said.

“Know of any possible ways she would counter our move?”

“Veleshar’s strategies are planned in advance. That is her greatest strength. However, unlike her, Gular’shel was a master tactician. His ability to make quick changes during a battle was what allowed him to survive against the Emphra. However, his ability to come up with viable long-term goals didn’t always work.”

“That almost sounds surprising to hear that.”

“My father once told me that you will always make mistakes and that he always learned from them. The real issue with this simulation is that it still limits both sides of the battle. Perhaps it is too simple.”

“One minute till we reach orbit,” Koda said.

“Roger,” Javier said. “Melody?”

“Three minutes till the Avastier reaches torpedo range,” the wispy voice replied.

“Any signs that she’s changing course?”

“No, sir.”

“Hesa will at least be able to provide some cover from the moon.”

“Hmmm...,” Shira tapped her finger on the chair. She didn’t seem to agree with Javier’s last statement.

Before Javier had a chance to respond, the Avastier’s torpedo launcher array rotated by ninety degrees to starboard. There were two flashes from the tubes. The Lifen’s computer registered something.

“I’m detecting a torpedo launch. It appears ... umm...,” Melody seemed confused.

“What is it?” Javier asked.

“It was there, but the shots disappeared from sensors. Was that a glitch?”

“I don’t detect a malfunction in the computers,” Samira added.

“That is no malfunction,” Shira added as she turned her single shark eye to the XO. “Javier, think carefully about your next set of actions.”

Concentrate ... Javier had to anticipate what his eyes saw. The Avastier fired two torpedoes, but why did they disappear from the sensors upon launch? Of course ... it had to be.

“We’re out of her target lock,” Javier commented. “She fired two FC-11 missiles. They’re ballistic cruise missiles that can cloak. Melody, tag the missile launches’ trajectory point from the data that you received. Judging by the aim, it’s heading to the other side of the moon. She knows she can’t target us, but she’s going to use those missiles like homing mines.”

“Aye, sir,” Melody nodded her head.

“Cloaking ballistic missiles?” Orlando remarked. “Shit.”

“We’ve reached orbit of Hesa,” Koda commented.

“Maintain orbit. Cut down our acceleration to 2gs,” Javier ordered. “Samira, prepare to jettison the rear engine and habitat module. Let’s hope that Veleshar takes the bait.”

The XO was watching carefully on the viewscreen. They were beginning to make a long loop around the moon. Koda was making his adjustments. There was a slight tug to the left as the transport was also slowing down. Finally, the g-forces became more bearable. As they were making the slow wrap-around, Hesa was obscuring the view of the Avastier.

“Sir,” Melody commented. “The moon is going to make it difficult for us to track the Avastier.”

“That’s alright,” Javier replied. “Samira, are you ready?”

“All set, sir,” the engineer said.

“On my command. Melody, use the tracker buoy we set up and coordinate it to Samira’s computer.”

“Working ... got it,” Melody said. “It’s all set.”

“Tracking...,” Samira’s eyes were glued to the computer. Her hands hovered over the control panel, setting in the controls. It would now be set to do it automatically.

Javier watched on the overhead display that the Lifen was about a ¼ from reaching the other side of the moon. A set of large rocks appeared. It was an asteroid belt that circulated Hesa. Trapped in its orbit, the debris was moving but stationary. He could only hope that the two pilots could perform their little miracle...


A proximity alarm erupted on Mizu’s console. The Lifen was picked up on his sensor screen. He had almost fallen asleep when his eyes went wide.

“Shit!” Mizu remarked. “Alright...” he took a deep breath to psych himself ready.

He tapped a few buttons on his controls. The shuttle’s power had fully activated. The pilot could see the Lifen’s rear module detaching on the sensor screen. The lander had jettisoned free and activated its rear engines. It was his queue to go.

“Dean, you son of a bitch, I hope you’re awake ... time to get ready,” Misu remarked.

“Huh?” Dean replied through the comms. “I’m sorry, I like ... spaced out, you know?”

“Dean, time to get going. I’m breaking the comm link so the Itreans won’t pick us up ... good luck.”

“Yeah, man ... you too...” were Dean’s words before Mizu flipped the switch and disengaged the comms. With that, Mizu lifted the control stick. Even with the low gravity of the moon, the stealth craft wobbled a little bit as it began to take off.

This would be a carefully time event that had been rehearsed often. The times in the simulator would now be brought to the ultimate test in this training exercise. The darkened hulled vessel picked up speed quickly. Small blue plumes erupted from tiny rear vents. Within seconds, Mizu lifted his joystick. The nose would make a slow adjustment away from Hesa’s surface. Blood was rushing to his feet from the ongoing acceleration. It was as if he was feeling normal gravity to twice the gravity. His body felt heavy as the straps kept him in place.

“Come on, ‘Stealth-Bro,’ hold together ... baby, hold together,” he said as he briefly looked in the vessel’s interior. A sense of tension could be felt in Mizu’s nerves.

Despite the forces being pressed against the frame, the shuttle’s hull was holding steady. At this moment, he could see the actual engine module as the Lifen lander’s engines glowed bright blue. A red dot appeared on Mizu’s visor and display. It had to be the Avastier that was closing in.

“Now...,” Mizu said. He tapped a few buttons. The shuttle’s speed had cleared the distance from Hesa’s gravitational pull. The rear vents of the stealth craft disengaged and closed up. This would leave the ship to coast directly near the Lifen’s engine module and hopefully on a course to match with the Avastier.

Mizu could hear the interior go quiet. The shuttle had turned into a black box moving through space. It would be hard to pick it up, at least, he hoped. He would make small adjustments if needed. The computer was making its calculations of the Avastier’s course.

The computer anticipated that the shuttle would be in missile range in less than a minute. He would only have one shot at this. The green underside of the assault carrier could be briefly seen from such a distance. Its massive wings and large front rounded nose were a dead giveaway. Small flashing lights would blink on and off.

“Come on ... come on...,” he said.

There was a deviation. A series of flashes erupted from the Avastier’s large twin torpedo launchers. This was followed by the side-mounted light railguns. There was a mild form of panic that Mizu felt. Had he been targeted? No ... it was the Lifen’s engine module. The sensors showed that the assault carrier had fired a small salvo directly at the beleaguered floating module.

There was a deviation in the flight path. The Avastier was making its course change. It was moving out of the way, avoiding the module. A series of vectoring thrusters had activated. It was a fat flyer making a graceful adjustment in the void of space. The small debris field of rocks was above it. It was getting closer and closer.

The computer chimed in. Mizu saw it. He was now in weapon’s range, but the Avastier hadn’t picked him up. A series of simulated flashes erupted from the engine module. On the sensors, it gave a signal that it had been ‘destroyed.’ The Stealth-Bro was zeroing in.

“Got it!” Mizu said. “Waiting for it ... and!”

The targeting lock had been made. He was thirty seconds from reaching the carrier. A red pinging sound had sounded off as a red box could be seen over the icon of the Itrean warship.

Mizu didn’t hesitate. He tapped the button and the launcher gave a brief flash. However, at the very time, there was a warning sound that erupted on his console. The Avastier’s autoguns had turned and targeted the stealth craft.

“Fuck, was I detected?” he asked. “Or did she know that I was coming?”

The sensor display showed a series of flashes from the autoguns of the Avastier. The single missile launched from his craft was destroyed instantly before it flew a few meters. In less than half a second, Mizu pulled up, but it was too late. The assault carrier’s guns had already zeroed in on him. A large red flash erupted from his console.

“Agh dammit!” Mizu cried out. He practically pressed his face to the deck of the shuttle’s interior. He knew that he had been ‘destroyed.’ The enemy carrier didn’t even take a dent from his actions.

However, one lingering question popped up while he disengaged from the fight. It was a fleeting moment on Mizu’s mind. What about Dean? He was about to get that answer...


Just before Mizu had taken off from Hesa’s surface to engage against the Avastier, on the other side of a large rock was a singular stealth craft. It was parked on the hard-jagged surface with its struts not far from a massive opening. The words “Silent-Bro” were written on its side of the ship with tan lettering. It was an exact copy of the vessel that Mizu had flown in.

Inside the stealth craft was Dean. It was filled with smoke. The ventilators were having to work overtime in help filtering out whatever was in the air. Much like Mizu, Dean was strapped down in the cockpit. He had been looking at the sensor display. The communication line between him and Mizu had been cut off.

“Whoa...,” Dean remarked. In his one hand was a smoking pipe. The burning leaves were almost cherished and worshipped by the pilot.

In front of Dean’s view was the large mineshaft that veined into the rock itself. Mining outpost ZT-191 had seen better days. It had been long abandoned. Small debris had pummeled the outside domes that connected near the entrance. While they were still intact, the signs of wear were obvious. Any vehicles that were initially present had been removed, leaving a ghost town of life. Only a few lit lights were on to serve as the wayward traveler’s warning to avoid traveling into the mines

“Oh ... this is some good Hlen’weed,” Dean commented. “Like ... really good.”

Dean felt like he was in heaven, but he knew he had to stow it. Time was being wasted. Mizu was most likely going to make his run to the Avastier.

“Well...,” Dean said in his relaxed stupor. “One more thing that I should do before I take off...,” he had dowsed his pipe. “I should have some of the best stuff that ... any man in the universe can ever have ... come here Oshunkelp-Bro!”

He fished his pocket and pulled out a tiny little bag labeled in two sentences. One was “Seashunkelp, use wisely!” and the other was “Oshunkelp-Bro, like ... only use me in emergencies!” This was even lettered with the appropriate three dots after “like.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close