A Journey in Other Worlds - Cover

A Journey in Other Worlds

Copyright© 2016 by John Jacob Astor

Chapter 7: Hard at Work

In a few moments Ayrault returned with pencils, a pair of compasses, and paper.

“Let us see, in the first place,” said Deepwaters, “how long the journey will take. Since a stone falls 16.09 feet the first second, and 64+ feet the next, it is easy to calculate at what rate your speed would increase with the repulsion twice that of the ordinary traction. But I think this would be too slow. It will be best to treble or quadruple the apergetic charge, which can easily be done, in which case your speed will exceed the muzzle-velocity of a projectile from a long-range gun, in a few seconds. As the earth’s repulsion decreases, the attraction of mars and Jupiter will increase, and, there being no resistance, your gait will become more and more rapid till it is necessary to reverse the charge to avoid being dashed to pieces or being consumed like a falling star by the friction in passing through Jupiter’s atmosphere. You can be on the safe side by checking your speed in advance. You must, of course, be careful to avoid collisions with meteors and asteroids but if you do, they will be of use to you, for by attracting or repelling them you can change your course to suit yourself, and also theirs in inverse ratio to their masses. Jupiter’s moons will be like head and stern lines in enabling you to choose the part of the surface on which you wish to land. With apergy it is as essential to have some heavy body on which to work, within range, as to have water about a ship’s propellers. Whether, when apergy is developed, gravitation is temporarily annulled, or reversed like the late attraction of a magnet when the current is changed, or whether it is merely overpowered, in which case your motion will be the resultant of the two, is an unsettled and not very important point; for, though we know but little more of the nature of electricity than was known a hundred years ago, this does not prevent our producing and using it.”

“Jupiter, when in opposition,” he continued, “is about 380,000,000 miles from us, and it takes light, which travels at the rate of 190,000 miles a second, just thirty-four minutes to reach the earth from Jupiter. If we suppose the average speed of your ship to be one- five-hundredth as great, it will take you just eleven days, nineteen hours and twenty minutes to make the journey. You will have a fine view of Mars and the asteroids, and when 1,169,000 miles from Jupiter, will cross the orbit of Callisto, the fifth moon in distance from the giant planet. That will be your best point to steer by.”

“I think,” said Ayrault, “as that will be the first member of Jupiter’s system we pass, and as it will guide us into port, it would be a good name for our ship, and you must christen her if we have her launched.”

“No, no,” said Deepwaters, “Miss Preston must do that; but we certainly should have a launch, for you might have to land in the water, and you must be sure the ship is tight.”

“Talking of tight ships,” said Bearwarden, passing a decanter of claret to Stillman, “may remind us that it is time to splice the ‘main brace.’ There’s a bottle of whisky and some water just behind you,” he added to Deepwaters, “while three minutes after I ring this bell,” he said, pressing a button and jerking a handle marked ‘8, ‘ “the champagne cocktails will be on the desk.”

“I see you know his ways,” said Stillman to Bearwarden, drooping his eyes in Deepwaters’s direction.

“Oh, yes, I’ve been here before,” replied Deepwaters. “You see, we navy men have to hustle now-a-days, and can’t pass our time in a high-backed chair, talking platitudes.”

At this moment there was a slight rumbling, and eight champagne cocktails, with the froth still on, and straws on a separate plate, shot in and landed on a corner of the desk.

“Help yourselves, gentlemen,” said Bearwarden, placing them on a table; “I hope we shall find them cold.”

“Do you know,” said Deepwaters to Ayrault, while rapidly making his cocktail disappear, “the Callisto’s cost with its outfit will be very great, especially if you use glucinum, which, though the ideal metal for the purpose, comes pretty high? I suggest that you apply to Congress for an appropriation. This experiment comes under the ‘Promotion of Science Act, ‘ and any bill for it would certainly pass.”

“No, indeed,” replied Ayrault; “the Callisto trip will be a privilege and glory I would not miss, and building her will be a part of it. I shall put in everything conducive to success, but will come to the Government only for advice.”

“I will send a letter to all our ambassadors and consuls,” said Stillman, “to telegraph the department anything they may know or learn that will be of use in adjusting the batteries, controlling the machine, or anything else, and will turn over to you in a succinct form all information that may be relevant, for without such sorting you would be overwhelmed.”

“And I,” said Deepwaters, “will order the commanders of our vessels to give you a farewell salute at starting, and to pick you up in case you fail. When you have demonstrated the suitability of apergy,” he continued, “and the habitability of Jupiter and Saturn--, which, with their five and eight moons, respectively, and rings thrown in, must both be vastly superior to our little second-rate globe--we will see what can be done towards changing our orbit, and if we cannot swing a little nearer to our new world or worlds. Then we’ll lower, or rather raise, the boats in the shape of numerous Callistos, and have a landing-party ready at each opposition, while a man or two can be placed in charge of each projectile to bring it back in ballast. Thus we may soon have regular interplanetary lines.”

“As every place seems to have been settled from some other,” said Cortlandt, “I do not see why, with increased scientific facilities, history should not repeat itself, and this be the point from which to colonize the solar system; for, for the present at least, it would seem that we could not get beyond that.”

“As it will be quite an undertaking to change the orbit, said Deepwaters, “we shall have time meanwhile to absorb or run out all inferior races, so that we shall not make the mistake of extending the Tower of Babel.”

“He is putting on his war-paint,” said Stillman, “and will soon want a planet to himself.”

“I see no necessity for even changing the orbit,” said Bearwarden, “except for the benefit of those that remain. If this attempt succeeds, it can doubtless be repeated. An increase in eccentricity would merely shorten the journey, if aphelion always coincided with opposition, which it would not.”

“Let us know how you are getting on,” said Deepwaters to Ayrault, “and be sure you have the Callisto properly christened. Step lively there, landlubbers!” he called to Stillman; “I have an appointment at Washington at one, and it is now twenty minutes past twelve. We can lunch on the way.”

Ayrault immediately advertised for bids for the construction of a glucinum cylinder twenty-five feet in diameter, fifteen feet high at the sides, with a domed roof, bringing up the total height to twenty-one feet, and with a small gutter about it to catch the rain on Jupiter or any other planet they might visit. The sides, roof, and floor were to consist of two sheets, each one third of an inch thick and six inches apart, the space between to be filled with mineral wool, as a protection against the intense cold of space. There were also to be several keels and supports underneath, on which the car should rest. Large, toughened plate-glass windows were to be let into the roof and sides, and smaller ones in the floor, all to be furnished with thick shades and curtains. Ayrault also decided to have it divided into two stories, with ceilings six and a half to seven and a half feet high, respectively, with a sort of crow’s nest or observatory at the top; the floors to be lattice- work, like those in the engine-room of a steamer, so that when the carpets were rolled up they should not greatly obstruct the view. The wide, flat base and the low centre of gravity would, he saw, be of use in withstanding the high winds that he knew often prevailed on Jupiter.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close