Uller Uprising - Cover

Uller Uprising

Copyright© 2016 by H. Beam Piper

Chapter 6: The Bad News Came After the Coffee

The last clatter of silverware and dishes ceased as the native servants finished clearing the table. There was a remaining clatter of cups and saucers; liqueur-glasses tinkled, and an occasional cigarette-lighter clicked. At the head table, the voices seemed louder.

“ ... don’t like it a millisol’s worth,” Brigadier-General Barney Mordkovitz, the Skilk military CO, was saying to the lady on his right. “They’re too confounded meek. Nowadays, nobody yells ‘Znidd suddabit!‘ at you. Nobody sticks all four thumbs in his mouth and waves his fingers. Nobody commits nuisance on the sidewalk in front of you. They just stand and look at you like a farmer looking at a turkey the week before Christmas, and that I don’t like!”

“Oh, bosh!” Jules Keaveney, the Skilk Resident-Agent, at the head of the table, exclaimed. “You soldiers are all alike--begging your pardon, General von Schlichten,” he nodded in the direction of the guest of honor. “If they don’t bow and scrape to you and get off the sidewalk to let you pass, you say they’re insolent and need a lesson. If they do, you say they’re plotting insurrection.”

“What I said,” Mordkovitz repeated, “was that I expect a certain amount of disorder, and a certain minimum show of hostility toward us from some of these geeks, to conform to what I know to be our unpopularity with many of them. When I don’t find it, I want to know why.”

“I’m inclined,” von Schlichten came to his subordinate’s support, “to agree. This sudden absence of overt hostility is disquieting. Colonel Cheng-Li,” he called on the local Intelligence officer and Constabulary chief. “This fellow Rakkeed was here, about a month ago. Was there any noticeable disorder at that time? Anti-Terran demonstrations, attacks on Company property or personnel, shooting at aircars, that sort of thing?”

“No more than usual, general. In fact, it was when Rakkeed came here that the condition General Mordkovitz was speaking of began to become conspicuous. We did catch some of Rakkeed’s disciples trying to get in among the enlisted men of the Tenth N.U.N.I. and the Fifth Zirk Cavalry and promote disaffection. That was reported at the time, sir.”

“And acted upon, as far as the civil administration would permit,” von Schlichten replied. “And I might say that Lieutenant-Governor Blount has reported from Keegark, where he is now, that the same unnatural absence of hostility exists there.”

“Well, of course, general,” Keaveney said patronizingly. “King Orgzild has things under pretty tight control at Keegark. He’d not allow a few fanatics to do anything to prejudice these spaceport negotiations.”

“I wonder if the idea back of that spaceport proposition isn’t to get us concentrated at Keegark, where Orgzild could wipe us all out in one surprise blow,” somebody down the table suggested.

“Oh, Orgzild wouldn’t be crazy enough to try anything like that,” Commander Dirk Prinsloo, of the Aldebaran, declared. “He’d get away with it for just twelve months--the time it would take to get the news to Terra and for a Federation Space Navy task-force to get here. And then, there’d be little bits of radioactive geek floating around this system as far out as the orbit of Beta Hydrae VII.”

“That’s quite true,” von Schlichten agreed. “The point is, does Orgzild know it? I doubt if he even believes there is a Terra.”

“Then where in Space does he think we come from?” Keaveney demanded.

“I believe he thinks Niflheim is our home world,” von Schlichten replied. “Or, rather, the string of orbiters and artificial satellites around Niflheim. Where he thinks Niflheim is, I wouldn’t even try to guess.”

“Well, it takes six months for a ship to go between here and Nif,” Prinsloo considered. “Because of the hyperdrive effects, the experienced time of the voyage, inside the ship, is of the order of three weeks. Taking that as the figure, he’d estimate the distance at about a quarter-million miles, assuming the velocity as being the speed of one of our contragravity-ships here on Uller. I’m assuming he doesn’t even know there is a hyperdrive.”

“Yes. After he’d wiped us out, he might even consider the idea of an invasion of Niflheim with captured contragravity ships,” Hideyoshi O’Leary chuckled. “That would be a big laugh--if any of us were alive, then, to do any laughing.”

“You don’t really believe that, general?” Keaveney asked. His tone was still derisive, but under the derision was uncertainty. After all, von Schlichten had been on Uller for fifteen years, to his two.

“Any question of geek psychology is wide open as far as I’m concerned; the longer I stay here, the less I understand it.” Von Schlichten finished his brandy and got out cigarette-case and lighter. “I have an idea of the sort of garbled reports these spies of his who spend a year on Niflheim as laborers bring back.”

“You know the line Rakkeed’s been taking, of course,” Colonel Cheng-Li put in. “He as much as says that Niflheim’s our home, and that the farms where we raise food here, and those evergreen plantings on Konk Isthmus and between here and Grank are the beginning of an attempt to drive all native life from this planet and make it over for ourselves.”

“And that savage didn’t think an idea like that up for himself; he got it from somebody like Orgzild,” the black-bearded brigadier-general added. “You know, the main base off Niflheim is practically self-supporting, with hydroponic-gardens and animal-tissue culture vats. And it’s enough bigger than one of the City ships to pass for a little world. Yes, somebody like Orgzild, or King Firkked here, could easily pick up the idea that that’s our home planet.”

“But King Kankad was talking about...” Paula Quinton began.

“We were speaking of geeks, not Kragans.” Von Schlichten lit his cigarette and held his lighter for hers. “You saw that big Beta Hydrae orrery at Kankad’s observatory. Well, there’s quite a little story about that. You know, it’s generally realized by the natives here that Uller is a globe. The North Zirks have ridden all the way around it, on hipposaur-back, in the high latitudes, and the thalassic peoples at the Equator have sailed all the five equatorial seas and portaged all the isthmuses between. But, of course, Uller is the center of the universe; the sun travels around it, on a rather complicated double-spiral track. As a theory, it explains most of what they’re able to observe, and any minor effects that don’t conform to it are just ignored. They have a model, a most ingenious affair run by clockwork, at the University of Konkrook, to show the apparent movement and position of Beta Hydrae in the sky; it does so fairly accurately.

“Well, some of our astronomers constructed this orrery, and exhibited it to a gathering of the leading native scholars, who are also the high-priests of the local religion. Sort of combined Academy of Arts and Sciences and College of Cardinals. They almost were massacred. As soon as the assembled pundits saw this thing and grasped its meaning, they began geeking and skreeking and yorking and squawking and brandishing knives--it was blasphemous, and sacrilegious, and undermined the Faith, and invalidated the whole logic-system.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close