Subspace Survivors - Cover

Subspace Survivors

Public Domain

Chapter 4

The Procyon bored on through space, at one unchanging gravity of acceleration. It may not seem, at first glance, that one gravity would result in any very high velocity; but when it is maintained steadily for days and weeks and months, it builds up to a very respectable speed. Nor was there any question of power, for the Procyon‘s atomics did not drive the ship, but merely energized the “Chaytors”--the Chaytor Effect engines that tapped the energy of the expanding universe itself.

Thus, in less than six months, the Procyon had attained a velocity almost half that of light. At the estimated mid-point of the flight the spaceship, still at one gravity of drive, was turned end-for-end; so that for the ensuing five-and-a-fraction months she would be slowing down.

A few weeks after the turnover, Adams seemed to have more time. At least, he devoted more time to the expectant mothers, even to the point of supervising Deston and Jones in the construction of a weirdly-wired device by means of which he studied and photographed the unborn child each woman bore. He said nothing, however, until Barbara made him talk.

“Listen, you egregious clam,” she said, firmly, “I know darn well I’ve been pregnant for at least seven months, and I ought to be twice this big. Our clock isn’t that far off; Carl said that by wave lengths or something it’s only about three per cent fast. And you’ve been pussyfooting and hem-hawing around all this time. Now, Uncle Andy, I want the truth. Are we in for a lot of trouble?”

“Trouble? Of course not. Certainly not. No trouble at all, my dear. Why, you’ve seen the pictures--here, look at them again ... see? Absolutely normal fetus--yours, too, Bernice. Perfect! No malformations of any kind.”

“Yes, but for what age?” Bernice asked, pointedly. “Four months, say? I see, I was exposed to a course in embryology myself, once.”

“But that’s the interesting part of it!” Adams enthused. “Fascinating! And, indubitably, supremely important. In fact, it may point out the key datum underlying the solution of our entire problem. If this zeta field is causing this seemingly peculiar biological effect, that gives us a tremendously powerful new tool, for certain time vectors in the generalized matrix become parameters. Thus, certain determinants, notably the all-important delta-prime-sub-mu, become manipulable by ... but you aren’t listening!”

“I’m listening, pops, but nothing is coming through. But thanks much, anyway. I feel a lot better, knowing I’m not going to give birth to a monster. Or are you sure, really?”

“Of course I’m sure!” Adams snapped, testily, and Barbara led Deston aside.

“Have you got the slightest idea of what he was talking about?” she asked.

“Just the slightest, if any. Either that time is relative--no, that’s so elementary he wouldn’t mention it. Maybe he’s figured out a variable time of some kind or other. Anyway, you girls’ slowness in producing has given the old boy a big lift, and I’m mighty glad of it.”

“But aren’t you worried, sweetheart? Not even the least little bit?”

“Of course not,” and Deston very evidently meant just that.

“I am. I can’t help but be. Why aren’t you?”

“Because Doc isn’t, and he knows his stuff, believe me. He can’t lie any better than a three-year-old, and he’s sure that all four of you are just as safe as though you were in God’s lefthand hip pocket.”

“Oh--that’s right. I never thought of it that way. So I don’t have anything to worry about, do I?” She lifted her lips to be kissed; and the kiss was long and sweet.


Time flew past until, one day a couple of weeks short of arrival, Adams rushed up to Deston and Jones. “I have it!” he shouted, and began to spout a torrent of higher--very much higher--mathematics.

“Hold it, Doc!” Deston held up an expostulatory hand. “I read you zero and ten. Can’t you delouse your signal? Whittle the stuff down to our size?”

“W-e-l-l-,” the scientist looked hurt, but did consent to forego the high math. “The discharge is catastrophic; in energy equivalent something of the order of magnitude of ten thousand discharges of lightning. And, unfortunately, I do not know what it is. It is virtually certain, however, that we will be able to dissipate it in successive decrements by the use of long, thin leads extending downward toward a high point of the planet.”

“Wire, you mean? What kind?”

“The material is not important except in that it should have sufficient tensile strength to support as many miles as possible of its own length.”

“We’ve got dozens of coils of hook-up wire,” Deston said, “but not too many miles and it’s soft stuff.”

Graham wire!” Jones snapped his finger.

“Of course,” Deston agreed. “Hundreds of miles of it. Float the senser down on a Hotchkiss--”

“Tear-out.” Jones objected.

“Bailey it--spidered out to twenty or so big, flat feet. That’ll take metal, but we can cannibal the whole Middle without weakening the structure.”

“Sure ... surges--backlash. Remote it.”

“Check. Remote everything to Baby Two, and--”

“Would you mind delousing your signal?” Adams asked, caustically.

“‘Scuse, please, Doc. A guy does talk better in his own lingo, doesn’t he? Well, Graham wire is one-point-three-millimeter-diameter, ultra-high-tensile steel wire. Used for re-wrapping the Grahams, you know.”

“No, I don’t know. What are Grahams?”

“Why, they’re the intermediates between the Chaytors ... O. K., O. K., they’re something like bottles, that have to stand terrifically high pressures.”

“That’s what I want to know. Such wire will do very nicely. Note now that our bodies must be grounded very thoroughly to the metal of the ship.”

“You’re so right. We’ll wrap the girls in silver-mesh underwear up to the eyeballs, and run leads as big as my wrist to the frame.”


The approach was made, and the fourth planet out from that strange sun was selected as a ground. That planet was not at all like Earth. It had very little water, very little atmosphere, and very little vegetation. It was twice as massive as Earth; its surface was rugged and jagged; one of its stupendous mountain ranges had sharp peaks more than forty thousand feet high.

“There’s one thing more we must do,” Adams said. “I have barely begun to study this zeta field, and this one may very well be unique--irreplaceable. We must, therefore, launch all the lifecraft--except Number Two, of course--into separate orbits around this sun, so that a properly-staffed and properly-equipped expedition can study it.”

“Your proper expedition might get its pants burned off, too.”

“There is always that possibility; but I will insist on being assigned to the project. This information, young man, is necessary.”

“O. K., Doc,” and it was done; and in a few days the Procyon hung motionless, a good five hundred miles high, directly above the highest, sharpest mountain peak they had been able to find.

The Bailey boom, with its spider-web-like network of grounding cables and with a large pulley at its end, extended two hundred feet straight out from the side of the ship. A twenty-five-mile coil of Graham wire was mounted on the remote-controlled Hotchkiss reel. The end of the wire was run out over the pulley; a fifteen-pound weight, to act both as a “senser” and to keep the wire from fouling, was attached; and a few hundred feet of wire were run out.

Then, in Lifecraft Two--as far away from the “business district” as they could get--the human bodies were grounded and Deston started the reel. The wire ran out--and ran--and ran--and ran. The full twenty-five miles were paid out, and still nothing happened. Then, very slowly, Deston let the big ship move straight downward. Until, finally, it happened.

There was a blast beside which the most terrific flash of lightning ever seen on Earth would have seemed like a firecracker. In what was almost a vacuum though she was, the whole immense mass of the Procyon was hurled upward like the cork out of a champagne bottle. And as for what it felt like--since the five who experienced it could never describe it, even to each other, it is obviously indescribable by or to anyone else. As Bernice said long afterward, when she was being pressed by a newsman: “Just tell ‘em it was the living end,” and that is as good a description as any.

The girls were unwrapped from their silver-mesh cocoons and, after a minute or so of semihysterics, were as good as new. Then Deston stared into the ‘scope and gulped. Without saying a word he waved a hand and the others looked. It seemed as though the entire tip of the mountain was gone; had become a seething, flaming volcano on a world that had known no volcanism[3] for hundreds of thousands of years.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close