Project Mastodon - Cover

Project Mastodon

Public Domain

Chapter 6

The helicopter would never fly again, but the time unit was intact.

Which didn’t mean that it would work.

They held a powwow at their camp site. It had been, they decided, simpler to move the camp than to remove the body of Old Buster. So they had shifted at dawn, leaving the old mastodon still sprawled across the helicopter.

In a day or two, they knew, the great bones would be cleanly picked by the carrion birds, the lesser cats, the wolves and foxes and the little skulkers.

Getting the time unit out of the helicopter had been quite a chore, but they finally had managed and now Adams sat with it cradled in his lap.

“The worst of it,” he told them, “is that I can’t test it. There’s no way to. You turn it on and it works or it doesn’t work. You can’t know till you try.”

“That’s something we can’t help,” Cooper replied. “The problem, seems to me, is how we’re going to use it without the whirlybird.”

“We have to figure out some way to get up in the air,” said Adams. “We don’t want to take the chance of going up into the twentieth century and arriving there about six feet underground.”

“Common sense says that we should be higher here than up ahead,” Hudson pointed out. “These hills have stood here since Jurassic times. They probably were a good deal higher then and have weathered down. That weathering still should be going on. So we should be higher here than in the twentieth century--not much, perhaps, but higher.”

“Did anyone ever notice what the altimeter read?” asked Cooper.

“I don’t believe I did,” Adams admitted.

“It wouldn’t tell you, anyhow,” Hudson declared. “It would just give our height then and now--and we were moving, remember--and what about air pockets and relative atmosphere density and all the rest?”

Cooper looked as discouraged as Hudson felt.

“How does this sound?” asked Adams. “We’ll build a platform twelve feet high. That certainly should be enough to clear us and yet small enough to stay within the range of the unit’s force-field.”

“And what if we’re two feet higher here?” Hudson pointed out.

“A fall of fourteen feet wouldn’t kill a man unless he’s plain unlucky.”

“It might break some bones.”

“So it might break some bones. You want to stay here or take a chance on a broken leg?”

“All right, if you put it that way. A platform, you say. A platform out of what?”

“Timber. There’s lot of it. We just go out and cut some logs.”

“A twelve-foot log is heavy. And how are we going to get that big a log uphill?”

“We drag it.”

“We try to, you mean.”

“Maybe we could fix up a cart,” said Adams, after thinking a moment.

“Out of what?” Cooper asked.

“Rollers, maybe. We could cut some and roll the logs up here.”

“That would work on level ground,” Hudson said. “It wouldn’t work to roll a log uphill. It would get away from us. Someone might get killed.”

“The logs would have to be longer than twelve feet, anyhow,” Cooper put in. “You’d have to set them in a hole and that takes away some footage.”

“Why not the tripod principle?” Hudson offered. “Fasten three logs at the top and raise them.”

“That’s a gin-pole, a primitive derrick. It’d still have to be longer than twelve feet. Fifteen, sixteen, maybe. And how are we going to hoist three sixteen-foot logs? We’d need a block and tackle.”

“There’s another thing,” said Cooper. “Part of those logs might just be beyond the effective range of the force-field. Part of them would have to--have to, mind you--move in time and part couldn’t. That would set up a stress...”

“Another thing about it,” added Hudson, “is that we’d travel with the logs. I don’t want to come out in another time with a bunch of logs flying all around me.”

“Cheer up,” Adams told them. “Maybe the unit won’t work, anyhow.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close