Project Mastodon
Chapter 10

Public Domain

The two hunters trudged homeward late in the afternoon, with a deer slung from a pole they carried on their shoulders. Their breath hung visibly in the air as they walked along, for the frost had come and any day now, they knew, there would be snow.

“I’m worried about Wes,” said Cooper, breathing heavily. “He’s taking this too hard. We got to keep an eye on him.”

“Let’s take a rest,” panted Hudson.

They halted and lowered the deer to the ground.

“He blames himself too much,” said Cooper. He wiped his sweaty forehead. “There isn’t any need to. All of us walked into this with our eyes wide open.”

“He’s kidding himself and he knows it, but it gives him something to go on. As long as he can keep busy with all his puttering around, he’ll be all right.”

“He isn’t going to repair the time unit, Chuck.”

“I know he isn’t. And he knows it, too. He hasn’t got the tools or the materials. Back in the workshop, he might have a chance, but here he hasn’t.”

“It’s rough on him.”

“It’s rough on all of us.”

“Yes, but we didn’t get a brainstorm that marooned two old friends in this tail end of nowhere. And we can’t make him swallow it when we say that it’s okay, we don’t mind at all.”

“That’s a lot to swallow, Johnny.”

“What’s going to happen to us, Chuck?”

“We’ve got ourselves a place to live and there’s lots to eat. Save our ammo for the big game--a lot of eating for each bullet--and trap the smaller animals.”

“I’m wondering what will happen when the flour and all the other stuff is gone. We don’t have too much of it because we always figured we could bring in more.”

“We’ll live on meat,” said Hudson. “We got bison by the million. The plains Indians lived on them alone. And in the spring, we’ll find roots and in the summer berries. And in the fall, we’ll harvest a half-dozen kinds of nuts.”

“Some day our ammo will be gone, no matter how careful we are with it.”

“Bows and arrows. Slingshots. Spears.”

“There’s a lot of beasts here I wouldn’t want to stand up to with nothing but a spear.”

“We won’t stand up to them. We’ll duck when we can and run when we can’t duck. Without our guns, we’re no lords of creation--not in this place. If we’re going to live, we’ll have to recognize that fact.”

“And if one of us gets sick or breaks a leg or--”

“We’ll do the best we can. Nobody lives forever.”

But they were talking around the thing that really bothered them, Hudson told himself--each of them afraid to speak the thought aloud.

They’d live, all right, so far as food, shelter and clothing were concerned. And they’d live most of the time in plenty, for this was a fat and open-handed land and a man could make an easy living.

But the big problem--the one they were afraid to talk about--was their emptiness of purpose. To live, they had to find some meaning in a world without society.

A man cast away on a desert isle could always live for hope, but here there was no hope. A Robinson Crusoe was separated from his fellow-humans by, at the most, a few thousand miles. Here they were separated by a hundred and fifty thousand years.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close