Project Mastodon
Chapter 11

Public Domain

The crash brought Gen. Leslie Bowers (ret.) up out of bed--about two feet out of bed--old muscles tense, white mustache bristling.

Even at his age, the general was a man of action. He flipped the covers back, swung his feet out to the floor and grabbed the shotgun leaning against the wall.

Muttering, he blundered out of the bedroom, marched across the dining room and charged into the kitchen. There, beside the door, he snapped on the switch that turned on the floodlights. He practically took the door off its hinges getting to the stoop and he stood there, bare feet gripping the planks, nightshirt billowing in the wind, the shotgun poised and ready.

“What’s going on out there?” he bellowed.

There was a tremendous pile of rocks resting where he’d parked his car. One crumpled fender and a drunken headlight peeped out of the rubble.

A man was clambering carefully down the jumbled stones, making a detour to dodge the battered fender.

The general pulled back the hammer of the gun and fought to control himself.

The man reached the bottom of the pile and turned around to face him. The general saw that he was hugging something tightly to his chest.

“Mister,” the general told him, “your explanation better be a good one. That was a brand-new car. And this was the first time I was set for a night of sleep since my tooth quit aching.”

The man just stood and looked at him.

“Who in thunder are you?” roared the general.

The man walked slowly forward. He stopped at the bottom of the stoop.

“My name is Wesley Adams,” he said. “I’m--”

“Wesley Adams!” howled the general. “My God, man, where have you been all these years?”

“Well, I don’t imagine you’ll believe me, but the fact is...”

“We’ve been waiting for you. For twenty-five long years! Or, rather, I’ve been waiting for you. Those other idiots gave up. I’ve waited right here for you, Adams, for the last three years, ever since they called off the guard.”

Adams gulped. “I’m sorry about the car. You see, it was this way...”

The general, he saw, was beaming at him fondly.

“I had faith in you,” the general said.

He waved the shotgun by way of invitation. “Come on in. I have a call to make.”

Adams stumbled up the stairs.

“Move!” the general ordered, shivering. “On the double! You want me to catch my death of cold out here?”

Inside, he fumbled for the lights and turned them on. He laid the shotgun across the kitchen table and picked up the telephone.

“Give me the White House at Washington,” he said. “Yes, I said the White House ... The President? Naturally he’s the one I want to talk to ... Yes, it’s all right. He won’t mind my calling him.”

“Sir,” said Adams tentatively.

The general looked up. “What is it, Adams? Go ahead and say it.”

“Did you say twenty-five years?”

“That’s what I said. What were you doing all that time?”

Adams grasped the table and hung on. “But it wasn’t...”

“Yes,” said the general to the operator. “Yes, I’ll wait.”

He held his hand over the receiver and looked inquiringly at Adams. “I imagine you’ll want the same terms as before.”

“Terms?”

“Sure. Recognition. Point Four Aid. Defense pact.”

“I suppose so,” Adams said.

“You got these saps across the barrel,” the general told him happily. “You can get anything you want. You rate it, too, after what you’ve done and the bonehead treatment you got--but especially for not selling out.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close