Falcons of Narabedla - Cover

Falcons of Narabedla

Public Domain

Chapter 9: The Return of Adric

Back in the windowless house, we snatched a hurried meal, cared for our slashed cuts, and tried to plan further. The others had not been idle while we fought the falcons. All day Narayan’s vaunted army had been accumulating, I could hardly say assembling, in that great bowl of land between Narabedla and the Dreamer’s Keep. There were perhaps four thousand men, armed with clumsy powder weapons, with worn swords that looked as if they had been long buried, with pitchforks, scythes, even with rude clubs viciously knobbed. I had been put to it to conceal my contempt for this ragtag and bobtail of an army. And Narayan proposed to storm Rainbow City--with this! I was flabbergasted at the confidence these men had in their young leader. So much the better, I thought, take him from them and they’ll scatter to their rat-holes and crofts again! I felt my lips twisting in a bitter smile. They trusted Adric, too. When I had shown myself to them, their shouts had made the very trees echo. Well--again the ironic smile came unbidden, that was just as well, too. When Narayan was re-prisoned, I could use the power of their lost leader to tear down what he himself had built. The thought was exquisitely funny.

“What are you laughing about,” Narayan asked. We were lounging on the steps of the house, watching the men thronging around the camp. His slumberous grey eyes held deep sparks of fire, and without waiting for my answer he went on, “Think of it! The curse of the Dreamer’s magic lifted--what would it mean to this land, Adric? It means life--hope--for millions of people!”

In a way, Narayan was right. I could remember when I had shared that dream; when it had seemed somehow more worthy than a dream of personal power. Cynara came down the steps, bent and slipped her soft arms around my shoulder, and I drew her down. A volcano of hate so great I must turn my face away burned up in me. This man was my equal--no, I admitted grudgingly, my superior--and I hated him for it. I hated him because I knew that in his dream of power no one must suffer. I hated him because, once, I had been weak enough to share his feelings.

I said abruptly, “Your plans are good, Narayan. There’s just one thing wrong with them; they won’t work. Storming Rainbow City won’t get you anywhere. You could kill Karamy’s slaves by the thousands, or the millions, or the billions. But you couldn’t kill Karamy, and you’d only leave her free to enslave others. You’ve got to strike at them when they’re in the Dreamer’s Keep. When the Dreamers wake is the only moment when they are vulnerable.”

“But how can we get to the Dreamer’s Keep, Adric? They go guarded a hundred times over, there.”

“What’s your army for?” I asked him roughly, “To knock down hay-cocks? Send your men to chase off the guards. I told you I could handle Rhys, if it came to that. He’ll get us through to the Dreamer’s Keep, if need be.”

“What about Gamine?” Cynara asked practically. Gamine was the least of my worries, but I did not tell Cynara that. I listened to their comments and suggestions a little contemptuously. Didn’t they know that when the Dreamers woke, the Narabedlans were vulnerable--to the Dreamers alone? If I were there with Narayan, there was no question about who would win.

Cynara scowled at the rip of talons across my face. “You’re hurt and you never told me!” she accused. “Come this minute and let me take care of it!” I almost laughed. Me--Adric of the Crimson Tower--being ordered around by a little country girl! I snorted, but spoke pleasantly. “I’ll live, I expect. Come and sit here with us.” I pulled her down at my side, but she leaned her head on her brother’s knee, an unquietness in her face. She was a pretty thing, although the cause of all my troubles. When I redeemed her from Karamy’s slaves, for a whim, I had not known she was Narayan’s sister--Zandru’s hells, but I had made a ghastly slip! I had told Narayan there was no help for those touched by the birds, when I myself had redeemed his own sister! Had he noticed? Would he attribute it to Karamy’s meddling with my mind? I smothered an exclamation, and Cynara and Narayan looked up anxiously. “You are hurt, Adric!”

I shook my head. I fancied Narayan looking at me with suspicion, but I controlled myself. I reached out to draw Cynara to me, but she had drawn back, rising lithely to her feet, like a dove poised for flight; only her hands, small darting hands like candle-flames, remained in mine to pull me lightly to my feet. I tried to hold her, but she protested, “There is so much to be done--” and I raised the slim hands to my lips before I let her go. The gesture pleased her, I could see; so much that I watched with contempt as she tripped away. Silly, simple girl! It would please her!

In the end it was only Narayan and Cynara who rode with me to Rainbow City. Kerrel had taken the army, in sections, to set an ambush for Karamy’s guards; we rode in the opposite direction, by a twisting side road. Cynara rode beside me, her dark eyes glowing. There was dainty witchery in Cynara, and a pretty trust that made me smile and promise recklessly, “We will win.” It pleased me to think that I could comfort Cynara for her brother’s downfall. Once conditioned to Rainbow City, she would forget her silly fancies and be a fair and lovely comrade. If she continued to please me, it would be amusing to see this unformed country girl wield the power that had belonged to Karamy the Golden!

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close