Starman's Quest - Cover

Starman's Quest

Public Domain

Chapter 1

The sound of the morning alarm rang out, four loud hard clear gong-clangs, and all over the great starship Valhalla the men of the Crew rolled out of their bunks to begin another day. The great ship had travelled silently through the endless night of space while they slept, bringing them closer and closer to the mother world, Earth. The Valhalla was on the return leg of a journey to Alpha Centauri.

But one man aboard the starship had not waited for the morning alarm. For Alan Donnell the day had begun several hours before. Restless, unable to sleep, he had quietly slipped from his cabin in the fore section, where the unmarried Crewmen lived, and had headed forward to the main viewscreen, in order to stare at the green planet growing steadily larger just ahead.

He stood with his arms folded, a tall red-headed figure, long-legged, a little on the thin side. Today was his seventeenth birthday.

Alan adjusted the fine controls on the viewscreen and brought Earth into sharper focus. He tried to pick out the continents on the planet below, struggling to remember his old history lessons. Tutor Henrich would not be proud of him, he thought.

That’s South America down there, he decided, after rejecting the notion that it might be Africa. They had pretty much the same shape, and it was so hard to remember what Earth’s continents looked like when there were so many other worlds. But that’s South America. And so that’s North America just above it. The place where I was born.

Then the 0800 alarm went off, the four commanding gongs that Alan always heard as It’s! Time! Wake! Up! The starship began to stir into life. As Alan drew out his Tally and prepared to click off the start of a new day, he felt a strong hand firmly grasp his shoulder.

“Morning, son.”

Alan turned from the viewscreen. He saw the tall, gaunt figure of his father standing behind him. His father--and the Valhalla’s captain.

“Good rising, Captain.”

Captain Donnell eyed him curiously. “You’ve been up a while, Alan. I can tell. Is there something wrong?”

“Just not sleepy, that’s all,” Alan said.

“You look troubled about something.”

“No, Dad--I’m not,” he lied. To cover his confusion he turned his attention to the little plastic gadget he held in his hand--the Tally. He punched the stud; the register whirred and came to life.

He watched as the reading changed. The black-on-yellow dials slid forward from Year 16 Day 365 to Year 17 Day 1.

As the numbers dropped into place his father said, “It’s your birthday, is it? Let it be a happy one!”

“Thanks, Dad. You know, it’ll feel fine to have a birthday on Earth!”

The Captain nodded. “It’s always good to come home, even if we’ll have to leave again soon. And this will be the first time you’ve celebrated your birthday on your native world in--three hundred years, Alan.”

Grinning, Alan thought, Three hundred? No, not really. Out loud he said, “You know that’s not right, Dad. Not three hundred years. Just seventeen.” He looked out at the slowly-spinning green globe of Earth.

“When on Earth, do as the Earthers do,” the Captain said. “That’s an old proverb of that planet out there. The main vault of the computer files says you were born in 3576, unless I forget. And if you ask any Earther what year this is he’ll tell you it’s 3876. 3576-3876--that’s three hundred years, no?” His eyes twinkled.

“Stop playing games with me, Dad.” Alan held forth his Tally. “It doesn’t matter what the computer files say. Right here it says Year 17 Day 1, and that’s what I’m going by. Who cares what year it is on Earth? This is my world!”

“I know, Alan.”

Together they moved away from the viewscreen; it was time for breakfast, and the second gongs were sounding. “I’m just teasing, son. But that’s the sort of thing you’ll be up against if you leave the Starmen’s Enclave--the way your brother did.”

Alan frowned and his stomach went cold. He wished the unpleasant topic of his brother had not come up. “You think there’s any chance Steve will come back, this time down? Will we be in port long enough for him to find us?”

Captain Donnell’s face clouded. “We’re going to be on Earth for almost a week,” he said in a suddenly harsh voice. “That’s ample time for Steve to rejoin us, if he cares to. But I don’t imagine he’ll care to. And I don’t know if I want very much to have him back.”

He paused outside the handsomely-panelled door of his private cabin, one hand on the thumb-plate that controlled entrance. His lips were set in a tight thin line. “And remember this, Alan,” he said. “Steve’s not your twin brother any more. You’re only seventeen, and he’s almost twenty-six. He’ll never be your twin again.”

With sudden warmth the captain squeezed his son’s arm. “Well, better get up there to eat, Alan. This is going to be a busy day for all of us.”

He turned and went into the cabin.

Alan moved along the wide corridor of the great ship toward the mess hall in Section C, thinking about his brother. It had been only about six weeks before, when the Valhalla had made its last previous stop on Earth, that Steve had decided to jump ship.

The Valhalla’s schedule had called for them to spend two days on Earth and then leave for Alpha Centauri with a load of colonists for Alpha C IV. A starship’s time is always scheduled far in advance, with bookings planned sometimes for decades Earthtime by the Galactic Trade Commission.

When blastoff time came for the Valhalla, Steve had not reported back from the Starmen’s Enclave where all Spacers lived during in-port stays.

Alan’s memories of the scene were still sharp. Captain Donnell had been conducting check-off, making sure all members of the Crew had reported back and were aboard. This was a vital procedure; in case anyone were accidentally left behind, it would mean permanent separation from his friends and family.

He had reached the name Donnell, Steve. No answer came. Captain Donnell called his name a second time, then a third. A tense silence prevailed in the Common Room of the starship, where the Crew was assembled.

Finally Alan made himself break the angry silence. “He’s not here, Dad. And he’s not coming back,” he said in a hesitant voice. And then he had had to explain to his father the whole story of his unruly, aggressive twin brother’s plan to jump ship--and how Steve had tried to persuade him to leave the Valhalla too.

Steve had been weary of the endless shuttling from star to star, of forever ferrying colonists from one place to another without ever standing on the solid ground of a planet yourself for more than a few days here, a week there.

Alan had felt tired of it too--they all did, at some time or another--but he did not share his twin’s rebellious nature, and he had not gone over the hill with Steve.

Alan remembered his father’s hard, grim expression as he had been told the story. Captain Donnell’s reaction had been curt, immediate, and thoroughly typical: he had nodded, closed the roll book, and turned to Art Kandin, the Valhalla’s First Officer and the Captain’s second-in-command.

“Remove Crewman Donnell from the roster,” he had snapped. “All other hands are on board. Prepare for blastoff.”

Within the hour the flaming jets of the Valhalla’s planetary drive had lifted the great ship from Earth. They had left immediately for Alpha Centauri, four and a half light-years away. The round trip had taken the Valhalla just six weeks.

During those six weeks, better than nine years had passed on Earth.

Alan Donnell was seventeen years old.

His twin brother Steve was now twenty-six.


“Happy rising, Alan,” called a high, sharp voice as he headed past the blue-painted handholds of Gravity Deck 12 on his way toward the mess hall.

Startled, he glanced up, and then snorted in disgust as he saw who had hailed him. It was Judy Collier, a thin, stringy-haired girl of about fourteen whose family had joined the Crew some five ship-years back. The Colliers were still virtual newcomers to the tight group on the ship--the family units tended to remain solid and self-contained--but they had managed to fit in pretty well by now.

“Going to eat?” she asked.

“Right enough,” said Alan, continuing to walk down the plastifoam-lined corridor. She tagged along a step or two behind him.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close