Starman's Quest - Cover

Starman's Quest

Public Domain

Chapter 3

The Valhalla touched down on Earth at 1753 on the nose, to nobody’s very great surprise. Captain Mark Donnell had not missed schedule once in his forty ship years in space, which covered a span of over a thousand years of Earth’s history.

Landing procedure was rigidly set. The Crew debarked by family, in order of signing-on; the only exception to the order was Alan. As a member of the Captain’s family--the only other member, now--he had to wait till the rest of the ship was cleared. But his turn came eventually.

“Solid ground again, Rat!” They stood on the jet-fused dirt field where the Valhalla had landed. The great golden-hulled starship was reared up on its tail, with its huge landing buttresses flaring out at each side to keep it propped up.

“Solid for you, maybe,” Rat said. “But the trip’s just as wobbly as ever for me, riding up here on your shoulder.”

Captain Donnell’s shrill whistle sounded, and he cupped his hands to call out, “The copters are here!”

Alan watched the little squadron of gray jetcopters settle to the ground, rotors slowing, and headed forward along with the rest of the Crew. The copters would take them from the bare landing field of the spaceport to the Enclave, where they would spend the next six days.

The Captain was supervising the loading of the copters. Alan sauntered over to him.

“Where to, son?”

“I’m scheduled to go over in Copter One.”

“Uh-uh. I’ve changed the schedule.” Captain Donnell turned away and signalled to the waiting crew members. “Okay, go ahead and fill up Copter One!”

They filed aboard. “Everyone get back,” the Captain yelled. A tentative chugg-chuff came from the copter; its rotors went round and it lifted, stood poised for a moment on its jetwash, and shot off northward toward the Starmen’s Enclave.

“What’s this about a change in schedule, Dad?”

“I want you to ride over with me in the two-man copter. Kandin took your place aboard Copter One. Let’s go now,” he shouted to the next group. “Start loading up Number Two.”

The Crewmen began taking their places aboard the second copter, and soon its pilot signalled through the fore window that he was loaded up. The copter departed. Seeing that he would be leaving the field last, Alan made himself useful by keeping the younger Crew children from wandering.

At last the field was cleared. Only Alan and his father remained, with the little two-man copter and the tall gleaming Valhalla behind them.

“Let’s go,” the Captain said. They climbed in, Alan strapping himself down in the co-pilot’s chair and his father back of the controls.

“I never see much of you these days,” the Captain said after they were aloft. “Running the Valhalla seems to take twenty-four hours a day.”

“I know how it is,” Alan said.

After a while Captain Donnell said, “I see you’re still reading that Cavour book.” He chuckled. “Still haven’t given up the idea of finding the hyperdrive, have you?”

“You know I haven’t, Dad. I’m sure Cavour really did work it out, before he disappeared. If we could only discover his notebook, or even a letter or something that could get us back on the trail--”

“It’s been thirteen hundred years since Cavour disappeared, Alan. If nothing of his has turned up in all that time, it’s not likely ever to show. But I hope you keep at it, anyway.” He banked the copter and cut the jets; the rotors took over and gently lowered the craft to the distant landing field.

Alan looked down and out at the heap of buildings becoming visible below. The crazy quilt of outdated, clumsy old buildings that was the local Starmen’s Enclave.

He felt a twinge of surprise at his father’s words. The Captain had never shown any serious interest in the possibility of faster-than-light travel before. He had always regarded the whole idea as sheer fantasy.

“I don’t get it, Dad. Why do you hope I keep at it? If I ever find what I’m looking for, it’s going to mean the end of Starman life as you know it. Travel between planets will be instantaneous. There--there won’t be this business of making jumps and getting separated from everyone you used to know.”

“You’re right. I’ve just begun thinking seriously about this business of hyperdrive. There wouldn’t be any Contraction effect. Think of the changes it would mean in Starman society! No more--no more permanent separations if someone decides to leave his ship for a while.”

Alan understood what his father meant. Suddenly he saw the reason for Captain Donnell’s abrupt growth of interest in the development of a hyperdrive.

It’s Steve that’s on his mind, Alan thought. If we had had a hyperspace drive and Steve had done what he did, it wouldn’t have mattered. He’d still be my age.

Now the Valhalla was about to journey to Procyon. Another twenty years would pass before it got back, and Steve would be almost fifty by then.

That’s what’s on his mind, Alan thought. He lost Steve forever--but he doesn’t want any more Steves to happen. The Contraction took one of his sons away. And now he wants the hyperdrive as much as I do.

Alan glanced at the stiff, erect figure of his father as they clambered out of the copter and headed at a fast clip toward the Administration Building of the Enclave. He wondered just how much pain and anguish his father was keeping hidden back of that brisk, efficient exterior.

I’ll get the Cavour drive someday, Alan thought suddenly. And I’ll be getting it for him as well as me.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close