Brood of the Dark Moon - Cover

Brood of the Dark Moon

Public Domain

Chapter 3: Out of Control

Walter Harkness had built this ship with Chet’s help. They had designed it for space-travel. It was the first ship to leave the Earth under its own power, reach another heavenly body, and come back for a safe landing. But they had not installed any luxuries for the passengers.

In the room where the three were confined, there were no self-compensating chairs such as the high-liners used. But the acceleration of the speeding ship was constant, and the rear wall became their floor where they sat or paced back and forth. Their bonds had been removed, and one of Harkness’ hands was gripping Diane’s where they sat side by side. Chet was briskly limbering his cramped muscles.

He glanced at the two who sat silent nearby, and he knew what was in their minds--knew that each was thinking of the other, forgetting their own danger; and it was these two who had saved his life on their first adventure out in space.

Walt--one man who was never spoiled by his millions; and Diane--straight and true as they make ‘em! Some way, somehow, they must be saved--thus ran his thoughts--but it looked bad for them all. Schwartzmann?--no use kidding themselves about that lad; he was one bad hombre. The best they could hope for was to be marooned on the Dark Moon--left there to live or to die amid those savage surroundings; and the worst that might happen--! But Chet refused to think of what alternatives might occur to the ugly, distorted mind of the man who had them at his mercy.

There was no echo of these thoughts when he spoke; the smile that flashed across his lean face brought a brief response from the despondent countenances of his companions.

“Well,” Chet observed, and ran his hand through a tangle of blond hair, “I have heard that the Schwartzmann lines give service, and I reckon I heard right. Here we were wanting to go back to the Dark Moon, and,”--he paused to point toward a black portlight where occasional lights flashed past--”I’ll say we’re going; going somewhere at least. All I hope is that that Maxie boy doesn’t find the Dark Moon at about ten thousand per. He may be a great little skipper on a nice, slow, five-hundred-maximum freighter, but not on this boat. I don’t like his landings.”


Diane Delacouer raised her eyes to smile approvingly upon him. “You’re good, Chet,” she said; “you are a darn good sport. They knock you down out of control, and you nose right back up for a forty-thousand foot zoom. And you try to carry us with you. Well, I guess it’s time we got over our gloom. Now what is going to happen?”

“I’ll tell you,” said Walter Harkness, looking at his watch: “if that fool pilot of Schwartzmann’s doesn’t cut his stern thrust and build up a bow resistance, we’ll overshoot our mark and go tearing on a few hundred thousand miles in space.”

Diane was playing up to Chet’s lead.

“Bien!” she exclaimed. “A few million, perhaps! Then we may see some of those Martians we’ve been speculating about. I hear they are handsome, my Walter--much better looking than you. Maybe this is all for the best after all!”

“Say,” Harkness protested, “if you two idiots don’t know enough to worry as you ought, I don’t see any reason why I should do all the heavy worrying for the whole crowd. I guess you’ve got the right idea at that: take what comes when it gets here--or when we get there.”

Small wonder, thought Chet, that Herr Schwartzmann stared at them in puzzled bewilderment when he flung open the door, and took one long stride into the room. Stocky, heavy-muscled, he stood regarding them, a frown of suspicion drawing his face into ugly lines. Plainly he was disturbed by this laughing good-humor where he had expected misery and hopelessness and tears. He moved the muzzle of a detonite pistol back and forth.


“You haff been drinking!” he stated at last. “You are intoxicated--all of you!” His eyes darted searching glances about the little room that was too bare to hide any cause for inebriation.

It was Mam’selle Diane who answered him with an emphatic shake of her dark head; an engaging smile tugged at the corners of her lips. “Mais non! my dear Herr Schwartzmann,” she assured him; “it is joy--just happiness at again approaching our Moon--and in such good company, too.”

“Fortunes of war, Schwartzmann,” declared Harkness; “we know how to accept them, and we don’t hold it against you. We are down now, but your turn will come.”

The man’s reply was a sputtering of rage in words that neither Chet nor Harkness could understand. The latter turned to the girl with a question.

“Did you get it, Diane? What did he say?”

“I think I would not care to translate it literally,” said Diane Delacouer, twisting her soft mouth into an expression of distaste; “but, speaking generally, he disagrees with you.”

Herr Schwartzmann was facing Harkness belligerently. “You think you know something! What is it?” he demanded. “You are under my feet; I kick you as I would meinen Hund and you can do nothing.” He aimed a savage kick into the air to illustrate his meaning, and Harkness’ face flushed suddenly scarlet.


Whatever retort was on Harkness’ tongue was left unspoken; a sharp look from Chet, who brought his fingers swiftly to his lips in a gesture of silence, checked the reply. The action was almost unconscious on Chet’s part; it was as unpremeditated as the sudden thought that flashed abruptly into his mind--

They were helpless; they were in this brute’s power beyond the slightest doubt. Schwartzmann’s words, “You know something. What is it?” had fired a swift train of thought.

The idea was nebulous as yet ... but if they could throw a scare into this man--make him think there was danger ahead ... Yes, that was it: make Schwartzmann think they knew of dangers that he could not avoid. They had been there before: make this man afraid to kill them. The dreadful alternative that Chet had feared to think of might be averted...

All this came in an instantaneous, flashing correlation of his conscious thoughts.

“I’ll tell you what we mean,” he told Schwartzmann. He even leaned forward to shake an impressive finger before the other’s startled face. “I’ll tell you first of all that it doesn’t make a damn bit of difference who is on top--or it won’t in a few hours more. We’ll all be washed out together.

“I’ve landed once on the Dark Moon; I know what will happen. And do you know how fast we are going? Do you know the Moon’s speed as it approaches? Had you thought what you will look like when that fool pilot rams into it head on?

“And that isn’t all!” He grinned derisively into Schwartzmann’s flushed face, disregarding the half-raised pistol; it was as if some secret thought had filled him with overpowering amusement. His broad grin grew into a laugh. “That isn’t all, big boy. What will you do if you do land? What will you do when you open the ports and the--” He cut his words short, and the smile, with all other expression, was carefully erased from his young face.

“No, I reckon I won’t spoil the surprise. We got through it all right; maybe you will, too--maybe!”


And again it was Diane who played up to Chet’s lead without a moment’s hesitation.

“Chet,” she demanded, “aren’t you going to warn him? You would not allow him and his men to be--”

She stopped in apparent horror of the unsaid words; Chet gave her an approving glance.

“We’ll see about that when we get there, Diane.”

He turned abruptly back to Schwartzmann, “I’ll forget what a rotten winner you have been; I’ll help you out: I’ll take the controls if you like. Of course, your man, Max, may set us down without damage; then again--”

“Take them!” Schwartzmann ungraciously made an order of his acceptance. “Take the controls, Herr Bullard! But if you make a single false move!” The menacing pistol completed the threat.

But “Herr Bullard” merely turned to his companion with a level, understanding look. “Come on,” he said; “you can both help in working out our location.”

He stepped before the burly man that Diane might precede them through the door. And he felt the hand of Walt Harkness on his arm in a pressure that told what could not be said aloud.


There were pallid-faced men in the cabin through which they passed; men who stared and stared from the window-ports into the black immensity of space. Chet, too, stopped to look; there had been no port-holes in that inner room where they had been confined.

He knew what to expect; he knew how awe-inspiring would be the sight of strange, luminous bodies--great islands of light--masses of animalculae--that glowed suddenly, then melted again into velvet black. A whirl of violet grew almost golden in sudden motion; Chet knew it for an invisible monster of space. Glowingly luminous as it threw itself upon a subtle mass of shimmering light, it faded like a flickering flame and went dark as its motion ceased.

Life!--life, everywhere in this ocean of space! And on every hand was death. “Not surprising,” Chet realized, “that these other Earthmen are awed and trembling!”

The sun was above them; its light struck squarely down through the upper ports. This was polarized light--there was nothing outside to reflect or refract it--and, coming as a straight beam from above, it made a brilliant circle upon the floor from which it was diffused throughout the room. It was as if the floor itself was the illuminating agent.

No eye could bear to look into the glare from above; nor was there need, for the other ports drew the eyes with their black depths of unplumbed space.

Black!--so velvet as to seem almost tangible! Could one have reached out a hand, that blackness, it seemed, must be a curtain that the hand could draw aside, where unflickering points of light pricked through the dark to give promise of some radiant glory beyond.


They had seen it before, these three, yet Chet caught the eyes of Harkness and Diane and knew that his own eyes must share something of the look he saw in theirs--something of reverent wonder and a strange humility before this evidence of transcendent greatness.

Their own immediate problem seemed gone. The tyranny of this glowering human and his men--the efforts of the whole world and its struggling millions--how absurdly unimportant it all was! How it faded to insignificance! And yet...

Chet came from the reverie that held him. There was one man by whom this beauty was unseen. Herr Schwartzmann was angrily ordering them on, and, surprisingly, Chet laughed aloud.

This problem, he realized, was his problem--his to solve with the help of the other two. And it was not insignificant; he knew with some sudden wordless knowledge that there was nothing in all the great scheme but that it had its importance. This vastness that was beyond the power of human mind to grasp ceased to be formidable--he was part of it. He felt buoyed up; and he led the way confidently toward the control-room door where Schwartzmann stood.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close