Brood of the Dark Moon - Cover

Brood of the Dark Moon

Public Domain

Chapter 4: The Return to the Dark Moon

No man faces death in so shocking a form without feeling the effects. Death had flicked them with a finger of flame and had passed them by. Chet Bullard found his hands trembling uncontrollably as he fumbled for a book and opened it. The tables of figures printed there were blurred at first to his eyes, but he forced himself to forget the threat that was past, for there was another menace to consider now.

And uppermost in his mind, when his thoughts came back into some approximate order, was condemnation of himself for an opportunity that was gone.

“I could have jumped him,” he told himself with bitter self-reproach; “I could have grabbed the pistol from Kreiss--the man was petrified.” And then Chet had to admit a fact there was no use of denying: “I was as paralyzed as he was,” he said, and only knew he had spoken aloud when he saw the puzzled look that crossed Harkness’ face.

Harkness and Diane had drawn near. In a far corner of the little room Schwartzmann had motioned to Kreiss to join him; they were as far away from the others as could be managed. Schwartzmann, Chet judged, needed some scientific explanation of these disturbing events; also he needed to take the detonite pistol from Kreiss’ hand and jam it into his own hand. His eyes, at Chet’s unconscious exclamation, had come with instant suspicion toward the two men.

“Forty-seven hours, Walt,” the pilot said, and repeated it loudly for Schwartzmann’s benefit; “--forty-seven hours before we return to this spot. We are driving out into space; we’ve crossed the orbit of the Dark Moon, and we’re doing twenty thousand miles an hour.

“Now we must decelerate. It will take twenty hours to check us to zero speed; then twenty-seven more to shoot us back to this same point in space, allowing, of course, for a second deceleration. The same figuring with only slight variation will cover a return to the Dark Moon. As we sweep out I can allow for the moon-motion, and we’ll hit it at a safe landing speed on the return trip this time.”


Chet was paying little attention to his companion as he spoke. His eyes, instead, were covertly watching the bulky figure of Schwartzmann. As he finished, their captor shot a volley of questions at the scientist beside him; he was checking up on the pilot’s remarks.

Chet was leaning forward to stare intently from a lookout, his head was close to that of Harkness.

“Listen, Walt,” he whispered; “the Moon’s out of sight; it’s easy to lose. Maybe I can’t find it again, anyway--it’s going to take some nice navigating--but I’ll miss it by ten thousand miles if you say so, and even the Herr Doktor can’t check me on it.”

Chet saw the eyes of Schwartzmann grow intent. He reached ostentatiously for another book of tables, and he seated himself that he might figure in comfort.

“Just check me on this,” he told Harkness.

He put down meaningless figures, while the man beside him remained silent. Over and over he wrote them--would Harkness never reach a decision?--over and over, until--

“I don’t agree with that,” Harkness told him and reached for the stylus in Chet’s hand. And, while he appeared to make his own swift computations, there were words instead of figures that flowed from his pen.

“Only alternative: return to Earth,” he wrote. “Then S will hold off; wait in upper levels. Kreiss will give him new bearings. We’ll shoot out again and do it better next time. Kreiss is nobody’s fool. S means to maroon us on Moon--kill us perhaps. He’ll get us there, sure. We might as well go now.”


Chet had seen a movement across the room. “Let’s start all over again,” he broke in abruptly. He covered the writing with a clean sheet of paper where he set down more figures. He was well under way when Schwartzmann’s quick strides brought him towering above them. Again the detonite pistol was in evidence; its small black muzzle moved steadily from Harkness to Chet.

“For your life--such as is left of it--you may thank Herr Doktor Kreiss,” he told Chet. “I thought at first you would have attempted to kill us.” His smile, as he regarded them, seemed to Chet to be entirely evil. “You were near death twice, my dear Herr Bullard; and the danger is not entirely removed.

“‘Forty-seven hours’ you have said; in forty-seven hours you will land us on the Dark Moon. If you do not,”--he raised the pistol suggestively--”remember that the pilot, Max, can always take us back to Earth. You are not indispensable.”

Chet looked at the dark face and its determined and ominous scowl. “You’re a cheerful sort of soul, aren’t you?” he demanded. “Do you have any faint idea of what a job this is? Do you know we will shoot another two hundred thousand miles straight out before I can check this ship? Then we come back; and meanwhile the Dark Moon has gone on its way. Had you thought that there’s a lot of room to get lost in out here?”

“Forty-seven hours!” said Schwartzmann. “I would advise that you do not lose your way.”

Chet shot one quizzical glance at Harkness.

“That,” he said, “makes it practically unanimous.”

Schwartzmann, with an elaborate show of courtesy, escorted Diane Delacouer to a cabin where she might rest. At a questioning look between Diane and Harkness, their captor reassured them.

“Mam’selle shall be entirely safe,” he said. “She may join you here whenever she wishes. As for you,”--he was speaking to Harkness--”I will permit you to stay here. I could tie you up but this iss not necessary.”

And Harkness must have agreed that it was indeed unnecessary, for either Kreiss or Max, or some other of Schwartzmann’s men, was at his side continuously from that moment on.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close