Brood of the Dark Moon - Cover

Brood of the Dark Moon

Public Domain

Chapter 6: "Six to Four"

Perhaps to every person in that control room there came, as Chet’s quiet, emotionless tones died away, the same mental picture; for there was the same dazed look on the countenances of all.

They were seeing an ocean of space, an endless void of empty black. And across that etheric sea was a whirling globe. They had seen it from afar; they had seen its diminutive continents and its snow-clad poles ... They would never see it again...

Earth!--their own world!--home! And now for them it was only a moon, a tremendous, glorious moon, whose apparent nearness would be taunting and calling them each day and night of their lives...

It was Diane Delacouer who dared to break the hard silence that bound them all. From wide eyes she stared at Walt Harkness; then her lips formed a trembling smile in which Chet, too, was included.

“You saved us,” she whispered; “you saved us, Chet ... but now it looks as if we all were exiles.”

She crossed slowly, walking like one in a dream, to stand close to Walt Harkness. And Chet Bullard also roused himself; but it was toward the stupefied, hulking figure of Schwartzmann that he moved.

He reached for the detonite pistol, and this man who had been their captor was too stunned to make any resistance. Chet jammed the weapon under his belt.

“Close that port!” he ordered the two men who had half-opened it at Schwartzmann’s command. “Keep that poison gas out.”


There was a flash of color that swept by the open port--some flying creature of vivid crimson: Chet had no time to see what manner of bird or beast it was. But it was alive! He crossed to examine the spectro-analyzer, and the two men disregarded his order and slipped into the rear cabin.

“Seems all clear to me, Walt,” he said; and Harkness confirmed his findings with a quick glance.

“O.K.!” he assured Chet; “that air is all right to breathe.”

He glanced from a lookout port. “The air’s moving now,” he said. “That gas--whatever it was--is gone; it must have settled down here in the night. Some new vent that has opened since we were here before.

“But suppose we forget that and settle matters in here,” he suggested; and Chet nodded assent.

“Call your men!” Harkness ordered Schwartzmann.

The man had recovered his composure; again his heavy face was flushed beneath a stubble of beard. He made no move to comply with Harkness’ demand.

But there was no need: from the cabin at the rear came the scientist, Kreiss. His face was pale and drawn, and he stared long and searchingly at Chet Bullard. His breath still whistled in his throat; the poison gas had nearly done for him.

At his heels were the two who had been working at the port. Two others, who had held Harkness, were drawn off at one side, where they mumbled one to another and shot ugly glances toward Chet.

This, Chet knew, accounted for all. Even the pilot, Max, had roused from the sleep that a blow on the chin had induced and was again on his feet. For him no explanation was needed; the shattered cage of the ball-control told its own story.

Harkness seated Mademoiselle Delacouer on a bench at the pilot’s post. “You will want to be in on this,” he told her, “but I’ll put you here in case they get rough. But don’t worry,” he added; “we’ll be ready for them now.”


Then he turned to Schwartzmann: “Now, you! Oh, there are plenty of things I could call you! And you would understand them perfectly, though they are all words that no gentleman would use.”

At Schwartzmann’s outburst of profane rejoinder, Harkness broke in with no uncertain tones.

“Shut up, Schwartzmann, and stay that way; I’m giving the orders now. And we’ll just cut out all the pleasantries; they won’t get us anywhere. We must face the situation, all of us; see what we’re up against and make some plans.”

But Herr Schwartzmann was not to be put down so easily. He crossed over to where Chet stood. Chet’s hand dropped to the pistol that was hooked in his own belt, but Schwartzmann made no move toward it. Instead he planted himself before the pilot and jammed his fists into his hips while he tried to draw his stocky form to equal Chet’s slim height.

“Fool!” he said. “Dolt! For a minute I believed you; I thought you had cut us off from the Earth. Now I know better. Max, he understands ships; and the Herr Doktor Kreiss iss a man of science: together they the repairs will make.”

The Master Pilot smiled grimly. “Try to do it,” he said, and turned toward the two whom Schwartzmann had named. “You, Max, and you, too, Doctor Kreiss--do you want to take on the job? If you do, I will help you.”

But the two looked at the shattered controls and shook their heads at their employer.

“Impossible!” the pilot exclaimed. “Without new parts it can never be done.”

Schwartzmann seemed about to vent his fury upon the man who dared give such a report, but Doctor Kreiss raised a restraining hand.

“Check!” he said. “I check that report. Repairs are out of the question.”


Chet caught Harkness’ eye upon him. “I’ll be back,” Harkness told him and went quickly toward the rear of the ship. Their stores were back there; would Walt think to get a detonite pistol? He came back into the room while the thought was still in Chet’s mind. A gun was in each hand; he passed one of the weapons to Diane.

Unconsciously, Schwartzmann felt for his own gun that was in Chet’s belt. He laughed mirthlessly. “Two men,” he said scornfully; “two men and a girl!”

Harkness paid no attention. “Now we will get right down to cases,” he remarked. “Two men and a girl is right--plus what is left of one ship. And please don’t forget that the ship is ours and all the supplies that are in it. Now, you listen to me; I’ve a few things to tell you.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close