Brood of the Dark Moon - Cover

Brood of the Dark Moon

Public Domain

Chapter 10: A Mysterious Rescuer

Their way led through tangled growths of trees and vines that were like unreal things of a dream. Unreal they were, too, in their strange degree of livingness, for there were snaky tendrils that drew back as if in fear at their approach and stalks that folded great, thorny leaves protectingly about pulpy centers at the first touch of a hand. The world of vegetation seemed strangely sentient and aware of their approach. Only the leprous-white trees remained motionless; their red-veined trunks towered high in air, and the sun of late afternoon shot slantingly through a leafy roof overhead.

Twice Chet let the others go on ahead while he slipped silently into some rocky concealment and watched with staring, anxious eyes back along their trail. But the little stream’s gurgling whisper was the only voice, and in all the weird jungle there was no movement but for the unfolding of the vegetation where they had passed.

“Nerves!” he reproached himself. “You’re getting jumpy, and that won’t do.” But once more he let the others climb on while he stepped quickly behind a projecting rock over which he could look.

Again there was silence; again the leaves unfolded their thorny wrappings while vermiform tendrils crept across the ground or reached tentatively into the air. And then, while the silence was unbroken, while no evidence came through his feeble, human senses, something approached.

Neither sight nor sound betrayed it--this something, that came noiselessly after--but a tell-tale plant whipped its leaves into their former wrapping; a vine drew its hanging clusters of flowers sharply into the air. The unseeing watchers of the forest had sensed what was unheard and unseen, and Chet knew that his own inner warning had been true.

He waited to see this mysterious pursuer come into view; and after waiting in vain he realized the folly of thinking himself concealed. He glanced about him; every plant was drawn tightly upon itself. With silent voices they were proclaiming his hiding place, warning this other to wait, telling him that someone was hidden here.

Chet’s face, despite his apprehension, drew into a whimsical, silent grin. “No chance to ambush him, whoever he is or whatever it is,” he told himself. “But that works two ways: he can’t jump us when we’re prepared; not in daylight, anyway.”

And he asked himself a question he could not answer: “I wonder,” he whispered softly, “--I wonder what these plants will do at night!”


Almost they could see the swift descent of the sun. Each flashing glint of light through the dense growth came from lower down toward the invisible horizon. It shone at last where Chet cast anxious glances about upon a mound of rocks.

Rough blocks of tremendous size had been left here from some seismic disturbance. Like the ruins of a castle they were heaped high in air. Even the tree growths stopped at their base, and above them was an opening in the roof of tangled branches and leaves--a rough circle of clear, blue sky.

“How about making camp?” Chet asked. “This place looks good to me. I would just as soon be up off the ground a bit.”

Harkness looked at the pile of rocks; glanced once toward the sun. “Right!” he agreed. “This will do for our first camp.”

“You’ve named it,” Chet told him as he scrambled to the top of a great block. He extended a hand to Diane, standing tired and breathless at its side.

“Welcome to First Camp!” he told her. “Take this elevator for the first ten floors.”

He drew her up to the top of the block. Harkness joined them, and Diane, though she tried to smile in response to Chet, did not refuse their help in making the ascent; the day’s experiences had told on all of them.

Thirty or forty feet above the ground was Chet’s estimate. From the top of their little fort they watched the shadows of night sweep swiftly down. Scrub tree growths whose roots had anchored among the rocks gave them shelter, while vines and mosses softened the hard outlines of the labyrinth of stones.


Chet undid the package of meat and passed it out freely. There had been scurryings and rustlings in the jungle growth that had reassured him in the matter of food. Darkness fell as they ate; then it gave way to a new flood of light.

Golden light from a monstrous moon! It sent searching fingers through rifts in the leafy roof, then poured itself over the edge of the opening above in a cascade of glory. And, though each one of the four raised his eyes toward that distant globe and knew it for the Earth, no word was said; they ate their food in silence while the silent night wrapped them about.

Still in silence they prepared for the night. Chet and Harkness improvised a bed for Diane in the shelter of a sheer-rising rock. They tore off pieces of moss and stripped leaves from the climbing vines to make a mattress for her; then withdrew with Kreiss to a short distance while Chet told them of his suspicions.

“Six hours of night,” he said at last; “that means two hours for each of us. We’ll take turns standing guard.”

Harkness insisted upon being first. Chet flipped a coin with Kreiss and drew the last turn of guard duty. He stretched himself out on a bit of ground where vegetation had gained a foothold among the rocks.

“It’s going to take me a while to get used to these short days,” he said. “Six hours of daylight; six hours of night. This is a funny, little world--but it’s the only one we’ve got.”

The night air was softly warm; the day had been hard on muscles and nerves. Chet stared toward the glorious ball of light that was their moon. There were men and women there who were going about their normal affairs. Ships were roaring through the air at their appointed levels; their pilots were checking their courses, laughing, joking.


Chet resolutely withdrew his eyes. Think? Hell, no! That was one thing that he must not do. He threw one arm across his eyes to shut out the light that brought visions of a world he would never see again--that emphasized the utter hopelessness of their position ... His next conscious sensation was of his shoulder being shaken, while the hushed voice of Doctor Kreiss said:

“Your turn now, Herr Bullard; four hours have you slept.”

From Kreiss, Chet took the pistol with its seven precious shells. “All quiet,” Kreiss told him as he prepared to take Chet’s place on the soft leaves; “strange, flying things have I seen, but they do not come near. And of your mysterious pursuer we have seen nothing. You imagined it, perhaps.”

“I might have imagined it,” Chet answered, “but don’t try to tell me that the plants did. I’ll give this vegetation credit for some damned uncanny powers but not for imagination--I draw the line there.”

He looked toward the highest point of rock and shook his head. “Too plain a target if I’m up there,” he argued, and took up his position in the shadows instead.

Once he moved cautiously toward the place they had prepared for Diane. She was breathing softly and regularly. And on the rock at her side, with only his jacket for a bed, lay Harkness. Their hands were clasped, and Chet knew that the girl slept peacefully in the assurance of that touch.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close