Four Miles Within - Cover

Four Miles Within

Public Domain

Chapter 1

A strange spherical monster stood in the moonlight on the silent Mojave Desert. In the ghostly gray of the sand and sage and joshua trees its metal hide glimmered dully--an amazing object to be found on that lonely spot. But there was only pride and anticipation in the eyes of the three people who stood a little way off, looking at it. For they had constructed the strange sphere, and were soon going to entrust their lives to it.

“Professor,” said one of them, a young man with a cheerful face and a likable grin, “let’s go down now! There’s no use waiting till to-morrow. It’s always dark down there, whether it’s day or night up here. Everything is ready.”

The white-haired Professor David Guinness smiled tolerantly at the speaker, his partner, Phil Holmes. “I’m kind of eager to be off, myself,” he admitted. He turned to the third person in the little group, a dark-haired girl. “What do you say, Sue?”

“Oh, let’s, Father!” came the quick reply. “We’d never be able to sleep to-night, anyway. As Phil says, everything is ready.”

“Well, I guess that settles it,” Professor Guinness said to the eager young man.

Phil Holmes’ face went aglow with anticipation. “Good!” he cried. “Good! I’ll skip over and get some water. It’s barely possible that it’ll be hot down there, in spite of your eloquent logic to the contrary!” And with the words he caught up a large jug standing nearby, waved his hand, said: “I’ll be right back!” and set out for the water-hole, situated nearly a mile away from their little camp. The heavy hush of the desert night settled down once more after he left.


As his figure merged with the shadows in the distance, the elderly scientist murmured aloud to his daughter:

“You know, it’s good to realize that my dream is about to become a reality. If it hadn’t been for Phil ... Or no--I really ought to thank you, Sue. You’re the one responsible for his participation!” And he smiled fondly at the slender girl by his side.

“Phil joined us just for the scientific interest, and for the thrill of going four miles down into the earth,” she retorted at once, in spite of the blush her father saw on her face. But he did not insist. Once more he turned, as to a magnet, to the machine that was his handiwork.

The fifteen-foot sphere was an earth-borer--Guinness’s own invention. In it he had utilized for the first time for boring purposes the newly developed atomic disintegrators. Many holes equally spaced over the sphere were the outlets for the dissolving ray--most of them on the bottom and alternating with them on the bottom and sides were the outlets of powerful rocket propulsion tubes, which would enable it to rise easily from the hole it would presently blast into the earth. A small, tight-fitting door gave entrance to the double-walled interior, where, in spite of the space taken up by batteries and mechanisms and an enclosed gyroscope for keeping the borer on an even keel, there was room for several people.

The earth-borer had been designed not so much for scientific investigation as the specific purpose of reaching a rich store of radium ore buried four miles below the Guinness desert camp. Many geologists and mining engineers knew that the radium was there, for their instruments had proven it often; but no one up to then knew how to get to it. David Guinness did--first. The borer had been constructed in his laboratory in San Francisco, then dismantled and freighted to the little desert town of Palmdale, from whence Holmes had brought the parts to their isolated camp by truck. Strict secrecy had been kept. Rather than risk assistants they had done all the work themselves.


Fifteen minutes passed by, while the slight figure of the inventor puttered about the interior of the sphere, brightly lit by a detachable searchlight, inspecting all mechanisms in preparation for their descent. Sue stood by the door watching him, now and then turning to scan the desert for the returning Phil.

It was then, startlingly sudden, that there cracked through the velvet night the faint, distant sound of a gun. And it came from the direction of the water-hole.

Sue’s face went white, and she trembled. Without a word her father stepped out of the borer and looked at her.

“That was a gun!” he said. “Phil didn’t have one with him, did he?”

“No,” Sue whispered. “And--why, there’s nobody within miles of here!”

The two looked at each other with alarm and wonder. Then, from one of the broken patches of scrub that ringed the space in which the borer stood, came a mocking voice.

“Ah, you’re mistaken, Sue,” it affirmed. “But that was a gun.”

David Guinness jerked around, as did his daughter. The man who had spoken stood only ten yards away, clearly outlined in the bright moonlight--a tall, well-built man, standing quite at ease, surveying them pleasantly. His smile did not change when old Guinness cried:

“Quade! James Quade!”

The man nodded and came slowly forward. He might have been considered handsome, had it not been for his thin, mocking lips and a swarthy complexion.

“What are you doing here?” demanded Guinness angrily. “And what do you mean--’it was a gun?’ Have you--”

“Easy, easy--one thing at a time,” said Quade, still smiling. “About the gun--well, your young friend Holmes said, he’d be right back, but I--I’m afraid he won’t be.”


Sue Guinness’s lips formed a frightened word:

“Why?”

Quade made a short movement with his left hand, as is brushing the query aside. “Let’s talk about something more pleasant,” he said, and looked back at the professor. “The radium, and your borer, for instance. I hear you’re all ready to go down.”

David Guinness gasped. “How did you know--?” he began, but a surge of anger choked him, and his fists clenched. He stepped forward. But something came to life in James Quade’s right hand and pointed menacingly at him. It was the stubby black shape of an automatic.

“Keep back, you old fool!” Quade said harshly. “I don’t want to have to shoot you!”

Unwillingly, Guinness came to a stop. “What have you done with young Holmes?” he demanded.

“Never mind about him now,” said Quade, smiling again. “Perhaps I’ll explain later. At the moment there’s something much more interesting to do. Possibly you’ll be surprised to hear it, but we’re all going to take a little ride in this machine of yours, Professor. Down. About four miles. I’ll have to ask you to do the driving. You will, won’t you--without making a fuss?”

Guinness’s face worked furiously. “Why, you’re crazy, Quade!” he sputtered. “I certainly won’t!”

“No?” asked Quade softly. The automatic he held veered around, till it was pointing directly at the girl. “I wouldn’t want to have to shoot Sue--say--through the hand...” His finger tightened perceptibly on the trigger.

“You’re mad, man!” Guinness burst out. “You’re crazy! What’s the idea--”

“In due time I’ll tell you. But now I’ll ask you just once more,” Quade persisted. “Will you enter that borer, or must I--” He broke off with an expressive shrug.

David Guinness was powerless. He had not the slightest idea what Quade might be about; the one thought that broke through his fear and anger was that the man was mad, and had better be humored. He trembled, and a tight sensation came to his throat at sight of the steady gun trained on his daughter. He dared not trifle.

“I’ll do it,” he said.


James Quade laughed. “That’s better. You always were essentially reasonable, though somewhat impulsive for a man of your age. The rash way you severed our partnership, for instance ... But enough of that. I think we’d better leave immediately. Into the sphere, please. You first, Miss Guinness.”

“Must she come?”

“I’m afraid so. I can’t very well leave her here all unprotected, can I?”

Quade’s voice was soft and suave, but an undercurrent of sarcasm ran through it. Guinness winced under it; his whole body was trembling with suppressed rage and indignation. As he stepped to the door of the earth-borer he turned and asked:

“How did you know our plans? About the radium?--the borer?”

Quade told him. “Have you forgotten,” he said, “that you talked the matter over with me before we split last year? I simply had the laboratory watched, and when you got new financial backing from young Holmes, and came here. I followed you. Simple, eh? ... Well, enough of this. Get inside. You first, Sue.”

Trembling, the girl obeyed, and when her father hesitated Quade jammed his gun viciously into his ribs and pushed him to the door. “Inside!” he hissed, and reluctantly, hatred in his eyes, the professor stepped into the control compartment after Sue. Quade gave a last quick glance around and, with gun ever wary, passed inside. The door slammed shut: there was a click as its lock shot over. The sphere was a sealed ball of metal.

Inside, David Guinness obeyed the automatic’s imperious gesture and pulled a shiny-handled lever slowly back, and the hush that rested over the Mojave was shattered by a tremendous bellow, a roar that shook the very earth. It was the disintegrating blast, hurled out of the bottom in many fan-shaped rays. The coarse gray sand beneath the machine stirred and flew wildly; the sphere vibrated madly; and then the thunder lowered in tone to a mighty humming and the earth-borer began to drop. Slowly it fell, at first, then more rapidly. The shiny top came level with the ground: disappeared; and in a moment there was nothing left but a gaping hole where a short while before a round monster of metal had stood. The hole was hot and dark, and from it came a steadily diminishing thunder...

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close