The Invisible Death
Chapter 1: Out of the Hangman's Hands

Public Domain

“You speak,” said Von Kettler, jeering, “as if you really believed that you had the power of life and death over me.”

The Superintendent of the penitentiary frowned, yet there was something of perplexity in the look he gave the prisoner. “Von Kettler, I think it is time that you dropped this absurd pose of yours,” he said, “in view of the fact that you are scheduled to die by hanging at eight o’clock to-morrow night. Your life and death are in your own hands.”

Von Kettler bowed ironically. Standing in the Superintendent’s presence in the uniform of the condemned cell, collarless, bare-headed, he yet seemed to dominate the other by a certain poise, breeding, nonchalance.

“Your life is offered you in consideration of your making a complete written confession of the whole ramifications of the plot against the Federal Government,” the Superintendent continued.

“Rather a confession of weakness, my dear Superintendent,” jeered the prisoner.


“Oh don’t worry about that! The Government has unravelled a good deal of the conspiracy. It knows that you and your international associates are planning to strike at civilized government throughout the world, in the effort to restore the days of autocracy. It knows you are planning a world federation of states, based on the principles of absolutism and aristocracy. It is aware of the immense financial resources behind the movement. Also that you have obtained the use of certain scientific discoveries which you believe will aid you in your schemes.”

“I was wondering,” jeered the prisoner, “how soon you were coming to that.”

“They didn’t help you in your murderous scheme,” the Superintendent thundered. “You were found in the War Office by the night watchman, rifling a safe of valuable documents. You shot him with a pistol equipped with a silencer. You shot down two more who, hearing his cries, rushed to his aid. And you attempted to stroll out of the building, apparently under the belief that you possessed mysterious power which would afford you security.”

“A little lapse of judgment such as may happen with the best laid plans,” smiled Von Kettler. “No, Superintendent, I’ll be franker with you than that. My capture was designed. It was decided to give the Government an object lesson in our power. It was resolved that I should permit myself to be captured, in order to demonstrate that you cannot hang me, that I have merely to open the door of my cell, the gates of this penitentiary, and walk out to freedom.”

“Have you quite finished?” rasped the Superintendent.

“At your disposal,” smiled the other.

“Here’s your last chance, Von Kettler. Your persistence in this absurd claim has actually shaken the expressed conviction of some of the medical examiners that you are sane. If you will make that complete written confession that the Government asks of you, I pledge you that you shall be declared insane to-night, and sent to a sanitarium from which you will be permitted to escape as soon as this affair has blown over.”


“The United States Government has sunk pretty low, to involve itself in a deal of this character, don’t you think, my dear Superintendent?” jeered Von Kettler.

“The Government is prepared to act as it thinks best in the interests of humanity. It knows that the death of one wretched murderer such as yourself is not worth the lives of thousands of innocent men!”

“And there,” smiled Von Kettler, without abating an atom of his nonchalance, “there, my dear Superintendent, you hit the nail on the head. Only, instead of thousands, you might have said millions.”

Von Kettler’s aspect changed. Suddenly his eyes blazed, his voice shook with excitement, his face was the face of a fanatic, of a prophet.

“Yes, millions, Superintendent,” he thundered. “It it a holy cause that inspires us. We know that it is our sacred mission to save the world from the drabness of modern democracy. The people--always the people! Bah! what are the lives of these swarming millions worth when compared with a Caesar, a Napoleon, an Alexander, a Charlemagne? Nothing can stop us or defeat us. And you, with your confession of defeat, your petty bargaining--I laugh at you!”

“You’ll laugh on the gallows to-morrow night!” the Superintendent shouted.

Again Von Kettler was the calm, superior, arrogant prisoner of before. “I shall never stand on the gallows trap, my dear Superintendent, as I have told you many times,” he replied. “And, since we have reached what diplomacy calls a deadlock, permit me to return to my cell.”

The Superintendent pressed a button on his desk; the guards, who had been waiting outside the office, entered hastily. “Take this man back,” he commanded, and Von Kettler, head held high, and smiling, left the room between them.


The Superintendent pressed another button, and his assistant entered, a rugged, red-haired man of forty--Anstruther, familiarly known as “Bull” Anstruther, the man who had in three weeks reduced the penitentiary from a place of undisciplined chaos to a model of law and order. Anstruther knew nothing of the Superintendent’s offer to Von Kettler, but he knew that the latter had powerful friends outside.

“Anstruther, I’m worried about Von Kettler,” said the Superintendent. “He actually laughed at me when I spoke of the possibility of another medical examination. He seemed confident that he could not be hanged. Swore that he will never stand on the gallows trap. How about your precautions for to-morrow night?”

“We’ve taken all possible precautions,” answered Anstruther. “Special armed guards have been posted at every entrance to the building. Detectives are patrolling all streets leading up to it. Every car that passes is being scrutinized, its plate numbers taken, and forwarded to the Motor Bureau. There’s no chance of even an attempt at rescue--literally none.”

“He’s insane,” said the Superintendent, with conviction, and the words filled him with new confidence. It had been less Von Kettler’s statements than the man’s cool confidence and arrogant superiority that had made him doubt. “But he’s not too insane to have known what he was doing. He’ll hang.”

“He certainly will,” replied Anstruther. “He’s just a big bluff, sir.”

“Have him searched rigorously again to-morrow morning, and his cell too--every inch of it, Anstruther. And don’t relax an iota of your precautions. I’ll be glad when it’s all over.”

He proceeded to hold a long-distance conversation with Washington over a special wire.


In his cell, Von Kettler could be seen reading a book. It was Nietzsche’s “Thus Spake Zarathusta,” that compendium of aristocratic insolence that once took the world by storm, until the author’s mentality was revealed by his commitment to a mad-house. Von Kettler read till midnight, closely observed by the guard at the trap, then laid the word aside with a yawn, lay down on his cot, and appeared to fall instantly asleep.

Dawn broke. Von Kettler rose, breakfasted, smoked the perfecto that came with his ham and eggs, resumed his book. At ten o’clock Bull Anstruther came with a guard and stripped him to the skin, examining every inch of his prison garments. The bedding followed; the cell was gone over microscopically. Von Kettler, permitted to dress again, smiled ironically. That smile stirred Anstruther’s gall.

“We know you’re just a big bluff, Von Kettler,” snarled the big man. “Don’t think you’ve got us going. We’re just taking the usual precautions, that’s all.”

“So unnecessary,” smiled Von Kettler. “To-night I shall dine at the Ambassador grill. Watch for me there. I’ll leave a memento.”

Anstruther went out, choking. Early in the afternoon two guards came for Von Kettler.

“Your sister’s come to say good-by to you,” he was told, as he was taken to the visitors’ cell.

This was a large and fairly comfortable cell in a corridor leading off the death house, designed to impress visitors with the belief that it was the condemned man’s permanent abode; and, by a sort of convention, it was understood that prisoners were not to disabuse their visitors’ minds of the idea. The convention had been honorably kept. The visitor’s approach was checked by a grill, with a two-yards space between it and the bars of the cell. Within this space a guard was seated: it was his duty to see that nothing passed.


As soon as Von Kettler had been temporarily established in his new quarters, a pretty, fair-haired young woman came along the corridor, conducted by the Superintendent himself. She walked with dignity, her bearing was proud, she smiled at her brother through the grill, and there was no trace of weeping about her eyes.

She bowed with pretty formality, and Von Kettler saluted her with an airy wave of the hand. Then they began to speak, and the German guard who had been selected for the purpose of interpreting to the Superintendent afterward, was baffled.

It was not German--neither was it French, Italian, or any of the Romance languages. As a matter of fact, it was Hungarian.

Not until the half-hour was up did they lapse into English, and all the while they might have been conversing on art, literature, or sport. There was no hint of tragedy in this last meeting.

“Good-by, Rudy,” smiled his sister, “I’ll see you soon.”

“To-night or to-morrow,” replied Von Kettler indifferently.

The girl blew him a kiss. She seemed to detach it from her mouth and extend it through the grill with a graceful gesture of the hand, and Von Kettler caught it with a romantic wave of the fingers and strained it to his heart. But it was only one of those queer foreign ways. Nothing was passed. The alert guard, sitting under the electric light, was sure of that.

They searched Von Kettler again after he was back in the death house. The other cells were empty. In three of them detectives were placed. In the yard beyond the hangman was experimenting with the trap. He himself was under close observation. Nothing was being left to chance.


At seven o’clock two men collided in the death-house entrance. One was a guard, carrying Von Kettler’s last meal on a tray. He had demanded Perigord truffles and paté de foie gras, cold lobster, endive salad, and near-beer, and he had got them. The other was the chaplain, in a state of visible agitation.

“If he was an atheist and mocked at me it wouldn’t be so bad,” the good man declared. “I’ve had plenty of that kind. But he says he’s not going to be hanged. He’s mad, mad as a March hare. The Government has no right to send an insane man to the gallows.”

“All bluff, my dear Mr. Wright,” answered the Superintendent, when the chaplain voiced his protest. “He thinks he can get away with it. The commission has pronounced him sane, and he must pay the penalty of his crime.”

By that mysterious process of telegraphy that exists in all penal institutions, Von Kettler’s boast that he would beat the hangman had become the common information of the inmates. Bets were being laid, and the odds against Von Kettler ranged from ten to fifteen to one. It was generally agreed, however, that Von Kettler would die game to the last.

“You all ready, Mr. Squires?” the prowling Superintendent asked the hangman.

“Everything’s O. K., sir.”

The Superintendent glanced at the group of newspaper men gathered about the gallows. They, too, had heard of the prisoner’s boast. One of them asked him a question. He silenced him with an angry look.

“The prisoner is in his cell, and will be led out in ten minutes. You shall see for yourselves how much truth there it in this absurdity,” he said.


He looked at his watch. It lacked five minutes of eight. The preparations for an execution had been reduced almost to a formula. One minute in the cell, twenty seconds to the trap, forty seconds for the hangman to complete his arrangements: two minutes, and then the thud of the false floor.

Four minutes of eight. The little group had fallen silent. The hangman furtively took a drink from his hip-pocket flask. Three minutes! The Superintendent walked back to the door of the death house and nodded to the guard.

“Bring him out quick!” he said.

The guard shot the bolt of Von Kettler’s cell. The Superintendent saw him enter, heard a loud exclamation, and hurried to his side. One glance told him that the prisoner had made good his boast.

Von Kettler’s cell was empty!

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close