The Invisible Death - Cover

The Invisible Death

Public Domain

Chapter 13: You Can't Down the Marines

“He’s pulling out of it! Keep it up, Gotch!”

Dick heard the words and opened his eyes. He stared in amazement at the faces about him. Honest American faces under tropical helmets and above a uniform that he had never expected to see again. It couldn’t be real. And yet it was. One word broke from his lips:

“Marines!”

“He’s got it. Don’t let him slip, Gotch.”, grinned one of the friendly faces, and the man named Gotch, who presumably had some qualifications for his job, continued what was meant to be a gentle massage of the nerve centers along Dick’s spine.

“I’m all right.” Dick muttered, beginning to realize his surroundings. He was lying on a strip of prairie near the beach, on which the waves were breaking in low ripples about a motorboat that was drawn up.

He sat up. The world was swimming about him, but he seemed to have no broken bones. Not far away was the wrecked plane, an incongruous mass of streaks where the fabric had ripped through the gas-paint. “Where are the others?” Dick muttered.

Then he was aware of Fredegonde Valmy lying with a white face under a shrub. Her eyes were open, and turned toward him.

He heard Luke Evans’s voice. The old man hobbled round from Dick’s back, one arm in a bandage.

“She’s hurt rather bad, Rennell, but we won’t know how bad till we can get her away,” he said. “You’ve been lying here about an hour, since we crashed. President Hargreaves made them take him to the fleet in the other motorboat to see what he could do. He’s assumed command.

“You see, Rennell, that damn gas caught the fleet and put pretty near every man out of commission for good. But these fellows wasn’t going to give up. So, since all their officers were gone, they took two of the boats and their arms and equipment, and came ashore to settle accounts. And they won’t believe there’s anybody on the island or any buildings. And I can’t make ‘em believe it. God, Rennell, those invisible devils may attack us at any moment. I don’t understand what they’re waiting for.”

Gotch spoke: “We know you’re Captain Rennell, sir. And this gentleman, we know him too, but he seems a bit queer in his head. Talking of the Invisible Emperor’s headquarters on this island, a mile or so inland. The only invisible thing we’ve found is that piece of a garment we pulled off you.”

“I broke my watch ray machine in the fall, and I can’t make them believe, Rennell,” almost wept old Evans. “Tell them I’m not crazy.”

Dick got upon his feet with an effort, staggered a little, then made his way to Fredegonde. He kneeled down beside the girl. She was conscious, and smiled faintly, but she could not speak. He pressed her hand, rose, and came back. “Mr. Evans is not crazy,” he said. “The headquarters of the gang is over there.” He pointed. “Didn’t President Hargreaves tell you?”

“He was kind of incoherent, sir.” The marines looked at one another, wondering. Was Captain Rennell crazy too?

“We’ve had scouts out through the jungle, sir. There’s nothing within five miles of here. They had a clear view through to the sea from the top of a hill.”

“I’ve been there.” Dick spoke with conviction. “I must tell you they’ve got devices that make them practically irresistible. That gas and other things. And they’re invisible. But if you boys are willing to follow me, I’ll lead you. It means death. I don’t know what they’re waiting for. But--are you willing to follow me?”

“We’ll follow you, sir”--after a pause, during which Dick read in their eyes the desire to humor a crazy man. “We’ll follow to hell, sir--if that gang’s really there.”

“Take your arms, then!” Dick pointed to the stacked rifles.

A minute later the twenty-odd Marines, forming an open line that extended from one side of the clearing to the other, were on their way toward the headquarters of the gang. And Dick, leading them, though his head was reeling, felt as if his own reason was slipping from him. Had he only dreamed all this? Was it possible that the headquarters of the Invisible Emperor existed on this desolate prairie? If it was true, why had they suddenly become silent, inert? Why had they not long ago wiped out these few Marines? And the gale--was it now sweeping northward on its mission of destruction?


Half an hour passed. Then the brown patches of the foundations came into view upon the open ground. Here were the hangers, here was the central building with the Emperor’s headquarters. And nothing was visible, nothing stirred, yet at any moment Dick expected the rattle of machine-gun bullets or some more terrific method of destruction.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close