Vagabonds of Space - Cover

Vagabonds of Space

Public Domain

Chapter 8: The Expedition

Carr awakened to a sense of wordless disgust. Fool that he was to spill the beans as he had! All set to put one over on the leader of the Llotta, then to come a cropper like this! He knew he had been spared for a purpose. The gas was not intended to kill, only to render him helpless for a time. He opened his eyes to the light of a familiar room. He had awakened before in this bed. It was his own cabin on board the Nomad. What had happened? Had he dreamed it all. Europa, Ora, Rapaju--all of it? He sat up and felt of his aching head.

“Oh, are you awake?” a soft voice greeted him.

“Ora!” he exclaimed. It was indeed she, beautiful as ever.

“Sh-h,” she warned, placing the tip of a finger to his lips. “They’ll hear us.”

“Who?” he whispered.

“Rapaju--his two guards. They’re in the control cabin with father and Mado.”

“What? They’ve taken the Nomad?”

“Yes. We’re under way. They’ve forced Mado to guide them but do not trust him. Rapaju spared you as he believes you more capable. He’ll hold you to your word.”

“Lord! But what are you doing here?”

Ora dropped her eyes. “He--Rapaju--” she said, “inferred from your action in assaulting him that you were very fond of me. He holds me as a hostage for your good behavior. Father volunteered to come along. He persuaded Rapaju to allow it. Swore allegiance to his cause. Of course he wouldn’t leave me.”


Carr gazed at her in admiration of her courage. She had been nursing him, too! What a girl she was!

“Ora,” he said huskily, “Rapaju was right. I am fond of you. More than fond: I love you. I never knew I could feel this way.”

“Oh Carr, you mustn’t!” She drew back as he scrambled to his feet. “They’ll find us. We must not show that we care. Rapaju is a beast. He wants me for himself and is delaying the time only until you have brought the fleet safely to the inner planets and to their great cities. He--”

“The skunk! Wants you himself, does he? Why, why didn’t I kill him? But Ora, you said--you do care--”

“Ha! I thought so!” Rapaju stood in the doorway, grinning mockingly at the pair. “The impetuous Terrestrial is up and about. Back at his old game!”

“Please, please, for my sake, Carr!” Ora pressed him back as he tensed his muscles for a spring.

“Sorry I was so slow,” Carr grated, over her shoulder. “Another five seconds, Rapaju, and I’d have had your windpipe out by the roots.”

Rapaju scowled darkly and fingered his throat. “But, my dear Carr, you were too slow,” he said, “and I live--and shall live--while you shall die. Meanwhile you’ll carry out your agreement. Come, Ora.”

The girl hesitated a moment, then with a pleading glance at Carr stepped from the room.

“All right now, Parker,” snapped Rapaju. “Into your clothes and into the pilot’s seat. You’ll stay there, too, till the journey’s over. Get busy!”

One of his guards had appeared in the doorway. Carr knew that resistance was useless. Besides, seated at those controls, he might think of something. Rapaju’d never get Ora if he could help it!


Mado’s shoulders drooped and his face was haggard and drawn, but he summoned a smile when he saw Carr.

“Hello, Carr,” he said. “You all right?”

“Sure. Rapaju says I’ve got to take the controls.”

“Very well.” Mado shrugged his broad shoulders and slipped from the pilot’s seat. Two ugly Llotta guards were watching, ray-pistols in hand. “The chart is corrected, Carr, and--”

“Never mind the conversation!” Rapaju snarled. “There’ll be no talk between you at all. Beat it to your cabin, Mado.”

The Martian glowered and made as if to retort hotly.

“But Rapaju,” Detis interposed, speaking from his position at one of the ports, “they’ll have to consult regarding the course of the vessel. Mado is more familiar than Carr with the navigation of space.”

“Shut up!” roared Rapaju. “I know what I am doing. And, what’s more, you’ll not converse with them, either! I’m running this expedition, and I’m not taking any chances.”

Detis subsided and followed Mado through the passage to the sleeping cabins.


The ensuing silence was ominous. Carr could feel the eyes of the Llotta upon him as he examined the adjustments of the controls and peeped through the telescope. A glance at the velocity indicator showed him they were traveling at a rate of eight hundred miles a second. He studied the chart and soon made out their position. Jupiter was a hundred million miles behind them and they were heading almost due sunward. The automatic control mechanism was not functioning. Evidently Mado had kept this a secret--and for a purpose. He wished he could talk with his friend. They’d plan something.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close