Two Thousand Miles Below - Cover

Two Thousand Miles Below

Public Domain

Prologue

In the gray darkness the curved fangs of a saber-toothed tiger gleamed white and ghostly. The man-figure that stood half crouched in the mouth of the cave involuntarily shivered.

“Gwanga!” he said. “He goes, too!”

But the man did not move more than to shift a club to his right hand. Heavy, that club, and knotted and with a head of stone tied and wrapped with leather thongs; but Gor of the tribe of Zoran swung it easily with one of his long arms. He paid only casual attention as the great cat passed on into the night.

One leathery hand was raised to shield his slitted eyes; the wind from the north struck toward the mouth of the cave, and it brought with it cold driving rain and whirling flurries of frozen pellets that bit and stung.

Snow! Gor had traveled far, but never had he seen a storm like this with white cold in the air. Again a shiver that was part fear rippled through his muscles and gripped with invisible fingers at his knotted arms.

“The Beast of the North is angry!” he told himself.

Through the dark and storm, animals drifted past before the blasts of cold. They were fleeing; they were full of fear--fear of something that the dull mind of Gor could not picture. But in that mind was the same wordless panic.

Gor, the man-animal of that pre-glacial day, stared wondering, stupidly, into the storm with eyes like those of the wild pig. His arms were long, almost to his knees; his hair, coarse and matted, hung in greasy locks about his savage face. Behind his low, retreating forehead was place for little of thought or reason. Yet Gor was a man, and he met the threat of disaster by something better than blind, terrified, animal flight.

A scant hundred in the tribe--men and women and little pot-bellied brown children--Gor gathered them together in the cave far back from the mouth.

“For many moons,” he told them by words and signs, “the fear has been upon us. There have been signs for us to see and for all the Four-feet--for Hathor, the great, and for little Wahti in his hole in the sand-hill. Hathor has swung his long snout above his curved tusks and has cried his fear, and the Eaters of the Dead have circled above him and cried their cry.

“And now the Sun-god does not warm us. He has gone to hide behind the clouds. He is afraid--afraid of the cold monster that blows white stinging things in his breath.

“The Sun-god is gone--now, when he should be making hot summer! The Four-feet are going. Even Gwanga, the long-toothed, puts his tail between his legs and runs from the cold.”


The naked bodies shivered in the chill that struck in from the storm-wrapped world; they drew closer their coverings of fur and hides. The light of their flickering fires played strange tricks with their savage faces to make them still uglier and to show the dull terror that gripped them.

“Run--we must run--run away--the breath of the beast is on us--he follows close--run...” Through the mutterings and growls a sick child whimpered once, then was still. Gor was speaking again:

“Run! Run away!” he mocked them. “And where shall the tribe of Zoran go? With Gwanga, to make food for his cat belly or to be hammered to death with the stones of the great tribes of the south?”

There was none to reply--only a despairing moan from ugly lips. Gor waited, then answered his own question.

“No!” he shouted, and beat upon his hairy chest that was round as the trunk of a tree. “Gor will save you--Gor, the wanderer! You named me well: my feet have traveled far. Beyond the red-topped mountains of the north I have gone; I have seen the tribes of the south, and I brought you a head for proof. I have followed the sun, and I have gone where it rises.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close