The Passing of Ku Sui - Cover

The Passing of Ku Sui

Public Domain

Chapter 13: In Earth's Shadow

Hour after hour and day after day, for a week the Sandra tracked on through the boundless leagues, the waxing sunlight beating steadily on her starboard bow and her silent gravity-plates and singing generators bringing Earth ever nearer. Friday, who possessed an extensive knowledge of all the practical sciences, did extra service in the role of cook, and his regularly served meals disguised the undifferentiated hours of space into Earth-mornings, noons and nights. Watch in and watch out, and nothing to disturb the even routine.

As for the ever-feared pursuit, there was no sign of it. Systematically and carefully the men stationed at the electelscope turned it through the region behind, but never did their watching eyes discern the bulk of the asteroid. Its disappearance, and the kindred mystery of who had been on it, remained unsolved.

Therefore peace came to Eliot Leithgow’s face, and the tiredness left his eyes. The long, hunted years were beginning to be washed from him, and daily, to Carse, he appeared younger. Often in the control cabin or over a meal he talked of what lay ahead, and the happiness Earth held waiting for him. There was his daughter, Sandra, whom he had seen last as a girl of fourteen, and even then interested in his work. She would be matured now, and she would perhaps be eager to help him in the work he intended to resume. There was so much of it! Discoveries, theories, evolved during his fugitive years--now he could complete them and give them to his old circles of brother scientists. All this was in his conversations; but secret and unworded in his thoughts were anticipations of the old dear beauty of Earth, that beauty for which his ageing heart had pined so long...

And Earth was drawing nearer.


Another week passed.

Twice a day the door of Dr. Ku Sui’s cabin was unlocked and he was brought out under guard for several turns through the ship. Though for safety’s sake they continued to dose him with the V-27, it was apparent that the gas had less and less effect on him. Four, then eight, then twelve times a day they re-gassed him--as often as they dared, considering its ultimate destructive mental effect--but more and more of the frankness and serenity foreign to his green eyes melted away. Gradually the normal veil came to hide their depths and make them enigmatic; and sometimes there was again on his face the hint of something strong and tigerish and cruel lying waiting. They no longer trusted him to attend to the five patients. He spoke seldom. A tall, reserved figure in black silk, attended either by Ban Wilson or Friday, he strolled through the ship for fifteen minutes and was returned to his lonely cabin. Of all the marks his experience must have left upon him, the only one apparent was his silence.

It was on the seventeenth day that he forsook that silence and directly accosted Carse. He had a request. The saffron face impassive, the long lashes lying low over the eyes, he said softly:

“I wonder, Captain Carse, if I might be permitted a glimpse of the subjects of my transplantation?”

Leithgow and Wilson were at the time with Carse in the control cabin, and they regarded their friend intently, curious as to what the reply would be. They saw his steel-gray eyes meet Dr. Ku’s gaze squarely; and the two men looked at each other: Hawk Carse, complete victor at last, and Ku Sui, the vanquished.

The adventurer answered:

“Your request is only natural, Dr. Ku. Certainly you may see them, and perhaps offer an opinion on their progress, which has so far been in the hands of your assistants. But I shall have to accompany you.”

“You are kind.”

“Take the controls, Ban,” Carse directed, and together they left the cabin.


There was no visible change in the five bodies. They lay stretched out in cots, sheets drawn up to their necks, and it seemed almost as if they were quietly slumbering and would presently wake up; though in reality consciousness would not return to the fine brains in their hideous, distorted bodies for many weeks, and then only if the healing processes were successful. Bandages swathed the heads, leaving eyes and nostrils alone visible. An assistant of Leithgow’s, at present on watch there, moved occasionally with instrument in hand to time the fevered pulses.

“I must ask you to stand back here, Dr. Ku,” said the Hawk, indicating a spot some five feet from the nearest cot. His left arm hung easily by his side, the hand resting by the butt of his holstered raygun; and the position was not accidental.

Ku Sui nodded and doubtless noted the gun, but his eyes were on the bodies. He stood regarding his own handiwork in silence, his face inscrutable, and Carse did not disturb him. At last, in a low tone he asked the assistant:

“The food injections take successfully?”

The man nodded.

“I remember,” the beautifully modulated voice went on. “I was not sure of one subject. Swanson’s brain, was it not? Is his condition any better?”

“We are not sure.”

“Ah, yes ... yes...” He appeared to muse, and no one disturbed him in the minutes of silence that followed. Finally he looked away and said:

“It was a great feat. Thank you, Captain Carse. I am pleased by this glimpse of the miracle my hands were made to perform. I am ready to return.”

But at the door of his cabin he paused, and his eyes rested again on the cold, firm face close to him. He said:

“I suppose, Captain Carse, you intend to bring me before Earth’s World Court of Justice?”

“Yes. Along with our living proof of your abduction of the five scientists.”

The Eurasian smiled. “I see. And since there is no questioning that proof, it would appear that Earthlings will soon levy punishment on Dr. Ku Sui ... So ... You know, Captain Carse, I find your caution a great handicap. You keep gassing me; I am locked in; and since I have observed no excitement aboard the ship, apparently there are no friends anywhere near me. You have stripped me of everything.” His eyes lowered for a moment. “Everything save this ring.”

On the forefinger of his right hand, set simply in a platinum band, was a large dark stone.

“A black opal,” said Dr. Ku. “I have worn it for years and I prize it highly. Perhaps at the last I will give it to you as a memento of these past years, Captain Carse.” And he went into the cabin, where they gassed him again.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close