The Copper-clad World
Chapter 8: Last of the Rulans

Public Domain

Bathed and fed and attired in dry clothing provided by Dantor, the Earth man and Rulan maiden were much refreshed and heartened when, together, they finally faced the aged scientist in the laboratory of the secret apartment. He hadn’t allowed them to talk as yet.

Blaine glanced at the ragged opening where the stone door had been blown away. “We are safe from intrusion here?” he asked.

Dantor shrugged expressive shoulders. “The Tritu Anu is empty of life,” he said; “a sepulchre. Those of our people who were not completely disintegrated lie blackened corpses in the chambers and corridors overhead. The gas grenades, you know. The guards went to Ianito with Farley and reported you dead: lost in the jungle from which none return.”

“Farley!” Blaine shouted. “He is alive?” A wild hope sprang into being, intensified to a certainty as Dantor nodded.

“Why, yes. I thought you knew. They captured him very soon after the escape, but were unable to find you and Ulana. Ianito has mechanized him; he is in a hypnotic state of complete subjection to the Dictator. A quantity of k-metal has been taken to the laboratory at the breech of the great rocket-tube, and Farley now works there with Ianito’s crew, initiating them into the mysteries of the metal’s uses. Things look very bad.”

“Wh-a-at!” Blaine lost his elation over the knowledge that his friend was alive. Tommy was doomed, anyway. They all were doomed. “Why did you bring us back?” he asked, turning away. Blaine felt it was better to have died in the jungle than to face this certainty of lingering torture. Ianito had triumphed; the universe was fated for utter annihilation and Ulana would suffer for weeks, perhaps months, before the final swift dissolution.


Understanding, Dantor smiled gravely. “My boy,” he said, “we still live, and while we live there is hope. That is the reason I brought you back. Tiedus’ message came to me as his spirit left the body and I made haste to come here as soon as the Zara released me and I knew the coast was clear.”

“What hope can there be?” Appalled by the enormity of the disaster that threatened the solar system, certain of the ultimate fate that would be meted out to Tom Farley, and convinced of their own helplessness, Blaine was gloomily unenthusiastic.

“That remains to be seen, Carson. I confess it seems impossible of remedy, but the situation must be faced and studied carefully. Insignificant as we are in the vastness of the cosmos, we may yet prove to be the ones to circumvent the mad plans of the Llotta and prevent the catastrophe which is inevitable if they succeed. We must not give up while we still breathe.”

The indomitable spirit of the old scientist glistened in his keen eyes, and he stepped to the controls of the crystal sphere.

“He will not give up, oh Dantor,” Ulana exclaimed loyally. “He is with us to the end. Do I speak truth, my Carson?”

Her arm slipped through his and he thrilled anew at her fragrant nearness. Give up? Never! Not with Ulana to fight for. Blaine nodded wordless agreement, silenced by the expression of Dantor’s face as the crystal vibrated to a musically throbbing note.


There in the crystal ball was pictured a vast underground workshop somewhat like the one in the great dome through which they had entered the copper-clad world. In place of the telescope there was the butt of a gigantic cannon-like tube that towered and was lost in the shadows of the vaulted chamber. Tom Farley, moving jerkily and staring with glazed unseeing eyes, was working there with a cube of the glittering k-metal. In the open breech block of the tube was a heaped-up cone of dry soil, the material they would disintegrate in producing the blast of electronic forces. Blaine groaned as his friend called for the equivalent of a milligram of radium. Though his voice was listless and his movements uncertain, Tommy knew what he was doing and was giving away the secret, powerless to resist the command Ianito had implanted in his completely subjective mind.

“Ah,” Dantor breathed: “progressive annihilation of energy: a thing we never have accomplished. You excite ordinary material such as this dry soil by means of atoms exploded from this k-metal which is in turn excited by ordinary radium that can be used over and over as the primary excitant. Am I correct?”

“You are. There are precise ratios of atomic weights to be considered, of course, but it looks as if my friend is being extremely accurate in spite of his dazed condition. Man alive! There is enough material there to provide power for the entire planet Venus for a month!”

“And enough to start Antrid from her orbit,” Dantor returned. “Enough to send her on her fatal journey sunward?”

“Only for the first acceleration. A vast amount of energy is needed, Carson, since the gravitational attraction of the planet you call Jupiter is enormous. Antrid will be speeded up in its orbit and the increased centrifugal force will cause it to take up a new and larger orbit where the forces will equalize. Several charges will be required in order to free her entirely from the mother body.”


“There’s time then!” Blaine exclaimed excitedly. “What can we do to put a stop to the thing? Something to counteract this control by Ianito; to cause Tommy to err in his proportions.”

“Yes, that would do it--temporarily at least,” Dantor agreed, his brow wrinkled in thought; “and there are the invisible cloaks. It is a bare chance if you want to take it. I can show you the way to this underground laboratory, and, in invisibility, you might even be able to change the ratios yourself. Yes, yes, it is a very good idea.” The scientist brightened in renewed hope.

“Of course I’ll chance it. When do I start?”

Dantor grinned in appreciation and Ulana looked up at him starry-eyed. “I’m going with you,” she stated simply.

“Not on your life! There’ll be danger. I won’t have it!”

“Nevertheless, I’m going. There’s another cloak and besides the danger would be greater if I were alone. Where you go I go, and if you die I die with you--gladly.” She twined her fingers with his and gazed at him appealingly.

“Dantor! This can’t be!” He turned to the scientist for support.

The aged scientist studied the two a little while, and then said quietly, “I’m afraid it is better as she wishes, Carson. I am unable to protect her, my boy, and there is no one else who might give her shelter. We are the last of the Rulans, she and I. The very last.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close