Morale - a Story of the War of 1941-43 - Cover

Morale - a Story of the War of 1941-43

Public Domain

Chapter 4

“ ... which panic was enhanced by the destruction of a
second flight of fighting planes. However, the
destruction of Bendsboro completed civilian
demoralization ... A newscasting company re-broadcast
a private television contact with the town at the
moment the Wabbly entered it. Practically all the
inhabitants of the Atlantic Coast heard and saw the
annihilation of the town--hearing the cries of ‘Gas!’
and the screams of the people, and hearing the
crashings as the Wabbly crushed its way inexorably
across the city, spreading terror everywhere...
Frenzied demands were made upon the Government for the
recall of troops from the front to offer battle to the
Wabbly ... It is considered that at that time the one
Wabbly had a military effect equal to at least half a
million men.” (Strategic Lessons of the War of
1941-43.--U. S. War College. Pp. 83-84.)

They did not enter the town. There was just enough of starlight to show that the Wabbly had gone through it, and then crashed back and forth ruthlessly. There was a great gash through the center of the buildings nearest the edge, and there were other gashes visible here and there. Everything was crushed down utterly flat in two eight-foot paths; and there was a mass of crumbled debris four feet high at its highest in between the tread-marks.

They looked, silently, and went on. They reached a railroad track, the quadruple track of a branch-line from New York to Philadelphia. The Wabbly was going along that right-of-way. There was no right-of-way left where it had been. Rails were crushed flat. Culverts were broken through. But the horses raced along the smoothed tread-trails. Once a broken, twisted rail tore at Sergeant Walpole’s sleeve. Somehow the last great plate of a tread had bent it upward. Presently they saw a mass of something dark off to the left. Flames were licking meditatively at one of the wrecked cars.

Then they heard explosions far ahead. Flames lighted the sky.

“Our men in action!” said Sergeant Walpole hungrily.

He flogged his mount mercilessly. Then the sky became bright in the distance. The horses, going down the crushed-smooth trail of the treads, gained upon the din. Then they saw the cause of it, miles distant. A train was burning luridly. Its forepart was wreckage, pure and simple. The rest was going up in flames and detonations. Munitions, of course. The Wabbly was off at one side, flame-lit and monstrous, sliding smoothly out of sight.


“Ten miles of railroad,” said the ‘copter pilot calmly, “mashed out of existence. That’s going to scare our people into fits. They can drop eggs till the cows come home, and every egg’ll smash up a hundred yards of right-of-way, and we can build it back up again in four hours with mobile track-layers. But ten miles to be regraded and laid is different. Half of America will be imagining all our railroads smashed and starvation ahead.”

A piercing light fell upon them.

“Shut it off!” roared Sergeant Walpole. “D’y’want to get us killed?”

He and the ‘copter pilot swerved. There was a car there, a huge two-wheeled car, whose gyroscopes hummed softly while its driver tried to extract it from something it was tangled in.

“I commandeer this car,” said the ‘copter pilot. “Military necessity. We have to trail that Wabbly.”

Someone grunted. Lights flashed on within. The ‘copter pilot and Sergeant Walpole stiffened to attention. The stars of a major-general shone on the collar of the stout man within.

“Beg pardon, sir,” said the pilot, and was still.

“Umph,” said the major-general. “There seem to be just four of us alive, who’ve seen the thing clearly. I hit on it by accident, I’ll admit. What do you know about it?”

“It come on a tramp-steamer--” began Sergeant Walpole.

“Hm. You’re Sergeant Walpole. Mentioned in dispatches to-morrow, Sergeant. You, sir?”

“Its weapon against our planes, sir,” said the ‘copter man precisely, “is a radio beam carrying several thousand horsepower of energy. When it hits iron, sir, the energy is absorbed and the iron heats up and blows up the ship. The Wabbly’s working with a bomber well aloft, sir, which spots planes from below by picking up their spark-plug flashes in a directional loop. The bomber aloft, sir, drops eggs when the Wabbly’s attacked. Sergeant Walpole reports several planes disabled by their fabric being blown off their wings.”


“I know,” said the major-general. “Dammit, the front takes every ship that’s fit to go aloft. We have only wrecks back here. You’re sure about that spark-plug affair?”

“Yes, sir,” said the ‘copter pilot. “My ship crashed, sir. I started the motors again, trying to take off. Eggs began to drop about me instantly.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close