Morale - a Story of the War of 1941-43 - Cover

Morale - a Story of the War of 1941-43

Public Domain

Chapter 6

“ ... Considered as a strategic move, the Wabbly was a
triumph. Eighteen hours after its landing, the orders
for troops called for half a million men to be
withdrawn from the forces at the front and in reserve,
and munitions-factories were being diverted from the
supply of the front to the manufacture of devices
designed to cope with it. This, in turn, entailed
changes in the front-line activities of the Command...
Altogether, it may be said that the Wabbly, eighteen
hours after its landing, was exerting the military
pressure of an army of not less than half a million men
upon the most vulnerable spot in our defenses--the
rear ... And when its effect upon civilian morale is
considered, the Wabbly, as a force in being,
constituted the most formidable military unit in
history.” (Strategic Lessons of the War of
1941-43.--U. S. War College. P. 93.)

As Sergeant Walpole saw the Wabbly, there was no sign of humanity anywhere about the thing. It was a monstrous mass of metal, powder-stained now where shells had burst against it, and it seemed metallically alive, impersonally living. The armored tube with vision-slits at its ends must have been the counterpart of a ship’s bridge, but it looked like the eye-ridge of an insect’s face. The bulbous control-rooms at the ends looked like a gigantic insect’s multi-faceted eyes. And the huge treads, so thick as to constitute armor for their own protection, were so cunningly joined and sprung that they, too, seemed like part of a living thing.

It came within twenty yards of the staff-car with the ‘copter man in it and Sergeant Walpole smoking outside. It ignored them. It had destroyed all life at this place. And Sergeant Walpole alone was visible, and he sat motionless and detached, unemotionally waiting to be killed. The Wabbly clanked and rumbled and roared obliviously past them. Sergeant Walpole saw the flexing springs in the tread-joints, and there were hundreds of them, of a size to support a freight-car. He saw a refuse-tube casually ejecting a gush of malodorous stuff, in which the garbage of a mess-table was plainly identifiable. A drop or two of the stuff splashed on him, and he smelled coffee.

And then the treads lifted, and he saw the monstrous gas-spreading tubes at the stern, and the exhaust-pipes into which he could have ridden, monocycle and all. Then he saw a man in the Wabbly. There were ventilation-ports open at the pointed stern and a man was looking out, some fifteen feet above the ground, smoking placidly and looking out at the terrain the Wabbly left behind it. He was wearing an enemy uniform cap.


The monster went on. The roar of its passing diminished a little. And the ‘copter man came suddenly out of the staff-car, struggling with the portable vision set.

“I think we can do it,” he said shortly. “It’s in constant beam communication with a bomber up aloft, and I think they’re worried up there because they can’t see a damned thing. But it’s a good team. With the Wabbly’s beam, which takes so much power no bomber could possibly carry it, the bombers are safe, and the bombers can locate any motor-driven thing that might attack the Wabbly and blow it to hell. But right now they can’t see it. So I think we can do it. Coming?”

Sergeant Walpole threw away his cigarette and rose stiffly. Even those few moments of rest had intensified his weariness. He flung a leg over the monocycle’s seat and pointed tiredly to the trail of the Wabbly. It nearly paralleled, here, a ribbon of concrete road which once had been a reasonably important feeder-highway.

“Let’s go.”

They went off through the rain along the road, nearly parallel to the route the Wabbly was taking. Rain beat at them. Off in the woods to their right the Wabbly’s noise grew louder as they overtook it. They passed it, and came abruptly out of the wooded area upon cultivated fields, rolling and beautifully cared-for. There had been a farm-headquarters off to one side, a huge central-station for all the agricultural work on what once would have been half a county, but there were jagged walls where buildings had been, and smoke still rose from the place.

Then the Wabbly came out of the woods, a dim gray monstrous shape in the rain.


The helicopter man pulled the ignition-cord and a rocket began to sputter. He made a single wipe with his knife-blade along the twisted insulated wires of the Bissel battery, and a wavering blue spark leaped into being. The rocket shot upward, curved down, and landed with enough force to bury its head in the muddy ploughed earth and conceal the signal-flare that must have ignited.

“That ought to do it,” said the ‘copter man. “Let’s send some more.”

Sergeant Walpole got exhaustedly off his monocycle and duplicated the ‘copter man’s efforts. A second rocket, a third ... A dozen or more rockets went off, each one bearing a wavering, uncertain blue spark at its tip. And that spark would continue for half an hour or more. In a loop aerial, eight miles up, it might sound like a spark-plug, or it might sound like something else. But it would not sound like the sort of thing that ought to spring up suddenly in front of the Wabbly, and it would sound like something that had better be bombed, for safety’s sake.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close