The Pirates of Ersatz - Cover

The Pirates of Ersatz

Public Domain

Chapter 9

Normally, at overdrive cruising speed, it would be a week’s journey from Walden to the planet Krim. Hoddan made it in five days. There was reason. He wanted to beat the news of his piracy to Krim. He could endure suspicion, and he wouldn’t mind doubt, but he did not want certainty of his nefarious behavior to interfere with the purposes of his call.

The space yacht, sealed tightly, floated in an orbit far out in emptiness. The big ship went down alone by landing grid. It glittered brightly as it descended. When it touched ground and the grid’s force fields cut off, it looked very modern and very crisp and strictly businesslike. Actually, the capture of this particular liner was a bit of luck, for Hoddan. It was not one of the giant inter-cluster ships which make runs of thousands of light-years and deign to stop only at very major planets. It was a medium ship of five thousand tons burden, designed for service in the Horsehead Nebula region. It was brand-new and on the way from its builders to its owners when Hoddan interfered. Naturally, though, it carried cargo on its maiden voyage.

Hoddan spoke curtly to the control room of the grid.

“I’m non-sked,” he explained. “New ship. I got a freak charter party over on Walden and I have to get rid of my cargo. How about shifting me to a delay space until I can talk to some brokers?”

The force fields came on again and the liner moved very delicately to a position at the side of the grid’s central space. There it would be out of the way.

Hoddan dressed himself carefully in garments found in the liner’s skipper’s cabin. He found Thal wearing an apron and an embittered expression. He ceased to wield a mop as Hoddan halted before him.

“I’m going ashore,” said Hoddan crisply. “You’re in charge until I get back.”

“In charge of what?” demanded Thal bitterly. “Of a bunch of male housemaids! I run a mop! And me a Darthian gentleman! I thought I was being a pirate! What do I do? I scrub floors! I wash paint! I stencil cases in cargo holds! I paint over names and put others in their places! Me, a Darthian gentleman!”

“No,” said Hoddan. “A pirate. If I don’t get back, you and the others can’t work this ship, and presently the police of Krim will ask why. They’ll recheck my careful forgeries, and you’ll all be hung for piracy. So don’t let anybody in. Don’t talk to anybody. If you do--pfft!

He drew his finger across his throat, and nodded, and went cheerfully out the crew’s landing-door in the very base of the ship. He went across the tarmac and out between two of the gigantic steel arches of the grid. He hired a ground vehicle.

“Where?” asked the driver.

“Hm-m-m,” said Hoddan. “There’s a firm of lawyers ... I can’t remember the name--”

“There’s millions of ‘em,” said the driver.

“This is a special one,” explained Hoddan. “It’s so dignified they won’t talk to you unless you’re a great-grandson of a client. They’re so ethical they won’t touch a case of under a million credits. They’ve got about nineteen names in the firm title and--”

“Oh!” said the ground-car driver. “That’ll be-- Hell! I can’t remember the name either. But I’ll take you there.”

He drove out into traffic. Hoddan relaxed. Then he tensed again. He had not been in a city since he stopped briefly in this on the way to Darth. The traffic was abominable. And he, who’d been in various pitched battles on Darth and had only lately captured a ship in space-- Hoddan grew apprehensive as his ground-car charged into the thick of hooting, rushing, squealing vehicles. When the car came to a stop he was relieved.

“It’s yonder,” said the driver. “You’ll find the name on the directory.”

Hoddan paid and went inside the gigantic building. He looked at the directory and shrugged. He went to the downstairs guard. He explained that he was looking for a firm of lawyers whose name was not on the directory list. They were extremely conservative and of the highest possible reputation. They didn’t seek clients--

“Forty-two and forty-three,” said the guard, frowning. “I ain’t supposed to give it out, but--floors forty-two and-three.”


Hoddan went up. He was unknown. A receptionist looked at him with surprised aversion.

“I have a case of space piracy,” said Hoddan polite. “A member of the firm, please.”

Ten minutes later he eased himself into the easiest of easy-chairs. A gray-haired man of infinite dignity said:

“Well?”

“I am,” said Hoddan modestly, “a pirate. I have a ship in the spaceport with very convincing papers and a cargo of Rigellian furs, jewelry from the Cetis planets, and a rather large quantity of bulk melacynth. I want to dispose of the cargo and invest a considerable part of the proceeds in conservative stocks on Krim.”

The lawyer frowned. He looked shocked. Then he said carefully:

“You made two statements. One was that you are a pirate. Taken by itself, that is not my concern. The other is that you wish to dispose of certain cargo and invest in reputable businesses on Krim. I assume that there is no connection between the two observations.”

He paused. Hoddan said nothing. The lawyer went on, with dignity:

“Of course our firm is not in the brokerage business. However, we can represent you in your dealing with local brokers. And obviously we can advise you--”

“I also wish to buy,” said Hoddan, “a complete shipload of agricultural machinery, a microfilm technical library, machine tools, vision-tape technical instructors and libraries of tape for them, generators, and such things.”

“Hm-m-m,” said the lawyer. “I will send one of our clerks to examine your cargo so he can deal properly with the brokers. You will tell him in detail what you wish to buy.”

Hoddan stood up.

“I’ll take him to the ship now.”

He was mildly surprised at the smoothness with which matters proceeded. He took a young clerk to the ship. He showed him the ship’s papers as edited by himself. He took him through the cargo holds. He discussed in some detail what he wished to buy.

When the clerk left, Thal came to complain again.

“Look here!” he said bitterly, “we’ve scrubbed this ship from one end to the other! There’s not a speck or a fingermark on it. And we’re still scrubbing! We captured this ship! Is this pirate revels?”

Hoddan said:

“There’s money coming. I’ll let you boys ashore with some cash in your pockets presently.”

Brokers came, escorted by the lawyer’s clerk. They squabbled furiously with him. But the dignity of the firm he represented was extreme. There was no suspicion--no overt suspicion anyhow--and the furs went. The clerk painstakingly informed Hoddan that he could draw so much. More brokers came. The jewelry went. The lawyer’s clerk jotted down figures and told Hoddan the net. The bulk melacynth was taken over by a group of brokers, none of whom could handle it alone.

Hoddan drew cash and sent his Darthians ashore with a thousand credits apiece. With bright and shining faces, they headed for the nearest bars.

“As soon as my ship’s loaded,” Hoddan told the clerk, “I’ll want to get them out of jail.”

The clerk nodded. He brought salesmen of agricultural machinery. Representatives of microfilm libraries. Manufacturers of generators, vision-tape instructors and allied lines. Hoddan bought, painstakingly. Delivery was promised for the next day.

“Now,” said the clerk, “about the investments you wish to make with the balance?”

“I’ll want a reasonable sum in cash,” said Hoddan reflectively. “But ... well ... I’ve been told that insurance is a fine, conservative business. As I understand it, most insurance organizations are divided into divisions which are separately incorporated. There will be a life-insurance division, a casualty division, and so on. Is that right? And one may invest in any of them separately?”

The clerk said impassively:

“I was given to understand, sir, that you are interested in risk-insurance. Perhaps especially risk-insurance covering piracy. I was given quotations on the risk-insurance divisions of all Krim companies. Of course those are not very active stocks, but if there were a rumor of a pirate ship acting in this part of the galaxy, one might anticipate--”

“I do,” said Hoddan. “Let’s see ... My cargo brought so much ... Hm-m-m ... My purchases will come to so much. Hm-m-m ... My legal fees, of course ... I mentioned a sum in cash. Yes. This will be the balance, more or less, which you will put in the stocks you’ve named, but since I anticipate activity in them. I’ll want to leave some special instructions.”

He gave a detailed, thoughtful account of what he anticipated might be found in news reports of later dates. The clerk noted it all down, impassively. Hoddan added instructions.

“Yes, sir,” said the clerk without intonation when he was through. “If you will come to the office in the morning, sir, the papers will be drawn up and matters can be concluded. Your new cargo can hardly be delivered before then, and if I may say so, sir, your crew won’t be ready. I’d estimate two hours of festivity for each man, and fourteen hours for recovery.”

“Thank you,” said Hoddan. “I’ll see you in the morning.”


He sealed up the ship when the lawyer’s clerk departed. Then he felt lonely. He was the only living thing in the ship. His footsteps echoed hollowly. There was nobody to speak to. Not even anybody to threaten. He’d done a lot of threatening lately.

He went forlornly to the cabin once occupied by the liner’s former skipper. His loneliness increased. He began to feel those daunting self-doubts such as plague the most unselfish and conscientious people. His actions to date, of course, did not trouble him. Today’s actions were the ones which bothered his conscience. He felt that they were not quite adequate. The balance left in the lawyer’s hands would not be nearly enough to cover a certain deficit which in justice he felt himself bound to make up. It had been his thought to make this enterprise self-liquidating--everybody concerned making a profit, including the owners of the ship and cargo he had pirated. But he wasn’t sure.

He reflected that his grandfather would not have been disturbed about such a matter. That elderly pirate would have felt wholly at ease. It was his conviction that piracy was an essential part of the working of the galaxy’s economic system. Hoddan, indeed, could remember him saying precisely, snipping off the ends of his words as he spoke:

“I tell y’, piracy’s what keeps the galaxy’s business thriving! Everybody knows business suffers when retail trade slacks down. It backs up the movement of inventories. They get too big. That backs up orders to the factories. They lay off men. And when men are laid off they don’t have money to spend, so retail trade slacks off some more, and that backs up inventories some more, and that backs up orders to factories and makes unemployment and hurts retail trade again. It’s a feed-back. See?” It was Hoddan’s grandfather’s custom, at this point, to stare shrewdly at each of his listeners in turn.

“But suppose somebody pirates a ship? The owners don’t lose. It’s insured. They order another ship built right away. Men get hired to build it and they’re paid money to spend in retail trade and that moves inventories and industry picks up. More’n that, more people insure against piracy. Insurance companies hire more clerks and bookkeepers. They get more money for retail trade and to move inventories and keep factories going and get more people hired ... Y’see? It’s piracy that keeps business in this galaxy goin’!”

Hoddan had known doubts about this, but it could not be entirely wrong. He’d put a good part of the proceeds of his piracy in risk-insurance stocks, and he counted on them to make all his actions as benevolent to everybody concerned as his intentions had been, and were. But it might not be true enough. It might be less than ... well ... sufficiently true in a particular instance. And therefore--

Then he saw how things could be worked out so that there could be no doubt. He began to work out the details. He drifted off to sleep in the act of composing a letter in his head to his grandfather on the pirate planet Zan.

When morning came on Krim, catawheel trucks came bringing gigantic agricultural machines of a sort that would normally never be shipped by space freight. There came generators and turbines and tanks of plastic, and vision-tape instructors and great boxes full of tape for them. There were machine tools and cutting tips--these last in vast quantity--and very many items that the emigrants of Colin probably would not expect, and might not even recognize. The cargo holds of the liner filled.

He went to the office of his attorneys. He read and signed papers, in an atmosphere of great dignity and ethical purpose. The lawyer’s clerk attended him to the police office, where seven dreary Darthians with oversized hangovers tried dismally to cheer themselves by memories of how they got that way. He got them out and to the ship. The lawyer’s clerk produced a rather weighty if small box with an air of extreme solemnity.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close