The Pirates of Ersatz - Cover

The Pirates of Ersatz

Public Domain

Chapter 12

Hoddan stopped off at Krim by landing grid, to consult his lawyers. He felt a certain amount of hope of good results from his raid on Walden, but he was desperate about Nedda. Once she was confident of her safety under his protection, she took over the operation of the spaceship. She displayed an overwhelming saccharinity that was appalling. She was sweetness and light among criminals who respectfully did not harm her, and she sweetened and lightened the atmosphere of the space yacht until Hoddan’s followers were close to mutiny.

“It ain’t that I mind her being a nice girl,” one of his mustachioed Darthians explained almost tearfully to Hoddan, “but she wants to make a nice girl out of me!”

Hoddan, himself, cringed from her society. He could gladly have put her ashore on Krim with ample funds to return to Walden. But she was prettily, reproachfully helpless. If he did put her ashore, she would confide her kidnaping and the lovely behavior of the pirates until nobody would believe in them any more--which would be fatal.

He went to his lawyers, brooding. The news astounded him. The emigrant fleet had appeared over Krim on the way to Walden. Before it appeared, Hoddan’s affairs had been prosperous enough. Right after his previous visit, news had come of the daring piratical raid which captured a ship off Walden. This was the liner Hoddan’d brought in to Krim. All merchants and ship owners immediately insured all vessels and goods in space transit at much higher valuations. The risk-insurance stocks bought on Hoddan’s account had multiplied in value. Obeying his instructions, his lawyers had sold them out and held a pleasing fortune in trust for Hoddan.

Then came the fleet over Krim, with its letter threatening planetary destruction if resistance was offered to single ships which would land and loot later on. It seemed that all commerce was at the mercy of space marauders. Risk-insurance companies had undertaken to indemnify the owners of ships and freight in emptiness. Now that an unprecedented pirate fleet ranged and doubtless ravaged the skyways, the insurance companies ought to go bankrupt. Owners of stock in them dumped it at any price to get rid of it. In accordance with Hoddan’s instructions, though, his lawyers had faithfully if distastefully bought it in. To use up the funds available, they had to buy up not only all the stock of all the risk-insurance companies of Krim, but all stock in all off-planet companies owned by investors on Krim.

Then time passed, and ships in space arrived unmolested in port. Cargoes were delivered intact. Insurers observed that the risk-insurance companies had not collapsed and could still pay off if necessary. They continued their insurance. Risk companies appeared financially sound once more. They had more business than ever, and no more claims than usual. Suddenly their stocks went up--or rather, what people were willing to pay for them went up, because Hoddan had forbidden the sale of any stock after the pirate fleet appeared.

Now he asked hopefully if he could reimburse the owners of the ship he’d captured off Walden. He could. Could he pay them even the profit they’d have made between the loss of their ship and the arrival of a replacement? He could. Could he pay off the shippers of Rigellian furs and jewelry from the Cetis stars, and the owners of the bulk melacynth that had brought so good a price on Krim? He could. In fact, he had. The insurance companies he now owned lock, stock, and barrel had already paid the claims on the ship and its cargo, and it would be rather officious to add to that reimbursement.

Hoddan was abruptly appalled. He insisted on a bonus being paid, regardless, which his lawyers had some trouble finding a legal fiction to fit. Then he brooded over his position. He wasn’t a business man. He hadn’t expected to make out so well. He’d thought to have to labor for years, perhaps, to make good the injury he’d done the ship owners and merchants in order to help the emigrants from Colin. But it was all done, and here he was with a fortune and the framework of a burgeoning financial empire. He didn’t like it.

Gloomily, he explained matters to his attorneys. They pointed out that he had a duty, an obligation, from the nature of his unexpected success. If he let things go, now, the currently thriving business of risk insurance would return to its former unimportance. His companies had taken on extra help. More bookkeepers and accountants worked for him this week than last. More mail clerks, secretaries, janitors and scrubwomen. Even more vice presidents! He would administer a serious blow to the economy of Krim if he caused a slackening of employment by letting his companies go to pot. A slackening of employment would cause a drop in retail trade, an increase in inventories, a depression in industry...

Hoddan thought gloomily of his grandfather. He’d written to the old gentleman and the emigrant fleet would have delivered the letter. He couldn’t disappoint his grandfather!

He morbidly accepted his attorneys’ advice, and they arranged immediately to take over the forty-first as well as the forty-second and-third floors of the building their offices were in. Commerce would march on.


And Hoddan headed for Darth. He had to return his crew, and there was something else. Several something elses. He arrived in that solar-system and put his yacht in a search-orbit, listening for the call-signal the spaceboat should give for him to home on. He found it, deep within the gravity-field of Darth. He maneuvered to come alongside, and there was blinding light everywhere. Alarms rang. Lights went out. Instruments registered impossibilities, the rockets fired crazily, and the whole ship reeled. Then a voice roared out of the communicator:

Stand and deliver! Surrender and y’ll be allowed to go to ground. But if y’even hesitate I’ll hull ye and heave ye out to space without a spacesuit!

Hoddan winced. Stray sparks had flown about everywhere inside the space yacht. A ball lightning bolt, even of only warning size, makes things uncomfortable when it strikes. Hoddan’s fingers tingled as if they’d been asleep. He threw on the transmitter switch and said annoyedly:

“Hello, grandfather. This is Bron. Have you been waiting for me long?”

He heard his grandfather swear disgustedly. Not long later, a badly battered, blackened, scuffed old spacecraft came rolling up on rocket-impulse and stopped with a billowing of rocket fumes. Hoddan threw a switch and used the landing grid field he’d used on Walden in another fashion. The ships came together with fine precision, lifeboat-tube to lifeboat-tube. He heard his grandfather swear in amazement.

“That’s a little trick I worked out, grandfather,” said Hoddan into the transmitter. “Come aboard. I’ll pass it on.”

His grandfather presently appeared, scowling and suspicious. His eyes shrewdly examined everything, including the loot tucked in every available space. He snorted.

“All honestly come by,” said Hoddan morbidly. “It seems I’ve got a license to steal. I’m not sure what to do with it.”

His grandfather stared at a placard on the wall. It said archly: “Remember! A Lady is Present!“ Nedda had put it up.

“Hm-m-m!” said his grandfather. “What’s a woman doing on a pirate ship? That’s what your letter talked about!”

“They get on,” said Hoddan, wincing, “like mice. You’ve had mice on a ship, haven’t you? Come in the control room and I’ll explain.”

He did explain, up to the point where his arrangements to pay back for a ship and cargo he’d given away turned into a runaway success, and now he was responsible for the employment of innumerable bookkeepers and clerks and such in the insurance companies he’d come to own. There was also the fact that as the emigrant fleet went on, some fifty more planets in all would require the attention of pirate ships from time to time, or there would be disillusionment and injury to the economic system.

“Organization,” said his grandfather, “does wonders for a tender conscience like you’ve got. What else?”

Hoddan explained the matter of his Darthian crew. Don Loris might affect to consider them disgraced because they hadn’t cut his throat. Hoddan had to take care of the matter. And there was Nedda ... Fani came into the story somehow, too. Hoddan’s grandfather grunted, at the end.

“We’ll go down and talk to this Don Loris,” he said pugnaciously. “I’ve dealt with his kind before. While we’re down, your Cousin Oliver’ll take a look at this new grid-field job. We’ll put it on my ship. Hm-m-m--how about the time down below? Never land long after daybreak. Early in the morning, people ain’t at their best.”

Hoddan looked at Darth, rotating deliberately below him.

“It’s not too late, sir,” he said. “Will you follow me down?”

His grandfather nodded briskly, took another comprehensive look at the loot from Walden, and crawled back through the tube to his own ship.


So it was not too long after dawn, in that time-zone, when a sentry on the battlements of Don Loris’ castle felt a shadow over his head. He jumped a foot and stared upward. Then his hair stood up on end and almost threw his steel helmet off. He stared, unable to move a muscle.

There was a ship above him. It was not a large ship, but he could not judge of such matters. It was not supported by rockets. It should have been falling horribly to smash him under its weight. It wasn’t. Instead, it floated on with very fine precision, like a ship being landed by grid, and settled delicately to the ground some fifty yards from the base of the castle wall.

Immediately thereafter there was a muttering roar. It grew to a howl--a bellow; it became thunder. It increased from that to a noise so stupendous that it ceased altogether to be heard, and was only felt as a deep-toned battering at one’s chest. When it ended there was a second ship resting in the middle of a very large scorched place close by the first.

Neither of these ships was a spaceboat. The silently landed vessel, which was the smaller of the two, was several times the sizes of the only spacecraft ever seen on Darth outside the spaceport. Its design was somehow suggestive of a yacht. The other, larger, ship was blunt and soiled and space-worn, with patches on its plating here and there.

A landing ramp dropped down from the battered craft. It neatly spanned the scorched and still-smoking patch of soil. A port opened. Men came out, following a jaunty small figure with belligerent gray whiskers. They dragged an enigmatic object behind them.

Hoddan came out of the yacht. His grandfather said waspishly:

“This the castle?”

He waved at the massive pile of cut gray stone, with walls twenty feet thick and sixty high.

“Yes, sir,” said Hoddan.

“Hm-m-m,” snorted his grandfather. “Looks flimsy to me!” He waved his hand again. “You remember your cousins.”

Familiar, matter-of-fact nods came from the men of the battered ship. Hoddan hadn’t seen any of them for years, but they were his kin. They wore commonplace, workaday garments, but carried weapons slung negligently over their shoulders. They dragged the cryptic object behind them without particular formation or apparent discipline, but somehow they looked capable.

Hoddan and his grandfather strolled to the castle gate, their companions a little to their rear. They came to the gate. Nothing happened. Nobody challenged. There was the feel of peevish refusal to associate with persons who landed in spaceships.

“Shall we hail?” asked Hoddan.

“Nah!” snorted his grandfather. “I know his kind! Make him make the advances.” He waved to his descendents. “Open it up.”

Somebody casually pulled back a cover and reached in and threw switches.

“Found a power broadcast unit,” grunted Hoddan’s grandfather, “on a ship we took. Hooked it to the ship’s space-drive. When y’can’t use the space-drive, you still got power. Your Cousin Oliver whipped this thing up to use it.”

The enigmatic object made a spiteful noise. The castle gate shuddered and fell halfway from its hinges. The thing made a second noise. Stones splintered and began to collapse. Hoddan admired. Three more unpleasing but not violently loud sounds. Half the wall on either side of the gate was rubble, collapsing partly inside and partly outside the castle’s proper boundary.

Figures began to wave hysterically from the battlements. Hoddan’s grandfather yawned slightly.

“I always like to talk to people,” he observed, “when they’re worryin’ about what I’m likely to do to them, instead of what maybe they can do to me.”

Figures appeared on the ground level. They’d come out of a sally port to one side. They were even extravagantly cordial when Hoddan’s grandfather admitted that it might be convenient to talk over his business inside the castle, where there would be an easy-chair to sit in.


Presently they sat beside the fireplace in the great hall. Don Loris, jittering, shivered next to Hoddan’s grandfather. The Lady Fani appeared, icy-cold and defiant. She walked with frigid dignity to a place beside her father. Hoddan’s grandfather regarded her with a wicked, estimating gaze.

“Not bad!” he said brightly. “Not bad at all!” Then he turned to Hoddan. “Those retainers coming?”

“On the way,” said Hoddan. He was not happy. The Lady Fani had passed her eyes over him exactly as if he did not exist.

There was a murmurous noise. The dozen spearmen came marching into the great hall. They carried loot. It dripped on the floor and they blandly ignored such things as stray golden coins rolling off away from them. Stay-at-home inhabitants of the castle gazed at them in joyous wonderment.

Nedda came with them. The Lady Fani made a very slight, almost imperceptible movement. Hoddan said desperately:

“Fani, I know you hate me, though I can’t guess why. But here’s a thing that ... has to be taken care of! We made a raid on Walden ... that’s where the loot came from ... and my men kidnaped this girl ... her name is Nedda ... and brought her on the ship as a present to me ... because she’d admitted that she knew me! Nedda’s in an awful fix, Fani! She’s alone and friendless, and ... somebody has to take care of her! Her father’ll come for her eventually, no doubt, but somebody’s got to take care of her in the meantime, and I can’t do it!” Hoddan felt hysterical at the bare idea. “I can’t!”

The Lady Fani looked at Nedda. And Nedda wore the brave look of a girl so determinedly sweet that nobody could possibly bear it.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close