The Status Civilization - Cover

The Status Civilization

Public Domain

Chapter 8

Barrent had had enough of Omega’s shocks and surprises. He stayed close to his store, worked at his business, and kept alert for trouble. He was beginning to develop the Omegan look: a narrow, suspicious squint, a hand always near gun butt, feet ready to sprint. Like the older inhabitants, he was acquiring a sixth sense for danger.

At night, after the doors and windows were barred and the triplex alarm system had been set, Barrent would lie on his bed and try to remember Earth. Probing into the misty recesses of his memory, he found tantalizing hints and traces, and fragments of pictures. Here was a great highway curving toward the sun; a fragment of a huge, multi-level city; a closeup view of a starship’s curving hull. But the pictures were not continuous. They existed for the barest fraction of a second, then vanished.

On Saturday, Barrent spent the evening with Joe, Danis Foeren, and his neighbor Tem Rend. Joe’s pokra had prospered, and he had been able to bribe his way to the status of Free Citizen. Foeren was too blunt and straightforward for that; he had remained at the Residency level. But Tem Rend promised to take the big forger as an assistant if the Assassin’s Guild accepted his application.

The evening started pleasantly enough; but it ended, as usual, with an argument about Earth.

“Now look,” Joe said, “we all know what Earth is like. It’s a complex of gigantic floating cities. They’re built on artificial islands in the various oceans--”

“No, the cities are on land,” Barrent said.

“On water,” Joe said. “The people of Earth have returned to the sea. Everyone has special oxygen adaptors for breathing salt water. The land areas aren’t even used any more. The sea provides everything that--”

“It isn’t like that,” Barrent said. “I remember huge cities, but they were all on land.”

Foeren said, “You’re both wrong. What would Earth want with cities? She gave them up centuries ago. Earth is a landscaped park now. Everyone has his own home and several acres of land. All the forests and jungles have been allowed to grow back. People live with nature instead of trying to conquer it. Isn’t that right, Tem?”

“Almost but not quite,” Tem Rend said. “There are still cities, but they’re underground. Tremendous underground factories and production areas. The rest is like Foeren said.”

“There aren’t any more factories,” Foeren insisted stubbornly. “There’s no need of them. Any goods which a man requires can be produced by thought-control.”

“I’m telling you,” Joe said, “I can remember the floating cities! I used to live in the Nimui sector on the island of Pasiphae.”

“You think that proves anything?” Rend asked. “I remember that I worked on the eighteenth underground level of Nueva Chicaga. My work quota was twenty days a year. The rest of the time I spent outdoors in the forests--”

Foeren said, “That’s wrong, Tem. There aren’t any underground levels. I can remember distinctly that my father was a Controller, Third Class. Our family used to trek several hundred miles every year. When we needed something, my father would think it, and there it’d be. He promised to teach me how, but I guess he never did.”

Barrent said, “Well, a couple of us are certainly having false recall.”

“That’s certain,” Joe said. “But the question is, which of us is right?”

“We’ll never find out,” Rend said, “unless we can return to Earth.”

That ended the discussion.

Toward the end of the week, Barrent received another invitation from the Dream Shop, more strongly worded than the first. He decided to discharge the obligation that evening. He checked the temperature, and found that it had risen into the high nineties. Wiser now in Omegan ways, he packed a small satchel full of cold-weather clothing, and started out.

The Dream Shop was located in the exclusive Death’s Row section. Barrent went in, and found himself in a small, sumptuously furnished waiting room. A sleek young man behind a polished desk gave him an artificial smile.

“Could I be of service?” the young man asked. “My name is Nomis J. Arkdragen, assistant manager in charge of nightside dreams.”

“I’d like to know something about what happens,” Barrent said. “How one gets dreams, what kind of dreams, all that sort of thing.”

“Of course,” Arkdragen said. “Our service is easily explained, Citizen--”

“Barrent. Will Barrent.”

Arkdragen nodded and checked a name from a list in front of him. He looked up and said, “Our dreams are produced by the action of drugs upon the brain and the central nervous system. There are many drugs which produce the desired effect. Among the most useful are heroin, morphine, opium, coca, hemp, and peyote. All those are Earth products. Found only on Omega are Black Slipper, nace, manicee, tri-narcotine, djedalas, and the various products of the carmoid group. Any and all of these are dream-inducers.”

“I see,” Barrent said. “Then you sell drugs.”

“Not at all!” Arkdragen said. “Nothing so simple, nothing so crude. In ancient times on Earth, men administered drugs to themselves. The dreams which resulted were necessarily random in nature. You never knew what you would dream about, or for how long. You never knew if you would have a dream or a nightmare, a horror or a delight. This uncertainty has been removed from the modern Dream Shop. Nowadays, our drugs are carefully measured, mixed, and metered for each individual. There is an absolute precision in dream-making, ranging from the Nirvana-like calm of Black Slipper through the multicolored hallucinations of peyotl and tri-narcotine, to the sexual fantasies induced by nace and morphine, and at last to the memory-resurrecting dreams of the carmoid group.”

“It’s the memory-resurrecting dreams I’m interested in,” Barrent said.

Arkdragen frowned. “I wouldn’t recommend it for a first visit.”

“Why not?”

“Dreams of Earth are apt to be more unsettling than any imaginary productions. It’s usually advisable to build up a tolerance for them. I would advise a nice little sexual fantasy for your first visit. We have a special sale on sexual fantasies this week.”

Barrent shook his head. “I think I’d prefer the real thing.”

“You wouldn’t,” the assistant manager said, with a knowing smile. “Believe me, once one becomes accustomed to vicarious sex experiences, the real thing is pallid by comparison.”

“Not interested,” Barrent said. “What I want is a dream about Earth.”

“But you haven’t built up a tolerance!” Arkdragen said. “You aren’t even addicted.”

“Is addiction necessary?”

“It’s important,” Arkdragen told him, “as well as being inescapable. All our drugs are habit-forming, as the law requires. You see, to really appreciate a drug, you must build up a need for it. It heightens pleasure enormously, to say nothing of the increase in toleration. That’s why I suggest that you begin with--”

“I want a dream about Earth,” Barrent said.

“Very well,” Arkdragen said grudgingly. “But we will not be responsible for any traumas which accrue.”

He led Barrent into a long passageway. It was lined with doors, and behind some of them Barrent could hear dull moans and gasps of pleasure.

“Experiencers,” Arkdragen said, without further explanation. He took Barrent to an open room near the end of the corridor. Within sat a cheerful-looking bearded man in a white coat reading a book.

“Good evening, Doctor Wayn,” Arkdragen said. “This is Citizen Barrent. First visit. He insists upon an Earth dream.” Arkdragen turned and left.

“Well,” the doctor said, “I guess we can manage that.” He put down his book. “Just lie down over there, Citizen Barrent.”

In the center of the room was a long, adjustable table. Above it hung a complicated-looking instrument. At the end of the room were glass-sided cabinets filled with square jars; they reminded Barrent of his antidotes.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close