Four-day Planet - Cover

Four-day Planet

Public Domain

Chapter 6: Elementary, My Dear Kivelson

Before we left the lighted elevator car, we took a quick nose count. Besides the Kivelsons, there were five Javelin men--Ramón Llewellyn, Abdullah Monnahan, Abe Clifford, Cesário Vieira, and a whitebeard named Piet Dumont. Al Devis had been with us when we crashed the door out of the meeting room, but he’d fallen by the way. We had a couple of flashlights, so, after sending the car down to Bottom Level, we picked our way up the zigzag iron stairs to the catwalk, under the seventy-foot ceiling, and sat down in the dark.

Joe Kivelson was fretting about what would happen to the rest of his men.

“Fine captain I am, running out and leaving them!”

“If they couldn’t keep up, that’s their tough luck,” Oscar Fujisawa told him. “You brought out all you could. If you’d waited any longer, none of us would have gotten out.”

“They won’t bother with them,” I added. “You and Tom and Oscar, here, are the ones they want.”

Joe was still letting himself be argued into thinking he had done the right thing when we saw the lights of a lorry coming from uptown at ceiling level. A moment later, it backed to the catwalk, and Bish Ware stuck his head out from the pilot’s seat.

“Where do you gentlemen wish to go?” he asked.

“To the Javelin,” Joe said instantly.

“Huh-uh,” Oscar disagreed. “That’s the first place they’ll look. That’ll be all right for Ramón and the others, but if they catch you and Tom, they’ll shoot you and call it self-defense, or take you in and beat both of you to a jelly. This’ll blow over in fifteen or twenty hours, but I’m not going anywhere near my ship, now.”

“Drop us off on Second Level Down, about Eighth Street and a couple of blocks from the docks,” the mate, Llewellyn, said. “We’ll borrow some weapons from Patel the Pawnbroker and then circulate around and see what’s going on. But you and Joe and Oscar had better go underground for a while.”

“The Times,” I said. “We have a whole pillar-building to ourselves; we could hide half the population.”

That was decided upon. We all piled into the lorry, and Bish took it to an inconspicuous place on the Second Level and let down. Ramón Llewellyn and the others got out. Then we went up to Main City Level. We passed within a few blocks of Hunters’ Hall. There was a lot of noise, but no shooting.

Joe Kivelson didn’t have anything to say, on the trip, but he kept looking at the pilot’s seat in perplexity and apprehension. I think he expected Bish to try to ram the lorry through every building we passed by or over.

We found Dad in the editorial department on the top floor, feeding voice-tape to Julio while the latter made master sheets for teleprinting. I gave him a quick rundown on what had happened that he hadn’t gotten from my radio. Dad cluck-clucked in disapproval, either at my getting into a fight, assaulting an officer, or, literally, throwing money away.

Bish Ware seemed a little troubled. “I think,” he said, “that I shall make a circuit of my diocese, and see what can be learned from my devoted flock. Should I turn up anything significant, I will call it in.”

With that, he went tottering over to the elevator, stumbling on the way and making an unepiscopal remark. I watched him, and then turned to Dad.

“Did he have anything to drink after I left?” I asked.

“Nothing but about five cups of coffee.”

I mentally marked that: Add oddities, Bish Ware. He’d been at least four hours without liquor, and he was walking as unsteadily as when I’d first seen him at the spaceport. I didn’t know any kind of liquor that would persist like that.

Julio had at least an hour’s tape to transcribe, so Dad and Joe and Tom and Oscar and I went to the living room on the floor below. Joe was still being bewildered about Bish Ware.

“How’d he manage to come for us?” he wanted to know.

“Why, he was here with me all evening,” Dad said. “He came from the spaceport with Walt and Tom, and had dinner with us. He called a few people from here, and found out about the fake riot and police raid Ravick had cooked up. You’d be surprised at how much information he can pick up around town.”

Joe looked at his son, alarmed.

“Hey! You let him see--” he began.

“The wax on Bottom Level, in the Fourth Ward?” I asked. “He won’t blab about that. He doesn’t blab things where they oughtn’t be blabbed.”

“That’s right,” Dad backed me up. He was beginning to think of Bish as one of the Times staff, now. “We got a lot of tips from him, but nothing we give him gets out.” He got his pipe lit again. “What about that wax, Joe?” he asked. “Were you serious when you made that motion about a price of seventy-five centisols?”

“I sure was!” Joe declared. “That’s the real price, and always has been, and that’s what we get or Kapstaad doesn’t get any more wax.”

“If Murell can top it, maybe Kapstaad won’t get any more wax, period,” I said. “Who’s he with--Interstellar Import-Export?”

Anybody would have thought a barbwire worm had crawled onto Joe Kivelson’s chair seat under him.

“Where’d you hear that?” he demanded, which is the Galaxy’s silliest question to ask any newsman. “Tom, if you’ve been talking--”

“He hasn’t,” I said. “He didn’t need to. It sticks out a parsec in all directions.” I mentioned some of the things I’d noticed while interviewing Murell, and his behavior after leaving the ship. “Even before I’d talked to him, I wondered why Tom was so anxious to get aboard with me. He didn’t know we’d arranged to put Murell up here; he was going to take him to see that wax, and then take him to the Javelin. You were going to produce him at the meeting and have him bid against Belsher, only that tread-snail fouled your lines for you. So then you thought you had to stall off a new contract till he got out of the hospital.”

The two Kivelsons and Oscar Fujisawa were looking at one another; Joe and Tom in consternation, and Oscar in derision of both of them. I was feeling pretty good. Brother, I thought, Sherlock Holmes never did better, himself.

That, all of a sudden, reminded me of Dr. John Watson, whom Bish perceived to have been in Afghanistan. That was one thing Sherlock H. Boyd hadn’t deduced any answers for. Well, give me a little more time. And more data.

“You got it all figured out, haven’t you?” Joe was asking sarcastically. The sarcasm was as hollow as an empty oil drum.

“The Times,” Dad was saying, trying not to sound too proud, “has a very sharp reportorial staff, Joe.”

“It isn’t Interstellar,” Oscar told me, grinning. “It’s Argentine Exotic Organics. You know, everybody thought Joe, here, was getting pretty high-toned, sending his daughter to school on Terra. School wasn’t the only thing she went for. We got a letter from her, the last time the Cape Canaveral was in, saying that she’d contacted Argentine Organics and that a man was coming out on the Peenemünde, posing as a travel-book author. Well, he’s here, now.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close