Four-day Planet - Cover

Four-day Planet

Public Domain

Chapter 8: Practice, 50-Mm Gun

It seemed as though I had barely fallen asleep before I was wakened by the ship changing direction and losing altitude. I knew there were clouds coming in from the east, now, on the lower air currents, and I supposed that Joe was taking the Javelin below them to have a look at the surface of the sea. So I ran up to the conning tower, and when I got there I found that the lower clouds were solid over us, it was growing dark, and another hunter-ship was approaching with her lights on.

“Who is she?” I asked.

Bulldog, Nip Spazoni,” Joe told me. “Nip’s bringing my saloon fighter aboard, and he wants to meet Mr. Murell.”

I remembered that the man who had roughed up the Ravick goon in Martian Joe’s had made his getaway from town in the Bulldog. As I watched, the other ship’s boat dropped out from her stern, went end-over-end for an instant, and then straightened out and came circling around astern of us, matching our speed and ejecting a magnetic grapple.

Nip Spazoni and another man climbed out with life lines fast to their belts and crawled along our upper deck, catching life lines that were thrown out to them and snapping onto them before casting loose the ones from their boat. Somebody at the lock under the conning tower hauled them in.

Nip Spazoni’s name was Old Terran Italian, but he had slanted Mongoloid eyes and a sparse little chin-beard, which accounted for his nickname. The amount of intermarriage that’s gone on since the First Century, any resemblance between people’s names and their appearances is purely coincidental. Oscar Fujisawa, who looks as though his name ought to be Lief Ericsson, for example.

“Here’s your prodigal, Joe,” he was saying, peeling out of his parka as he came up the ladder. “I owe him a second gunner’s share on a monster, fifteen tons of wax.”

“Hey, that was a good one. You heading home, now?” Then he turned to the other man, who had followed Nip up the ladder. “You didn’t do a very good job, Bill,” he said. “The so-and-so’s out of the hospital by now.”

“Well, you know who takes care of his own,” the crewman said. “Give me something for effort; I tried hard enough.”

“No, I’m not going home yet,” Nip was answering. “I have hold-room for the wax of another one, if he isn’t bigger than ordinary. I’m going to go down on the bottom when the winds start and sit it out, and then try to get a second one.” Then he saw me. “Well, hey, Walt; when did you turn into a monster-hunter?”

Then he was introduced to Murell, and he and Joe and the man from Argentine Exotic Organics sat down at the chart table and Joe yelled for a pot of coffee, and they started talking prices and quantities of wax. I sat in, listening. This was part of what was going to be the big story of the year. Finally they got that talked out, and Joe asked Nip how the monsters were running.

“Why, good; you oughtn’t to have any trouble finding one,” Nip said. “There must have been a Nifflheim of a big storm off to the east, beyond the Lava Islands. I got mine north of Cape Terror. There’s huge patches of sea-spaghetti drifting west, all along the coast of Hermann Reuch’s Land. Here.” He pulled out a map. “You’ll find it all along here.”

Murell asked me if sea-spaghetti was something the monsters ate. His reading-up still had a few gaps, here and there.

“No, it’s seaweed; the name describes it. Screwfish eat it; big schools of them follow it. Gulpers and funnelmouths and bag-bellies eat screwfish, and monsters eat them. So wherever you find spaghetti, you can count on finding a monster or two.”

“How’s the weather?” Joe was asking.

“Good enough, now. It was almost full dark when we finished the cutting-up. It was raining; in fifty or sixty hours it ought to be getting pretty bad.” Spazoni pointed on the map. “Here’s about where I think you ought to try, Joe.”


I screened the Times, after Nip went back to his own ship. Dad said that Bish Ware had called in, with nothing to report but a vague suspicion that something nasty was cooking. Steve Ravick and Leo Belsher were taking things, even the announcement of the Argentine Exotic Organics price, too calmly.

“I think so, myself,” he added. “That gang has some kind of a knife up their sleeve. Bish is trying to find out just what it is.”

“Is he drinking much?” I asked.

“Well, he isn’t on the wagon, I can tell you that,” Dad said. “I’m beginning to think that he isn’t really sober till he’s half plastered.”

There might be something to that, I thought. There are all kinds of weird individualities about human metabolism; for all I knew, alcohol might actually be a food for Bish. Or he might have built up some kind of immunity, with antibodies that were themselves harmful if he didn’t have alcohol to neutralize them.

The fugitive from what I couldn’t bring myself to call justice proved to know just a little, but not much, more about engines than I did. That meant that Tom would still have to take Al Devis’s place, and I’d have to take his with the after 50-mm. So the ship went down to almost sea surface, and Tom and I went to the stern turret.

The gun I was to handle was an old-model Terran Federation Army infantry-platoon accompanying gun. The mount, however, was power-driven, like the mount for a 90-mm contragravity tank gun. Reconciling the firing mechanism of the former with the elevating and traversing gear of the latter had produced one of the craziest pieces of machinery that ever gave an ordnance engineer nightmares. It was a local job, of course. An ordnance engineer in Port Sandor doesn’t really have to be a raving maniac, but it’s a help.

Externally, the firing mechanism consisted of a pistol grip and trigger, which looked all right to me. The sight was a standard binocular light-gun sight, with a spongeplastic mask to save the gunner from a pair of black eyes every time he fired it. The elevating and traversing gear was combined in one lever on a ball-and-socket joint. You could move the gun diagonally in any direction in one motion, but you had to push or pull the opposite way. Something would go plonk when the trigger was pulled on an empty chamber, so I did some dry practice at the crests of waves.

“Now, mind,” Tom was telling me, “this is a lot different from a pistol.”

“So I notice,” I replied. I had also noticed that every time I got the cross hairs on anything and squeezed the trigger, they were on something else when the trigger went plonk. “All this gun needs is another lever, to control the motion of the ship.”

“Oh, that only makes it more fun,” Tom told me.

Then he loaded in a clip of five rounds, big expensive-looking cartridges a foot long, with bottle-neck cases and pointed shells.

The targets were regular tallow-wax skins, blown up and weighted at one end so that they would float upright. He yelled into the intercom, and one was chucked overboard ahead. A moment later, I saw it bobbing away astern of us. I put my face into the sight-mask, caught it, centered the cross hairs, and squeezed. The gun gave a thunderclap and recoiled past me, and when I pulled my face out of the mask, I saw a column of water and spray about fifty feet left and a hundred yards over.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close