Four-day Planet - Cover

Four-day Planet

Public Domain

Chapter 15: Vigilantes

When the Pequod surfaced under the city roof, I saw what was cooking. There were twenty or more ships, either on the concrete docks or afloat in the pools. The waterfront was crowded with men in boat clothes, forming little knots and breaking up to join other groups, all milling about talking excitedly. Most of them were armed; not just knives and pistols, which is normal costume, but heavy rifles or submachine guns. Down to the left, there was a commotion and people were getting out of the way as a dozen men come pushing through, towing a contragravity skid with a 50-mm ship’s gun on it. I began not liking the looks of things, and Glenn Murell, who had come up from his nap below, was liking it even less. He’d come to Fenris to buy tallow-wax, not to fight a civil war. I didn’t want any of that stuff, either. Getting rid of Ravick, Hallstock and Belsher would come under the head of civic improvements, but towns are rarely improved by having battles fought in them.

Maybe I should have played dumb and waited till I’d talked to Dad face to face, before making any statements about what had happened on the Javelin, I thought. Then I shrugged that off. From the minute the Javelin had failed to respond to Dad’s screen-call and the general call had gone out to the hunter-fleet, everybody had been positive of what had happened. It was too much like the loss of the Claymore, which had made Ravick president of the Co-op.

Port Sandor had just gotten all of Steve Ravick that anybody could take. They weren’t going to have any more of him, and that was all there was to it.

Joe Kivelson was grumbling about his broken arm; that meant that when a fight started, he could only go in swinging with one fist, and that would cut the fun in half. Another reason why Joe is a wretched shot is that he doesn’t like pistols. They’re a little too impersonal to suit him. They weren’t for Oscar Fujisawa; he had gotten a Mars-Consolidated Police Special out of the chart-table drawer and put it on, and he was loading cartridges into a couple of spare clips. Down on the main deck, the gunner was serving out small arms, and there was an acrimonious argument because everybody wanted a chopper and there weren’t enough choppers to go around. Oscar went over to the ladder head and shouted down at them.

“Knock off the argument, down there; you people are all going to stay on the ship. I’m going up to the Times; as soon as I’m off, float her out into the inner channel and keep her afloat, and don’t let anybody aboard you’re not sure of.”

“That where we’re going?” Joe Kivelson asked.

“Sure. That’s the safest place in town for Mr. Murell and I want to find out exactly what’s going on here.”

“Well, here; you don’t need to put me in storage,” Murell protested. “I can take care of myself.”

Add, Famous Last Words, I thought.

“I’m sure of it, but we can’t take any chances,” Oscar told him. “Right now, you are Fenris’s Indispensable Man. If you’re not around to buy tallow-wax, Ravick’s won the war.”

Oscar and Murell and Joe and Tom Kivelson and I went down into the boat; somebody opened the port and we floated out and lifted onto the Second Level Down. There was a fringe of bars and cafes and dance halls and outfitters and ship chandlers for a couple of blocks back, and then we ran into the warehouse district. Oscar ran up town to a vehicle shaft above the Times Building, careful to avoid the neighborhood of Hunters’ Hall or the Municipal Building.

There was a big crowd around the Times, mostly business district people and quite a few women. They were mostly out on the street and inside the street-floor vehicle port. Not a disorderly crowd, but I noticed quite a few rifles and submachine guns. As we slipped into the vehicle port, they recognized the Pequod’s boat, and there was a rush after it. We had trouble getting down without setting it on anybody, and more trouble getting out of it. They were all friendly--too friendly for comfort. They began cheering us as soon as they saw us.

Oscar got Joe Kivelson, with his arm in a sling, out in front where he could be seen, and began shouting: “Please make way; this man’s been injured. Please don’t crowd; we have an injured man here.” The crowd began shoving back, and in the rear I could hear them taking it up: “Joe Kivelson; he’s been hurt. They’re carrying Joe Kivelson off.” That made Joe curse a blue streak, and somebody said, “Oh, he’s been hurt real bad; just listen to him!”

When we got up to the editorial floor, Dad and Bish Ware and a few others were waiting at the elevator for us. Bish was dressed as he always was, in his conservative black suit, with the organic opal glowing in his neckcloth. Dad had put a coat on over his gun. Julio was wearing two pistols and a knife a foot long. There was a big crowd in the editorial office--ships’ officers, merchants, professional people. I noticed Sigurd Ngozori, the banker, and Professor Hartzenbosch--he was wearing a pistol, too, rather self-consciously--and the Zen Buddhist priest, who evidently had something under his kimono. They all greeted us enthusiastically and shook hands with us. I noticed that Joe Kivelson was something less than comfortable about shaking hands with Bish Ware. The fact that Bish had started the search for the Javelin that had saved our lives didn’t alter the opinion Joe had formed long ago that Bish was just a worthless old souse. Joe’s opinions are all collapsium-plated and impervious to outside influence.

I got Bish off to one side as we were going into the editorial room.

“How did you get onto it?” I asked.

He chuckled deprecatingly. “No trick at all,” he said. “I just circulated and bought drinks for people. The trouble with Ravick’s gang, it’s an army of mercenaries. They’ll do anything for the price of a drink, and as long as my rich uncle stays solvent, I always have the price of a drink. In the five years I’ve spent in this Garden Spot of the Galaxy, I’ve learned some pretty surprising things about Steve Ravick’s operations.”

“Well, surely, nobody was going around places like Martian Joe’s or One Eye Swanson’s boasting that they’d put a time bomb aboard the Javelin,” I said.

“It came to pretty nearly that,” Bish said. “You’d be amazed at how careless people who’ve had their own way for a long time can get. For instance, I’ve known for some time that Ravick has spies among the crews of a lot of hunter-ships. I tried, a few times, to warn some of these captains, but except for Oscar Fujisawa and Corkscrew Finnegan, none of them would listen to me. It wasn’t that they had any doubt that Ravick would do that; they just wouldn’t believe that any of their crew were traitors.

“I’ve suspected this Devis for a long time, and I’ve spoken to Ramón Llewellyn about him, but he just let it go in one ear and out the other. For one thing, Devis always has more money to spend than his share of the Javelin take would justify. He’s the showoff type; always buying drinks for everybody and playing the big shot. Claims to win it gambling, but all the times I’ve ever seen him gambling, he’s been losing.

“I knew about this hoard of wax we saw the day Murell came in for some time. I always thought it was being held out to squeeze a better price out of Belsher and Ravick. Then this friend of mine with whom I was talking aboard the Peenemünde mentioned that Murell seemed to know more about the tallow-wax business than about literary matters, and after what happened at the meeting and afterward, I began putting two and two together. When I crashed that party at Hunters’ Hall, I heard a few things, and they all added up.

“And then, about thirty hours after the Javelin left port, I was in the Happy Haven, and who should I see, buying drinks for the house, but Al Devis. I let him buy me one, and he told me he’d strained his back hand-lifting a power-unit cartridge. A square dance got started a little later, and he got into it. His back didn’t look very strained to me. And then I heard a couple of characters in One Eye Swanson’s betting that the Javelin would never make port again.”

I knew what had happened from then on. If it hadn’t been for Bish Ware, we’d still be squatting around a fire down on the coast of Hermann Reuch’s Land till it got too cold to cut wood, and then we’d freeze. I mentioned that, but Bish just shrugged it off and suggested we go on in and see what was happening inside.

“Where is Al Devis?” I asked. “A lot of people want to talk to him.”

“I know they do. I want to get to him first, while he’s still in condition to do some talking of his own. But he just dropped out of sight, about the time your father started calling the Javelin.”

“Ah!” I drew a finger across under my chin, and mentioned the class of people who tell no tales. Bish shook his head slowly.

“I doubt it,” he said. “Not unless it was absolutely necessary. That sort of thing would have a discouraging effect the next time Ravick wanted a special job done. I’m pretty sure he isn’t at Hunters’ Hall, but he’s hiding somewhere.”

Joe Kivelson had finished telling what had happened aboard the Javelin when we joined the main crowd, and everybody was talking about what ought to be done with Steve Ravick. Oddly enough, the most bloodthirsty were the banker and the professor. Well, maybe it wasn’t so odd. They were smart enough to know what Steve Ravick was really doing to Port Sandor, and it hurt them as much as it did the hunters. Dad and Bish seemed to be the only ones present who weren’t in favor of going down to Hunters’ Hall right away and massacring everybody in it, and then doing the same at the Municipal Building.

“That’s what I say!” Joe Kivelson was shouting. “Let’s go clean out both rats’ nests. Why, there must be a thousand hunter-ship men at the waterfront, and look how many people in town who want to help. We got enough men to eat Hunters’ Hall whole.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close