Star Surgeon - Cover

Star Surgeon

Copyright© 2017 by Alan Edward Nourse

Chapter 2: Hospital Seattle

It was a long way from the students’ barracks to the pathology sector where Black Doctor Arnquist lived. Dal Timgar decided not to try to go to the barracks first. It was after midnight, and even though the message had said “regardless of hour,” Dal shrank from the thought of awakening a physician of the Black Service at two o’clock in the morning. He was already later arriving at Hospital Seattle than he had expected to be, and quite possibly Black Doctor Arnquist would be retiring. It seemed better to go there without delay.

But one thing took priority. He found a quiet spot in the waiting room near the subway entrance and dug into his day pack for the pressed biscuit and the canister of water he had there. He broke off a piece of the biscuit and held it up for Fuzzy to see.

Fuzzy wriggled down onto his hand, and a tiny mouth appeared just below the shoe-button eyes. Bit by bit Dal fed his friend the biscuit, with squirts of water in between bites. Finally, when the biscuit was gone, Dal squirted the rest of the water into Fuzzy’s mouth and rubbed him between the eyes. “Feel better now?” he asked.

The creature seemed to understand; he wriggled in Dal’s hand and blinked his eyes sleepily. “All right, then,” Dal said. “Off to sleep.”

Dal started to tuck him back into his jacket pocket, but Fuzzy abruptly sprouted a pair of forelegs and began struggling fiercely to get out again. Dal grinned and replaced the little creature in the crook of his arm. “Don’t like that idea so well, eh? Okay, friend. If you want to watch, that suits me.”

He found a map of the city at the subway entrance, and studied it carefully. Like other hospital cities on Earth, Seattle was primarily a center for patient care and treatment rather than a supply or administrative center. Here in Seattle special facilities existed for the care of the intelligent marine races that required specialized hospital care. The depths of Puget Sound served as a vast aquatic ward system where creatures which normally lived in salt-water oceans on their native planets could be cared for, and the specialty physicians who worked with marine races had facilities here for research and teaching in their specialty. The dry-land sectors of the hospital were organized to support the aquatic wards; the surgeries, the laboratories, the pharmacies and living quarters all were arranged on the periphery of the salt-water basin, and rapid-transit tubes carried medical workers, orderlies, nurses and physicians to the widespread areas of the hospital city.

The pathology sector lay to the north of the city, and Black Doctor Arnquist was the chief pathologist of Hospital Seattle. Dal found a northbound express tube, climbed into an empty capsule, and pressed the buttons for the pathology sector. Presently the capsule was shifted automatically into the pressure tube that would carry him thirty miles north to his destination.

It was the first time Dal had ever visited a Black Doctor in his quarters, and the idea made him a little nervous. Of all the medical services on Hospital Earth, none had the power of the Black Service of Pathology. Traditionally in Earth medicine, the pathologists had always occupied a position of power and discipline. The autopsy rooms had always been the “Temples of Truth” where the final, inarguable answers in medicine were ultimately found, and for centuries pathologists had been the judges and inspectors of the profession of medicine.

And when Earth had become Hospital Earth, with status as a probationary member of the Galactic Confederation of Worlds, it was natural that the Black Service of Pathology had become the governors and policy-makers, regimenting every aspect of the medical services provided by Earth physicians.

Dal knew that the medical training council, which would be reviewing his application in just a few hours, was made up of physicians from all the services--the Green Service of Medicine, the Blue Service of Diagnosis, the Red Service of Surgery, as well as the Auxiliary Services--but the Black Doctors who sat on the council would have the final say, the final veto power.

He wondered now why Black Doctor Arnquist wanted to see him. At first he had thought there might be special news for him, word perhaps that his assignment had come through after all, that the interview tomorrow would not be held. But on reflection, he realized that didn’t make sense. If that were the case, Doctor Arnquist would have said so, and directed him to report to a ship. More likely, he thought, the Black Doctor wanted to see him only to soften the blow, to help him face the decision that seemed inevitable.

He left the pneumatic tube and climbed on the jitney that wound its way through the corridors of the pathology sector and into the quiet, austere quarters of the resident pathologists. He found the proper concourse, and moments later he was pressing his thumb against the identification plate outside the Black Doctor’s personal quarters.


Black Doctor Thorvold Arnquist looked older now than when Dal had last seen him. His silvery gray hair was thinning, and there were tired lines around his eyes and mouth that Dal did not remember from before. The old man’s body seemed more wispy and frail than ever, and the black cloak across his shoulders rustled as he led Dal back into a book-lined study.

The Black Doctor had not yet gone to bed. On a desk in the corner of the study several books lay open, and a roll of paper was inserted in the dicto-typer. “I knew you would get the message when you arrived,” he said as he took Dal’s pack, “and I thought you might be later than you planned. A good trip, I trust. And your friend here? He enjoys shuttle travel?” He smiled and stroked Fuzzy with a gnarled finger. “I suppose you wonder why I wanted to see you.”

Dal Timgar nodded slowly. “About the interview tomorrow?”

“Ah, yes. The interview.” The Black Doctor made a sour face and shook his head. “A bad business for you, that interview. How do you feel about it?”

Dal spread his hands helplessly. As always, the Black Doctor’s questions cut through the trimming to the heart of things. They were always difficult questions to answer.

“I ... I suppose it’s something that’s necessary,” he said finally.

“Oh?” the Black Doctor frowned. “But why necessary for you if not for the others? How many were there in your class, including all the services? Three hundred? And out of the three hundred only one was refused assignment.” He looked up sharply at Dal, his pale blue eyes very alert in his aged face. “Right?”

“Yes, sir.”

“And you really feel it’s just normal procedure that your application is being challenged?”

“No, sir.”

“How do you feel about it, Dal? Angry, maybe?”

Dal squirmed. “Yes, sir. You might say that.”

“Perhaps even bitter,” the Black Doctor said.

“I did as good work as anyone else in my class,” Dal said hotly. “I did my part as well as anyone could, I didn’t let up once all the way through. Bitter! Wouldn’t you feel bitter?”

The Black Doctor nodded slowly. “Yes, I imagine I would,” he said, sinking down into the chair behind the desk with a sigh. “As a matter of fact, I do feel a little bitter about it, even though I was afraid that it might come to this in the end. I can’t blame you for your feelings.” He took a deep breath. “I wish I could promise you that everything would be all right tomorrow, but I’m afraid I can’t. The council has a right to review your qualifications, and it holds the power to assign you to a patrol ship on the spot, if it sees fit. Conceivably, a Black Doctor might force the council’s approval, if he were the only representative of the Black service there. But I will not be the only Black Doctor sitting on the council tomorrow.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close