Badge of Infamy
Chapter 5: Surgery

Public Domain

Doc Feldman’s luck was better than he had expected. For an Earth year, he was a doctor again, moving about from village to village as he was needed and doing what he could.

The village had been isolated during the early colonization when Mars made a feeble attempt to break free of Space Lobby. Their supplies had been cut off and they had been forced to do for themselves. Now they were largely self-sufficient. They grew native plants and extracted hormones in crude little chemical plants. The hormones were traded to the big chemical plants for a pittance to buy what had to come from Earth. Other jury-rigged affairs synthesized much of their food. But mostly they learned to get along on what Mars provided.

Doc Feldman learned from them. Money was no longer part of his life. He ate with whatever family needed him and slipped into the life around him.

He was learning Martian medicine and finding that his Earth courses were mostly useless. No wonder the villagers distrusted Lobby doctors. Doc had his own little laboratory where he had managed to start making Mars-normal penicillin--a primitive antibiotic, but better than nothing.

Jake had come to remind him that it was his first anniversary, and now they were smoking bracky together.

“Sheer luck, Jake,” Doc repeated. “You Martians are tough. But some day someone is going to die under my care, with the little equipment I have. Then--”

Jake nodded slowly. “Maybe, Doc. And maybe some day Mars will break free of the Lobbies. You’d better pray for that.”

“I’ve been--” Doc stopped, realizing what he’d started to say. The old man chuckled.

“You’ve been talking rebellion for months, Doc. I hear rumors. Whenever you get mad, you want us to secede. But you don’t really mean it yet. You can’t picture any government but the one you’re used to.”

Doc grinned. Jake had a point, but it was not as strong as it would have been a few months before. The towns under the Lobby were cheap imitations of Earth, but here, divorced to a large extent from the lobbies, the villages were making Mars their own. Their ways might be strange; but they worked.

Jake shifted his body in the weak sunlight. “Newton village forgot to report a death on time. I hear Ryan is sweating them out, trying to prove it was your fault.”

There was no evidence against him yet, Doc was sure. But Chris was out to prove something, and to get a reputation as a top-flight administrator. It must have hurt when they shipped her here as head of the lesser hemisphere of Mars. She’d expected to use Feldman as a front while she became the actual ruler of the whole Lobby. Now she wanted to strike back.

“She’s using blackmail,” he said, and some of his old bitterness was in his voice. “Anyone taking treatment from an herb doctor in this section is cut off from Medical Lobby service. Damn it, Jake, that could mean letting people die!”

“Yeah.” Jake sighed softly. “It could mean letting people begin to think about getting rid of the Lobby, too. Well, I gotta help harvest the bracky. Take it easy on operating for a while, will you, Doc?”

“All right, Jake. But stop keeping the serious cases a secret. Two men died last month because you wouldn’t call me for surgery. I’ve broken all my oaths already. It doesn’t matter anymore.”

“It matters, boy. We’ve been lucky, but some day one case will go to the hospital and they’ll find your former work. Then they’ll really be after you. The less you do the better.”

Doc watched Jake slump off, then turned down into the little root cellar and back toward the room concealed behind it, where his crude laboratory lay. For the moment, he was free to work on the mystery of the black spots.

He kept running into them--always on the body of someone who died of something that seemed like a normal disease. Without a microscope, he was almost helpless, but he had taken specimens and tried to culture them. Some of his cultures had grown, though they might be nothing but unknown Martian fungi or bacteria. Mars was dry and almost devoid of air, but plants and a few smaller insects had survived and adapted. It wasn’t by any means lifeless.

Without a microscope, he could do little but depend on his files of cases. But today there was new evidence. A villager had filched an Earth Medical Journal from the tractor driven by Chris Ryan and forwarded it to him. He found the black specks mentioned in a single paragraph, under skin diseases. Investigation of the diet was being made, since all cases were among people eating synthetics.

There was another article on aberrant cases--a few strange little misbehaviors in classical syndromes. He studied that, wondering. It had to be the same thing. Diet didn’t account for the fact that the specks appeared only when the patient was near death.

Nor did it account for the hard lump at the base of the neck which he found in every case he could check. That might be coincidence, but he doubted it.

Whatever it was, it aggravated any other disease the patient had and made seemingly simple diseases turn out to be completely and rapidly fatal. Once syphilis had been called “The Great Imitator”. This gave promise of being worse.

He shook his head, cursing his lack of equipment. Each month more people were dying with these specks--and he was helpless.

The concealed door broke open suddenly and a boy thrust his head in. “Doc, there’s a man here from Einstein. Says his wife’s dying.”

The man was already coming into the room.

“She’s powerful sick, Doc. Had a bellyache, fever, began throwing up. Pains under her belly, like she’s had before. But this time it’s awful.”

Doc shot a few questions at him, frowning at what he heard. Then he began packing the few things that might help. There should be no appendicitis on Mars. The bugs responsible for that shouldn’t have adapted to Mars-normal. But more and more infections found ways to cross the border. Gangrene had been able to get by without change, it seemed. So far, none of the contagious infections except polio and the common cold had made the jump.

This sounded like an advanced case, perhaps already involving peritonitis.

So far, he’d been lucky with penicillin, but each time he used it with grave doubts of its action on the Mars-adapted patients. If the appendix had burst, however, it was the only possible treatment.

He riffled through his stores; There was ether enough, fortunately. The villagers had made that for him out of Martian plants, using their complicated fermentation processes. He yelled for Jake, and the boy brought the old man back a moment later.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close