Badge of Infamy - Cover

Badge of Infamy

Public Domain

Chapter 13: Susceptibility

Doc could feel the tension in the village where GHQ was temporarily located long before they were close enough for details to register. The people were gathered in clusters, staring at the sky where the station must be. A few were pacing up and down, gesticulating with tight sweeps of their arms.

One woman suddenly went into even more violent action. She leaped into the air and then took off at a rapid trot, then a run. Her hands were tearing at her clothes and her mouth seemed to be working violently. She was halfway to the top of the nearest dune before a rifle cracked. She dropped, to twitch once and lie still.

Almost with her death, another figure leaped from one of the houses, his face bare of the necessary aspirator. He took off at a violent run, but he was falling from lack of air before the bullet ended his struggles.

The people suddenly began to move apart, as if trying to get away from each other. For weeks they had faced the horror with courage; now it was finally too much for them.

Tension mounted as no news came from the cities. Doc noticed that it seemed to aggravate or speed up the disease. He saw three men shot in the next half-hour.

He was trying to calm them with word of a possible cure for the plague, but their reactions were as curiously dull as those of Jake had been. As he spoke, they faced him with set expressions. At his mention of the need for the blood of young children, they turned from him, sullenly silent.

Jake came over, nodding unhappily. “It’s what I was afraid might happen, Doc. George Lynn! Tell Doc what’s wrong.”

Lynn was reluctant, but he finally stumbled out his explanation. “It ain’t like you, Doc. Comes from that Lobby woman you got. It’s her dirty idea. We’ve seen the Lobby doctors cutting open our kids, poisoning their blood, and bleeding them dry. That ain’t gonna happen again, Doc. You tell her it ain’t!”

Doc swore as he realized their ignorance. An unexplained vaccination looked like poisoning of the blood. But he couldn’t understand the bleeding part until Jake filled him in.

“Northport infant’s wing. Each department has its own blood bank and donation is compulsory. Southport started it a couple months ago, too.”

The long arm of the Lobby had reached out again. Now if he ever got them to try the treatment, it would be only after long sessions of preparing them with the facts, and there was hardly enough time for the crucial work!

By afternoon, Judge Ben Wilson reached them. His voice shook with fatigue as he climbed up to address the crowd through a power megaphone. “Southport’s going crazy.” He had to pause for breath between each sentence. “Earth’s pulling back all the important people. They’re packing them into the ships. They’re leaving only colonials with no Earth rights. Those ships left when they decided the plague was coming from here. They won’t let anybody back until the plague is licked. There won’t be an Earth technician on Mars tomorrow.”

“No bombs?” someone called.

“No bombs. The ships must have started before you rebelled, maybe meant honestly to save their own kind. But now it’s a military action, and don’t think it won’t mean trouble. The poor devils in the city bet on the wrong horse. Now they can’t run their food factories or anything else for long. Not without technicians. They’ve got to whip you now. Up to this time, they’ve been fighting for the Lobbies. Now they’ll fight you for their own bellies to get your supplies. And they’ve still got shuttle rockets and fuel for them. Now beat it. I gotta confer with Jake.”

Doc started after the judge, but Dr. Harkness caught his arm and drew him aside. Chris followed.

“I’ve found another epidemic,” Harkness told them. “Over at Marconi. It’s kept me on the run all night, and now half the village is down with it. Starts like a common cold, runs a fair fever, and the skin breaks out all over with bright red dots...”

He went on describing it. Chris began asking him about what medical supplies he had brought with him, pilfered from Northport hospital. She seemed to know what it was, but refused to say until she saw the cases. Doc also preferred to wait. Sometimes things weren’t as bad as they seemed, though usually they were worse.

Marconi was dead to all outward appearances, with nobody on the streets. It had been a village of great hopes a week before, since this was where they had decided to experiment with switching the people back to Earth-normal. They’d had the best chance of survival of anyone on Mars until this came up.

Three people lay on the beds in the first house Harkness led them to. The room was darkened, and a man was stumbling around, trying to tend the others, though the little spots showed on his skin. He grinned weakly. “Hi, Doc. I guess we’re making a lot of trouble, ain’t we?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close