The Highest Treason - Cover

The Highest Treason

Copyright© 2017 by Randall Garrett

Chapter 3: The Escape

“Are you sure you understand, Tallis?” MacMaine asked in Kerothic.

The alien general nodded emphatically. “Perfectly. Your Kerothic is not so bad that I could misunderstand your instructions. I still don’t understand why you are doing this. Oh I know the reasons you’ve given me, but I don’t completely believe them. However, I’ll go along with you. The worst that could happen would be for me to be killed, and I would sooner face death in trying to escape than in waiting for your executioners. If this is some sort of trap, some sort of weird way your race’s twisted idea of kindness has evolved to dispose of me, then I’ll accept your sentence. It’s better than starving to death or facing a firing squad.”

“Not a firing squad,” MacMaine said. “That wouldn’t be kind. An odorless, but quite deadly gas would be pumped into this cell while you slept.”

“That’s worse. When death comes, I want to face it and fight it off as long as possible, not have it sneaking up on me in my sleep. I think I’d rather starve.”

“You would,” said MacMaine. “The food that was captured with you has nearly run out, and we haven’t been able to capture any more. But rather than let you suffer, they would have killed you painlessly.” He glanced at the watch on his instrument cuff. “Almost time.”

MacMaine looked the alien over once more. Tallis was dressed in the uniform of Earth’s Space Force, and the insignia of a full general gleamed on his collar. His face and hands had been sprayed with an opaque, pink-tan film, and his hairless head was covered with a black wig. He wouldn’t pass a close inspection, but MacMaine fervently hoped that he wouldn’t need to.

Think it out, be sure you’re right, then go ahead. Sebastian MacMaine had done just that. For three months, he had worked over the details of his plan, making sure that they were as perfect as he was capable of making them. Even so, there was a great deal of risk involved, and there were too many details that required luck for MacMaine to be perfectly happy about the plan.

But time was running out. As the general’s food supply dwindled, his execution date neared, and now it was only two days away. There was no point in waiting until the last minute; it was now or never.

There were no spying TV cameras in the general’s cell, no hidden microphones to report and record what went on. No one had ever escaped from the Space Force’s prison, therefore, no one ever would.

MacMaine glanced again at his watch. It was time. He reached inside his blouse and took out a fully loaded handgun.

For an instant, the alien officer’s eyes widened, and he stiffened as if he were ready to die in an attempt to disarm the Earthman. Then he saw that MacMaine wasn’t holding it by the butt; his hand was clasped around the middle of the weapon.

“This is a chance I have to take,” MacMaine said evenly. “With this gun, you can shoot me down right here and try to escape alone. I’ve told you every detail of our course of action, and, with luck, you might make it alone.” He held out his hand, with the weapon resting on his open palm.

General Tallis eyed the Earthman for a long second. Then, without haste, he took the gun and inspected it with a professional eye.

“Do you know how to operate it?” MacMaine asked, forcing calmness into his voice.

“Yes. We’ve captured plenty of them.” Tallis thumbed the stud that allowed the magazine to slide out of the butt and into his hand. Then he checked the mechanism and the power cartridges. Finally, he replaced the magazine and put the weapon into the empty sleeve holster that MacMaine had given him.

MacMaine let his breath out slowly. “All right,” he said. “Let’s go.”


He opened the door of the cell, and both men stepped out into the corridor. At the far end of the corridor, some thirty yards away, stood the two armed guards who kept watch over the prisoner. At that distance, it was impossible to tell that Tallis was not what he appeared to be.

The guard had been changed while MacMaine was in the prisoner’s cell, and he was relying on the lax discipline of the soldiers to get him and Tallis out of the cell block. With luck, the guards would have failed to listen too closely to what they had been told by the men they replaced; with even greater luck, the previous guardsmen would have failed to be too explicit about who was in the prisoner’s cell. With no luck at all, MacMaine would be forced to shoot to kill.

MacMaine walked casually up to the two men, who came to an easy attention.

“I want you two men to come with me. Something odd has happened, and General Quinby and I want two witnesses as to what went on.”

“What happened, sir?” one of them asked.

“Don’t know for sure,” MacMaine said in a puzzled voice. “The general and I were talking to the prisoner, when all of a sudden he fell over. I think he’s dead. I couldn’t find a heartbeat. I want you to take a look at him so that you can testify that we didn’t shoot him or anything.”

Obediently, the two guards headed for the cell, and MacMaine fell in behind them. “You couldn’t of shot him, sir,” said the second guard confidently. “We would of heard the shot.”

“Besides,” said the other, “it don’t matter much. He was going to be gassed day after tomorrow.”

As the trio approached the cell, Tallis pulled the door open a little wider and, in doing so, contrived to put himself behind it so that his face couldn’t be seen. The young guards weren’t too awed by a full general; after all, they’d be generals themselves someday. They were much more interested in seeing the dead alien.

As the guards reached the cell door, MacMaine unholstered his pistol from his sleeve and brought it down hard on the head of the nearest youth. At the same time, Tallis stepped from behind the door and clouted the other.

Quickly, MacMaine disarmed the fallen men and dragged them into the open cell. He came out again and locked the door securely. Their guns were tossed into an empty cell nearby.

“They won’t be missed until the next change of watch, in four hours,” MacMaine said. “By then, it won’t matter, one way or another.”

Getting out of the huge building that housed the administrative offices of the Space Force was relatively easy. A lift chute brought the pair to the main floor, and, this late in the evening, there weren’t many people on that floor. The officers and men who had night duty were working on the upper floors. Several times, Tallis had to take a handkerchief from his pocket and pretend to blow his nose in order to conceal his alien features from someone who came too close, but no one appeared to notice anything out of the ordinary.

As they walked out boldly through the main door, fifteen minutes later, the guards merely came to attention and relaxed as a tall colonel and a somewhat shorter general strode out. The general appeared to be having a fit of sneezing, and the colonel was heard to say: “That’s quite a cold you’ve picked up, sir. Better get over to the dispensary and take an anti-coryza shot.”

“Mmmf,” said the general. “Ha-CHOO!

Getting to the spaceport was no problem at all. MacMaine had an official car waiting, and the two sergeants in the front seat didn’t pay any attention to the general getting in the back seat because Colonel MacMaine was talking to them. “We’re ready to roll, sergeant,” he said to the driver. “General Quinby wants to go straight to the Manila, so let’s get there as fast as possible. Take-off is scheduled in ten minutes.” Then he got into the back seat himself. The one-way glass partition that separated the back seat from the front prevented either of the two men from looking back at their passengers.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close